Should I send my son to summer school?

Would you send your child to summer school even if they have good grades? I am confused. My son’s teacher reached out to me about possibly convincing my son to go to summer school, but he has never struggled, and his grades are all good. Why would they suggest this?

14 Likes

If his grades are good I wouldn’t.

3 Likes

Does she feel he needs help in a specific area? My oldest has good grades but struggles reading.

Kids need a break especially after this last year. If he doesn’t need it I wouldn’t send him. Have you asked him if he’d enjoy going?

6 Likes

Set up a meeting with the teacher. Discuss it.

2 Likes

If grades are good id say nope. I failed math and had to do summer school. Ended up passing the summer school class but they still put the fat F on my transcripts

I do. It keeps her on track with math and literacy. She’s a great student but absolutely hates doing any math or literacy with me. This way she has less down time and stays on track for the next year

3 Likes

Why don’t you ask her.

Mine finished the school year with 2 A’s and 2 B’s and he is attending summer school. If teacher reached out maybe teacher sees a specific area they need help in or who knows maybe a little extra work would be good for them. Ain’t like it’s been a regular school year, they ain’t went as many days as they should, it won’t kill them! And besides it’s not all summer long, plus it keeps them from forgetting what they have learned.

Ask the teacher why she is suggesting summer school.

2 Likes

Maybe when you were talking to the teacher you should of said why ?

2 Likes

My daughter is going to summer school for her social anxiety. It takes her over the first semester to be comfortable enough in the classroom to start learning properly. Maybe there is a social aspect to it or possibly she sees potential in your son and wants to keep him interested in learning throughout the year.

My son was always border line. So…each year i did send him to summer school. It helps them not fall behind and then potentially fail.

Summer school doesn’t always mean that they are way behind. It could mean that you want them to get further ahead. That’s just how I see it because I have always sent my kids to summer school at least while they’re in lower grade levels in elementary school because it seems to help them prepare for the next year.

My youngest is going to summer school. They are calling it a summer loss camp to help prevent them from losing anything over the summer. She did not come close to failing but she did have some struggles. The way it was explained to me was that they are not quite where they need to be but they do not need to be retained. She’s going into the 2nd grade and with the pandemic and everything I believe it’s a great thing

No. Kids need a break, if his grades are good there is no need for summer school.

1 Like

summer school allows kids to have addtional time before moving on to the next grade. they still get time off before the next school year. kids who attend summer school tend to have a better outcome in the next grade weather it be because they didn’t regress over the summer or they were able to make their skills stronger

No! I don’t believe in summer school! Let them be kids and have their summer break. Email the teacher and see if there is anything you and yr child can work on at home a little maybe but other than that I wouldn’t send. Teachers… leave them kids alone. I think they get a bonus for summer schooling but still, their only kids once let them enjoy.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make my kid go to school during the summer. They already are forced to go most of the year I wouldn’t take her break from school away from her

Could it have anything to do with his state test scores. When my son was in grammar school he got all good grades but couldn’t pass the reading FCAT and they sent him to summer school.

I sent my older kiddos who said they didnt do any work it was mostly “fun stuff”. Like home economics kind of things. They cooked, sewed, etc… so maybe ask what they would do? And if it isn’t that fun stuff it at least keeps them from losing all that info they learned that year.

My oldest daughter is going to summer school because she was online for long. Her handwriting has reverted back to big letters and small spacing because she was on the computer so much for class. She isn’t failing but it won’t hurt for them to catch back up a bit from virtual this past year. Plus it’s only from the 8th-30th

Maybe ask the teacher who knows your child and not a bunch of strangers who don’t have the full story?

2 Likes

Because of Covid, children have missed a lot of in person instruction time. Thus, missing a lot of social/emotional skills. It will also, help keep skills sharp and keep children from regressing. I’m not sure what state you are in. But we are in West Virginia. Our schools are doing like a 3 week summer camp for the elementary kids, 4 days a week, 8 to 1. It’s fun learning activities set up in small group. They are focusing on art, PE, music, robotics, just a few of the activities.

Shouldn’t they have called a meeting with you to explain?

I sent my son who’s 7 to summer school just to start the summer with some fun, keeping up with his friends, an keep the mind going, maybe do something he didn’t get to in regular school an get a head up on what’s goin to be happening the next year for him!

Is he in a special class? A lot of times they recommended kids in special classes go to summer school so they don’t forget the material and they have extra help if they’re struggling

They did the same to my son who has all A’s and B’s and said the reason was he scored low on 1 benchmark test (a test to supposedly score the teachers). She said her input as his teacher was not included in the decision at all and felt he was ready to move to the next grade. Just ask his teacher. May be a similar situation.

Summer school is good for kids because it helps them learn what their next grade will be like during regular school year.

I send my son every summer. It isn’t as academically structured and is more for staying with a schedule, spending time with friends, and having fun.

Nope , my girls bean doing virtual since last March I won’t send them summer school but all your dession in your kids

Maybe its not necessarily that he is struggles but she just doesn’t want him to fall back

My son is going just so he doesn’t fall back! He needs the consistency but depending on his age it could be for a bunch of reasons. This year has been nuts - I would send him, but you do what feels right to you and your son!

After half my sons kindergarten year spent at home fighting to do virtual school and 1/4 of the year only at 2 days in person then only like 2 months at 4 days a week in person… we are fully supportive of summer school! He needs it to make sure he’s where he should be

2 Likes

My daughter goes every year but her district does a camp basically. It’s through June then credit recovery is in July. She’s never had to do that

My state is encouraging all teachers and student to do summer school because of a grant they received. They need a high attendance for it, that’s all

3 Likes

My sons school sent home slips to everyone. It probably means nothing but I signed him up for 4 different sessions just so he can socialize and not forget the material

1 Like

We do summer school but it includes swimming lessons. Which is the biggest reason we choose to send them but my oldest also loves being in school

1 Like

Summer school is sometimes full of fun activities. Maybe it will be good for him socially? Or maybe he expressed an interest in something that they will be doing in summer school?

1 Like

Idk about there but here in tn they are doing a summer “school” but its like a camp thing where they just have fun

1 Like

Did you ask the teacher these questions? I’ve never heard of summer school being recommended if it wasn’t needed

Some teachers have this crazy idea that learning is fun jk :joy:and especially for smart kids to continue to learn when the kids want to just be home, play, be lazy and do what they want lol

I feel because of Covid and test scores are going to suffer next year. So they didn’t get to teach to test because your children were at Virtural school most of last 2 years and have just gotten the Federal school money. They want to make sure there test scores don’t drop. Most of the schools offering summer school don’t usually have it. Most of summer school is only 4 weeks what is going to hurt sending them. But like you say let older ones choose. Might be good time of review or make up Credit time. Sometimes it is more relaxed in summer and smaller class sizes.

1 Like

My kids school did it as like a camp and did fun activities and field trips along with a selection of at home projects you could choose from. They really enjoyed it :slightly_smiling_face: they are 9 and 7 :heart:

1 Like

Extra schooling wouldn’t hurt any child. Would say go for it !

2 Likes

Extra schooling wouldn’t hurt any child. Would say go for it !

This school year was long enough

2 Likes

Yup my daughter is doing a success summer program only 40 kids got picked at her school. She’s finishing kindergarten and is reading at a first grade level.

1 Like

Depends. The school here does it more for working parents to have somewhere for the kids to go. The district here does field trips to the pool, hands on activities etc

Because it gives them extra credits which could turn into early graduation. Then off to college at an earlier stage. It’s a head start on life.

2 Likes

I would because it keeps them up in school

Could be needed class credit for using a free period instead of signing up for a regular class.

1 Like

If it’s public school then they get money from the government for the kids attending. So more kids more money for the school. If he is doing good in school and doesn’t want to go and you feel comfortable let him have the summer off.

2 Likes

No even kids need a break I thought I wanted summer school at like 9 even tho I had straight A’s and randomly had a mental break down school is working a full time job let them enjoy there time off to just be a kid

1 Like

My daughter (17) did summer school in middle school electively. It’s not always for kids that struggle, but help kids not regress over summer and therefore move forward at a more consistent pace.

1 Like

I wouldn’t, the kids need a break too. School has been hectic for everyone.

Are they suggesting he take an advanced course next year, if so to get him ready…
:woman_shrugging:

I wouldn’t, unless my child was struggling or behind. I, personally, can’t wait to enjoy Summer break with my kids, and I feel like they need a break, too.

My son completed with A/B honor roll, but he is doing a summer school STEM Camp. It’s only a 2 week program but they will engage in lots of Math & Science projects.

2 Likes

Id let him enjoy his summer

I’m sending my younger 2 to camps through their school. So, they have fun but also learn. Maybe you can look into something similar.

because of covid a lot of schools are offering summer school. the way covid a lot of kids got really behind. even tho your kid got good grades it still might be good for him incase there was some stuff he just didnt quite get during the year. I wouldn’t hurt anything to send him, but if he did good I would let the choice be his.

She/ he must think your chid could use the extra help

If they are in HS yes!! I did it 3 out of 4 years. Got my mandatory electives like econ/civ outta the way. I was able to graduate a semester early

1 Like

I got held back in second grade because I had a C in math because she thought I wouldn’t pass the state exams. Even though all my grades we high A’s and high B’s… They might see potential for them to skip a grade or depending on the grade that the child was in they could take half days in high school not sure I would have the school explain why the suggest summer school

My kid did fine this year and last and she’s going to a 5 week, full day program🤷‍♀️ Grades aren’t everything and kids lost out on a lot these past 2 years and for us it was a no Brainer.

1 Like

This year in particular they’re really just trying to bring kids up to speed considering how screwed schooling has been for many. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Summer Bridge Activity books. Get one. The kids do one page a day and it keeps their brain active. No need for summer school if he’s doing good.

1 Like

My youngest daughter has never struggled and the school wanted me to send her to summer school but not my son who had an iep and actually needed the extra help and this was the year before COVID . I think they need a certain amount of kids with good grades so they have something to show when their records get audited…just my opinion

Possibly because he is a little behind, right now most kids are due to all of the stuff this past year with covid and kids not being in actual school all year. 3 of my 4 older kids are doing summer school this year and I’m thinking about registering my oldest too just because it really can’t hurt any. Maybe the teacher just thinks he could benefit from summer school to help prep him for next year. That’s why I’ve registered my kids for summer school even though only one the teacher recommended it for.

If he doesn’t need it don’t send him

1 Like

I have students that get good grades but have to work really hard to get them because it doesn’t come easy. Also if he’s super close to being on level/ right on level, especially reading, summer school can prevent a “summer slide” which is a decline in reading levels. It could just be to help him stay right where he is. Also I don’t know about your area, but here kids missed the last quarter of school in 2020 and are still catching up.

1 Like

I would ask the teacher why she is suggesting summer school. I personally would not unless child was struggling are something like that

1 Like

ask the teacher, they have missed so much this year. why would you ask people who have never met your child

1 Like

My daughter is going to summer school. It’ll help get them up to speed and keep them there with the extra schooling.

Interesting I wanted to send mine to summer school just for something educational to do this summer. My school said no because he made honor roll all year. From my understanding it was only to help kids who are failing. If that’s something your kid wants to do I say do it this year sucked for the kids!

My school offers summer school as like a summer camp type thing. I send my kids! My kids need to keep their brains active. Covid last year killed their minds. They were so bored!!! Mine are actually looking forward to summer school. It’s very hands on compared to normal schooling