Should I let my son paint his nails?

No. Kids are cruel. That is something for him to decide at a much older age. High school or older

5 Likes

Well, since I do believe this is a matter of him not feeling left out…why not make something special out if it. Mommy took sissy to get her nails done for the first day of school. Daddy is going to take you to get a special “xyz” for your first day. Could be haircut, new pair of shoes, new bookbag or something he loves. I feel like he just wants to feel special too

9 Likes

Let him. My grandson did it because his sister did and now he’s outgrown it (pretty much) and he’s going on 7.

1 Like

Nah he wont be teased.
As long as they aren’t like pink to exaggerate the “girly”

But I see little boys in primary school with their french braided like what girls would typically wear and they dont get teased

Let him get his nails painted he’s 5. If it makes him happy I say go for it
And to those saying it’s not “manly”. I’ve never seen a nail polish labeled girls only
Get your head out of your asses and let kids be kids

I let my son paint his when he was that age. I got more criticism from adults believe ot or not. I pretty much told them, not their decision. He’s 6, almost 7 now and doesn’t seem to have interest anymore.

2 Likes

If do try doing a very light natural color — tan or light pink

Its not a girl thing I take it people don’t actually know the history behind make up then.

2 Likes

I’m more concern that nail polish is toxic for children. You can teach him how to express himself without poisoning their body

5 Likes

Let him do it I’m a nail tech and my two boys get their nails painted all the time . They love it

2 Likes

I teach prek…kids can be cruel

4 Likes

I know grown men even famous men that paint their nails

3 Likes

If we started over in this world and left all that this is for boys this is for girls type a bullshit in the past so many things would be accepted and there would be so much more humility and love but half of yall are in a chokehold with this toxic masculinity and it wont let yall go.

Acceptance, love, peace, minding your damn business

HOW ABOUT WE STOP BLAMING VICTIMS FOR BEING BULLIED AND GO AFTER THE BULLIES FOR THEIR STUPID ASS INSECURITIES AND WHY THEY BULLY PEOPLE! #stopvictimblaming i said wtf i said

1 Like

And the teachers will possibly form an opinion about you and your child at the beginning of kindergarten that may follow him through elementary school. I also think it depends on where you live, some areas maybe more accepting of this than others.

You’d be surprised how cruel kindergartners can be. Especially when their parents teach them to be.

3 Likes

YES!!! Let him! Teach him that it’s okay to be diverse. My son painted his toes until about age 10 because, why not?

1 Like

His body his choice.

If we lived our lives afraid of being made fun of during our time on this earth it would be miserable.

5 Likes

Actually I wouldn’t say kindergarteners aren’t that cruel because all kids in today’s world are cruel. I think he just feels left out maybe do something special for him or have dad take him to do something special for first day. Im also not against kids expressing themselves so id say if u let him then do a darker color not something thats more of what a girl would do like pink or purple maybe do a blue or something but i would say black would probably be perfect thats what the boys done when I was in school. Im sure it won’t last long he will outgrow it cuz hes young even if he still stays with it nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

You should never go against your husband and vice versa. You are demonstrating to your son that your husband’s words doesn’t matter. It can back fire on you and he will play you two against each other. Is this matter worth all that. I personally wouldn’t go against my SO. But, to each their own.

3 Likes

My youngest he often has his toe nails painted hes never said anyone has picked on him

1 Like

As someone who works with preschoolers every day… I can highly say they will all be excited about what color it is and compare their nails and ask if they have glitter polish too! If he really wants to express himself let him! It’s also a really good example if by chance someone does make of him, to give a life lesson of doing what you want anyway.

6 Likes

Working in a nursery we aren’t allowed to discriminate and gender materialise things as been boys or girls, we have to encourage the child to explore and be themselves and there’s too much discrimination in this world as it is, when I have kids later on in life I will be allowing them to explore things like this x

Its fine. I’ve got 7 boys. Some went to school with painted nails. Geez my 20 yr old son goes to uni with painted nails . We don’t live our lives by the judgement of others. Raise leaders not sheep. As I teach my kids. Other peoples opinions are not your business…

3 Likes

1 no you are wrong kids are mean no matter the age.
2 if he wants them painted let him.

2 Likes

My 2nd grader went to school with his nails painted with red nail polish. He didn’t care. The boys asked him if that was a nail polish and he said yes my little sister did it. He said he didn’t care about anyone else :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My son has been wearing nail polish since he was 3 and he’s seventh grade now. His ex father had a shit fit over it he didn’t win. I let my son express himself as sees himself.

Either way there will be a lesson.

2 Likes

Maybe see if hubby would compromise with something like red with black website for spiderman?
Yes kids can be jerks to each other but it wouldn’t matter if it was his nails or his school bag. Instead of hampering our little ones we should be teaching them not to be mean.

Who knew nail polish was so divisive? :joy_cat:

1 Like

It’s 2022… let he/him live

Yes he shouldn’t be put into any category while little, boys even like to play with dolls, crikey they have soldier dolls for boys, and wrestling dolls too even girls like to play with them. So let a child experience things, that’s even having nail varnish on.

He is little let him live life to the fullest if he is not made fun of at home he will feel great about his nails you should help him with colors for his clothes or his eyes or his hair just make sure he knows every one loves the idea and if it does go bad at school just let him know that not everyone has great test in colors

My almost 4 year old always wants to paint his when he sees me put it on. I do his thumbs and big toe nails. So not a big deal. It literally comes right off.

How many chemicals on a daily basis are you exposing to or putting on your child.
Really think about it as these things may seem harmless but over time especially on a growing child can build up and be toxic.

1 Like

Let him encourage a mire neutral color if your that worried about it or even a clear with light sparkles (glitter is for boys too)

Why is this still a iuuses at 2022? Let him paint his nails…guess what? It isn’t going to stay on long.

That would be a no for my son.

8 Likes

The comments on this post are so contradicting. A few weeks ago most of you mummas were telling a mum not to allow her young daughter to get her nails done for her year 5 formal yet here you all are telling this mum to let her 5 yr old son paint his nails. Have yous even thought about the fact that most schools don’t allow nail polish? Rules apply for a reason. If your sons school allows it then let your son do what HE wants

I just did my 5 year old. One hand pink and one hand blue. He loves it xxx

I would Just do a light color if your worried or even the clear but I’d also use a kids safe nail polish.

Paint his nails if that’s what he wants … there isnt anything wrong with him wanting to do this but there is something wrong with people that think otherwise

4 Likes

Ur his mom u should not ask random people on the internet because people on here are ignorant. I think it’s a great idea. There are gender neutral colors you can use

1 Like

My mans grandson still paints his toe nails and fingernails he’s going into 1st grade and he don’t get made fun of

Males getting manicures is actually great …when the grow & get older especially but id say clear regular polish….

2 Likes

Normalize boys/men having painted nails. So tired of boys/men being judged for expressing themselves.

2 Likes

My boys love there toes painted blue

1 Like

My boys have had their nails painted, I just let them. I don’t for school thou but thats because the school don’t allow nail varnish at school

Um no but that would have been the answer for my sons

5 Likes

My little boy is in preschool and he wore bright red fingernails on the first day of school because he sees mommy and wants to be pretty like mommy! Not one kid said anything to him. And this is a preschool of at least 75 kids! They are just kids let them be!

5 Likes

I would let my son paint his nails…. He’s in first grade this year and picked a pink backpack and purple glasses for the school year

4 Likes

Definitely not. You should paint them for him, you’ll be neater.

7 Likes

It’s okay to tell your son no. Don’t let other moms bully you or shame you into feeling like you are ruining your child by telling him no nail polish.

Something non toxic and clear is always a good option too

I wouldn’t allow it, you just never know if kids will make fun of him and you don’t want him to have a bad experience this soon that possibly could have been avoided.

I think your son may just be feeling left out, maybe dad can take him for a hair cut or to do an activity at the same time.

My son is 7 he likes his nails getting painted, nobody ever bullied on him, my eldest son nearly 17 paints his black sometimes, I dont see any issue and non of mine have been bullied. If someone wants to bully a child they will find anything, hair colour, eye colour, clothes etc…I’m the one that paints them as they’re messy lol

2 Likes

My four year old son loves his nails painted and no one picks on him at daycare

1 Like

It literally won’t hurt him… Let him be… Paint his nails. Odds are that the other kids will think his nails are cool… Aaaand just so everyone is clear… Painted nails actually started with men… It was a way for warriors and travelers to communicate non verbally. The paint made it easier for them to see. We turned it into a female thing muuuuuuch later… But it’s perfectly normal for boys to paint their nails and we need to stop acting like it isn’t.

2 Likes

My son loves getting his nails painted! He’s 2.5

I wouldnt, only because kids are mean. My job is to try to protect them from what I can til they are older.

If you wanted something done because you liked it, would you want your parents to do it for you if they could? Yes. Do it. Paint his nails for him. Let him express himself how he chooses. Anyone can wear nail polish, let your son be who he is. He may like it now then change his mind later. I have a son that is on and off with it while another loves it. I’d never not do it for uptight society reasons. It’s becoming a less close minded world.

3 Likes

I mean I personally wouldn’t but the other day I asked my son if I can & he said no. However, if he really wanted too I do have a soft heart so I’d say yes lol

Paint the child’s nails, and if someone makes fun of him use it as a moment to let him know that other person was in the wrong not him. My daughters boyfriend paints his all the time, a grown man over 30 and it’s one of my favorite things about him living his life not caring what people think of him.

3 Likes

No, explain to him that’s just something girls do

4 Likes

My 7 year old always has me paint his nails. Someone older tried to say something to him, he told them it wasn’t a big deal and he likes it. Never had an issue after that.

1 Like

Why don’t you let dad take him to the nail shop and they both get a manicure with buffed nails only.

2 Likes

Of course! Let him express his individuality

2 Likes

Kindergarteners are cruel. They’re taught at home to bully other kids for anything. With that said you can’t stop a bully. You can prevent your kid from doing things but bullies will find more to bully him over. He’ll be constantly doing or not doing things to stop the bullies. But they won’t stop. Let him paint his nails. Put him in martial arts so he can defend himself. Teach him bullies bully to feel powerful over you. If you don’t give them that power they can’t do anything to you.

Go for it! Little boys deserve to feel pampered too

1 Like

I didn’t get past the first sentence and the answer is yes, or do it for him.

1 Like

Sadly both. Dad right cause kids can be cruel and you’re right cause you want your son to express himself. Me personally I wouldn’t let my son paint his nails.

You would be Surprised actually at how Normal is! I teach 3 year olds more Boys then Girls had their Nails painted… Or a couple boys had their toes down so it could be covered up with shoes

No…just say no boys dont paint their nails

5 Likes

Go for it. If kids pick on him, this is a good way to teach him early that anyone is allowed to express themselves. Paint is not gender specific

2 Likes

Find another way to make his 1st day special. Tell him this way he is doing something sister is not.

Absolutely there is nothing wrong with boys painting thier nails. Nail polish has no gender. My 8 year old son loves to have his nails and make up done.

2 Likes

I think masculinity is still important, but lots of masculine men take care of themselves and treat themselves to a mani/pedi. I personally would not do anything more than clear, but that is definitely a personal choice that you make for your kids. I would explain to him in a way that he can understand, and if he still insists on doing it, decide as Mom and Dad. I know sister is an influence and that is the why.

I had this happen with my kid recently I said nail polish is strong and you need a chemical to get it off I’d rather you try coloring your nails with a marker instead. He did it and never asked again.

2 Likes

I personally would not. Kids are cruel. If sis got her nails done then find something special for him to do instead.

6 Likes

Men have been painting their nails since ancient Babylon times. Warriors painted them just before they went into battle. Polish men also started a movement in 2016 to signify that they stand against child sexual abuse. Have your husband do some research on the subject. Maybe you are raising a little warrior :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Let him do it. Nail polish isn’t gender specific. If he wants to do it, go ahead. Many boys want painted nails. And yeah, I really doubt kindergarteners will care, if they’re anything like 4-5 year old daycare kids, they’ll just think it’s cool. :joy: Let him have fun!

It’s a shame there are so many closed minds on this thread. Let people do what they want, as long as no one is getting hurt WHO CARES??? You don’t have to understand but you have to accept. It’s like saying I am on a diet so no one can eat cake. GTFO and open your minds.

1 Like

I would let him “ express” himself in a different way, and what ever happened to a good old fashioned “ no”! Why are parents these days afraid to say no to their kids?? Would you let him wear a tutu if he wanted to on his first day? :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I’ll paint my son’s nails at home but for them to wear it to school big no. I have a 3 rd grader and a kindergarten. Last year my 3rd then 2nd grade chewed it off because he was being pack at my his friends and my kindergarten this year had green on last week and also got picked on so please listen to your husband.

No one is “right” in this debate. Your husband is justified in being hesitant, kids can’t be cruel, even in kindergarten. You’re justified in wanting to allow your son to express himself.

Let him paint his nails, but before you do, have a conversation with him about how to address questions and comments from other kids, if asked why he painted his nails.

3 Likes

The amount of woman/ moms in here saying no is crazy my son used to all the time when he was in k,1st,2nd then one day decided he didn’t want to anymore because it was “for girls” till he had a little sister that loves to paint hers her dads and brothers nails all the time. Let him express himself because one day these little things won’t happen.

My 5 year old son wanted to paint his toe nails because i was… he had blue nails for 2 days. One of his friends said nail polish is for girls i waa there and had mt quick reply that nahh hes a rock star, lots of boys can wear nail polish. But either way i let him do it he learned and wanted it taken off hasnt asked again.

1 Like

This really is a question of preference on the parents part. But. Kids should be able to express themselves. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with it. Let him be him.

1 Like

My niece bailed on me so I let my 12yo nephew get a pedicure a couple weeks ago lol not a big deal

Let him. I did with my son. He wore nail polish all through 2nd grade. I talked with him. I let him know that nail polish is great. It’s for whomever wants to use it. I also explained that sadly not everyone thinks that and he might come across some kids who don’t like it and might say mean things. Let him know that he can have it if he thinks he can handle it and ignore mean people. Let him know what he’s up against and let him decide. But please if he decides he can deal with the haters, let him get a color he wants. Dont do this clear crap everyone’s talking about. He probably wants to paint his nails because he has a color in mind. Painting them clear will eventually make him think that being himself is ok… as long as no one sees it. Thats like if when woman started wearing pants people were like, “Hey woman! You can start wearing pants… just make sure you wear them under a long dress so it cant be seen.” Also you can talk to his teacher if he paints his nails and he/she can look out for him throughout the day.

Kindergartners are cruel like that
Do as you see fit bit be prepared for this to go either way

Kids can be cruel, even in kindergarten. My son had problems being made fun of because of his Shoes (Vans) on the very first day of kindergarten. That being said though, I don’t think teaching your kids to not express themselves for fear of others opinions is healthy at all. And especially with the trends and whatnot of today, boys wearing nail polish is not weird anymore. A lot of men do.

Go for it… My 10 year old paints his :woman_shrugging: AJ from backstreet boys has always done his too lol :laughing:

1 Like

You will find out after his first day of school if he ever wants to again or not. Kids are mean. Doesn’t matter the age

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: explain about bullies and how it’s really no one’s business but his​:woman_shrugging: it’s his nails.

No. I have two boys and I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Yes. Normalize letting kids do things that make them feel good about themselves. And teach them how to respond to naysayers.

Maybe just the toes if you’re worried no one will see them bc he’ll have shoes on but he’ll still be happy for having them painted . My 4 year old does that sometimes when he sees me and my daughter painting ours I personally don’t care if he wants me to paint his fingernails too and he sometimes does but u might hear some comments from kids as well as adults (we did) it’s your call mama.

1 Like

I’d make it black so he can be a “rockstar”

3 Likes

I’d let him. But maybe not the shellac/gels in a salon as the removal process can damage nails. Maybe set up a spa day at home for him!

use clear/lite clear pink

I did my sons toe nails when he wanted his nails painted like mine or his sisters. I did clear on his fingers. I sent him to school with blue nail polish once and he was heart broken when his teacher questioned him.

Kindergarteners are absolutely cruel like that, the mean kids start in pre-k, and only learn how to be more mean by each year. It Is very unfortunate but that’s just how some kids are

7 Likes