Should my child be around when my dog crosses the rainbow bridge?

The family dog is starting to decline. Should my eight-year-old be present when it’s time to send him over the rainbow bridge??

95 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should my child be around when my dog crosses the rainbow bridge? - Mamas Uncut

Yes. Its a good lesson to teach your child that death is a natural thing. There’s children’s books that explain it very well

3 Likes

My son was 3 when we had to put the cat down he was with us.

1 Like

Omgosh no let him say goodbyes before hand. My 7 year old was devastated and don’t think she could handle actually seeing him die and process that emotionally without having a breakdown. She already has trouble enough and she wasnt present. Even a year later she tears up about him…

I would leave it up to your child. If they grew up with the dog then it might be beneficial for the child and the dog. I’m very sorry, losing a companion isn’t easy.

1 Like

My son was since he was younger than that. He has seen three of our dogs being put down in his life and he is 9. He knows what life and death is about.

All children are different all my boys were with me when we had our cat put to sleep it helped them loads and they could see she wasn’t in pain and were very accepting that she was now asleep and happy xx

1 Like

The rainbow bridge? You mean death or is the dog being deported to Canada?

7 Likes

Ask them if they want to be. That’s a hard one for an adult, more so a child. Explain what’s happening and how it’s a honor to say goodbye, but don’t push it.

2 Likes

Ask your child what they’d like to do. We really don’t give kids enough credit.

My daughter was 11 when our first one was helped to heaven.
I explained what would happen and gave her the choice.
She decided not.to.

Depends on the maturity of your 8 year old and how much you’ve discussed death w him

2 Likes

Yes, its part of life and helps them process grief as they get older.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s part of the life cycle.

3 Likes

I would recommend a couple Sessions with a child’s Psychologist to help your child prepare for the inevitable

2 Likes

Idk. I watched my hubbies cat get put down and it scared the shit out of me with how fast life left her body. It sort of broke me

And by the way to all of you who post deep personal family problems this is a Nails site this is not a site for this kind of information to be shared I’m sure there are other sites that are more appropriate and yet every day people continue to post their personal problems on this site

1 Like

I would allow it, but that’s a personal choice a parent makes. Are they mature enough to handle it? Will it affect them long term? I work in the deathcare industry, so my daughter is familiar with death and handles it well.

2 Likes

That’s a personal choice. If your child’s never been around death it go either way traumatic or a learning experience

1 Like

It also depends on maturity of the 8 year old.

2 Likes

When my cat got ran over, but was still alive I let them all.say good bye, but they weren’t present when we had to shoot her, only because of the way we had to put her down. Otherwise I would have let them decide. We then buried her and had a little thing for her.

Ask your child… I was devastated when my parents told me they were taking the dog for a ride… and came back with out him… (he was very ill and couldn’t walk by himself but I didn’t know that meant he wasn’t coming home)

We are putting our cat down today and my daughter is 10. I am going to talk to her today. I think I would be more comfortable if she wouldn’t be in there for the initial death but the calming medicine would be ok. It’s her first pet and has been her best friend for years. But I am letting her make the choice

1 Like

I would leave that up to your son

Yes they should they will understand there passing better

2 Likes

Prepare & explain to him now how life and death go hand n hand

2 Likes

Personally I dont think I could cope emotionally. Id just feel like screaming and dropping to the floor I dont think I’d have the strength to deal with a grieving child aswell. I know we all have a hidden strength in us and I just pray to god that I can get through it myself and be strong enough for my child

I think I would allow it. The child is old enough to understand whats happening and would probably appreciate the fact he was given the chance to say goodbye.

3 Likes

Yes he/she needs to learn there’s sad things in life too. Don’t shelter them because when they find out the truth they may get mad at you. If this dog means a lot to them then definitely yes. It will be hard but you are there to comfort them

I was about 7 when my childhood dog passed away. He was declining. My parents decided to put him down while i was at school, they didnt warn me or nothing. I came home from school and he just wasnt there, they told me that he got too sick and went to heaven. I was sad, but i feel like it saved me a good amount of heartbreak vs if i was there when he was put down

1 Like

I know I’m probably going to get hate for this but oh well. I have no regrets. My kids were young when our 1st dog passed. 5 and 6 I believe. She was very sick. They found her laying out front, not able to get up. So we put her in the car and went to the vet. We didn’t know we would be saying goodbye that day. I gave them the choice of not being in the room, the vet tech said she would watch them. But they wanted to be with her. It was not traumatic for them. They understood what was happening and why. We had a funeral for her later that week. They are teenagers now and have thanked me more than once for letting them stay in the room.

Yes I always was be harder for the kid if they weren’t

My kiddos have seen birth and death of pets. I know it’s hard when it comes to this. I always prepare my kiddos.

1 Like

I was 14 when we had to let go of my baby. I was there he was my bestfriend

1 Like

I’ve never let my kids watch. I want their last memory to be good.

Yes death is a part of life. I would suggest in preparing your child.

1 Like

Personal choice, I was the one who cuddled our family dog last year when he had to be put to sleep and it was the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever had to do x

I would say yes because they give him a little bit more of a preparation for the future when it comes to stuff like that cuz everything and everybody dies Alex is older than I was when I was introduced to the concept of death and then I didn’t officially lose someone close I’m sad I was like 21 and then my family pet that I’ve had for 18 years just died 3 years ago kind of messed me up but I kind of feel like it was necessary in a way

Honestly no. Speaking from personal experience. Say your goodbyes at home or have them stay in the car and just have the adults who want to be there go in - I grew up with our german shepherd as my parents got her as a puppy when I was 3 and we had her until I was about 15 (I’ve been prett comfortable with death as I’ve lost serval grandparents/ family Members before the age of 12 - we all went to the vet to put her down and they explained to us that they’ll give her a shot to make her comfortable and sleepy and then they would give the final injection. They didn’t explain the process and watching her twitch / pass away etc they just explained it as she’ll be asleep and then pass away like that. It was extremely traumatic and now as an adult I have a hard time with it as that’s the only image I have of her in my head

I do agree it is a personal choice based on maturity and only you know your child…all while learning to be able to learn how to love and let go…these kinds of things are all part of life

I’d talk to your son and see how he feels about it. And if he does go with you make sure you explain the process so he is prepared for what to expect. If not they give you the option to bring your pet home to bury yourself, you could do that so he would still have the chance to say goodbye without being present when your pup passes.

1 Like

Yes. I wasn’t there when my childhood dog of 15 years crossed, and it hurt me more than anything. That dog has been that child’s entire life. Let him/her be there for it if they want to be.

Yes, depending on maturity of the child. It’s a good lesson for the child and opens up dialog for further discussion.

1 Like

Yes depending on child. Talk to the child. Let them know what to expect. Its a part of life, interested in those with a simple hard NO. Whats the reasoning behind that?

Depends on the kid really. Just be honest with your kid and let them know what’s happening and ask them if they wanna be there or not. Don’t make it about whether you should or shouldn’t allow it but make it about whether they wanna be there for it or not. If they want to then let them.

We have a dog declining as well an I feel like they should be there because it’s thier pet as well as everyone in the family. Yes it might be hard but it’s part of life. But you can also ask your child what they want.

My son was 9 when we had our beloved dog put to sleep! He cried but took it very well! It was WAY worst for me. Probably one of the worst experiences of my life. I didn’t realize that he would be gone instantly :sob: I thought we could just hold him until he passed (which I did) but it was instantly. It was a terrible experience. I pray I never have to do that again

My daughter was 7&8 when it happened for ours, she understood better for the second one

I’d give my kids a chance to say goodbye but not to see the pet pass. They need to have memories when the pet was healthy

I would definitely leave it up to your child if they want to be their for their last breath. But please let then say goodbye make sure your child does do that. Out family dog was put down at 14 and I found out over Facebook I was really hurt that I didn’t get to say goodbye and still angry at my mother for not letting us know (my sister and I) we moved out her house so she didn’t tell us.

Yes my Timmy the 🐈‍⬛ died and was buried 40 years ago without me knowing and I grieve to this day.

My girl(kitty) passed in my arms at age 20…on her last breath she foamed at the mouth and released her bowls and bladder! So if your just gonna let them pass at home be prepared for this to happen!

As a veterinary technician and mother I feel like it depends on the maturity level of each individual child. When we had to say goodbye to our Tinkerbelle explained to my kids wha was going to happen and why and left it up to them if they wanted to be there or not

That’s up to you I would. Dog and children are like brothers and sisters they need each other in diffcult times they need to say goodbye

Yes! But don’t force him if he dont wanna be around

1 Like

My son was my rock thru it. I had my dog for 9 years before my son was born and my son was 6 when it was his time. My son did so well until we got to the vet that night and I had to have my sister in law come grab him because he told me he couldn’t watch but he sure tried and was so comforting to me. In the end only you know your child best. Discuss it with them and see their thoughts. Kids are so resilient and can handle hard situations much better than most adults. Im so sorry btw…I know this heart ache far too well…

Yes. It is tough, but usually a childs first experience with death. It is an important teaching moment. :pray::heart:

I think that’s ultimately up to the parents. I choose to tell my 4 year old the truth when ours passed. It was heartbreaking but a valuable lesson. He’s gotten a lot better with accepting death and hopefully it will help him understand when the first human in his life passes.

Absolutely ur big chance to explain to him that life is special an also uncertain even for us

I was about 4 years old when my first doggy went over the rainbow. And been there for everyone of them since.
I would speak to your son and see what he thinks and feels.

We just went through this as adults - we weren’t sure if we should be there but we went and spent time with two of them (it was tragic!!!) I would suggest to! I would’ve regretted it if I didn’t!

Absolutely but I would speak to ur child first an explain what’s happening an answer any questions they may have I think it helps them to understand an they learn a valuable lesson about life an love

Yes if they are close. I feel it gives them closure

1 Like

Our dog recently crossed… shes been around since my oldest was 6months old and around my other children their whole lives… both my oldest children ages 9 and 6 were there to say goodbye… she was their sister and wanted to be there for her when she passed… it was hard for them to leave the vets without her but it definitely gave them closure

1 Like

It depends on the child. I insisted and was a precious moment. Some kids can’t handle the trauma.

Of course!! He should be able to say goodbye to the family pet too.

Depends on the child’s level of maturity.

I would see where mind set of child is at becuase one day he will have to teach his kids about the circle of life too he will remember how u handle with his first … being at 8 is as young but each child is differnet. You no more if can handle it or not but he might feel sad if he can be their thou so def talk to him first

1 Like

Yes. But make sure they understand what is happening and why. If they are uncomfortable, though, don’t force them. At least let them say goodbye right before they start the process. There were a lot of animals in my childhood I didn’t get to say goodbye to, I still hate it

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should my child be around when my dog crosses the rainbow bridge? - Mamas Uncut

I say yes if it’s the family pet. Your child deserves to say their good byes too. Good time to teach about death if you haven’t had to do that already

1 Like

Yes should not hide life from your kids they learn from it but that is just me

I think it would be a good idea for them to be there

Don’t shelter your child. Let him see the harsh realities of life. Otherwise he won’t be prepared to face challenges as an adult. I work with a girl who was so sheltered as a child that she can’t even survive a simple mosquito bite. That’s the worst thing she’s ever witnessed in her life. Don’t let your son be like that.

1 Like

It’s part of life… Don’t hide it from them.

1 Like

Yes they should be there. they’ll understand what’s going on if you talk to them and let them know. Living and dying is a part of life, whether it’s human or animal… love will always show understanding and compassion.

1 Like

It’s best to expose them to that at a early age make it as some as possible for them

Yes. Its all the circle of life.

:green_heart::pray:

1 Like

I’m torn. I couldn’t see my pup when he died. I was gone for 20 minutes and my mom put him in the other room. I lost control and broke a window. I couldn’t bare to see him. It was too much. I can’t say whether a child could handle that.
I got a tattoo in his honor

We let our girls say goodbye at ages 4 & 6 when our first family pet passed on. It was a good way for them to understand & cope. Unfortunately death is a part of life, my husband & I had an outlook where we didn’t want to shelter them from it, rather use it as a learning experience. We also buried her on our property & let them help mark her spot & they sometimes will go and visit her :heart:

Yes … being able to say good bye and touching the dog as he or she goes helps … hiding death from children makes it worse not better.

1 Like

Definitely… help them deal with grief in the future and gives them a chance to say bye-bye :purple_heart:

I say yes from personal experience, it was more traumatizing to not be there then it was when I was.

If you are willing to give them a talk about whats going on first. I witnessed my dog being euthanized at a similar age and when I eventually figured out what happened I was traumatized, I would get night terrors and till today, I am now a Veterinary Science student, when I euthanized my dog last year I had to give myself “the talk” it never gets easier, but it will help your child understand life and its ways

My four year old was, she was also 7 when she sat with us as my grandfather passed, I think it’s good exposure and allows them to heal in a better way

It depends on the child. I don’t think you should hide it from them, but I know that emotionally I wasn’t able to handle watching it as a child. But every child is different

5 Likes

I say yes. It is confusing and painful not to be able to say goodbye.

1 Like

Have you never seen a Disney movie?

If they want to yes. My younger son wanted to but my older daughter didn’t. Everyone grieves differently :heart:

My kid was with me and our dog died in my arms. It was hard, but I am glad because now when her grandparents pass she will have a foreshadowing of death. I will always be grateful to Sammy for that amongst many other things

Yes, but explain to the child first whats going to happen. Fur baby will be going to heaven with all the other doggy friends. Its never easy so my heart goes out to you x

My 9 yr. old is pissed I did not include her last year, she still talks about it and says she should’ve been able to say goodbye to the dog who was in her life since she was born

Give your child the choice…8 is old enough to understand…

5 Likes

Yes! We had to lay our family pup down 2 years ago and him and my son was literally best friends.
I had my son with us and it hurt like no other but I felt he needed to be apart of it to say goodbye, and to learn about crossing that bridge.

I think is a great age to learn about death and that everything and everyone will someday cross the rainbow bridge, it won’t be so hard on them when they get older.

1 Like

Hard as it is to watch a child hurt or not understand allow them to experience realities of life . Can’t live under rocks and fear. It’s the circle of life.

1 Like

I would say explain to them what’s will happen and why and let them decide if they want to be or not and also let them know if they decide they want to but its too much they can leave the room if needs be. Death is a part of life and I think one of the reasons it can hit us so hard sometimes is because of how much we are sometimes sheltered from it.

1 Like

Yes, as long as they want to be there.

If you are sending it in a humane way, via a Vet, yes. If you are planning another way, then NO.