Should I take a job after staying home with kids?

There’s nothing wrong with being a SAHM and there’s nothing wrong with working. Every family is different. But weigh all the options…if you have to pay for childcare to work, are you bringing in enough “extra income” for it to be worth it? With the hours you will be working does that mean you won’t have time to spend with your spouse or to be out doing family things? I hear alot of couples with young children say they work opposite shifts to cut down on the cost of child care but then as a result, they hardly see each other. For me, that wouldn’t be OK. But again, every family dynamic is different and what works for some won’t work for everyone.

I’ve been a SAHM to my children because I feel like they will only be little for so long and I don’t want to miss all those “firsts”.

Go back to work. That’s what I did. Do not put all financial on one person

Maybe look into working at home ?

Being with your kids during their younger years is so beneficial and precious. Im a SAHM of 3. It’s been over 2 years now. I desperately miss working but my time with the kids has been wonderful bonding time. I don’t think it would be worth being away from the kids so much. Id say stick it out until they’re all in school

Definitely part time is doable but a full work week seems not manageable or atleast will lead to burnout fairly quick. Every other weekend? Does that mean working from Monday-Monday ?? that seems wild!!

I have been unemployed for some time now due to loosing my job. Indeed, I have a 8 year old who was doing remote school due to the pandemic. During this time, I took on the opportunity to start my small business. It’s been a blessing because I indeed make residual income (45% profit) , work my own flexible hours, while working from home. I totally understand what your feeling. If anyone Is interested in knowing more about this opportunity, you may feel free to DM. No gimmicks. I’m here to help others with this blessings as I was too. You may also feel free to look into my site at Welcome to my site! 430911 .

I’m not against working moms…I was one … things are tight on one income these days and childcare is so expensive
10 hours every day is a long time away from a young child though…
Do your sums. How much would you earn. How much is daycare. How much would the family benefit. Can you work part-time and do babysitting swaps with a friend in the same position. Can you work nights so your partner is there for childcare
You’ll be exhausted and miss your kids terribly…but sometimes we’ve got no option sadly and then there’s holidays and sickness to consider. Its not an easy decision

Maybe try just a part time job, 3-4 days a week. 10 hour days 5 days a week will be a big adjustment for everyone. Try easing into the workforce then increase if things are working out

I’ve been at work for 1 year after being a sahm for 4 years. My sanity is much more intact when I’m working. I only work 35 hours/week and have the weekends off. I still have mom guilt but it’s whats best for me and my family. Plus my 2 year old gets socialization skills and my 5 year old is at the school I work at.

1 Like

I wouldn’t take that particular job, but find something that has better hours.

You are better off on getting a remote from home position. May not pay the best, but you will be home and your family will adjust!

I would honestly ease into it those kind of hours is a lot and it will be really hard. I was a sahm for a bit and when i went bk to work i started with part time and eased into it. But still 10hrs a day plus every other weekend that would be a hard no

Get a part time job.

When I was a stay at home mom and wanted to help bring in some extra money I started driving school bus. The hours were perfect, the money was decent and most school bus companies let you bring your own children with you. My oldest 2 were in school and the youngest was just over 2. It worked out great!

1 Like

If it’s possible, stay home and raise your children yourself. No one will raise them like you. At least, wait until they are in school.

6 Likes

My ex and I worked opposite hours to save on daycare cost. It was not easy but we managed.

1 Like

I checked into working when my son was younger. The money I made compared to what I would payout for child care wasn’t worth it. Stayed home with my son and had fun.

1 Like

The “extra” money you would be making would pay for the sitter and gas to get to work. Not worth it. Stay home until baby is in school.

2 Likes

Part time trust me ease into it

I went back to work when my daughter was 5 months old. I was one of these that felt like a scrounger being on benefits. I exhausted myself while gaining my qualifications in college. Honestly, it left me ill, looking back I wish I’d of stayed at home a bit longer and not missed out on bringing her up. Financially I wasn’t even better off. You do what’s best for you, there will be plenty of job opportunities but your kiddies are only young once xx

2 Likes

If yal are ok with you not working, I would stay home. Extra money would be going to a babysitter. And now days it’s hard to trust people. At least you would know your baby is home and safe.

2 Likes

They grow up too fast, don’t let a stranger raise your babies. Trust me they need you more than you need a little extra money. Different story if you were the bread winner and had to provide for your family.

1 Like

Makes a BIG difference how much your fiance helps with kids and housework. None? Stay home. Helps a LOT? Take the job.

I’d definitely get a part time job first. Luckily I working the childcare, so I’m able to have my child with me.

I think it’s worthwhile to be the one to raise your kids, no money can give that back. You can always make money later in life

If it was me, I wouldn’t do it. Especially being that long of hours. Maybe just find a job working part time if it’s not gonna cause you financial problems

If you are afford it on your husband’s income I would just stay home for now.

You don’t have to do all the house chores if you’re working, your BF should be picking up more of the house responsibilities since you aren’t SAHM. He can’t make some Mac n cheese and some steamed veggies for when you get home?

I first went back to work when my little one was 3 months old, it was x2 5 hour days so not allot, but it gave me that sense of me time and adult time and also nice to have that little bit of money as he was with family, when he was around a year I went back to work every other day which I enjoyed also, started full time work when he was about 2 and a half

Do what you feel would work best for you, and if it doesn’t work then at least you can stop knowing you can get by on how you have been x

In our wonderful time of covid our littles and school age children are among the most vulnerable. Daycare workers are dying from the virus. I would look for something to do at home or remote phone jobs so you could work less hours and not have to pay for a babysitter.

1 Like

I love my kids to death, but I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom. I waited till my career was established before I had children. I’m teacher so I get holidays and some of the summer off. It works for us.

Daycare, especially with other kids, can actually be wonderful for littles. My kids thrived in daycare and our provider was wonderful. She taught them so many things and treated them like her grandbabies. They got lots of socialization and made friends. It made it easier to send my son to school when the time came.

The point I’m trying to get at I guess is that there is no exact way to raise happy well adjusted kids. Daycare can be a wonderful thing and stay at home moms or dads are great and somehow lots of people make lots of situations work well for their kiddos. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision for your family!

3 Likes

I wouldnt do it personally. I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 week old and i was working 40-50 hours a week until 34 weeks and even just with 1 kid it wasnt worth it to me. Im going back next sunday but im dropping down to part time and no more than 4 days a week

1 Like

I work opposite shifts as my husband so we don’t have to worry about daycare cost because we have no family to help us. I wait tables last night I worked and I made $340.

Its best to take a small part time job opposite hours of your husband so he can care for kiddos when your gone and feel free to allow him to share in cooking and cleaning as well

I would maybe ease back into the workforce if you currently are able to manage financially. Maybe start with instacart on the weekends so your little ones are with Dad.

Find a job caregiving older people in their homes. Gets a little money. Old people love kids, and kids love old people.

You aren’t married so I would go to work. Put a bit away every pay day just in case you needed it to get a new start for you and your kids someday.

I wouldn’t be able to do it (unless my family’s Heath and we’ll being depended on it), I couldn’t be away from my babies and husband that much.

Speaking from a semi long term marrieds now with kids. There are very few jobs he has that keep him from helping with cooking and cleaning and the kids. I worked for yrs at a factory job with 45-55 hrs plus every week and helped my wife who also worked so as for the ‘limited time’ to manage the house his ace can help. As for the kiddo being at a babysitter. It’s just fine the only trouble is finding someone to trust long term for dependability. Thats in itself is harder for the former sahm I can agree. Besides not to be callous but the kid is fast on his way to school hours anyway with 8-10 hrs away from home anyway. Your intentions are very good and helpful. I firmly believe your SO will find it better to be more involved at home with less money worries for you all.

I don’t see a problem in working but many times a babysitter takes most of your pay…in my case one parent stays home because a baby sitter would cost me more 🤷 I say do what works for you . :blush:

Which ever you decide just remember …children get sick …will you be able to stay with them without losing your job ?

Try to run a business from home or find a work from home hob… That way you have more time for the kids and you can be home to do the things you need to.

There are plenty of things u can do from home. If u don’t have a computer and u have a car u can do doordash, instacart, favor or any other delivery service like that until u save enough for a computer and u make ur own hours.

If your pay is high and you figure how much you’ll
Be paying a babysitter or daycare for all those hours (they are expensive)sometimes it’s not worth it and you have very little left after all those hours . Try work from home Andy you get the best of both worlds .

In this time of Covid Pandemic and few babysitters. I’d find something I could do thru home.