Should my ex have to help with school supplies?

Needing some major advice…i have two kids with my ex and he only pays $300 a month in child support…which is fine i have my own job and get things taken care of myself…but i am needing help buying them school clothes and supplies as my hours were cut at work…i texted him to ask if he could help out and his new baby mama texted me back stating this is why i get child support and i need to plan better bc i am not getting anymore money from him…and i am LIVID…is it just me or is this something he should be helping with and she should not have an opinion on?

185 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should my ex have to help with school supplies?

Why haven’t you bought them stuff throughout the year while it was on sale? That 300$ can easily go a long way.

27 Likes

if thats what you want modify your agreement. i agreed to lower support if he helps woth school proms, clothes and other needs throughout the year

5 Likes

Yes he should $300 for two kids isn’t shit

She should stay in her own lane bc she doesn’t want to be a stepmother clearly or she’d be trying to help & work with you and him for THEM.

32 Likes

I’d take him back to court

8 Likes

If i answer what i would do with his baby momma i will go to fb jail … lol.

10 Likes

Bm needs to stay out of it. Your hours was the same when cs was set. Any real man would help.

7 Likes

$300 a month for two kids isn’t much. Go raise it :grimacing:

1 Like

Child support is a reimbursement for the month before that you spent on the children as in food clothes gas lights water . You are not expected to save that to spend when they need something it is used monthly on top of what you spend on the kids .

4 Likes

$300 is plenty.

Edit: I didn’t realize this was for two kids. You can STFU now !

7 Likes

I will be picking stuff up doing the year that’s what I would be doing

1 Like

My ex was ordered child support and half of all school and sport stuff

7 Likes

Make it totally legal. Get court ordered larger payments. Simple!! Leave her out of it.

9 Likes

300 ain’t shit for two kids. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

It depends on what your divorce agreement says.

No he is deinitley required to pay 50 percent of all daycare extra curricular etc etc. but you would have to go get it done

I wish I got 300 bucks for 2 kids.

5 Likes

Hi gf needs to mind her business and stay in her lane. He should help. Tell him he can help or you can have a support adjustment since your hours were cut. $300 for 2 kids& barely buys groceries.

32 Likes

If they cut your hours, call your case worker, have it adjusted.

4 Likes

What’s in your parenting plan? Ours specifically states he pays for half. That I need to provide receipts. And my ex is ordered to pay child support as well. We share all costs 50/50 for any extra activities, school related, and medical expenses.
But he has always helped with anything I ask.

6 Likes

Save all receipts. Tell him you will take pictures of all receipts and split it. Ask him to please pay his half of supplies within 2 weeks.

1 Like

Yeah u could’ve planned better but I’m assuming u didn’t know ur hours would be cut at work, so at the very least he could bring u some school supplies. My advice would be, since he’s probably not going to be help to u, is check out local churches and see if any of them have school supplies. Alot of churches are doing back to school stuff for the community and may be able to help.

2 Likes

Fuck him and her and modify the order. $300 for 2 kids ain’t shit. I hope she’s on this page too

It’s supposed to be in your agreement who pays what. We had it down to splitting everything. If you just have child support in your agreement then that 300 is his contribution.

2 Likes

In our divorce school is 50/50. I buy the supplies. He pays me half back. School clothes we both have a set amount to pay. He pays me his half and I have to show him receipts for what I bought with my half and his.

Check section 7 of your order , most of the time they pay a child support MINIMUM, and under section 7 is all extra things , soccer clubs dentistry and so on. I’m sure if you did end up buying it yourself you can submit the receipt for back pay.

2 Likes

He should def be helping out more given the situation… Those are his babies too. She needs to shut her trap

8 Likes

No but it would be nice if he did…

Go to court and explain whats going 3, and have it put in the court order

1 Like

Yea she’s dumb and so it he. Petition the courts to include school expenses and that he pay half and if he doesn’t just ask that it be added to his child support upon showing the courts receipts. Know people who have done it

2 Likes

Check to see if there are any local organizations in your area. A lot of them hold back to school events, some even give vouchers. Get on local swap and shops.

1 Like

Lol she’s not right and she should be supportive. My ex always chips in for things like that and I get a little more than you for one child.

2 Likes

If he is paying child support that is all he is financially obligated to do. But as a father he should he out with whatever his child need.

$300 for two kids? That is insane unless he’s got 50-50. Back to court you go. Medical and school stuff should be 50-50. 

7 Likes

Really? He needs to understand child support or not those are still his children if he doesn’t help them his children are struggling not you HIS children also 300 dollars for 2 kids ain’t shit especially when food alone is 150 a week

1 Like

I mean she’s not wrong, that’s what the child support is for. To support support child… he shouldn’t be made to pay more because your hours were cut, I mean he’s gotta live to don’t he?

10 Likes

He should be happy to help :woman_shrugging:t2: my opinion

3 Likes

Most definitely if not he’s a pos

1 Like

Child support covers that so if he wants to be an ass about it and say that’s what Child support is for then that’s his choice. But 300 a month for 2 kids isn’t much. Maybe he doesn’t make much and that’s why it’s low, idk. But my sons dad has helped out outside of Child support but this year wants to be an ass about it. Which is whatever because he does pay his child support but that extra help does help out. His gf is a total bitch for sure that seems jealous and is taking it out on the kids.

Maybe get new agreement stating child support plus 50/50 in ALL school related matters

6 Likes

You are not wrong at all and communication should be between him & you. She has no business telling you what to do. He most certainly should be helping you buy school clothes and supplies!

5 Likes

He needs to help out.

IF you have your children the majority of the time…
Should a parent help with supplies? Yes. Especially when paying the absolute bare minimum cs.
Is he required to? Refer to your custody/visitation/cs agreement. And if all else fails you know what to ask to be added in court the next time you go!

5 Likes
  1. Girlfriend needs to mind her own business
  2. Yes, he absolutely should help, because that’s the decent thing to do.
  3. Unfortunately, if it’s not in your court documents he dont have to.
  4. Take him back to court have your order revised for him to pay half of the bill for school clothes and supplies.
2 Likes

He should be nice about it and help out. If it’s $300 for both, that’s definitely not enough. As for baby momma, she should not add her opinion since it’s about his daughters.
I think we all know, he probably won’t help because she won’t allow it.

6 Likes

Well she is right but he should be willing to help speak to him yourself

1 Like

Wow dad’s like that suck

One of my exs bought all of our daughters school stuff and the other child’s grandma on her hands side bought what I couldn’t afford

I think this is no different than a medical bill that would be split that is separate from your monthly child support! He should split back to school costs!

100% he should help you…things are expensive. Go have child support modified since your hours were cut

You’re not in the wrong.

First his girlfriend or whatever she is had no business answering you. Second, if he was any kind of a man & father he would help without you asking. Glad he is your ex

10 Likes

Legally he is not required too but as a parent he should want to help out. I would talk with him privately when his new woman wasn’t around and discuss it. You vould always go back to court to try to increase the child support if you are now making less and/or if he’s making more.

13 Likes

What does your court papers say? If they don’t include paying 50/50 on kids extracurricular activities, school supplies and fees, etc, you’re out of luck. Can’t count on every father to be a decent one.

Take him back to court that ain’t enough money for 2 kids

3 Likes

I would go back to court especially since your income has changed since the last agreement was set. Also I would call your ex to arrange a time to talk privately away from the baby mama. He had kids qith you and they are still his responsibility. Also the money monthly is for everyday needs monthly that the kids need like food, shelter, clothing and basic utilities and school supplies has not been calculated in that amount. Time to talk with him and if he can’t be civil and come to an agreement then back to court

1 Like

Yes. He should want to. $150/month per child seems low. Ask if she could support herself and child on $300 a month—not really. Talk to him

1 Like

My ex is required to pay child support AND pay half of kids essentials including school supplies. He does neither but still it was court ordered. Look at your custody agreement and see if it’s in there.

1 Like

$300 a month for two children is pathetic! We pay $400 a month for 1 my bonus boy and help his momma and step dad whenever they ask for something. This year we did all his school supplies. Sometimes he needs socks or underwear or snow pants… etc…. He gets what he needs! It isn’t about money. It is about our boys needs and one way or the other they are met. The four of us make it happen! :woman_shrugging:t3:

11 Likes

While they should help…when I went through my divorce the judge stated that is what the support was for and I could not get more money or help.

2 Likes

He should def be helping you and she should keep her big head out of it

12 Likes

if its not in the custody agreement then there is nothing you can do.

He should help but isn’t obligated to unfortunately. My fiancé pays 250 a week for one child and we still help with clothes, sports extra curricular. Maybe try talking to him personally

1 Like

If Autumn or Clarity had an extra expense I would expect Skyler pays half but I wouldn’t rely on it that’s what side hustles and sugar daddy’s are for

1 Like

300 a month for 2 children in today’s world does not buy much so shame on him! Take him back to court and hope his baby mama don’t end up in your shoes some day as well

4 Likes

Current baby momma needs to stay in her lane. It’s NEVER her place to say when he gives money to his other children. If he isn’t willing to help out from time to time more than required by courts, I would be upset as well. In the meantime, reach out to your local community and see if there are any school supply drives that can help.

9 Likes

My ex paid 500$ for 1 child! And was ordered to pay half of school stuff, clothes, sports, ect. Take him back to court and get it revised but be aware that if he’s making less at his job now than he was before then they’ll lower your CS! My ex wasn’t petty but his new wife was a monster! Good Luck!

He should always want to help with his children’s education. My ex pays child support and still helps if needed. She shouldn’t be apart of it.

4 Likes

No your not wrong. He is wrong for allowing his girlfriend to speak for him. If he were a decent human being and a caring dad. He would want to ensure his children’s needs are met. Since he is choosing not to do the right thing. Go back to court and have child support adjusted. Best wishes. Much peace and love ☆

When the shoe is turned and she has to live like that I bet she will be more understanding. And won’t say a word… smh at women like her

Child support is for the child’s BASIC DAILY NEEDS. Food, water, electricity, shampoo ETC MONTHLY when it comes down to it

child support does NOT FACTOR THE EXTRAS so yes ANY parent should be willing to go HALF

But I mean decency has gone out the window

6 Likes

His gf/wife has zero say in what he does for his kids. Talk to HIM about HIS kids. Yes, he should help. But 300 a month is the typical amount for two kids. Here anyways. That’s supposed to be used for helping to pay for food, clothes and supplies within the month.
I’d ask for an extra $100 that way it can buy some cheap shoes for his kids at least but… don’t expect much.

2 Likes

Child support? What’s that? :joy:

3 Likes

Girl…I’m in the same boat. He should definitely pay half. Child support is just for the basics and 300$ barely covers food. It’s none of his girlfriends business. After 11 years I have learned it’s not worth the fight, and I just take care of everything myself. A real man would stand up and do the right thing. Good luck

7 Likes

First it’s not her place to be involved. Second child support goes by what both parents make so I would tell him he can either help with the supplies or you can take him back to court and have the amount reevaluated due to your hours being cut.

12 Likes

If it’s not in the agreement, he’s not legally required to. If there’s not a great co-parenting relationship between you guys, he likely won’t. You might need to get the order amended. In the meantime, I’d see if there are any churches/businesses doing the backpack, school supplies help

Your only recourse would be to take him back to court and try to up the CS amount

2 Likes

They both should be willing to help… how annoying & inconsiderate. I’ve never been divorced or in a relationship like this but I can’t imagine never supporting my children or significant other’s children when needed.

1 Like

go back to court and add special expenses and have his support amount looked at and adjusted ask that he provide his tax info

5 Likes

Most of the comments on here are so inadequate, so many factors, visitation, who makes the most money, who gets the tax deduction, did you go to court, or is this just your agreement. Who carries medical insurance, are you on state insurance, do you get any assistance?

1 Like

I agree with his new gf tbh

9 Likes

Contact your lawyer. Maybe there’s something he or she can suggest for options available to you.

2 Likes

If the court doesn’t stipulated differently he is not obligated to do it , some people has to go half for school expenses, vacations and medical besides the child support monthly payment.

Morally he should help because they are his daughters as well , I do not understand how a woman can be the way his new wife is, as a mom I will make sure that my partner is helping out with the school supplies regardless of what he pays for support .

You can always go to the court with the receipts and see they can do

2 Likes

My daughter’s dad was never in her life. And I barely received enough child support to cover even her school lunches… but I worked my butt off to provide. I watched sales /clearance and would put things back. Buy a little bit of supplies at a time throughout summer, usually would start before summer. So it didn’t seem like so much all at once… hopefully that helps… I do the same with Christmas, birthdays, etc… put back when things are on sale.

I got an ex husband like that too, we have 5 kids together :grimacing:

3 Likes

If u send in how much u make and all the expensive the judge can order him to pay expecially for 2. My x husband pays 525.00 for 1

3 Likes

Unless there is legal documents stating he is responsible for half then yes he should be. Unfortunately he isn’t obligated to otherwise and if he does it’s considered a gift and nothing more. There’s nothing you can do. Would it be nice if they would or could help more themselves, yes. But it’s not foe you to judge either especially if he’s paying his child support. I had 3 children with my ex and don’t even get that month. Some times the schools help with supplies. And there may be some clothing closets in your area. I’d look into resources you have in your area. Churches, places people would donate to.

3 Likes

Read your papers. If it’s in there it’s covered if not it’s CS.

Of course he should help.

1 Like

My husband bought school clothes and supplies and many more things for his son from a previous marriage. He paid for medical bills and paid over 3x that much in child support. It’s his kid and $300 a month isn’t much to cover the cost of raising a child. I would say as kindly as I can that he should. It’s sucks sometimes being in a blended family, but it’s what you signed up for.

Take him back to court. Not sure why she is responding for him but she sounds toxic af. I’d express the need for going half on school supplies again and if he doesn’t respond or she does, just take it to court.

4 Likes

Child support should be used for these specific things.
I think you really need to sit down and work out your expenses vs income. My ex pays nothing ive got six kids 3 grown up out of home now 3 home still we manage.
You can ask and take it back to court.

2 Likes

I’m mean technically he is not obligated to but would be nice

Should? Yes? Obligated? Depends on your documentation. Stay at Home Moms :fire:

She gets ZERO opinion when it comes to HIS kids! My partner pays 800 a fortnight for 2 kids coz the mother is good at lying and scamming the system. Maybe get an order to say he HAS to help then she can talk all she wants but he’s still gotta do it.

Meddling baby mama’s :sleeping:

300 a month, divided by 30 days, divided by 2 kids.

1 Like

Depending on your income you might qualify for clothing vouchers for school clothes.

300 is cheap for 2 kids I’d go back and ask for more … that’s $150 a month per child. Nothing.

5 Likes

Of course he should even if he’s paying support. That’s extra expenses towards the child he should at least help with half.

3 Likes