Should I take my ex to court so I can claim my son?

Time to get a lawyer and take that calenders and get things out in court before girlfriend makes this worse

1 Like

Lying to the tax office is a fraud and why shouldn’t you claim the bulk of the deductions if he’s with you most of the time.

4 Likes

Take to court but there is a way both of you can claim him 50/50 just saying

1 Like

Go to court and dont back down if u guys decide to get along. Youll be going in circles for ever. Get that court order.

1 Like

I highly recommend getting a court order done and getting a set schedule.

3 Likes

Take him to court.Dont be afraid your lawyer will speak for you.Court is scarey but with the right guidance you will be fine sweetie.Go for it

3 Likes

Girlfriend should have no say. She is not the child’s mother and the courts will tell her that. Don’t let her manipulate you. Tell her to butt out. She is not the mother.

If he can’t discuss his kid without her in the conversation, then don’t discuss him.
And, stop being a scared kid. Grow up and research. You learned that in high school - you don’t know something, look up answers from a valid source. Despite popularity, facebook is not a valid source.

3 Likes

You have to have the child a certain amount of time. Also she has nothing, it’s you the father and the child who’s involved here not her. That just means he’s doing what she wants because he hasn’t had a back bone to tell her. Just claim him first and if they wanna go to court then go. Document EVERYTHING. Been there done that.

2 Likes

Just go to court so much easier then the fighting. He could get ever other year though but the vision etc will all be settled.

If he puts child support, that’s considered his half of supporting the child and he’s entitled to claim every other year, not pretty but true, could be different by states tho so you could explore that avenue

1 Like

If you do take him to court be prepared because the jidge may allow him to carry the child every other year. Best bet is to talk to a real lawyer not fb

If he pays child support then it is his right to clam him every other year

1 Like

First of all without downplaying the other facts, you’re lucky he takes him every other weekend and it sounds like he pays support because you didn’t say he doesn’t. That in itself says something positive about him given the millions of complete deadbeats out there….just saying. Obviously he has moved on so getting together with you for anything that doesn’t include the new woman in his life is probably a stretch at this point… he doesn’t want to be around you. No court will make him exercise his visitation rights so how often he has him is considered his choice legally. They will enforce child support but can’t force him to visit or take him more often. If it goes to court you will end up in mediation which is a process that the court orders which will cost you both a lot of money and time…it is not free, however they keep working with you until arrangements are mutually agreed upon that are then court ordered, including who claims him and when…. thousands of dollars later. I’d tell the GF she is stepping over your boundaries and she needs to butt out!! Don’t even talk to her :woman_shrugging:t3:

Take him to court and if I were you still claim your son

1 Like
  1. throw the calendar out let him know he doesn’t get to pick and choose and you’ll have a discussion about what works for you to.

2. no he has no right to claim it. He has his son every other weekend ?? Lol tf

3. tell that woman stay in her lane, whoever has him more claims it in general.

4. go to court and order she’s not involved seeing as she wants to be so involved

3 Likes

If you do yout taxes before him, claim your sin. If it isn’t court ordered whoever files first us going to get exemption

1 Like

Who ever the son lives with thsts who claims him u have to have the same address and live with u for most the year so how he going to claim

2 Likes

What right does he have to claim the child you take care of . Me and my sons father split up our court agreement says we switch off years on who claims him . Every year at tax season he fights me this year he claimed my son ( my year ) and I have to take him back to court . Anyone that doesn’t have there child more than half the time has no right to claim them on taxes I’d put a stop to that asap

Young one, first thing you need is a lawyer. This lady has nothing to say about your child - however sounds like she’s got your ex by the b@iis . Get legal advice and keep all texts sent by him and his gf. If she does text you -ask her not to text or call you because you have nothing to say to her about your son and his father. Any time after that - she’s harassing you.

1 Like

Why don’t she have her own kids and claim them and stop worrying about yours. I would not allow it and they are probably bluffing anyway because court is expensive.

I live in ny and taxes schedule has to go through child support court not regular custody court. If he helps pay for things regarding your child or has him under his health insurance he is entitled to claiming him on taxes

Take the asshole to court.

You file every year don’t say anything to him he’ll learn the hard way when he tries to claim him

You don’t need the courts permission to claim your son. He’s with you the majority so he’s your dependent. Not his. Do take him to court for full custody. Get a lawyer!!! Use the calendar as evidence of how much time he wants with his son. Get everything in detail. When he sees him, who claims him everything. People here will accuse of being a control freak. You’re not. You’re just a mom taking care of your child wanting what’s rightfully belongs to your son not his father’s gf. It’s the gf who is trying to control you. Don’t let her.

3 Likes

Per irs the parent who has the child and providing care for majority of the year. Think of it like this. If the child lives with you full time but visits dad 20 weekends a year and no weekdays then that would be approximately 20% of the time spent with dad and 80% percent of the time spent with you. You would claim in this instance. Keep track in a calendar just about the child. I did and still do that just to prove how little the father bothers to be dad. Dad can always claim the partial child tax credit. It is for parents who do not have their child majority of the year or in the instance of filing married but filing separate. Also as the mother with primary custody. Always file immediately upon receiving all documents. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

My ex claimed my kids for years until I started earning a decent wage and the amount of child support he paid was minimal. Then my son went to live with his dad at age 10 (10 years after the divorce) and my daughter refused to go to her dad’s after she turned 11, so we each claimed one. Every situation is different. Maybe you could talk to an attorney.

not sure where u are but i no in canada the female get child tax and can claim the child unless common law … also i would go do the taxes first and tell him u already claimed him and bring all daycare recipts ect if ur ex tries anything then go to court but really go do the taxes … he can onlybe calimed once

Good luck, here where I live the try and make everything fair or what they see as fair.
I have 2 kids and my ex gets to claim one every year and I the other.
His lawyer told me that if it was one child I would have every other year to claim.

Go back to court. They will adjust the child support according to income and percentage of time you each have the child. Once that is equitable- then you should each have every other year to claim the child on your taxes. Once it’s all listed in a modified child support order - that should do it. His fiancé should stay out of it. You and the father need to learn to co-parent. You both should always put your child first.

Take it to court. They will look it and make a fair decision. If he paid child support, he might get to claim taxes. I know someone itsxeven years mother claims. Odd years dad claims

1 Like

You get to claim you child each year. However if he files first and claims the child, nothing you can really do about it. File first and claim child every year.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::sob: babygirl please dont fall for that bs! you are primary caregiver and entitled to those funds, if you go to court its a long process and whoever has the kids most yhe money is payable too. Tell the fiance to kiss your :peach: and walk bout she threatening you with court :rofl::rofl::sob:

4 Likes

Why would you agree to that trash?? Just file. AND GO FILE FOR SOLE CUSTODY. Read a book.

Yep I would go to court. I’m not letting anyone claim my baby I raise 24/7 and neither should you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In California, whoever has the child more than 50% of the time has the legal right to claim… unless otherwise specified in court or a notorized agreement.

1 Like

Go and ask Centre link see what they can do. They are now connected with the Tax dept and if your ex has been doing the wrong thing it will show up and he will have some explaining to do. I would also go and get some legal advice, try legal aide you should be able to access through your local community centre.

The IRS doesn’t give a flying f$^@^. the person who can prove residency for the child gets to claim them.

If you are custodial parent you claim the child

It depends on the courts but until it’s gone through court, he legally can’t claim the child.

Honey, u stand strong! You do not have to let him claim your son, especially since u have him the majority of the time and since it is YOUR money that is spent supporting your son. His fiance sounds like a money hungry biatch and is trying 2 influence him 2 claim your son so that will be more money in their pockets when they are not deserving of it. Stand tall and proud sweetheart! You continue 2 claim your son bc u r entitle 2 do so, not your ex. Do not let them intimidate you about this. You r 100% in the right 2 claim your boy! Stay strong!!

On my divorce decree from my ex i put that i will be claiming my kids cause they live with me. His fiancé has no right to the tax money the court won’t even talk to her. They aren’t married yet. The irs will red flag if they see someone else trying to claim the kids if u already did .