Should my dogs sleep in my room when baby comes?

Hi, I am looking for some advice? We have 2 GSD dogs who are like our children. They are so smart and clever and in such a routine of sleeping upstairs, whether on the floor in our room or outside the room with the dog open. They never cause an ounce of trouble. I am pregnant and trying to speak to my partner regarding new rules that need to start now about sleeping arrangements and how the dogs need to leave our room. But all I get is “it will be fine,” “they won’t do anything,” and I am starting to feel anxious now.

12 Likes

My doggos always did and never messed with baby

You said they was like your children…Would you do to your children…as in change their routine…it could make them feel unwanted.

9 Likes

My pets never sleep in the same room as my baby period

7 Likes

Ours always slept in our room. He now sleeps next to our child at night. He has became her protector and he takes a lot of crap from her and she’s only two.

7 Likes

Pets are harder to change routine with I think , your baby is sleeping in your room? Close your door if so or if baby is another room close thier door , baby monitor!! Video one so you can make sure baby is ok !

My dogs still sleep in my room they just have a dog bed on the floor with blankets

1 Like

My personal preference, but I wouldn’t. You never know if the dogs fur or something may bother the baby and I’ve had a incident also happen with my first born child but it was a cat. He always slept on my bed and once baby worse born he crawled on my babys face and slept on half of it. He could’ve smothered my baby so after that its a big nope for me with any pets because you just never know. If the pet has never been around babies, they may not understand everything just yet. It wasn’t the cats fault it happened because he never had a baby in his life until then.

2 Likes

We had 2 dogs before our baby whom slept with us at the foot of our bed or between us. Once he got home they themselves found it uncomfortable and left lol maybe your get the same outcome. My husband got annoyed with the dogs being in our room b4 I did. Them jumping up and down waking him up when he did sleep and barking if they heard something… perhaps you should try now to change the routine b4 your baby arrives

1 Like

Our dogs slept on the bed with our newborn. Zero issues. Stopp worrying momma. It will be fine

2 Likes

My dogs always slept in the room with me I feel like if u make them sleep somewhere else they will feel unwanted and possibly even dislike baby

3 Likes

It will be fine, your dogs will love that baby just like you, my dog slept in my bed no issues, and my daughter grew up loving that dog…

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t, baby’s need a clean healthy safe environment

1 Like

good sized dogs, I get it. I would put the dogs out of the room the first few weeks, then bring them back after everybody is comfortable.

My dogs have always slept in my room. Once our kids slept in there own beds they slept in there room

2 Likes

What exactly are you afraid of? The dogs are fine. They may even decide that they don’t like the noise and leave the room themselves. Or they could choose to sleep next to the crib/basinet and protect baby. I’m not sure what you’re so scared of happening?

2 Likes

My dogs have slept in my room around my son his whole life. I have pictures of all 3 of them sleeping on my bed together when my son was about 5 months old. I wouldnt leave baby unattended just in case but my dogs love my son like a sibling and vice versa

Unless baby is allergic I would keep doing it. I would want my baby and animals to be comfortable around each other as the grow up together.

1 Like

If you push your dogs out they may start acting out, I have 2 German shepherds and they’ve slept in our room with all 4 babies. They don’t even bother them at all. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about if they are that good of dogs.

1 Like

We have brought two babies home since we got our dogs (huskies) as puppies. We will be bringing another baby home in 4 weeks or so and they’ve always slept in our room with baby too for the first while. They sleep on our bed with us or on the floor, but we don’t co sleep so baby has always been in a crib or bassinet. That’s just what worked for us

Edit ** Dogs definitely can be unpredictable. Regardless of what anyone thinks, it happens. Do what you feel is best and what makes you most comfortable

These 2 became best friends :heartpulse: Kane was a big puppy when my son was born. And Kane just loves kids :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Me and husband dog and 7 month old all sleep in a king bed. No problem what’s so ever. Everybody has enough room. The only issue I would have is the hair. Since German shepherds shed. Although it’s gonna be in the house anyways. Maybe just take a few extra steps and brush them with a deshedding brush once a week. It’s not an issue for me because I have a pitbull. But cleanliness isn’t a problem. My dog is fairly clean lol. If cleanliness is what you’re worried about just take a few extra steps. Or since he’s the one that says “it will be fine” have him do it

Will bubs be sleeping in a cot or bassinet? I would be more concerned if you were co sleeping with bubs in your bed, then dogs being in the room. When my daughter was a few weeks old, I woke up just in time before her father rolled on her… she slept in her bassinet next to my bed after that.

Depends on the dogs and the baby. We had a dog (pit) that bonded to my youngest son as a baby and always alerted us before he would have seizures or a major medical crisis. We could not pry that dog away from his side when we were home. The day that dog passed was the saddest day of my son’s life! I had an Akita as a family pet when I had my oldest. He would sit on people’s feet (if he didnt trust them or know them well) when they would hold her as a baby so they could not get up with her. I have heard others that have horror stories though of dogs attacking babies.

1 Like

I have a GSD and she loves my kids and protects them. They will quickly know what the baby is and how much it means to you and will protect it.

Our dogs and cats both sleep in our room with baby in it and I don’t chase them off of the bed just cuz the baby is on the bed and this is our second child and we have had zero issues

My dog has watched over both my boys from birth i had her first she was my baby and didn’t want her to feel pushed out and that lead to jealousy. She sits by the cot and did with both in the moses basket too shed sleep next to them and if I got up to check on them she’d watch me until I settled again then she’d settle dogs can be amazing for babies. Both my sons ones 4 and ones 11month adore her and she adores them :heart:

1 Like

In the beginning I kept my Gsd out of the room, but then he slept on the floor, she’s in her own room with a stairgate now and he sleeps by it with the door open lol

What exactly are you concerned about? Our first dog was fine with our baby in the bedroom with us. The dog we have now had to start sleeping downstairs because he was waking us up so early and it was too hard with the new baby.

I wouldn’t worry before you know what behavior you’ll see. BUT if you want to keep the dog out of the room you need to transition them before the baby is born because a lot changes in their life, too, and they will be confused and may act out if you don’t. Try to give expectations to the dog.

Are you going to nurse? Pick a chair or couch where you can do that and make sure the dog knows they’re not allowed up in it. When you come home from hospital give the dog the baby’s hat so it can become familiar with the smell of your child. Make sure you can say ‘off’ or ‘down’ and get the dog to leave you be. That’s going to be very important once you have the baby. The dog won’t always be able to snuggle you when it wants to and it’s lower on the chain than the baby will be.

Nothing wrong with keeping the dogs out of your room if you’re uncomfortable. We did the same with ours. Outside during the day- weather permitting and inside the laundry at night. They weren’t happy but got used to it.

I would think you’d want to keep their routines as normal as possible. My dogs have always sleep in my bed over the years- the big ones and small ones.

R ur dogs well trained? Do u trust them? I completely trust my pitty with any child or baby but I had a small mixed breed that absolutely hated all children. It did not have 2 b provoked 2 attack. So I’d say it’s basically determined by ur dogs personality and tolerance. Not all dogs like kids.

I would do as little change as possible.

Bffs I wouldn’t worry about it

2 Likes

We had a gs and he always laid near her crib or next to her on her playmat. If she cried he would come tell us. I believe you create a problem if you change what you do. Dogs are sensitive, and by pushing them out rather than include can create jealousy and you may be more likely to have serious problems.

3 Likes

Because they already have a routine I wouldn’t change it just because there’s gunna be a baby soon. I had both my dogs in my bed/room even when my son was born the dogs will become the baby’s protector

1 Like

I would still keep them in the room but maybe not on the bed if you intend to co sleep with your baby. Honestly animals & small children shouldn’t be trusted 100% together.

1 Like

Animals should not be in any sleeping room with a baby. They should never be alone in any room with a baby also.

3 Likes

I have 2 male gsd that are fine with all 6 of our kids. If they’re not aggressive then they’ll be fine.

It’s a preference thing. Dogs aren’t allowed in my room period 🤷

1 Like

No dogs in my house
-period.And never around a baby.Know several cases where babies died because of dogs and cats

1 Like

Try a baby gate if you’re worried. Then they can still see you but can’t interfere.

If you’re co sleeping, don’t have the dogs in there. If baby is in a crib, you’ll be fine.

Nope!! Change that up ASAP! Dogs should never sleep in the same room as a baby or cats

Our dog sleeps in our room and so does the baby… what concerns you about it???

3 Likes

We have a boxer and pit/ boxer cross that sleep on floor in our room. They have been fine with my first 2 in the bassinet in our room so it will be same when our 3rd comes any week now.

If the baby is in crib or bassinet it is fine

Coming from someone that had owned a German Shepherd, they will be perfectly fine with infants! they are great when it comes to children. My white German Shepard protected the shit out of any child that came into the house and never harmed them.

If they sleep on the bed start training them to not be allowed. Baby will be protected in the crib. Even if your dog is friendly always be cautious with them around the baby. Its amazing how your dog will adjust to the new addition.

1 Like

Our fur-baby moved her sleeping spot to the foot of our daughter’s crib on her own. I would move her bed back to its normal spot and she would drag it back. We include her as much as possible to prevent jealousy issues between her and the baby & it’s worked out fabulously.

3 Likes

Our dog continued to sleep on our bed :woman_shrugging: If they’re not a problem before, I’m sure they’ll be fine now. If you’re worried, maybe try to have them stay on the opposite side of the bed from the bassinet. This way you can have a little peace of mind that they’re not right there.

Also judge it on how they act when they meet the baby. If our first dog had been any sort of negative when she met our son, I might have been more nervous with her near him too. But she was pretty chill about it so I never really worried (outside of not leaving the two alone just to be safe… Especially now at 15 months when he thinks both of our girls are toys :roll_eyes: Even though no one has even really growled at him, better safe than sorry haha).

Both of our dogs have been amazing with our baby since the day we brought him home and he’s almost two now. The dog we were worried about has been nothing but gentle and amazing with our son, he would sleep underneath the bassinet when he first came home.

My 2 fur babies r protected of my 3 grandbabies & l hav always hav a dog & wen l hav my grandson sleep at my house my 2 fur babies sleep on the bed between him & the door 2 protect him while he sleeps

1 Like

Of course. They aren’t going to be in the baby bed. Dogs and kids go together. Just make sure as your child ages they are not jumping on the dog, pulling ears or tails. Often the child is at fault, but the adults more so for not stopping bad behavior.

1 Like

We have a lab & a golden and both slept in our room when my daughter was born. My lab slept in our bed after my son.

The only reworking we did was teaching the dogs that they had to be “invited” onto furniture and didn’t have the free reign they had before. I haven’t had a single issue with it.

I had a dog that was not at all agressive. Had him since a puppy. When our daughter started crawling he began growling at her then bit her. He was always the sweetest dog and had been around other babies and children.

No dogs around baby whrn your not watching is a good rule!

1 Like

If they are never any problem and don’t sleep in the bed anyway, nothing needs to change.
Its when people start changing dogs routine as soon as baby comes, thats when problems start.

5 Likes

I think in this situation your anxiety might be causing you to over react. If they’re not in your bed and it sounds like they’re not I don’t see why they couldn’t still sleep in there.

5 Likes

My Gsd was amazing with both my babies. She would put her nose under the bumper and watch her sleep. Wouldn’t let anyone but my husband and I to leave the room with my babies. Seriously was a 4 legged baby sitter.
Just my experience, but best of luck with your transition. :heart:

3 Likes

Depends how they react to babies. My pitty is obsessed with his new baby sister. Just like any animal just don’t leave them alone with any children because accidents do happen.

5 Likes

If you’re feeling nervous about it there’s reason. Always trust your instincts. It’s unfortunate your partner doesn’t respect your instincts. They can save your child’s life. Go with your gut.

4 Likes

My gsd lab is great with my son, since the start. I wouldnt change routine with the dogs or that can cause jealousy, but new boundaries wouldnt hurt.

2 Likes

I would not change the routine your dogs are already in you adding more Kaos and stress

1 Like

I wouldn’t kick the dogs out when the baby comes. I think the dogs will associate being kicked out of the room and the new baby arrival together. The dogs and baby will be just fine together.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t change anything unless the dogs sleep directly in front of the doorway you will use to get to the baby. It won’t be long before they’re sleeping outside baby’s room, GSDs gravitate to children, seem aloof, but always aware.

2 Likes

My dog did but my son slept in his bassinet beside my bed

Honestly I kinda felt my dog out to see where she would sleep …she now sleeps in between the babys room and our room in the middle of the floor so she can hear us both …she is honestly all abt the baby and is such a little mother…she will come get me if baby cries …

4 Likes

I had my pitty and my rottie when my 1st grandson was born. Baby was in the bassinet and dogs always slept in my room with us. I never had any issues with either of my dogs, the only thing they ever wanted to do was just lay near the baby. My cats also like to snuggle in next to the kids. My 3 grandbabies are being raised around dogs and cats, and we’ve never thought of getting rid of any animals or changing how we live with them.

And don’t bother coming at me if you don’t like “bully breeds”, especially around children. My dogs have never harmed any of my grandkids and I’m also a responsible owner who has trained them and babies aren’t left alone with any of my pets.

3 Likes

My boy immediately took to my baby. He’s always been so respectful of the baby

1 Like

Set up the baby’s area and start teaching them it’s off limits.

Your dogs are going to be fine. Just make sure they know to be gentle don’t leave them out.

1 Like

Dont change the routine of your dogs, introduce them to your baby, they will be curious and if you treat them differently than you do now, they might become jealous of the baby. They have been your babies up until now. It’s just as big of an adjustment for them as it is for you.

3 Likes

Dogs thrive on routine. I think if you kick them out they will be confused. And you want them to bond with the baby. If anything I read give the dogs a blanket with the babies scent and play baby sounds before the baby comes

1 Like

Don’t upset the dogs bedtime routine unless you have to.

Some dogs become really protective of babies. Like if the baby cries they bark at you. Trust your instincts.

What about a baby gate at the door? So they can still see in and the door is open. But they can’t come in?

3 Likes

Why would you change what the dogs are used to? That is what will cause problems.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they will be fine. Your baby’s as you said need to be with the new baby, they will continue to need love also and not feel unwanted. Imo.

Do not kick the dogs out,that may cause some jealousy…make sure baby is in a safe and appropriate sleeping space and they will be just fine

1 Like

Putting them out could possibly cause resentment towards the baby because they’re gonna feel like they’re being punished or replaced.

I was told by my vet that if you’re able to bring home a blanket or an item of clothing the baby wore for your dogs to sniff helps with the adjustment of bringing a baby home. I have two GSDs too and they did just fine sleeping in our room with the baby in his bassinet next to the bed.

I have big dogs who sleep on the foot of my bed. My oldest two have lived with us while pregnant and after birth. Occasionally daughter and grandbaby have slept in bed with us (me n pups). My pups never messed with the babies. Now that grandbabies are older, 1,2,&4, they cuddle with grandbabies and are super protective of them. Most dogs have the intelligence of a toddler old and won’t understand why you’re treating then different and my become jealous if you do

Depends if the baby will be sleeping in the bed or not. I say for safety reasons if baby is in bed then dogs should sleep somewhere outside of the room. If baby will be in a crib then dogs in the room is fine.

I’ve a gsd and jack russell they sleep in their own beds in our bedroom ( well jack russell likes to sleep with us ) :joy:, I’m having a baby anytime soon, don’t push them out it will be wierd for them too having a new baby around the house am sure they will grow up to be best friends :relaxed:

1 Like

Why would they need to be out of the room? Off the bed, sure but why out of the room?

3 Likes

Kicking them out is just going to cause problems. Our German Shepard’s guard all 3 of our kids and have since they were born. There’s no point in locking them out of a room

Pushing them out of the room completely, my make them harbor unnecessary jealousy for baby.

The only rule we changed was them sleeping on the bed. But also I NEVER left him in a room alone with the dogs. Either the dogs or the baby came with me

1 Like

Why would you make them leave the room? You do not say they sleep in the bed and you did not say the baby is going to sleep with you. There is no reason for the dogs to be banished from the room. Just don’t leave the baby alone with the dogs.

3 Likes

I personally don’t see why they shouldn’t. Aren’t they a part of the family too?

2 Likes

Those doggos will probably protect that baby more than you are expecting. Embrace it. I wouldn’t leave them alone with baby—but let them sleep in the room. It’s okay momma :heart: our pitty mix is the most gentle and patient with my boys. She sleeps in their room with them now. It will be okay :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alienating your dogs because of your new baby can actually do more harm than good honestly as long as they aren’t sleeping in beds and are on the floor it isn’t a problem

4 Likes

With my son my boxer slept in our room at the end of the cot, always guarding and protecting him. Sadly she had to go to sleep when my son was 2 due to a tumour. When I was before the birth of my daughter we got an American bulldog who likes to sleep across my feet. If I was feeding in the bed or occasionally co sleeping the doggo relocated to the floor or went to get comfy on the sofa. Kids not left alone. Kids taught to respect the dog, dog taught how to behave around the kids and supervision. Xx

1 Like

If it’s giving you anxiety then don’t have them in the room. Being a FTM is stressful enough so make things as easy for yourself as possible. If you do let them stay in the room just don’t leave them unsupervised - everytime you leave the room either the baby or the dogs come with you

We kennel our German Shepard and pit bull in our bedrooms at night. They wouldn’t want to be away from us but we don’t want them in bed with the baby either. (We cosleep)

I had my baby in a bassinet or bed and a dog in the bed with no problems. Dog was always at the foot of the bed and when we moved the baby to the crib the dog would sleep by the crib. It started an amazing bond. Depends on the dog and the baby.

My dogs always slept in my room I always introduced them to a new baby and let them smell honestly I didn’t change anything one even use to sleep under my child’s bassinet as bub got older those 2 were inseparable

1 Like

I think sleeping in the room would be just fine. I never banished mine, just never left them alone. Otherwise, part of the family :heart_eyes:

I feel like my gsd would be a nervous wreck if she didn’t sleep close to my baby. She loves her kids

Find a few articles to share with him on why it’s not safe to have them on the bed when baby is in bed. They can be the most perfect dogs but they won’t ever truly understand the fragile state a baby is in and can end up sitting on and suffocating them. It’s happened before. I showed my husband articles and had a few other people talk to him, especially in regards to letting our dog lick our sons face or hands. Dogs mouths are highly unsanitary and a baby does not have an immune system their first 3 months of life.