Should I let my son paint his nails?

My son wants to paint his nails for the first day of school because his sister is getting her nails done…my husband is afraid he will get made fun of but i dont see the issue as most kindergartners are not cruel like that…i want my baby to express himself how he sees fit…who is right in this debate?

94 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I let my son paint his nails?

Heck yes you should! Let him be who he wants to be! Whatever makes them happy. Teach him to not give two craps about what someone else says or thinks.

7 Likes

Do it!!! my nephews is 10 and I paint hes nails all different color s

Let your son. And teach him to stand up for himself if anyone says anything. It’s literally just nail polish. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

He’s your son, do what you want mama! My son is 4 and I let him paint his nails. To me it’s just nail polish.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. I’d tell him that’s a girl thing and offer something else like a cool shirt or haircut but that’s just me.

18 Likes

Mail polish has no gender. It’s something that looks cool and is fun to do. I say let him, it’s a way to express himself in a safe way

3 Likes

Hope he doesn’t wanna wear a dress

16 Likes

I say let him do it. My son has two older sisters and always wants to join in when painting our nails and it makes him so happy! They don’t see it as a boy or girl thing. They look at it as fun and it’s painting! What kid doesn’t love to paint especially when they get to wear it!

Kindergarten kids are very cruel please don’t think they’re not but in saying that let him express himself, nothing wrong with painted nail’s. Rock stars paint their nails, Johnny Depp…

2 Likes

I’ve painted my sons nails before. He has been asking me recently again and I will. He’s 10

3 Likes

Kids do all sorts of things now, my husband paints his nails. Nothing wrong with it.

5 Likes

Yes, he should be able to express himself & learn confidence at an early age

4 Likes

I’m taking my 13 year old son to get his toes done before school starts :woman_shrugging:t4: his body his choice

4 Likes

Yup, why not? My son was always having his painted the same as mine. It comes off and isn’t permanent.

I’ll block anyone that wants to try to debate about “what’s right for a boy/girl”. Cause that’s :poop:

3 Likes

Let him be. It’s just Nail polish.

1 Like

Never hinder your child’s self expression

6 Likes

I let my son paint his nails. It’s nail polish. Polish for nails. All humans regardless of gender have nails. Let him express himself!

3 Likes

I let my son wear clear polish only

1 Like

Do it! Boys painted their nails black all the time when I was in school

2 Likes

I’d let him :heart: in this world today kids will get made fun of for anything. If it’s something he wants and loves teach him to not care what others say

3 Likes

Why not? If he wants it done, let him!!

1 Like

It’s actually pretty common for boys to paint there nails :slightly_smiling_face: my son paints his nails if he is happy I am happy :blush:

2 Likes

Sorry but they start their bullying in kindergarten.

3 Likes

Next he will want to wear a dress then what’s your answer?

11 Likes

Yes show him it’s ok to express himself … nail polish has no gender specific rule until we gave it a gender specific rule … my son is 11 and had wanted his nails painted blue and green and so we did it

1 Like

It’s just nail polish. :roll_eyes: Both my boys 8&4 have had thier nails painted. And bright pink too. :rofl::joy: If anything you can do clear.

2 Likes

That’s the issue people are always concerned about what other people are going to think. It’s harmless. Hopefully if another kid was mean to him or picking on him for it the teacher would use that as a teaching lesson for the kids.

2 Likes

Absolutely let him paint his nails!

1 Like

Your husband is right. Your job as a mom is to direct. He doesn’t know better. You do.

10 Likes

I remember my son would get his nails done. He went to school and hid his fingers under the desk all day, he came home and asked to remove it and never wore it again he was 4. I think he realised none of the boys wore nail polish so never asked again

2 Likes

I know a lot of straight men who get manicures and pedicures.

Let him and hubby will get over it. He will probably gain friends school.

1 Like

Most kindergarteners ARE cruel like that. We’re from australia living in the USA and my son has been bullied over that so much from kindergarten til now in the second grade, which is absolutely ridiculous. I keep telling him in a few years you’re going to be popular because of that same thing.

That being said, you should absolutely encourage his individuality, just don’t kid yourself that kindergarten isn’t a cruel place. Instead, prepare him to be strong enough to let any mean comments slide off his back.

12 Likes

I think this is something you and your child father need to agree on he’s both of y’all child. Just love and support him. People in the world going to give him enough problems he needs to feel loved at home.

1 Like

I work in childcare and some of the boys come in with their nails painted. No big deal

My son loves to get his nails colored rainbow colors and shows them off. He hasn’t had any bad interactions yet but he wouldn’t care if someone said they were ugly.

Some of y’all are crazy a boy painting his nails doesn’t mean he is trans or wants to be trans :joy:

4 Likes

I say let him. My son loves painting his nails. He’s 12 but now he only paints them either black or white. I let him have his freedom of style. I also dyed my son’s hair at a young age now he’s over it ahahaha but yea it’s all up to you momma. But I have always explained to my kids how it can be in school sometimes. But to never let anything or anyone bug them.

If you can’t agree with your husband on it, try meeting in the middle in a way that still makes your son happy. How about clear polish? How about his toes instead? How about just the thumbs to start? If husband doesn’t agree still and you want to avoid arguments… suggest something else fun for your son like a fun temporary hair color or temp tattoo or idk whatever a man may agree to and the kid is still being expressive and it is a win/win without a fight! Kindergarten kids can be mean. That is why I would make other suggestions. Now if he were older and understood bullying better and how to deal with it and wanted to paint them… I’d allow it. I’d also expect him to stand up for himself and what he wants to do. But it’s hard when they’re so little and kids can just be mean and hurtful because they don’t know any better yet, if they ever will.

3 Likes

I would not, I know everyone has their own way of parenting but I teach my kids what gender certain things are intended for. My middle is 5 and he asks about certain things and I explain that it is for girls and he can’t buy it. If he had a young sister and he played with her stuff that would be different but I will not buy girl toys/clothes/accessories for my son. If he grows up and decides he wants to do that then I will support him but as a toddler/young child he does not know better or understand.

10 Likes

I am not a mom but I would let my son do it if he wanted to.

Kids r mean n cruel if 1 starts they’ll l make fun n he won’t go back to school jmo I raised 4of my own n lots of babysitting kids plus several grandchildren

Whether or not he gets picked on shouldn’t sway your decision on how to let him appropriately express himself (your child, your rules!)

However, YES kids are that mean, even in Kindergarten :grimacing:

I’d rather be the mom that comforted my child if/when they were made fun of than the mom whose child needed comfort because of something I did and/or didn’t allow them to do.

Pick out a color together and tell hom fantastic it looks! :white_heart:

2 Likes

I would discourage it.

1 Like

I would let him, I see boys with painted nails all the time. He’s 5, it’s normal.

You can allow it as you’re opening the door for bullying and harassment later on. Your husband is masculine therefore he would want his son to be the same. You should explain to your son the pros and cons of a female wearing nail polish versus a male wearing it and if you allow him to the backlash not only he will face but your family as well. To some it’s just nail polish but it’s a bigger issue than that.

There’s actually companies that make nail polish just for boys

Kindergarten? Probably not. I would wait a couple years. I wouldn’t even paint my daughters for kinder.

1 Like

That’s a NO FOR ME!! He’s doesn’t know what he wants, wait til he can understand what he’s doing!

4 Likes

As a parent who lets her son paint his nails, I’m the class he is in no one has picked on him yet has now followed him and now get their nails painted as well. Let your son express himself in a healthy way

Nail polish isn’t gendered? I hate how young children are taught these things. Let him do what makes him happy and if that’s painting his nails then he should be allowed to paint his nails. Seems to me like dad needs to sit with his feelings for a bit and do some thinking about WHY this actually makes him uncomfortable.

4 Likes

Kindergarteners are seriously unfiltered uninhibited little jerks! They say what the older kids know better no to. I didn’t let my daughter wear polish in kindergarten so I wouldn’t let my son but everyone parents different, maybe talk to your husband and compromise.

1 Like

Take him for a manicure. He can still get the expience have his hands lotions and filed, cleaned and cuticles cut without the polish. I don’t know if it’s so much about the polish or he wants to be included in something special

2 Likes

In kindergarten, those gender stereotypes haven’t started raging yet the way they do in upper elementary and middle school. If given the chance, half of them would probably come to school dressed in superhero or princess costumes lol. If you’re comfortable with it aside from that (I personally think gender stereotypes should disappear, but not everyone agrees), I would let the kid express himself.

1 Like

I think it depends more on if he can sit still long enough to get them done :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:. If he can, paint his nails.

Yes let him paint his nails. Nail polish is simply for finger nails and is not gender specific even though society has been making it such it is not. He needs to be able to be himself and should never be forced to hide himself just to appease another.

No. Tell him don’t be a follower and want to do something just because somebody else is doing it.

Now if he persists and keeps asking even when his sister isn’t getting hers, I’d possibly consider it to be a genuine interest of his.

If he just wants to be included you can let them give him a clear coat of polish and a shape up

yup. Let em do it. And teach him how to stand up for himself and things he likes

1 Like

Nah I’d tell him girls only paint their nails. He will get made fun of kids are mean at that age. Maybe he can help his sister paint her nails since he wants to feel included.

5 Likes

Let him paint them. My 4yo wants his nails painted all the time. It’s alot of fun for us.

My son painted his black and other dark colours at that age :woman_shrugging:t2:

nail polish is not good for kids nails at that age, just be careful not to wreck the nails, maybe give him stickers instead.

1 Like

Let him paint his nails but only because he wants to not because his sister is getting hers done.

Definitely let him… if it makes him happy let him do it. He just wants to express himself… :star: I think it’s beautiful that he wants to be himself.

1 Like

If you want to let him then let him. But also prepare him because kids will make fun of him. Even in kindergarten kids have fallen in to “gender roles” (whether that’s right or not is not my point)

4 Likes

Take him to the salon , he can get a manicure and get clear paint on his nails .
Maybe he just wants to do something for the first day as well , you can also ask him if he will prefer to get his hair done, like a new hair cut instead .

3 Likes

I own a nail salon. Absolutely let him polish his nails. Everyone should have something that makes them feel nice and look nice😊 My son is going into 6th and has worn polish plenty of times over the years. Other kindergartners will likely compliment.

3 Likes

Let him paint his nails. It’s nail polish. Not initiation into the gay club :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

My daughter paints my sons nails all the time he’s 4 and goes to preschool. He tells everyone his sister did it. He loves his sister and looks up to her and anything she does he like thinks is the coolest. I have zero complaints from teachers about bullys and he hasent said anything to me.

Idk he’s a pretty much a super intense little boy loves cars and tractors and fishing. I just try to make sure my kids feel all the love like when he showed me his nails he said look mom and I told him nails looked fucking sick! He thought he was Hella cool. Idk just stay being your kids number one supporter and gas them up always screw other kids or their opinions

If that’s what he wants to do let him my son likes to paint his also, I don’t see any harm!

1 Like

My son is 4 & he wants his toes painted everytime I paint both his younger sisters toes. He always picks blue & I always paint his toes too, he is thrilled lol :nail_care:t4:

Why not just explain there’s things girls do that boys don’t and vice versa? Why over complicate the situation in a child’s mind?

There is a boys bathroom and a girls bathroom. There is a boys clothing section and a girls section. It’s really not that complicated to let him know there’s things girls do that boys don’t.

26 Likes

Honestly this all depends on your personal belief system and what you think is the right way for your children. Sounds like you and your husband didn’t really have that talk before you had kids, so that might be something you need to do before bigger issues than just nail painting on boys comes up. Personally I wouldn’t let my son go to school with his nails painted, but we have let my daughter paint my son’s nails so she could get in some practice on how to do it correctly, and he didn’t mind as long as he could remove it when she was done.

3 Likes

I don’t see an issue there’s is such thing as nail polish remover if needed. So many men wear black nail polish

My personal opinion and no I’m not against anyone I love all people but I wouldn’t allow my child at that age just because kids are assholes. And until they actually “know themselves” then I don’t agree with things like that

I just let my son know somethings are for girls and somethings are for boys. He’s just fine with it. Adults make a bigger deal out of it then kids do.

2 Likes

Let him. Males love mani pedis. Mostly they prefer clear polish, some like colors. No big deal. I hope he enjoys his nails and has a wonderful kindergarten year!!

I don’t need to read past the first sentence. Yes.

You can always say no, just tell him that is a girl thing

1 Like

Yea that’s a no from me. My son has gotten a mani but with no polish. I would say talk to your husband more and come to an agreement on what your beliefs are in your household.

2 Likes

I let my son paint his nails. He only asked once as he saw me doing it. He was happy chosing his colour and proudly showed everyone. No harm in it at all.

Your husband is right.

2 Likes

Let him pick his color paint his nails! Good for you! Way to advocate for you son. And let dad know if he’s going to be gay that’s not how it’s done. It’s not a learned behavior.

Personally I feel at that age the other kids would think it was cool but maybe compromise and paint his toes?

Let him paint his nails.

Let him paint his nails it’s not just for girls its for everyone

1 Like

I always painted my sons when he asked. He outgrew it around 5

1 Like

Kids learn and like stuff that happens around them a lot…too ur husband needs to show him some more manly things… And YOU need to explain to him that somethings are for girls only…

8 Likes

My son, 4, loves getting his nails painted. It’s not a “girl thing” and anyone who says it is is fucking lame.

With my son wanted to do something like that cuz his sister did I told him he could paint his toenails cuz then nobody could see them anyway

Do NOT tell him it’s girl thing. It’s a personal choice thing!!
If he is comfortable with people asking him questions about it. My son dyes his hair and I paint his nails because he likes those things, & I also give him pedi’s w/ clear polish. He gets asked if he is emo, more than being called a girl.
It does attract attention and just make sure he understands that. :muscle:t3: he’s got this!

5 Likes

Your husband wants his son to grow up to be a man not a sissy that everyone makes fun of.

14 Likes

I have Never seen a bottle of nail polish that said not for boys :blush::blush::blush:

6 Likes

I feel that this isn’t something that should be decided by a bunch of strangers, this should be between you and your husband. Since you are discussing the son consider your husband’s thoughts over yours

7 Likes

I am afraid that he would be teased by the other children … Children are cruel as they learn the ugliness early. But it is a decision you and your spouse must agree on.

2 Likes

My boy does he will do as he likes and when the mean comments and bullying start we will help him understand

1 Like

Kindergardeners aren’t that cruel?
What world do you live in?

3 Likes