Should I let my 6 month old get the flu shot?

My child will be six months soon, and my question is should I let him get the flu shot. I stopped getting the flu shot years ago because I only got sick, very sick, after getting it. Never gotten sick after I stopped getting up but very concerned for him, I do not want him to be miserable.

6 Likes

My daughter has always gotten her flu vaccination from very young, shes 3 now and has been fine everytime. I’d rather her be ‘off’ for a few days than have the proper flu and have to watch her suffer knowing I could have prevented that. If you get it this time and your little one has a bad reaction then you will know in future not to give him it as it affects him badly.

1 Like

You do not get sick from the flu shot. Impossible. If you really got sick you were exposed before the vaccine could be effective. My daughter undergoing chemo (and unable to get her shot) got the flu from a coworker and got sick. She ended up in the icu for a week and nearly died. I always get my shots but a few years I got the flu. The ER doctor told me told me I might not have made it without the vaccine. Very important for yourself, your family and others.

2 Likes

i didn’t start getting the flu shot until i was pregnant (i think?) and my son has gotten one every year he was able to. we’ve never been sick.

My kids didn’t and still don’t go to daycare so at 6 months I never had them get it. I had them get it starting at age 2 cause I stay he with them. If your kid isn’t going to daycare then I wouldn’t have baby get it. Especially if you’re planning on social distancing because of this virus, it’s in my opinion unnecessary

Children aged 6-23 months are 3 times more likely to die from flu related complications. Severe reactions to the vaccine are very rare. Mild fever and fussiness are common for a day or two. In my opinion (and the opinion of most medical professionals) the benefits of the shot greatly outweigh the risks.

1 Like

I’ve seen what’s it like with and without the flu shot. The reason you get sick is generally a hyperactive immunoresponse. Its a good thing unless you are allergic but that’s typically rash etc. However, just because you have a reaction does not mean anyone else in your family will. These are uncertain times, but providing this protection will reduce the chances of her having a bad case that turns into pneumonia or another secondary infection and reduce fears. The flu doesn’t kill but the secondary infections do. I get sick too but I still do it every year because people don’t care about others and will cough in your face or your childs. We’re faced with a very uncertain situation now, and allowing ourselves some security is ok. You’ll be nervous but its so much better than the situations I have seen over 20 years of emergency medicine where the child gets very sick. I cringe when people say I never got the flu, but life has a funny way of making nevers end. Most importantly, you know the science and importance if it, or you wouldn’t be on here asking for advice. Its ok to be nervous. You have to live with your decisions as a mother, so you do what you feel is best.
Ive seen a lot, my kids got theirs.

Yes! Just because you had a reaction doesnt mean baby will. Also. The shot contains an inactive virus if that makes you feel better. I would talk to.your pediatrician to get informed about the shot before you make a decision. Ultimately its up to you but my advice would always be yes unless immunocompromised :blue_heart: best of luck to ya

I have twins that are 2 yrs old. This is the first year we are getting them their flu shot. I didnt have a reason not to last year and it was a horrible flu season for them. Its really hard to watch your children with the flu. One gets it, the other is not far behind. This year we are all getting our flu shots.

1 Like

You’re not going to get any clarity asking the public. Everyone has their own feelings about it. I don’t do it for my own reasons. Do your research. They do have one with no preservatives that they don’t tell you about just so you know. If I was going to do it I’d do that one.

1 Like

It honestly depends on if the child goes to daycare. My kids do not, so they don’t get one.

8 Likes

Here in UK they don’t get offered it until they’re 2 years old. My 3 year old had it then got sent home from nursery for a covid test as apparently she was showing symptoms although she was totally fine and the test was negative but my a year old doesn’t get offered the flu shot until next year x

I’ve also had bad reactions to the flue shot haven’t had it in years but when my son turned 6 months he started getting it he’s about to have his third one in a couple weeks and he’s been fine ever year and has never gotten sick from it

I wouldn’t have considered it and I have a ex 33 weeker and since had pneumonia in hospital along with other chest issues but over here it’s 3. It’s been delayed due to now under its done at school but due to history was allowed outside of the setting.

Its realy something you need to talk to your doctor about some doctors wont give it a child thats under a certain age. But with everything else going on it may not be a bad idea

I normally do not get one but I still make my kids get one and have ever since they have been old enough. Just because you get sick from it doesn’t always mean anything. kids are germ magnets they will get sick so why not help prevent it but like others have said your kid your decision.

I stopped getting them a few years ago cause I always got sick and had my kids get them until I noticed the same now we don’t. N we’ve been fine. Everyone is diff tho

my kids have never had a flu shot - we are just staying home anyways and i dont like the fact that ANYONE puts pressure on any mom to get flu shots- its up to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We say no to the flu shot. None of us have ever gotten one.

The best thing Is talk to ur dr my daughter does not get it the very first time she got it she got very sick and she has not had it since even when she was pregnant she did not get it

My son has never got a flu shot and he’s 8 yrs old.

I never get one but we had our 1yr old get it. Just to help him out. So far no reaction 1 week out

I am personally on team no. I’ve seen the bad side to the shot and I will not out myself or my kid through it

I would ask the Dr. But I think I would wait at least until they are one year old.

1 Like

Up to you! None of my 3 children, husband or I have gotten it.

Naw baby will be ok I have 3 children’s oldest is 12 never had flu shots

Ask the pediatrician.

My baby just got his. He’s 1. And just fine. Same day into everything :cold_face: and all over the place like nothing ever happened. What would be miserable is if they actually got it.

I kno your feeling my daughter is turning six months on nov 9th and I’m definitely not doing the flu shot for her. Growing up my mom never gave me the flu shot because we would get sick when we got it so since I didn’t get it growing up and still don’t do it for myself I’m not doing it for my daughter.

The kids and I are all getting one this year, last year sucked and I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in February so have been recommended it by my doctor

No save your child from the poison

This post will get dicey

Vaccinate your kids. Please

https://www.facebook.com/423288681591945/videos/286434175731669/
Watch 6 minutes in what’s in vaccines.

The flu shot only covers one strain of the flu. They guess which strain. We did get the flu shot this year. Last year we also got he flu shot and my son and I both got two different strains of the flu. It’s a choice you have to make.

I only had flu vaccine once I was pregnant,i was fine…and never given to my daughter either.she had the common vaccines though because they are more dangerous.what we usually get is a cold not a flu.and to get immunity you need to go it through in your young age.j will give her vaccine this year because of the covid ,because i dont want her to he sent home for a cold .she had colds in the nursery more than school literally twice only …its your choice but they said babies dont get corona,and uf you are careful dressing them properly not too warm.households…she will be fine…dont get panicked when she gets fever…kids do get it…and this way they fight for their immunity…

My kids have never got the flu shot…except h2n1 which ended up to not be as bad as they thought.

No. Research what’s in the shot and what each ingredient does to the body.

I am your spell caster. I have decades of experience in telepathic mind reading, white magic spell casting and remote healing. I will work with you to solve your day to day issues, I restore broken relationships/ Marriages. .

I was born with my powers which were further enhanced by highly enlightened teachers. I am here to help you with my experience and gifts. Inbox me today.