Should kids have a bedtime in the summer?

Heck ya, my 4 year old stays up till 8:30

1 Like

You’re being too strict, let them kids enjoy their summer.

Your husband for the win in this one…

1 Like

I let mine stay up until 9. Then when school started two weeks before it went back to 8. I know when I was little it was the same. 8 pm during the school year including weekends, and 9 pm during summer.

Your 14 year old goes to bed at 830? Poor kid. It’s not even dark until 930.

3 Likes

My mids are 14 & 15 then can sleep late and wake up late , it’s summer time. As long as they get up do their chores its all good.

Mine are 11 and 10. During the summer they go bed at 10. Both of mine have additional needs to i like to stick to a similar routine. They uaually go bed at 9.30

Your husband is so right!

My dad always said we didn’t have a bed time we had a wake up time…if we’re tired throughout the day then suck it up and go to bed earlier

8:30 that’s crazy early for summer. Especially for a 14 year old. That ridiculous for a during school

5 Likes

My older kids (13 and 16) don’t really have a bed time during the summer. They have to stay quiet after 10 because we adults still have work early through the week. Then my youngest son, 8, goes to bed at 9 during the week and 10 on the weekends. During the school week when summer is over bed time is at 8 and on the weekend is 9.

1 Like

It’s not even dark :joy: I got a 11 year old, it’s whatever in the summer. Don’t sleep at all if you don’t want to :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I get needing ‘me time’ but that’s a little much for bigger kids. Little one goes to bed at 8, and my big kid I just send to her room at 9- she can sleep when she’s ready.

1 Like

830 is so early they need some down time too especially the older ones I’d say 930 /10

1 Like

my childrens bedtime is 9pm.
We keep that bedtime durning summer also because they still have to get up at 6:30am to go to daycare so i can work.
On weekends though i let them go to bed whenever they feel tired.

Kids should always have a bed time.
Even if you push it to a different time. And that’s ‘in your room’, I don’t think you should try to force em to actually sleep lol

830 is mad early during the freedom of summer. Find a time that works and adjust. Give em a little wiggle room to enjoy themselves a little longer before they are stuck in the classrooms again.

1 Like

While rules, good structure, and reasonable consistent bed times are very important, I would say 8:30pm is definitely too early for summer time. It isn’t even dark yet by then. I absolutely understand needing your quiet time. Perhaps just have them do quiet things after 8:30pm, but let them stay up until at least 9:30pm. And bed times should be a bit varied for different ages. My kids are now 16 and 18, they no longer have set bed times. I absolutely DO however require the house to be quiet after 10:00pm. That is totally non negotiable and just plain good respect and consideration for those of us in the home who have to get our sleep. But I don’t care what time they go to bed since they don’t have to be up early or go anywhere. As long as they don’t disturb my sleep, they are now free to manage their own however they see fit. Of course mine are almost grown, so it is definitely a bit different from your situation. When mine were the ages of yours, they had definite bed time boundaries that were not EVER any later than 10:00pm. And earlier than that most of the time due to school and work schedules. Ultimately, you have to do what works best for your particular situation. Your parenting and your rules are your business, and nobody other than the other parent has the right to have any say in how you parent. With that being said, you did ask, so others are putting in their two cents worth. Take it with a grain of salt. But do take note that pretty much everyone is saying 8:30pm isn’t really reasonable for the summer break.

1 Like

I loved my time after the kids went to bed. Once they were a little older they stayed up a little later but not much. I still had to work in the morning

They had a later bed time in the summer…but still had a bed time.

Let them live a little…summer is almost over. 8:30for a 14 yr old is excessive

1 Like

It’s summertime… but like you say, you need some quiet time too. I would think that 9:30 or 10:00 is plenty late for them to be up.

1 Like

They should have different bed times according to age. 8:30 is early for a 14 year old no matter the time of year. Even my parents weren’t that strict. 10pm is a better time for a 14 year old. In the summer 9:30 is fine for the other two in the summer. During school 8:30 for the 8 yo and 9:00 for the 11yo.

1 Like

I agree with your hubby! 8:30 seems extreme to me. We don’t have a bed time weekends or summer! By 10pm they have to be in their rooms but they can go to sleep whenever they feel like it! During school my little ones have to be in bed by 9pm and my teens 10pm.

1 Like

Give them a break! It’s summer

Lol at night I tell my two oldest don’t stay up all night and sometimes I hear them up til 4am. It’s summer. Whatever :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Your husband. 830 is too early in the summer especially the 14 year old…

3 Likes

It’s summer time. Plus you have older children. Especially the 14 y/o with an 8:30 bedtime wow😳. Summer break kids bedtime for 10 an under 9pm. Kids 11-14 years 10pm. Kids 15 an older 11pm-12am area depending on if they have a job or not. Summer means break for them so you ease up on the bedtime routine for the school year. Now if they go to any summer school/programs then those days of the week they can maintain a school year routine and the days they don’t they can do summertime. You are being too strict you need to loosen up a bit bc it’s supposed to be their vacation time their fun time their down time. Don’t stifle it with your rules an regulations that only make sense for school time. Also 14 bedtime at 8:30 is very unusual. Mine bedtime was 10pm during school

2 Likes

I can’t imagine a 14 year old going to bed at 8:30😄

4 Likes

August should begin the school night /bedtime routine so ready for school at the mid/end of august… summer… is summer and more lenient! :raised_hands::star::raised_hands:

1 Like

Kids should always have a bed time and one day a week they can stay up if they want but they are not allow to sleep all day and Friday night and Saturday night is whatever

1 Like

I understand your needing me time. But 14 is a little old for an 8:30 bed time. I’d give the 14 year old some slack in the summer. Just saying.

3 Likes

Oh you have got to be kidding me it’s summer let them be kids Jesus control freak much

3 Likes

Mine don’t have a bed time, but they do have a room time. Even though they’re off school for the summer, Dad and I aren’t off work, so we still require “quiet hours”. They’re usually all in their rooms by 9pm, and then they can lay in bed and watch TV, read or play on their phones/tablets. Only 2 of our 4 are still in school (9 & 14), so about a week or two before school starts, we go back to our school year routine.

2 Likes

You know when you have kids its not about YOU anymore??? How selfish do you need to be? Its summer. If you taught them to behave, you could still have quiet time when they are awake.

4 Likes

My daughter will be 14 in a couple months, she does not have a bedtime. If she has to get up early she will go to bed early. When I was 14 my curfew was 10 pm so I cannot imagine having a bedtime of 8:30 in high school.

3 Likes

You should relax the rules for the 14 year old. 8:30 is super early! My son is 12 and I pretty much let him stay up unless he has a game or something to do the next day. He will usually fall asleep by 11 or midnight. He doesn’t get to sleep all day the next day, though. He has responsibilities.

I send my kids to their rooms at 10pm but they are allowed to watch TV for as long as they want… my 11yr old is allowed to play video games til 12

My 10 & 5 yr old go to bed at 730 getting ready for school schedule plus with adhd it’s good to have a schedule for them and my 14yr old usually goes to bed at 10 pm

Weekends are usually 11 and week days are around 10:30 we go back to normal time two weeks before school starts. I understand you like your personal time but jeez. Let them live a little especially your teen.

4 Likes

I think the 14yo is old enough to not have a bed time but the others maybe 9 or 10 in the summer?

1 Like

The 14 year old that a little much. After mine started school they went to bed at 10.

We’re homeschoolers but my 5 and 6 yr old normally go to bed around 10 and wake up around 10. 8:30 seems early but you should do what suits ur family best

Omg it’s summer I let my 5 year old stay up later to go outside and catch lightening bugs and have those experiences. Your husband is right

1 Like

My youngest with no nap is asleep by 6:30/7 most nights, no matter what. My oldest who will he in 7, also has a bedtime of 7/730, asleep by 8. However he never makes it till 8 though.

I think a in rooms at x time, is reasonable. So everyone in their rooms at 8:30, lights out at x time.
You’re not being unreasonable you’re being their parent!

Why does one person need to be right? Why cant both parents come to a compromise for each child’s bedtime. The older one should be able to stay up some. But most children still need structure even during the summer. And mom if you need your me time that is fair. I feel there is far more compromise to be had here than just one party being right and the other being wrong.

1 Like

I’m with husband on this one. I remember when I was a kid and a teenager, and my dad made us go to bed at 8:30 in the summer and I could hear all the kids outside playing still, wasn’t fair in my eyes. And my dad was a stay at home dad so we had no day care no nothing in the morning. So when my children is now 11 summer time what is bed time? All I ask is he is inside by 9:30 dark. And then he is quiet at night so we can go to sleep. And he is generally quiet. School year bed time is now pushed back to 9 - 9:30 depending on his attitude in the AM.

For school that’s sounds about right. I do the same with all my kids. But I’d ease up a bit during the summer. Not everyday because then everyone gets irritated because they are not getting good sleep but let them stay up sometimes.

My daughter is 6, normal bedtime is 7:45-8.
Summer bedtime - 8:30

1 Like

My kids have a in your room time. That started when I would put my oldest son to bed at 8:30 and he couldn’t sleep pass 4 am. Their pediatrician told me when they’re sleepy they will fall asleep. They’re now 17, 15 and 13.

8:30? Damn it’s summer!

Mine are 13, 5, 4 and 11 months. My 13 year old didn’t have a summer bedtime, my 2 middle was 9 pm (usually 8), and my 11 month old stayed on 8. I gave them a little but at their ages (my middle 2), they still need that structure in their routine.

I had to put them to bed on schedule. I was a single mom and had to put them in daycare. So we all had to get up early, breakfast, take them to daycare and me to work by 6:30 am.

1 Like

Mine don’t have a bedtime during the summer. I enjoy my freedom of not needing to stick to a schedule & enjoying them longer. Plus my neighborhood is loud. There’s no way they could fall asleep around 8 in the summer. It’s difficult during the school year.

8:30…for an 11 and 14 year old? I’m sorry but unless they’re getting up at 4am that seems a little old for such an early bedtime whether it’s summer or not.
When kids (or anyone) goes to bed too early, they also have a tendency of waking up often throughout the night and struggling to fall back asleep. Then being exhausted come morning from lack of quality sleep.
My kids went to bed early a couple nights ago (the idea was just to have them settle down not actually fall asleep so early) they were both wide awake at 1 and up for several hours. Then exhausted in the morning. It was a mess.

I get valuing your alone time, I do as well. But sending your kids to bed way too early isn’t the answer to getting that alone time.

7 Likes

It’s summer let them have fun! That was the best part when growing up staying up a little later an sleeping in!

1 Like

Mine are 11,7&4 and i MYSELF am in bed by 930 (and thats pushin it :sweat_smile:)so YEA the LATEST THEY ALL GO DOWN is roughly 830-9 summertime or not. If its been an awful day 8 at the latest. Its NOT TOO EARLY. Idc. They play all day and go outside and swim and jump on trampoline, run, play on the swingset, they have allll day to play :see_no_evil:theyre up at 530-6 even if they do stay up past 10 so they can go to bed. My time to myself is important also. We go 13-16 hrs a day and all my boys do is fight no Matter what theyre doing. Even playing. No matter what i do or try. So Im over it come bedtime. 🤷🏼‍♀ y’all can go to sleep :yawning_face:

I have kids those same ages. Summertime bedtime and school year bedtime are not the same. If it’s because you want you “quiet time” set some rules for them. Keep the volume low, You can be awake in your bedroom.

I would say they still have a bed time (summer school days) and a later time on days off. Saturday they can stay up all night if their eyes allow it. :ok_woman:t4:

My daughter has more freedom in the summer mainly because trying to go to bed while the sun’s up is not something any of us can do. So as soon sun starts going down its bed time. But we have more flexibility. I work from home she can sleep in before going to daycare.

I mean do you not remember being a kid during the summer wanting to stay up late?! My daughter is almost 8, during school she’s in her room by 7 for quiet time and lights out by 8pm. Summer we go for quiet time at 8 or 9 and lights out by 10, 11. Come August we will slowly cut the times back to school schedule to get ready for September.

2 Likes

I have a 10 and 13 year old. They don’t have a bedtime really ever, but during school I’ll make them settle in eventually and put screen time limits on so they can’t use their phones past 10/11. Now during summer they go to bed whenever they want. My 13 year old went to sleep at 6:30am the other day :laughing:. A couple weeks before school we will start reigning it in a bit, but I honestly don’t care. They’re old enough to know they’ll be shot if they don’t sleep so if they want to suffer from exhaustion that’s their problem :woman_shrugging:t2:.

I’m not sure my kids have gone to bed this summer…they’re kids. At those ages you should be able to have your quiet time and they can stay up later.

4 Likes

My 11 year old doesn’t really have a bedtime…we go to bed when we are done for the day, he rarely ever stays up past midnight!! We go to bed at the same time…so we just play it by ear!

Yes -an no

Do a latter bed time, start school bedtime like 2 weeks before school starts

14 yr old goes to bed whenever but he is usually in his room or at a friends. 11 yr old goes to bed by 9 on school nights and on weekends start getting ready for bed about 10 or 1030 and be in his room but must be asleep by midnight because he gets emotional if not enough sleep. My youngest which is 7 is special needs. He goes to bed when ever my husband and I go to sleep or whoever is first but he will sleep in.

My kids are 8, 10, and 13. Through the week (during summer), I make my 8 and 10 year olds go to bed at 10 but they’re allowed to watch tv and are usually asleep by 10:30 or 11. I have no clue what time my 13 year old goes to bed lol She has open gym practice 4 days a week for three different sports on top of weightlifting and she has travel softball games on the weekends so I doubt she is staying up wayyyyy late lol

1 Like

My younger kids go to bed when I do just because they wouldn’t let anyone sleep and get into trouble but we normally go to bed at 10. They are aloud to sit on there bed and read but everyone is different. I usually start back a couple weeks before school on going to bed early and waking up early

My 5 year old does because she’s a moody cow if she doesn’t. My 10, 12 and 15 year old don’t really have a bedtime as such. Middle of august we start introducing bedtimes back and getting up earlier to get ready for school starting again

I think it’s ok to loosen the reigns in the summer, especially if they do not have any where to be in the morning. You can always start trying to get them to re adjust like a week before school starts

2 Likes

An hour extra won’t kill y’all.

It is nice if you have another area of the house to scoot them into so evenings can be adult time. If not, let them stay out longer. Going to bed when it is still light out is a bit much.

The 14 year old definitely should be able to. But maybe make it 9:30- 10 on weekdays and 11 on weekends

1 Like

The older ones can have a set time that it’s quiet time - in their rooms door closed, younger ones I raised bedtime significantly in the summer bc let’s be honest it’s still daylight at 8:30 pm in summer.

Was a kid I was told 830 to bed in the summer and felt cheated out if play time, I understand it now, give them till dark 9 or 930. You will both be happier for it.

830? Yeah you are really tripping. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’d give to 9. At least it’s starting to get dark.

14 going to bed at 830 even for school is crazy way to strict

4 Likes

My 10 year old is in bed normally around 10 and 13 year old like 11:30. School starts in mid August so we will start back to school time bed time this coming Sunday…

1 Like

Dads right you’re being too strict. 830 for an 11 and 14 year old in the summer??? Come on now. Unless they have to get up the next day for a super early activity, you’re being way too strict.

It’s summer and you want your preteen and teenager in bed by 8:30… wow… you’re definitely going to a cheap nursing home when you’re old… lmao

1 Like

Bedtime at our house is 9:30 during school… during the summer they don’t have a bedtime, a week before school we go back to 9:30pm

It’s not even dark by 830 here in FL!.. you’re being ridiculous… especially for a 14yr old… husband is right on this one, and I never say that lol

4 Likes

My daughter is 7 and she does way better with a set schedule, she’s happier and in a better mood when she gets good sleep but I move it to 9:30 in the summer. My neighbors kids don’t go to bed till 11-12 and sleep all morning

830 at 14? Thats crazy. My 14 yr old doesn’t even get home from practice until 930.

1 Like

Way to strict on bedtime. My kids are 5 and 3 and they go to bed at 8:30.

I would let them stay up til maybe 10-11pm but once school is a week or two away, start the bedtime routine time again.

1 Like

Wtf is quiet time? :rofl::rofl:

My kids tuck me in, in the summer!

Chill out lady :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You sound uptight. 8;30 for a 14 yr old wow poor child. in the summer my kids go to bed whenever they get tired or when I go to bed so between 10:30-11 (they also sleep in which is nice for me) school time my 10 yr old goes to bed at 9 and my 16 yr old between 9:30-10. she is cranky as hell if she doesn’t get her sleep lol.

That’s too early for anyone

You make your 14 year old go to bed at 8:30?? We never had a bedtime during summer. Definitely ease up a little, that’s nuts.

1 Like

Let them stay up a little later as it is summer. Just not all night

Yikes :flushed: my kids don’t even go to bed that early for school! In the summer we don’t do bedtimes and most of the time all of us (except my husband when he’s working) stay up until 1 or 2 am then we sleep in until about 10! This includes ages twin 5 year olds, 7, 11, 13 and my older 2 aged 17 and 20 depending on if they are working the next day! It’s what works for us!

Your husband when summertime starts I played outside with my friends until dark then went in and watched TV till about 10 and never had problems when school started…be careful carefull

My 4 year old won’t even go to bed at 830

. How u treat a child 14 they will start fighting your stupid rules

1 Like

It’s summer and it’s ridiculous to make a 14 and 11 year old go to bed at 8pm. It’s not even dark yet. Let them babies stay up and enjoy there little bit of summer. My kids are 6 and 13. My 13 year old does not have a bedtime during the summer. My 6 year old goes to bed about 930. Next week they will be back on their school schedule. Which is 830 and 10

I think asking who is right is weird. Are you worried about winning over your husband or being reasonabe for your children? I’m with Dad. Especially for the 14 year old who is a few years away from having to handle real life, which will likely involve being up past 8:30p.

3 Likes

During school our kids (5,6&9) bedtime routine starts at 6 and they’re all in bed by 7:30. During the summer bedtime routine starts at 7 and they can stay up until whenever BUT have to be in their beds quietly doing whatever at 9. Usually they’re asleep by 9:30.

1 Like

Yikes. 830? My 5 yr old doesn’t even go to bed that early. It’s the summer. I agree with your husband. Let them have some freedom.

2 Likes

Mine do because they still have to get up early to go to daycare because I work. I let them stay up later on the weekends or holidays. 3/6/8 bed time is 8:30/9:00 pm