Should I force my son to eat vegetables?

Put them into a smoothie that’s what I had to do for my son you can also try giving him things like V8 juice

1 Like

My parents would yell, spank and even slap me when I didnt want to eat something. (Especially barbocoa) I’m almost 40 and till this day I WILL NOT TOUCH,SERVE OR EAT BARBOCOA!

1 Like

Put veggies in recipes and things he likes, like mac and cheese, chicken fingers,etc.
Trick him for a bit, maybe he will aquire some tastes for veggies this way and not fight so much later in life

1 Like

It may help to serve the veggies w various dips, sauces and cheese to start. My son is three and extremely picky. I have him help me cook and he actually takes bites of things as we are cooking and will gobble up diced peppers. Carrots, cucumbers etc, but if they’re cooked, forget it. Some kids have sensory issues and the texture of foods can really bug them. My boy hates tater tots bc the texture. Never force them to eat. That can lead to disordered eating. We never put one food above another. Nothing is “good food” or “bad for you.” We just have “sometimes foods” and “everyday” foods. We talk about how it takes all kinds of variety to grow strong and then we offer lots of types of food every meal. Small portions (seriously. Start w a tablespoon) make it less overwhelming and create less waste when they don’t eat it. It’s also a long process so if they interact with the food at all consider it a win. My son licked a cucumber once and it was exciting. The next time cucumbers were on his plate he didn’t touch them. I offered them five more times and last week he actually took two bites of one!!! Believe it or not this is progress and awesome! It can take 50 times being exposed to a food before they’ll accept it. I suggest followingis Feeding Littles either here on FB and on Instagram for great ideas. It’s never too late to start having a healthy relationship with food!

2 Likes

My son is 13 n will NOT EAT VEGGIES for the longest time he was short then hit puberty at 12 n now is 5’5 n wears a men 10 1/2 staring puberty within a year he grew a foot n 5 inches n still growing lol n shoes size went up 3 in half sizes veggies don’t have nothing to do with it my 21 year old was the same way now she loves her veggies he will take a liking to them I hated them as a kid aswell but I like most veggies accept peas lol I hate those damn things still also my son don’t n will not eat condiment such as mayo ketchup mustard salad dressing of any flavor so don’t force him he will eventually develop a taste bud one day lol

We don’t force them but kinda encourage them. Also you can sneak veggies into food easy. I will never force my kids to eat something

1 Like

Put them in a blender puree them add in recipes…I do this.I even buy the ones in produce section already cut ip small go in soups stews beans .my hubby has no idea hes eating veggies…be creative…in meat loaf chilli.etc

2 Likes

My 10 year old is the same way and I told the doctor he’s said it hasn’t hindered his growth and just to give him multi vitamin and fiber supplement my son is 5’3”

4 Likes

This works but btw taste buds change every 7 years …he may enjoy as he grows .so do as we suggest

I make mine eat her food yes she cry’s and throws a fit but she is fed and gos about her day. If I let her get by with it she would just eat junk (sweets)

1 Like

I would make him eat at least a bite of each one. Tastes change and its important for him to at least attempt

1 Like

My 4 yr old is this way and it’s so frustrating! He starts school this year and I worry about his lunches. I tend to let him choose his own dinners and he tends to eat it all 75% of the time but he will outright refuse to try anything new. I’ve done the help me cook, you pick dinner, etc. I have bribed him but now it’s come to force. I don’t want him teaching his little brother (who has no fear of food) that habit. I’m at a loss too! If you find success in a more gentle approach please share the wealth.

I wasn’t forced to eat veggies. and because of that, I lost decades of eating healthy foods. I love veggies now so appetites do change.

I got a kid to eat veggies by completely skipping his plate. When he asked why he didnt get veggies, I answered because your not cool enough anymore. Only cool people eat their veggies. He was eating veggies next night lol.

2 Likes

No, i would not give out, punishment, i would not want inflected on myself. growing up n foster care, being forced fed, crap i did not like. was the WORST!! my 2 cents.

My kids never ate veggies until they were teenagers. I was forced to eat food I didn’t like as a child or went to bed hungry and I vowed to never do that to my kids. I let them eat pretty much whatever they wanted and they NEVER went to bed hungry. They are now grown, healthy and like more veggies than I do.

9 Likes

I make my kids take a bite if they don’t like it fine if they do great…there are some veggies I won’t eat but my kids will and vise versa…

1 Like

Their alot of people dont like eating food that dont like. I dont like some food I’m not going make my kids eat something that they dont like. Try cooking them different ways and add stuff to them make them taste good.

3 Likes

I always made my son try everything and if he doesn’t like it next time we tried something else. (I don’t like everything and I would have hated to be forced to eat something I didn’t like)

My parents always made me eat a “girl-scout” helping. But then again, I always loved vegetables :joy:

1 Like

they now me chicken tenders with vegetables in them

Hide them by putting it in gravies or with other veggies or cheese.

In our house, our kids and.grandfathers eat what is cooked, no special dinners. If it’s something I know they dont like, I give them like a small teaspoon portion and tell them to try it. If they don’t like it, next time I cook it a different way. My kids will eat many veggies raw, but not cooked.

Check out Jamie Oliver’s Veg. Cookbook. You can his veggies in most things. First one that comes to my mind is spaghetti sauce. You can add carrots, zucchini ( or any squash), celery, onion, eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley, bell pepper. I think he takes an immersion blender to it also. Then they don’t even see it.:grin:

Watch some YouTube videos of kids preparing recipes. My kid isn’t quite that picky but has recently got to the pulling a face before the food even touches his lips phase. However he saw a quinoa salad he really wants to try, and a zucchini pizza. Idk if he will like any of it, but we are going to make it and try.

1 Like

Dont force get creative, i put brown sugar on green beans and my non veggie eater love em.

My son isn’t keen on all veggies. He does like carrots and corn. He will eat celery with peanut butter. To get him to eat peas and green beans I mix them in mashed potatoes.

They way I do it with my kids is u have to try it if u dont like it then u dont have to eat it but I put beef bouillon in my green beans n honey in my peas n carrots

Forcing a,kid is not good either. Try giving him things he might like. Try corn or,something first. They have recipes out there with veggies and you can’t even taste them. Maybe try some of them to.

2 Likes

Have him help prepare, cook, try in differnt ways.

2 Likes

Don’t force just keep trying different ones. Always have a lot of them for meals and around. He’ll find some he likes

My daughter use to be that way. We use to grate them or mash them and cook them right into the food. She never knew they was there.

Can’t force him to eat it but maybe with ranch … kids live ranch. But if he refuses to eat them I wouldn’t give him any special treats … eat your veggies … even take 2 bites and we can have ice cream etc. may have to try more than one to get him to eat them but no veggies no sweets… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My kids will eat green beans with ranch on them. It’s actually really good. Oh, V8 has been their a choice of drink right now.

Try the new chicken nuggets from Purdue chicken they have veggies already in them

My parents never made me eat things I didn’t like. I ate what was cooked.

1 Like

My son would throw them up. Then at the age of 19, he started to eat everything…even things I wouldn’t do. Now 30 and he’s a pretty healthy guy…

Try different veggies. Try to feed them to him in different ways.

Offer but don’t force! He is a human, not a robot.

What about plant based chicken nuggets, burgers, etc?

Don’t let him have snacks. Poor can’t afford it.
Poor also have no problem feeding hungry kids with what they have.

Have you tried making veggie chips? Maybe that will work. My daughter will eat carrots and cucumber with salt and limon lol that counts :woman_shrugging:t2:

I hated vegetables also at that age. It eventually changed and I eat them now.

As soon as we discovered our daughter was trying to be a picky eater. We started putting stuff in her plate and We used her age to decide how much she has to eat… Example… 5 yr gets 5 peas or green beans or had to eat 5 bites etc… it worked great. She didn’t like it, but knew once those bites were gone, she didn’t have to eat any more of that item. Most of the items she eventually started eating and liked them.

My kids always had to try a bit of everything on their plate if they didn’t like it they didn’t have to eat it

Don’t force him to eat. Just add them to other foods! He won’t even know. But, eventually his tastes will change. I would not worry!!!

How do you force him?

I didnt force mine and he just started eating them one day and he eats even veggies I won’t now that he’s grown… I think curiosity gets yhem.

The following is what my son did to get his daughters to eat what was put before them; place veggies, meat and a ‘starch’ on their plate, put the plate in front of them and tell them 'you have to eat the veggies first - then the meat…if you have any room left (in your tummy) then you can eat the ‘starches’. If they didn’t do, as he asked, he removed the plate of food, covered the plate, put the covered plate in the fridge and heated it all up for the next meal. NO food until the next meal…only water. He continued this until they ate the veggies first, meat and then the ‘starches’. Starches are a filler and kids would rather eat this so they won’t have room for the ‘good stuff’. Remember, YOU are the boss - NOT your son.

4 Likes

My parents made me and I eat all of them. My husbands parents didn’t force him to and he doesn’t eat any still. Our son will eat them

Grate them into the food for example a lasagna or a spag bol. Xx

4 Likes

Kids need to eat vegetables.

Pamper them, with love not personal meals

1 Like

Just give him the ones he does like. I would not force him to eat the ones he does not like

1 Like

Offer and offer and offer, never force

You have to get creative let him help or make smoothies

My kids eat only corn

Could put cheese on it

Do not punish him, it will give him the wrong idea about food and will accomplish nothing.

1 Like

Most kids like carrots corn and potatoes … If ya gotta make them for him so be it , later in life you can get them to eat veggies…

no if you say they are awful then he will.

Yes tell him atleast 3 bites of it. I have this problem every night with my kids.

Hide them in other things, or smother them in sauce, whatever gets them into him. We always gave our kids about a teaspoon size piece or portion of each vegetable they didn’t like and they had to try it or go to bed without tv or devices, and another chance if they complained about being hungry. If they didn’t want to eat their vegetables, they weren’t really hungry! It worked well, and they were soon eating everything.

My parents always served veggies with meals. My sister loved veggies but didn’t like meat. I liked meat but not veggies. We worked out a deal. The dog was a partner in crime. I would not eat green veggies, period. Didn’t matter if I was sent to bed early or how long they made me sit till I finished. Some people are super tasters like myself. Some foods literally smell/taste bad. Lettuce stinks like old swamp water to me. Spinach, broccoli, kale, cabbage- they overwhelmingly stink and are very bitter. Fish smells. I do like fruit and yellow/white veggies. They taste sweet. I realized my children and I need a balanced diet so I would blend mixed vegetables in pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and soups.They never knew.

If he hasn’t grown up having them at every meal it’s understandable that he doesn’t like them. I’m going through the same with my step daughter (7). We give small portions of veg at every meal and she is expected to finish them. If she eats something she really doesn’t like then I will ask her what veg she would replace it with. My kids like broccoli & raw carrots, corn, lettuce, beans. I expect them to also eat green beans, tomato, the occasional sweet potato or Brussels sprouts. I don’t expect children to eat mushrooms, peppers or onions.

If kids don’t finish their vegetables they usually lose out on any treats or sometimes an activity we are doing later. I think kids just need to get used to eating things that aren’t their favorite, especially if it’s for good health.

Havent had this issue with my own girls (they are only 2 & 9 months) but with my nieces/nephews we always put a small amount of everything on their plates, they then had to try everything (we did 1 bite per year of age…8yrs=8 bites, but you may start smaller if he really is adament about not eating them). Once they had their bites if they still didnt want them that was fine. It took them a little bit but eventually they would tell me “i dont like these so can i eat my bites then be done?”. It stopped becoming a battle once they understood what the expectation was.

I also found ways to incorporate veggies into other parts of the meal (veggies blend & hide easily in just about everything).

Dress them up! Make the veggies fun! Veggies can look nasty but taste amazing! Eye appeal is everything when it comes to food!! AND yesss sneak them in!! Sooo easy to add to anything with a sauce!

Ok so I was raised that you get all your fruits and vegetables. Now my oldest hates fruit, all fruit and some veggies. Turns out he is highly allergic to pollen which is on alll fruit no matter how many times washes and some veggies. I was forcing my kid to eat fruits and vegetables that literally made him not feel good but he was too young to explain because it wasn’t the all out get hives and can’t breath thing. Ask him if they taste funny and describe it. My son would say it taste like metal or some cleaning chemicals.

1 Like

They have a “no thank you” bite at my sons school. We use it at home too! They have to try 2 bites of a food before they say no, that way they can tell if they really don’t like it or not (at the age of 3). It’s helped us with our picky eaters immensely!!!

5 Likes

There are juices and snacks that have veggies in them but r covered by the fruit added so kids can’t taste them if u concerned about it. Jus keep trying

We do “no thank you” bites. If they dont want what’s on their plate then they at least have to eat one spoonful. Or just refuse to put anything else on his plate until he eats them. Withhold all other snacks and juice. Give water instead. Spice it with salt/butter hell cover it in bbq sauce if that’s what likes. Mix it with mashed potatoes or something. Next time take him with you to the grocery store and tell him he needs to pick out at least one vegetable that he will eat. Whichever route you go, I bet if you stick to it he’ll stop giving you a hard time after about a week. BUT DONT BACK DOWN!

Make smoothies! You can put anything in them and they will taste good!

We always told our kids they had to try things, don’t say you don’t like something if you never had it. But if they did try and didn’t like it that was it. Their taste change as they grow keep having them try but don’t force it . There were a few things I didn’t like when young but love now :woman_shrugging:forcing only gags them out ! Try it but then let it go if they don’t like it. It’s surprising what they do like​:woman_shrugging:

We always said. One bite. If they said Ewww or pitched a fit BEFORE the one bite then it got moved up to 2 bites. I always had a dip for them…ketchup…ranch…cheese…etc… ( my kids dipped Everything)

I wasn’t made to eat vegetables and guess what? Next month I’m 44 and I STILL don’t like them. Don’t punish a human being for not liking the way something tastes. That’s ridiculous! My children weren’t made to eat vegetables either because when they were little, they didn’t like them. But now as 2 of them are in their 20s they’re eating them. My daughter is 12 and she’s starting to eat SOME (not all) vegetables… And that’s all without them being punished.
And one other thing, when my oldest was a teen we found out that he has food allergies. Thank God, we weren’t forcing certain things on him.

1 Like

I’m 27 and don’t like a lot of vegetables. Mostly due to texture. Texture is also the biggest reason my 8 year old doesn’t like certain foods.

We encourage our kids to take at least “one big girl/boy bite” of new foods. If they don’t really like it then they don’t have to eat it.

Our kids would rather have raw veggies. Cucumbers, bell peppers, sometimes salad and sometimes little carrots are the ones they like most. Our 4 year olds love broccoli steam/cooked and with a little bit of soy sauce.

My kids ate them at weaning stage. Then hated them as they got older. I grated veg to mince, made soups and liquidised. Loved dipping bread in that! They’re both adults and love most veggies now. Dont stress they’ll be fine. I spent years stressing, it’s not healthy for any of you :kissing_heart:

Although my kids are young and eat everything LOL when I make veggies I will add salt and melt chesse over them in a steamer orr if there are raw I put a side of ranch… also tomatoes are yummy I let my kids eat them like apples and they think it’s cool lol umm ya this is just what helps us lol

I get a powered super veggie blend and put it in everything.

Make him smoothies. Greek yogurt frozen fruit spinach and kale and any other veggies with some bananas. They are sweet and yummy and he will get his fruits and veggies that way

1 Like

Get “Deceptively Delicious” cookbook. It came out several years ago. It’s a cookbook that gives kid friendly recipes that hide veggies in them. :+1:

1 Like

My mom made me eat 3 green beans with dinner. It was awful. I didn’t really start to like veggies until I was an adult. So I’ve never really forced them on my daughter. Her preschool made her take no thank you bites and by kindergarten she was choosing carrots and celery. I think when you force it, it just makes them dig in their heels.

Just keep putting them on the plate, hide them in other foods etc, don’t force him tho! I went through a bulimia stage because my parents forced and punished me, I would also sneaky them to the dogs or flush down the toilet. My 9 year old has autism so smells and textures are an issue with him but hes now asking to try things because hes always given the option

1 Like

This is one of many battles that is not worth fighting… your son makes the choices of what to eat or not. As a parent you make the choices as to what to provide or not. Forcing and punishing for not eating will not encourage him and can make things worse. Keep offering and provide a daily vit and leave it at that. Once you and he realize that food is for nutrition and not a weapon things will get better. If he never eats a vegetable that’s his choice and you provided opportunity and that’s all that you need to do.

1 Like

I do believe there are foods some kids just dont like. I will make my daughter try something at least once. She is 9 so she is old enough to decide what she doesnt like. I make things she does like. It’s no different than me or you not liking certain foods. I talked to her Dr. Aboit it and he said as long as she was healthy it’s all good. Besides I do not want to spend my evening arguing with a 9yo over some green beans.

U can sneak them in food. U can put alot of veggies in pasta sauce and they wont notice. I make mine take at least 3 bites of everything.

1 Like

There is a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld called “Deceptively Delicious” in which she shows you how to incorporate fruits & Veggies into recipes (that the kids won’t notice)

1 Like

My friends daughter did the same thing. She put cheese on the veggies and no problem since. She eventually grew out of it.

Hide them within the food you are making like you would onions or what not with a picky eater. Chop them up really fine and mix those puppies in. It’s the only thing I found to work

I don’t want to be forced to eat anything, so I don’t force my kids. I encourage them to at least taste everything. I don’t think punishing kids for food or toilet related issues is a good idea. (Speaking generally of course)

I used to hide spinach in lasagna

Veggies are easy to hide in your kids meals! Does he like spaghetti? Blend up some greens and carrots into the sauce! Smoothies? Even easier. There’s no need to force or punish. Be sneaky.

He should sample them it’s called a “legal taste”, then he can say no I don’t like them. you will have to learn out how to incorporate or disguise vegetables in other dishes until his palette matures.

My kids got more interested when we grew a garden

I dont force my kids to eat but won’t cater to them either. Like if they are full I won’t demand they finish. But they should definitely try more things b4 throwing a fit

Would he try a glass of v8 . I loved that!

I’ve got 4 years old he eat chicken nuggets chicken strips fries mashed potatoes pop tarts chips

Get a sneaky chef cook book!

1 Like

Yes he gta eat em to get healty .Mom :rose:

His taste buds will change with time. Punishing him will cause damage. I’m sure there is something you do not like, now imagine me forcing you to eat it and being punished for not eating it.

3 Likes