Should I keep on potty training my girl?

My daughter turned 2 in June and I’m trying to start potty training. We started this morning and she peed when I put her on the potty this morning, but a few minutes later had a little accident. Since then she’s been against sitting down and keeping her training pants on. Is this a sign to try again another time or should I keep putting her on every 20 minutes?

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I keep on potty training my girl? - Mamas Uncut

I would wait alittle longer but work on showing her potty training videos and maybe buying her a potty training baby doll. It will help keep her interested

3 Likes

Wait a little longer until she’s ready- no rush.

2 Likes

Give her time… my son was like that

2 Likes

Start slow take her every time you go to the restroom have her sit with you

1 Like

My 2 year old son does this too. I don’t force it. I’ll ask him If he needs to go potty and if he says no then I leave it at that. Sometimes he says yes and goes.

take her with you when you go —say lets go potty that might help but 2 is really early

1 Like

Training pants or pull ups just confused my kids.

2 Likes

I did this with my son and just like with every toddler they will let you know when they are ready. Don’t force it my oldest son was 2 and fully potty trained my youngest was not ready till after he was three and he just turned 4 and is fully potty trained.

1 Like

I always peed with my daughter on the toilet, and she had her toilet next to it. So she was super easy at 8 months!!

1 Like

I would keep putting her on the potty a couple times a day to get the idea she’ll get it.

Keep trying accidents happen

1 Like

My son is 18 months and he shows interest so I take
Him in and sit him down after I go, he hasn’t gone yet but you can tell he try’s! Just keep her interested with videos, books or dolls :purple_heart:

1 Like

A bit young, but when shes ready, try the potty chart! Every time she pees she gets a sticker, every 5 stickers she gets a present (dollar store). Worked for us!

3 Likes

I’m not sure how it goes for girls cause I have a boy. But all I did was start putting underwear on my son and letting him wear those throughout the day. He had a couple accidents but finally caught on that he needed to go to the bathroom. I would take him in there every 20-30 mins so he understood. He eventually recognized that feeling that he needed to go. I would say keep going if you think she is ready at that age. Every kid is different some are ready earlier than others. Good luck!!

3 Likes

Sounds like she isn’t ready I wouldn’t force it let her go at her own pace she is still young

1 Like

Don’t force it, it’ll just make it harder on both of you

2 Likes

Follow her lead.
If you try and make it happen before then, it’ll be a long and painful process.

2 Likes

Normal pants or none at all. Sticker chart worked for my daughter and son

1 Like

I agree, don’t force, my son who turned 3 this April was the same… Now he doesn’t wear nappies at all, doesn’t even wanna sleep in it FYI, he still has a bottle before bed… Children do things in there own time

2 Likes

I didn’t force it at all. Right after my son turned 3 he showed interest and that was it. No problems or accidents. When he was ready he was ready. It saved me a lot of effort and headaches just waiting for him to want to do it instead of me trying to force him to learn.

2 Likes

There are going to be soooooo many accidents. In this case,.I think that steady, patient and consistent is the way to go. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t force it or anything . when she’s ready you’ll know :relaxed: my son was the same way when I tried at 2 years old so i backed off. He turned 3 this year and last month i randomly found him in the bathroom sitting on his pot using the restroom by himself (:

1 Like

I put a pad in my daughter’s training panties so when she had accidents we weren’t going through them like crazy, also I found of took her every 10-15min she’d pee almost every time

My mum (who raised 5 kids) says that the best time to train is at three years. That’s when they more understanding & less accidents.

2 Likes

Put her on every hour. Make it fun.

Give her one M & M (or other small candy she likes) for trying.

2 for peeing

5 for pooping.

The trick is, you can’t let her have ANY sweets besides the potty sweets so she’s more motivated to use it.

Stickers also work.

My daughter is 2 and I tried to introduce potty training to her and it didn’t go well. She will throw a huge fit if I try to get her to use the potty and she started trying to hide the fact that she had pooped. So I left her alone and let her take the lead and figure it out. She’s starting to get the idea now and she’s making the decision to go use the potty on her own a little at a time. If she’s not ready you can’t force her. She’ll get it

1 Like

All kids are different, mine were all potty trained by 2 however my grandbabies not as early. Make it fun and reward for every time and let her know accidents happen and are ok. Keep her interested in being a big girl like mommy

Follow her lead to save yourself endless accidents in the future otherwise your life will be one big bag of soiled clothing to rinse each time you’ve been out of the house. I feel that putting a nappy on her before you go anywhere to save the accidents happening could confuse her and make her take steps backwards.
Mine were all closer to 3 before showing interest but picked it up really fast with no accidents.

1 Like

Keep trying and make it a huge celebration every time. That’s how I got my son fully potty trained.

Potty training is supose to be fun dont force her because she will hate it and it may take longer if you do

1 Like

It’s awesome that she went pee on the potty!!! Kiddos have accidents especially when they first start potty training. My little boy started at two and he picked it up quick and he loved it. I gave him two Eminem’s whenever he went at first and he really loved that. My daughter would go through periods where she would go potty on the toilet and then refuse and I had to accept that and not force it on her. I would put her back in her diaper and then every once in a while I would put underwear on her and suggest going on the potty. Sometimes she would refuse and have accidents on the floor so I would go back to diapers. Sometimes she would spend half the day wanting to use the potty and the other half completely rejecting it so I would say okay and put her diaper back on. Eventually when she turned 4 I tried another underwear day, she used the potty the whole day and never looked back. She wanted to do it and now she is fully potty trained and happy about it.

2 Likes

My son is 18 months and I’ve started sitting him on the potty right before bath time for the last 2 weeks. He hasn’t peed yet but he knows while the waters running to grab his seat and bring it to the big potty to get up. I’m not rushing it but definitely introducing it now to see how interested he gets

Both my girls did it in their own time. My oldest hated pampers pull ups. I had to buy them one time. And that was the last time. My daughter asked for the regular panties I bought and that was the end of it. Absolutely no accidents. My youngest just watched me and her sister. And the day came when she wanted big girl panties. Both were 3yrs old.

1 Like

She will let you know when she’s ready, but I don’t think it’s now.

3 Likes

Let her decide, I think this is a sign of another time. If she’s sitting on it with training pants on, she doesn’t get it.

2 Likes

What are training pants? Following

If you have to stick them on the potty every ten min, it’s not potty training. Best advice I ever got from my pedi is wait until the kid is ready, not you.

1 Like

I’m just going with with the flow with my daughter she’s turning two in September . I like pull out her potty where ever in the house and she gets excited to use and she always tells me when she has poopoo in her diaper ! I’m just letting her take the lead !

1 Like

I’m old school but isn’t this what pull-ups are for? Just cause potty trainers are wearing them, doesn’t mean they have to pee in them. Rewards for dry pull-ups should work as well, No?

3 Likes

Keep working with her she may have accidents every 20 minutes I kept a potty in living room for my boys but every kid is different

Keep trying! They are not gonna get it right off the bat. Could take days, weeks, or even years lol

4 Likes

I used a doll that wets and helped my kids teach her “baby” how… was no pressure on her to perform yet developed the concept After seeing her dolly be a big girl she decided she wanted to try it out herself. Wish I would’ve had known this would happen when I was teaching My 1st 2 kidos

Don’t force her. My son let me know when he was ready

5 Likes

She’s just turned 2… maybe she isn’t ready yet x

2 Likes

They all train at different. Dont feel pressured because someone says 2yo is the time to start…youll just stress yourself out and make it harder. Your daughter will let you know when she’s ready. They usually let you know when they need changing or you notice shes starting to stay dry for longer. They basically train themselves if you don’t stress them out and rarely have the muscle control before 3

1 Like

It never hurts to try but don’t push it on her. If she doesn’t want to sit on the potty, don’t make her. She will rebel.

I wouldn’t force it, it is much easier when they are ready. When they are ready it doesn’t take long & you don’t have to take them to potty every 20 minutes. My first I tried the running her to potty all day long , it was so frustrating for her & tiresome running her to bathroom. Plus , I was pregnant. By the time she was almost 3, she was completely potty trained & I couldn’t believe how easy it was just letting her decide she was ready. My younger two, drained younger because they wanted to be like big Sis & go to potted. You can make potty training hard & long if the child’s not ready. A relative whose daughter was same age started training her before she was 2, would spank her, fuss at her. Carried potty every where they went, spent her hold day on that child to potty drain her early. Her doctor even told her to wait until she was ready. But guess what my daughter was completely potty train, fast & simple because I waited until she was ready. My relatives daughter was completely trained at same time as my daughter. But took over a year for her. Only couple weeks for my daughter.

Yes never give up she will eventually get it

U know her better thn us …if she can communicate thn start doing it …she will not get trained in a single day

That’s a lot of work for you. She’s not ready. Give her and yourself a break

2 Likes

Let her take the lead. Forcing her when she’s not ready will just make it take longer.

2 Likes

Following. Daughter also turned 2 in and June and I’m struggling

Shes 2. Most 2 yr olds do not have enough control to hold it long enough to make it the the bathroom. Most children do not train until 3 almost 4. Yes there are a few who’s younger but that’s not the norm.

3 Likes

Every child is different. May b u can wait 6 more months. They get to understand more clearly at that age. With my first baby he got trained at the age of roughly 30 months. My second is like of 27 months n he is still not ready, so waiting him to be 30 months to start again. They will b trained quickly at that age according to my experience.

My granddaughter is great with peeing. The pooping is another story. She will sneak and poop her pants.

My girls and grandchildren potty trained when they were3 years old. U bought them special underwear and told them they could only if the used the pottyand no diapers or pullups. They came to me and said they wanted to use the potty and wear their special underwear. They told me when they were ready and not when I wanted them to. None never had an accident day or night. Give her time, she’ll let you know

1 Like

Get the book Oh Crap Potty Training

1 Like

Every 20 minutes? You are wearing her out! Try once an hour. My daughter trained around 16 months. At 18 months we drove from California to Tennessee. She had an accident 30 minutes from our destination.

I have 3 kids, the first two were a piece of cake.
Both were completely trained before age 3, however, my youngest is 4 and a half, and I’m losing my mind trying literally EVERYTHING, and he is amazing at going pee, in the potty, but hates to poo :poop: on it.
We will just keep trying til he gets it.

There will be plenty of accidents mama ,even after being trained there will still be a few accidents . So you can distinguish in her behavior towards using the potty whether she is ready to continue or not

You can leave the training potty if using one where she can see it and get use to it though let her decide when she wants to use it potty training is easier when you let the child decide I saw my sister let my nephew decide when he was little leaving the training potty in the bathroom didn’t take him long to learn

I didn’t train til my daughter turned 3. She could put on and take off her clothes spoke well to let me know and was dry thru the night 12+ hours. I did the potty training in 3 day method took about a week total but never looked back. Zero accidents, zero regression. 2 weeks in we did Disneyland and she did the whole think no problem :blush: they will tell you when they are ready

If shes not ready dont force her, but it does need to be consistent :woman_shrugging:

I used to do daycare and I would tell my parents it’s like learning to sing ABC’s, it doesn’t happen right away - just keep practicing (every 20 min is overkill, both you and her will get frustrated) - really like singing the abc’s here and there give it a go and once gets hang of work on more often til gets it … usually around 3 is when most kids are good to go

Take her with you when you need to go. She’ll catch on.

It’s the one thing they have complete control of in there little lives. She will train when she’s ready. Definitely wait a little bit of time and try again.

It’s too soon if u potty train before she rdy your be wasting your time she is a girl there easierier I say between 2 and a half and

My daughter was fully potty trained at 3 and a half once u remove the diapers that’s it and it take some accidents before she really gets what u doing I even put my daughter to bed and she pooped in the bed but after that she never pooped in the bed again

1 Like

She’s not ready. Just leave it.

Straight to panties no training or pull ups. The closer to 3 the easier I’ve found it.

Id wait and try again in a year. Don’t push it or she’ll be scared of it

My son wasn’t trained till he was 3 :slightly_smiling_face: and he did it all on his own. I tried at 2, he wasn’t ready. Tried months after, was a no go.

We tried when my daughter was 2… wasn’t interested…and all of a sudden boom she just started going around 2.5-3… if you start forcing or making it a huge issue she will find it a horrible possibly scary thing… she will get there I wouldn’t rush it

Why would you stop? Do you want her to not learn how to go on the potty?
If your dog bit you and you told him no but it still kept biting you would you stop telling it no?

1 Like

I started at 2 with both my girls and they were trained in the day full time by 3. I let them be naked while we are home and have a couple potty chairs available and showing them were they are and when the feel like they have to go just go the closest one to you. Also undies when we went out and took them when we got to the store and before we left the store

I would just slowly let her do it at her own pace. She will do it when she is ready. My daughter was the same way at first but was completely potty trained before she turned 3.

1 Like

My little granddaughter was 18 months I went to change her diaper she said a no baby I no were a diapie no more diapers

buy the potty watch… then take her to bathroom when you go…

She may not be ready. My oldest two were potty trained by 2yrs old but they showed interest in it at around 18months. My youngest showed no interest at all until 1month before she turned 3yrs old and she was fully potty trained by her 3rd birthday. They will give you signs that they are ready. If by 3yrs old she hasn’t started to potty then I would ask her pediatrician. That’s the advise my pediatrician gave me about my youngest cause at 2yrs old she wasn’t potty trained and I thought something was wrong. She said no I just got real lucky with the first two. As she laughed( nicely)at me when I asked her to help fix her. Sounds stupid now with her being my 3rd baby but at the time I really thought something was wrong with her. She said no that’s normal and I got spoiled with the first 2. LoL.

1 Like

Don’t force it but encourage and reward her. Say things like, “Good girl, good job, that’s a big girl,etc”. Definitely don’t punish if she has an accident. It takes toddlers a while to catch on and I promise she will. Taking her every 20 minutes might be too much for her and you. I guarantee you she won’t continue to use diapers/pull-ups forever. :wink:. Just be patient and hang in there momma.

1 Like

My lil grl is 2 since June and she’s baby no 7 :heart:I always found it easier 2 leave da potty in their sight (cos babies tat age dnt miss a ting​:rofl:)they will find it and wna explore it,leave them do it,show how u do it and wot it’s used 4 and plenty of nappy off time,guaranteed it will work,always did 4 mine( u just mite find few puddles along da way tho :joy::joy:)best of luck x

My kids were done by 2 half I had both
I put them in potty pants real underwear
After awhile they didn’t like being wet

But I kept up by 2 weeks they were done
But you need to be consistent

I started training my daughter the day she turned 2. I’d give her different colored m & m’s every time she went on the potty so she learned her colors and was potty trained at the same time. It worked well.

1 Like

I highly recommend you read this book! It’s full of useful information and she’s comedic about the potty training journey. After reading his book, I had a whole new outlook on potty training and it made it that much less stressful.

1 Like

I’d wait and try again later

Don’t force it that young. Just guide them and they will let you know when they are ready.

2 Likes

Let her tell you when she’s ready. It’s less frustrating for both of you. It works better. Promise!

Get rid of the training pull ups. Put her in undies with her favorite character. I potty trained twin daughters 100% by two years old this way. My son was two years and one month when he was fully potty trained.

1 Like

Keep training. She’ll get it eventually

1 Like

Normal underwear, take her to pick them as well. Give the option of a potty again let her choose it, or a step to sit on the toilet as well. Take her with left over nappies to a childcare centre to hand them in being a big girl now. It can take days or months. I am an ex early childhood teacher.

Keep trying if she wants to I allowed my twin girl’s to be naked for a few days so they felt the pee I started at 14 months after waking up in am,am, before bed and baths they would go 80% if the time but at 17months we moved and the regressed.i tried again at 20 months and by 22months they were both full time potty trained day and night if she ready she will get it down

I read some where that kids don’t have full control of their bladder until they are 6, so it’s not uncommon for them to have accidents up until then. If she has a dry diaper over night or at nap time then that’s a pretty good indicator she is ready. You definitely want to keep all the experiences as positive as possible. It helps if you start out slow, if she isn’t feeling it don’t push it. But when she does well make it a big deal and reward it. Have her go to the bathroom with you for encouragement can also help to! Good luck! You’ve got this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just normalize it, when you need to go to the potty tell her and grab her hand and you sit on your potty and she on hers. Just make it positive and invite her every time.

2 Likes

I ordered what I call the potty box today from Amazon. It’s a box of different snacks and soon as it came I opened it and told my 2 1/2 year old she had to use the pot first to pick something because she has been using it on and off for a few months now.She literally sat there and strained till pee came out. Successful…now I know she knows how to use it, and she just not happening to have to the other times she went, it’s time to try more often. I will however not force her to go as it may cause a setback.

My baby girl is 2yrs and potty training accidents (even daily) are normal for awhile. DONT stop. She is ready! Lots of patience momma!

1 Like

I would put my daughter on the potty and sit on the floor right beside her. Keep her busy until she pees then tell her to stand and clap for her and give her a high five. She would pull me to go sit with her and I’d find something new everyday to keep her entertained. She’s 3 now and can’t even pee when she’s asleep. She calls me and asks for her potty.

1 Like

I’d go straight to normal panties no pull ups. So when they have accidents they know how it feels and don’t like it. If she’s just having a hard time I would stop and she will let you know when she’s ready. My oldest was almost 4 before she was fully potty trained. My middle was 2/3. They are all different. I know if you try to push it on them it seems to not work out as well.

2 Likes