Should I cut my mother out of my life?

Run now. Was in a similar situation with my grandmother.
Was so toxic and glad I finally shut that door

That is a terrible thing for your mother to do. I know shes your mom. But you have to be protective over your child also. I have a grandson that is 5 years old. And he has autisim. He is always so happy. And the most loveable little boy. And hes also very smart. Nobody should ever be that way to a child. Especially one with autisim.

I would definitely cut her ass out of my life.

Cut ties! You and your children don’t need that negativity in your life!

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I cut my mother out of my life? - Mamas Uncut

Unfortunately shes got serious issues and most likely will never get help. You can try and do everything possible but your only breaking your own heart. Do what is positive and good for you and your child for a better future for the 2 of you. No grandma would ever say such horrific things… My advice is cut ties asap

5 Likes

So sorry you’re going through , I hope you have people to support and love you and your kids. Prayers and best of luck

Me & my siblings go through the exact same thing with our mother… I have shut her out of our lives multiple times bcus of the things she has said to my kids… The names she has called them… In my opinion she is not going to change & you don’t want your kids growing up with mental & emotional issues bcus of her… Your kids are numero uno, so I say she has to go.

1 Like

Absolutely! Id be forever no contact. Document everything and journal anything you hear or see, it’s better to have than not. I would never let someone like that see my kids or be apart of our lives. Being a grandparent isn’t a right, it’s an honor…one she probably doesn’t deserve. I’m so sorry you are going through this.

1 Like

I cut my mom out of my life. She was very toxic to my family and I. It was so difficult and I miss her dearly but toxic is toxic. It sounds like she doesn’t treat you or your child with respect, and when it involves your kids that above all else should be the answer.

(my mother was coming up with lies about my husband and whatnot. Causing serious issues with false accusations of abuse)

2 Likes

Block her and dont answer the door for her anymore. Twll your othwr familynto stop updating you about her, cut her off. Call the cops if shes being persistent.

Shell get the hint eventually

1 Like

mine died from her mental illnesses 7 years ago next month people still believe and cut me off her lies that im a junkie from 20 years ago defend your child tooth and nail i know it hurts cut her off cut them all off anyone that doesnt get to know you anyone that automatically disowns you based on her lies is just looking for a reason not to love you
its going to hurt for the rest of your life but if she and they have no access to you they cant continue to hurt you
and thats the issue you can forgive the past but only when they stop… they wont stop on their own you have to stop them it isnt to hurt them it is to protect you value your peace protect yourself and your family
im willing to bet you dont like the person you become when you have to deal with her
im sorry create your own tribe cut toxic ties

1 Like

Spreading untrue rumors about me and then insulting my kid, there is no way. I would definitely move on. My oldest has ADHD and possibly Aspergers so I can relate a little with how you can’t just explain away some behaviors. If she’s not willing to try to understand and instead, end up traumatizing him, she doesn’t need to be around him.

I haven’t spoken to my mother in over 5 years, I am happy and at peace with my decision. It was a long time coming with tons of drama, my mother also has some serious mental health issues and spreads false rumors. I got tired of forgiving her because it was the same vicious cycle. The whole concept of forgiving her because she’s my mother kept me in a truly toxic relationship for longer than I should have been. Do what’s right for your own sanity. :gift_heart::sparkling_heart::heartpulse:

2 Likes

No you are absolutely not wrong feeling this way! I would have cut all ties with her already long ago. :unamused::broken_heart::broken_heart:

2 Likes

Cut her off. Neither you nor your son need that kind of BS in your lives

Your mother is toxic. Keep your innocent child away from her until she gets the help she needs. If you choose to rekindle the relationship with her, that’s your choice. But your son shouldn’t have to suffer from nor be exposed to her bs.

1 Like

She is toxic I know it hurts to let her go but you have to .She will only keep dragging you down as long as you let her .I had to let my mom ago a month ago it was sad but truth is she is bad for my mental health .I always wanted that mother bond with her but I see now she is jealous of me since I was a little girl .It’s sad a mother can be this way but she will try to destroy you in everyday she can .Let her go for your peace of mind and happiness.

We can only try so much and time after time she’s proved that she will not change.so we have to change our way of dealing with them .

1 Like

Nope cut her out of your life

Just remember it’s her mental illness not her speaking. If she was on medication and /or speaking to someone for help, she probably wouldn’t be acting that way. I would keep you distance until she gets the help she needs.

Cut her out!!

I’ve had to cut my mother out for my own sanity and I Dont regret anything because my mental state is sooooo much better xx

1 Like

your not wrong at all. i havent spoke with my father in over 5 years hateful racist man

Run, Run, Run i wish I did years ago. Run

Cut. The. Woman. Off.
Toxic… her behavior will have life long effect on your son if you dont

8 Likes

You’re doing the right thing. Not everyone needs their Mum.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I cut my mother out of my life? - Mamas Uncut

Definitely cut cut cut! You and your boy don’t need that in your lives. I’ve cut a few family members out because they are narcissistic, toxic and just down right horrible people. Just because they’re family you have every right not to have her in your life. You and your son will be better off without and never feel guilty for doing what’s best for him x

Cut her right off. Protect your baby at all costs and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

Short answer; Yes. Cut her out.

HELL NO! She’s never seeing that perfect little boy again :no_good_woman:

1 Like

I feel like you need to join this group! It’s full of women who have narcissistic and abusive mother’s, it made me feel like I’m not alone xx

Yeah keep ur distance and don’t communicate with her anymore. She obviously needs mental health and maybe at some point later down the road seek counseling together and lay your cards on the table and clear the air.

19 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I talked to my biological mom and my life is way better for it. I used to go back and forth with her-we wouldn’t talk for awhile and then we would and she’d blow up and we wouldn’t again-and it caused me so much mental distress. Cutting her out was the best decision I ever made. Ironically enough my son was born on her birthday and she will never know him.

27 Likes

Drop her. Some people are meant to be in your life. Others, even mothers, not so much. I loved my mother despite her flaws. But she loved my children. But I see some that just… that is not love.

29 Likes

It is your duty to protect your child from anyone who will harm them, no matter who they are. Do what you have to do. Do not engage to explain or defend your decision. Maintain a confident peace in your heart.

9 Likes

You are not wrong for feeling this way. I know someone who is just like this. They make you feel like the bad person by gaslighting you. DONT LET HER! She has her own issues and if she doesn’t get them addressed, that’s in her. You DO NOT owe her anything! As for your sweet boy, I’m so sorry someone so evil and vile is around him. He doesn’t need that BS either. You do what you have to do in order to protect your family. Just because your mom gave birth to you, does not mean she needs to be apart of your life. She sounds toxic af and doesn’t seem to want to change those toxic behaviors. She sounds like she has narcissistic tendencies and when people who have those tendencies or who are narcissists believe that the world not only revolves around them but you need to cater to them. So by her saying all these awful things about you to her side of the family when you guys are in an argument, she’s making people feel bad for her and throwing herself a pity party. That’s unacceptable behavior especially for a grown woman to be doing to her own child. It’s unacceptable and you do not under any circumstances need to have her in your life. Cut out the toxicity and live your life the way you want to that’s best for you and your son. Period. You’ll be happy you did honestly.

12 Likes

I dropped my mom over a year ago cause she uses racial divisions. We have a mixed family and my kids don’t need to see or hear that!
Your mother knows better regardless of her mental health problems as does mine. Period. Hatefulness has nothing to do with mental illness!
They chose their path let them have it!

30 Likes

Big Hugs…. I feel your pain, and my heart goes out to you. The serenity prayer to ‘accept the things I cannot change, the courage the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.’

Mental Disabilities, and personality Disorders are tough nuts. It sounds like you have an idea of WHAT you are dealing with. I’m not a therapist, however, I have dealt with my fair share of people as you describe. Your mother sounds narcissistic. Among other things… May I suggest you do some research into your mother’s issues. Learn about boundaries and how to set them. ‘Les Carter’ a Psychologist has a YouTube program ‘surviving narcissism’… it is a most valuable resource. He not only teaches about narcissism, boundaries… he teaches about how to communicate effectively with a narcissist. I hope it helps! I wish you the best! Hugs!

5 Likes

RUN don’t walk. RUN and don’t look back. I have had to cut out some family members, love them and wish them no harm but I will not have them treat my kids badly. End of story! I don’t care how old my kids get, they will all (6 of them) be my babies forever. You can F&#$ with me all day long but don’t F@*& with my kids. Don’t feel guilty and don’t feel bad, you are doing the right thing.

9 Likes

Put it this way if it wasnt your mother would you cut that person out of your life for those reasons… that answers the question there regardless of relationship to said person if it is a toxic relationship cut it and move on and dont look back

31 Likes

Nope, you’re on the right track, next step is an unmarked grave in the mountains. Tell her she can decide…to get out of your life, or dig her own hole.

By the looks of it, the world would be a better happier place without her

10 Likes

You and your family deserve better. I think it would be best for your mental health to drop her. I think it will also show your son that mama always has his back. You don’t Owe an explanation to anyone.

2 Likes

There are some folks you can’t put on the front row and instead you got to love them from the balcony. Get my drift? Preacher says, be friendly to everyone but don’t make everyone your friend. I believe this goes for family members as well.

4 Likes

So did she verbally or otherwise abuse you and treat you poorly when you were young? Then she hasnt changed. I too had a tough relatiinship with my mom and after so many years of doing just what your mom did i cut her off for my own mental health. Protect yourself and your family. Narcissists dont change.

4 Likes

Omg! Wow! She’s very bad! Worse than my mom, who also is overly blunt rude and critical, who I sadly can’t be around.I would definitely NOT include that behavior in my life. It’s bad for you and you son!! I am sad that she treats you both so horribly!

3 Likes

I haven’t spoken to mine for 2 years nearly 3 and its been the best decision of my life. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. No one can tell you what to do you have to do what is right for you. Good luck

10 Likes

Sounds like she needs help. Id stay as far away as I could. And keep your son away from her as well - his life is challenging enough.

7 Likes

Honey I cut my toxic incubator (mother) out of my life 27 yrs ago. I was 18 & dealt with it all my life. & I don’t regret it at all. (She also has mental disorders which she uses to manipulate ppl when she don’t get her way)
Has the 27 yr split helped her realize anything? Fuck no. She still runs her mouth & tries her best to start shit from afar.

And I’ve cut off extended family as well for being toxic.

At the end of the day, my life being as drama free as possible is more important to me than what society dubs as a daughter’s obligation.

However she is in my brother’s life, who has downs syndrome & she treats him like gold. It’s just me & anyone I’m with that she has issues with.

:woman_shrugging: not my pasture, not my bullshit.

3 Likes

Get rid. Just because she gave birth to a child doesn’t make her a mother. She’s vile. To say that about her own grandson! I would die for my grandchildren!

2 Likes

No, you’re not wrong. That’s not normal for a grandma to talk like that. Keep yourself and child away from that toxic relationship. It will never be good for either of you. Hopefully, u can join a group of mom’s that understand Autism in raising a special child such as yours. You both deserve the best of everything that you can have in life! Good luck to you both and Bless your special little family, you and your precious boy! Its her loss, not yours to get her out of your life!

2 Likes

You are not wrong. It’s not healthy for you or your son to be around her.

4 Likes

I have an autistic son and I have cut family out of our lives for their treatment of him. You have to protect yourself and your son, period. I’m sorry to say that your mother just doesn’t seem to have you or your son’s best interest at heart. Do you know that autistic individuals die by suicide for reasons like people telling them they don’t have something, they are just being naughty or difficult. Can you imagine living your life with something that stems in your brain, that people can’t “see” and being told it’s not real? Please, for your own mental health alone, please cut ties. You and your child are worth it!

You are doing the right thing. Until she gets the help she needs, you need to protect your family first. You need to continue to do what is best for your awesome little boy.

1 Like

Sorrh you are having to go thru this…its bad enough her mental health illness causing you issues, but your little boy! Thats crossing the line! I would not let her near the child, until after she has agreed to, and recieved help and medications. You never know how ugly comments could damage a precious mind like his…
And , if you need one, I am totally available for being a grandma! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: hugs to you both

It’s ok to cut toxic people from our lives, and anyone who would talk to a child like that and spread lies about you, are definitely toxic. I would let her know that if and when she decides to get help and get a handle on her illness, that’s she’s welcome to call and take baby steps towards reconnecting and restarting your relationship.
We each teach people how to treat us, and by allowing her to stay in your life you are teaching her that the lies and the verbal abuse are ok with you.

1 Like

So sorry for your Mother who misses the BOAT! Keep your distance, call her occasionally. She is not well! Leave it be, you have nothing to be apologetic about.

1 Like

You don’t need that in your life love a cherish your little man and keep her away he will be better for it. And you really don’t need it either. I have had no contact with my mother for over 30 years don’t know if she is still alive don’t care my life is way better with out her in it Move on and enjoy your life without the stress

3 Likes

You have a right as a mother to protect your child. A child is a blessing…Not a curse. Keep love in your heart and show your child unconditional love. As far as your mother, if you choose to have her around discuse what you wont allow, and what she will loose. Hopefully she will understand what shes doing. I only send best wishes. I know family is hard.

Do the right thing by yourself and your children. You don’t owe your mother anything. Just because she gave birth to you does not make you responsible for her feelings or validation as a mother. If she has not nurtured the relationship she has with you through your life you certainly do not owe her a relationship now.

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but parents do not own the rights to their children x

5 Likes

My mother also had mental health issues and tried to pit us kids against one another. It was so damaging! I kept trying to be supportive of her her entire life because we are supposed to honor our parents. It never got better and I would not change what I did, but I would not allow her to demean my children in any way. I would have definitely kept my children from her if that was the case. She has no right to treat anyone badly, but especially not a child!

1 Like

I have read all these comments and the tears flood my eyes. I feel even more blessed than ever that me and my mama had an awesome relationship. She was also my best friend. Tears flow because I don’t know what I would do if in that situation. Me and my mom had a bond like no other and she has been gone almost 9 years and I still cry and miss her terribly. I will pray for you and your mom that God will show you what to do. I pray that one day she will get the help she needs and you will be able to have a relationship before she is gone. Pray daily about it and God will give you an answer

Think of your children she shouldn’t be so hurtful if she was mine I would have to cut her off my children would be my first priority makeing them happy with nice things to look back on not hurtful things to remember.

Not associating, talking with her does not mean you don’t love her. She is toxic and is coloring your relationships with your family. She is also hurting your child by her rhetoric. You and your child need to go your own way. Our bodies are crafted by our parents but our spirit is from God.

1 Like

I would cut ties with her until she realise that she needs help and let her hit rock bottom.

Autisic children and older autisics have way to much on their plates already DON’T ever let this person around your precious child even if she gets help

1 Like

Oh no sweetheart go with your feelings you dont need negative people in your life your mum sounds like she wants to be the center of attention :heart:

1 Like

In my humble opinion, your child should come first. Do not respond to her. If she calls, don’t answer. You are better off without her and any of her family that feels that way.
She apparently doesn’t care about you feelings, so move on.

1 Like

I would definitley keep your distance, you have other things that need you attention more. Your baby not you need to hear the awful things your mother is saying. Concentrate on you and your little one. Good luck lovely with whatever you decide to do x

1 Like

Just because you’re unfortunate to come out of her doesn’t make her a mother. She sounds toxic and heartless. You’ll have a weight lifted when you forget she existed.
Sounds brutal truth but it’s the way I see it

2 Likes

This is coming from someone who truly loves her mom with everything in me i would do anything to get her back she passed from cancer i think u should keep your distance from your mom she seems toxic u have to protect yourself and your child

If she effects your peace cut her off. I cut mine off recently,it hurts. It’s gonna take some time. I cry about it still but honestly it’s better for my mental health.

Just because she’s your mum doesn’t mean you have to have her in your life. You wouldn’t let a friend bad mouth your child and still be friends with them so don’t treat your mum any different. When it comes to being parents the most important thing is being a happy contented parent for your child and if you don’t feel like that right now because of your mother then cut her out. Just be prepared for more of her bullshit stories about you to the family because you’ve cut her out but ignore them and rise above it. Xx

I really feel for you! You should be able to get support from your mother - not have to defend yourself. Let her go - it is hard - but your boy comes first! As suggested, find support groups & look after yourself. I have a narcissist in my family who turned the rest of them against me - it was horrific as I really needed their support. Now they’re gone & she’s still trying to pull the rug from under me. So I no longer engage - it’s hard but I am happier, and you will be too. Good luck! You are not alone! :heartpulse:

Toxic is toxic regardless of being related, I understand it may be hard but unless she redeems herself it seems she will be nothing but a source of pain for you and your children, saying something bad about her own grandchild would be the snapping point for me.

There are several family members I have chosen to cut out of my life, including siblings, because they are toxic and bring nothing to my life other than negativity, self doubt and pain. Just because they’re family doesn’t mean I have to choose to have them in my life.
I think it’s harder to cut a parent out but at the same time she isn’t making any attempt to grow as a person, or to develop any emotional maturity and behaving like that towards you and your child is despicable.
It’s a decision only you can make. Cutting out your mum is a huge decision to make that may come with its own separate feelings of regret and some issues further down the line.
But you are not wrong for feeling this way. Your feelings are valid and justified. And as a mother you need to protect your son from anyone who will purposely go out of their way to discriminate or hurt him. Your feelings are valid and you have a right to make a decision that is best for you and your family x

that’s a damaging grandparent, keep the grandchild away from her. you should keep your distance also. she sounds extremely toxic and you don’t need that in your life.

2 Likes

This is despicable behaviour towards you and your boy.cut toxic people out of your life.she jealous and obviously not well.but if she wont get help then what can you do.let her get on with her life and you yours .best of luck to you xx

I wouldn’t have anyone mother or not, near my son who behaves that way.
Stick to a few phone calls here and there and cut out any visits. See how that goes but otherwise, it’s not needed in your life and your son’s.

1 Like

Honestly I can forgive a lot… But the emotional damage from calling your child that phrase… Your child definitely doesn’t need to be around that. And she sounds hella manipulative. Better no contact with grandma that an abusive relationship.

Ive had a bad relationship with my mother sonce i was a child. Tried to make amends but just like you she goes round telling lies about me and my dads side of the family, i lost my nana due to her lies and you know what im better off without any of them! You do NOT have to put up with her shenanigans. If you feel yiu and your child will be better without that negativity then go for it! Its her thats missing out xx

If this was somebody else behaving like this you would have nothing to do with them,it’s shocking that a mother act’s this way but it can’t be good for your health and your sweet little boy doesn’t need a grandmother who is nasty to him.

Cut her loose, she sounds toxic to you & your babies. Goodluck, I wish you all the best moving forward.

Don’t bother getting back in to contact, it will only stress you out more, and don’t let her see your son she doesn’t deserve that privilege

It sad but sometimes even your own blood is toxic and they don’t deserve to be a part of your life much less your child’s life. All to often you heart family is family but these days family doesn’t mean much especially when they are toxic liars and pos people. What good does this person do you? It’s hard to let go but you can and you will be much happier without them in your life. Big hug stay strong

You are not wrong at all. Just because she is family does not mean you have to tolerate that. I would never allow someone that spoke about my child like that in their life.

The Bible says respect your mother and father. I am sure in your own waY you love her, but you do not need to accept her toxic ways.

Protect your children.

Stay away from her, protect your children,
I did not let any one call my kids names, not even por little boy.

My grandma prefer my sister than me it hurt.

People like to believe what fits their narrative. Like how some parents can’t accept how their child has a mental illness, while their mental health and genetics are similar if not worse and won’t accept help. She sees things that aren’t what they seem. Blind to our own realities and beliefs. Family can portray these as well, and hurt those closest to them. Let your mother go if you need to, and those who blindly believe in deception. You don’t need them in your life. Just care for yourself and your son, and anyone who supports you both.

I cut my dad off for other reasons and don’t talk to some of my family aswell, you have to do what’s right for you and your family

I have 2 Autistic kids. That woman would NEVER see, nor hear from me or my kids. I would save every penny and move across the country and delete all social media. She wouldn’t even know if I were alive, or not

I would not ever hesitate to punch someone straight in the face for speaking about my child like that… family or not, get that shit out of your lives!!

You got this mumma, you don’t need that kind of rubbish in your life, I live by the rule ‘if it doesn’t bring you joy or happiness - remove it!’

Maintain your distance from your mother and those that enable her until she gets help.

You can love her from a distance & protect your child. She should never be around your child.

Your son needn’t be around that, especially since she refuses getting help for her mental health that’s an active choice…

You and your kids don’t need that toxicity in your lives. I would be done as well, including anyone in my family that believes in the lies.

Your job as a parent is to care for your children and protect them from all dangers physical and emotional. Keep away from your toxic relatives and mother. You can do it alone . There’s help for artistic children and your love will see you through… don’t look back …

Love is love.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to love from a distance.
Disengagement from a “ love” that brings pain and unhappiness can be another kind of love.
This love protects you and your kids from a toxic relationship.
Distance can be the love you give yourself and your kids.
Maybe, just maybe, she will wake up. If not…… nothing lost.
Be blessed.

Don’t visit her so often. She probably doesn’t trust anyone to help for her mental problems. They’re scared of treatment if they’ve got mental problems. Think how you would feel if she isn’t here anymore, before you drop her. You only get one mother.

I don’t know that it has to be a forever thing. I’d try talking to her in person, then write a letter. I’d explain that her actions (accusing you of drug use, calling your child awful names) have consequences. Right now, the consequence is that she won’t be seeing either of you- for a while - and certainly not until she can apologize to you and your son and until she can tell the other family members she was wrong.

I am a grand mother and great grand mother. I’m like a grizzly when it comes to defending my precious babies. Your responsibility as a mother is to protect your children. You are absolutely doing the right thing by keeping your distance until or if ever she would seek help. A 3-year- old nonverbal child doesn’t deserve that kind of treatment from anyone, and neither do you. This angers me for you. I’m just so sorry she is choosing this path instead of loving your baby.