Should my husband push for paid leave?

Push for it! Stop letting these companies get away with doing the bare minimum! If they’re supposed to pay make them pay!

2 Likes

I didnt get paid leave for any of my kids and Im the one that physically pushed a baby out. Jobs aren’t required to give women leave let alone men.

Through EDD he can obtain up to 6 weeks of “paid” (probably a portion) parental leave. This isn’t through the employer, and separate from any other bonding time/company maternity leave.

As for your little lawsuit as proof, that’s not a law. That’s just a lawsuit between eeoc and estee launder. If you want him to get paid paternity leave as much as your asking, you’ll probably have to file your own lawsuit. I don’t think your husband or you “demanding” for it (being a Karen) is gonna work.

You can try, but it’s highly unlikely. My boyfriend had a little over a week of pto and then one of his higher ups (friend of mine and his big boss) gave him a few of her PTO days so he could have a full 2 weeks :confused: it sucks and I really wish they would take dad’s into consideration, but unfortunately most places don’t.

Bs… that’s not being a Karen… Karen told you that…

Companies are allowed to have whatever policies they want, even if it seems wrong.

Push for it. People are quick to say Karen but the truth is if it’s good for one it’s good for all. Postpartum we need the assistance. I had baby 2 monthsago and my husband stayed home for 2 weeks and after 2 weeks of him being back out at work I was passes out on the floor of our bedroom and my older kids had to call him. Push for it and ignore all the others who say anything but.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, unless you have a union shop, you can’t really accomplish much in most companies. They are free to do pretty much what they want to. They can fire you if they don’t like how your hair is parted if they can come up with some silly excuse. I wish all companies would give fathers family leave, but I guess they aren’t in it for their employees. If you can, have him take some personal time and enjoy your new baby. Cherish the weekends. Good luck to you and yours.

Push for paid leave!

In UK dad had 2 weeks paid paternity leave. Anymore and I may have k! lled him off lol

1 Like

As much as I would like to say pushrod the paid leave, it’s unlikely that if you were to pursue it legally that it would benefit you in a timely manner. Here in NJ we have paid Family Leave which offers 6 weeks paid leave as bonding time for parents. Working mothers here generally qualify for 10-12 weeks paid through Temporary disability and then an additional 6 weeks paid through Family Leave Insurance. That became available right after my oldest was born in 2009. With both kids my husband took two weeks after they were born and then took the remaining weeks intermittently throughout the 1st year of our children’s lives. All the people saying that men shouldn’t need to take leave are living in a reality that expects women to take on everything. Having some time to help care for their newborn and helping their wives be able to recover makes for happier and healthier families and has proven time and time again to be beneficial

2 Likes

Push for it. Parental leave is essential for both parties. Obviously the partner giving birth needs it for a variety of reasons, but both parents deserve to have the time off and not have to be concerned about finances. If it’s possibility, I say push for it!

3 Likes

You can “push” anything you want but the likelihood of them granting it is almost none.

5 Likes

Dont get us Karens involved in this mess please :skull:

6 Likes

We get 3 mths paid vacation leave in my country but I think Paternity leave is only 3 days. I say he can ask (not demand) about it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What state are you in? I would narrow down your information finding to your state , you may get better info

1 Like

Alicia Ashenfelter it’s not company policy for 8 weeks off :joy::joy::joy:. She’s upset that the women get maternity leave (like 99.7% of companies allow ) but men don’t get MAternity leave. He has to use his vacation time… Again like most companies do.

3 Likes

It would be great, but those resources don’t exist.

1 Like

This is completely legal for the company to do. They do not have to offer any paid maternity leave at all. Based upon the 8 weeks you have referenced I would say that is 8 weeks of paid disability. Meaning they pay for the time the women is deemed disabled during recovery. Not for bonding time. I am an HR Manager for all over the US. Depending on what state you live in he might qualify for a state level job protected leave in addition to FMLA, if he meets service and hours requirements. However, those are non paid job protected leaves.

7 Likes

I’d push for it. Your not a karen for wanting your husband to be off to spend time with your new baby.

1 Like

All of you saying push for it… Are you going to pay their bills when he’s pushed out of work for fighting for a nonexistent policy? If you take the time to read she is mad that only the ladies get maternity leave. That is how it is here in the United States. And maternity leave only promises they won’t fill your job for 6-8 weeks. If you need more time than that you probably won’t have a job to go back to. So fighting for it won’t accomplish much other than most likely losing a job.

6 Likes

Try to go for it! Parental leave is for this exact purpose. Either that of FMLA. This is his child, too.

Men only need 2 weeks tops while the women adjust and heal. Let’s not take advantage now.

6 Likes

Even maternity leave for women isn’t paid, you use vacation/sick time then you’re unpaid the remainder of the time.

5 Likes

Depends - my son got 3 months paid off for paternity leave but didn’t take but 3 weeks. If his job is secure then do it !

l get pald over $ 130 per hour w0rking from h0me. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 16823 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dailyjobs83.wixsite.com/my-site

1 Like

The US is the fucking worst for parents.

Push for it! They will either grant it or not.

I would be careful they are some places that could make it hard on your husband or could possibly find a way to let him go I
Ve heard of this done before wish you luck

5 Likes

You could try but at 2 weeks before due date there might not be much time to get anything done.
My hubby had 3 months of parental with me and I had 3 months maternity and took 6 months parental for a total of 12 months off between the two of us. But in Canada you can qualify for EI for “paid parental” and you can now get up to 18 months between the two parents but 3 months are for maternity but it depends on how much parental leave you’re taking between the two of you.

1 Like

Men and women both deserve to be able to bond with their baby the first few weeks without fear of bills not being able to be paid.

7 Likes

Let him stay home and enjoy time with his child. Lost money can be made back. U can’t get lost time with your child back

1 Like

I never got paid maternity leave. I worked over time up til the day I went into labor and gave birth so I could go on leave, then had to go back at 4 weeks postpartum (Dr said it was ok) because I couldn’t afford to stay out the last 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Push for it to help others, as well as yourselves

3 Likes

It depends on the state you are in. And it depends on what state that case took place in. Unless there’s a SC ruling, it may not work where you are.
Companies are private businesses and can do as they please. If he’s bothered by it, he needs to speak to a labor lawyer and work to change the policies. Pushing could get him skipped over for promotions or fired, depending on the state.
It really helps of y’all know the state laws bc one case in one state doesn’t automatically equate to another state.

1 Like

Not sure what state ur in, but in maryland the last is that it’s up to each company on if they provide paid leave. By law they have to give 6 months unpaid for any new parent, weather is the birth of a bio kid, adoption or taking guardianship of another child

A woman has to heal from childbirth. Men should get time but often don’t.

Push for paid leave.

Some states, it is the state that pays the women (small amount out of check each paycheck) and in that case it isnt the employer paying it. Employers doing a sponsored pay can choose who all they pay. it isnt illegal for them to pay a woman and not a man.

I wouldn’t push for paternity leave

I wish we were like other countries that do paid maternity leave for men as well as the women but we unfortunately don’t and all have to suffer from it one way or another. :unamused:

Def talk to an attorney about it.

1 Like

Push. Dads are just as important as moms.

2 Likes

Drop it. every state is different. Plus the number of employment effects this. So it’s definitely not illegal for companies to do this. Why would you jeopardize his job.

1 Like

You are not being a Karen! They’re breaking the law!! Your husband deserves that bonding time too!

2 Likes

I would have him contact the hr department to verify is maternity leave… if it’s not paid then he should use pro vacation sick or whatever is applicable to say home with you

I would say just have him take off the first few days and go back to work.

Yes get what he is entitled to

Women get paid leave because we’re pushing the baby out and although it seems unfair I don’t think it’s illegal? It should vary from state to state. Luckily we live in Canada and we can choose up to 69 ( extended parental leave ) weeks of paid leave at about 350 a week or 40 weeks at 600 a week. But this is a government paid program for parents. Not an employer program.

Push for paid leave.

1 Like

Push for it! This mentality of just leave it alone will get our world no where

4 Likes

Push for the paid leave. I just quit my job because they gave a bonus for everyone working through the pandemic but not to employees who are at a sub status. If they are not going to show that they want you around then why put the effort in staying around.

2 Likes

I never got maternity pay and I’ve had 4 kids.

2 Likes

Although father bonding time is just as important…… women had to fight for this because we were entitled to nothing before.

3 Likes

Some companies it’s just leave, no pay. He has to see what his company does. Or if he has some kind of short-term disability coverage

1 Like

My hubby got four months paid time off after our last kid was born. Things went wrong, our kid had a NICU stay. We have two other kids and no family to offer much help. He was absolutely needed at home. I’d ask for it.

This isn’t illegal…in fact it’s above standard for most. I wasn’t paid for the eight weeks I was on maternity leave and a single mom so ya. My employer worked with me and held my position so I had a job to come back to. He can file for FMLA, but it’s unpaid and if he takes eight weeks unpaid then there’s only four weeks left to use until the first day of the leave of the following year (he started using it may first of this year, used eight weeks, he’d only have four more weeks to use until May second of next year) if I remember correctly.

1 Like

The baby doesn’t need two parents home full time. Have him take a couple days but doesn’t need more than that. Many other fathers don’t/didn’t get paid leave.

3 Likes

I’d be glad he gets time off tbh. My husband had to go back within days if having twins one in the nicu and one passed away.

3 Likes

If I have to take off for one of my kids illnesses, it’s UNPAID family leave. If I have to take off for surgery for myself, I’ll receive short term disability. Fmla and short term disability are NOT the same thing. One gives me time off to take care of my sick family member, the other will pay me 60% of my wages because I’m medically unable to work. The women at his work are getting disability pay.

1 Like

He can for fmla and get 65% pay. He won’t get a whole check he’s used to through fmla. Unless he has pto / vacation days. They had my kids dad use his pto first than paid some of his check.

1 Like

Honestly, most places don’t even offer paid leave for WOMEN who physically give birth. And the places that do offer paid leave for women, women had to fight for it so that they could recover from giving birth. And you’re going to throw a tantrum when your husbands body doesn’t have to recover?! Y’all are going to ruin womens paid leave at the companies that are currently offering it. And just because one person sued and won doesn’t mean your husband would. Paid postpartum leave is so women can physically heal and get healthy and return to work. Which obviously men do not absolutely need. Women however do absolutely need time to let their bodies heal and recover. Don’t be the asshole that makes that company canceled paid leave for women. Because that’s exactly what you’re going to do. Legally they don’t owe you or your husband anything.

I don’t see why it would hurt to try for it…I wouldn’t push any limits…but it’s worth a civil try

1 Like

They should offer something for dads as well.

Jobs aren’t required to have paid leave. Just time off. For women too.

1 Like

For our first daughter (my second) he stayed 2 days in the hospital. For our son being born i was induced on a Saturday had him that day and discharged sunday evening. He was going to go back to work monday but all the females and amish girls told him he needed to stay with me at least monday. So he did. My man makes over 60 an hour and at that point i didnt blame him for wanting to go to work. If i had had a c section that would have been different. But i was fine with it.

The ignorance in these comments are astounding lmfao

1 Like

The paid leave is if he is staying home with baby as paternity leave instead of maternity leave…. Not to stay home and be with you and baby

1 Like

My company only pays 50% so most moms and dads here come back after a few weeks or asap.

It doesn’t hurt to ask. But I wouldn’t push it too much. By the time he gets back his position can be replaced. If you know what I mean. They can just blame it on being short staffed and they had to do what they had to do.

2 Likes

Push for that leave! It doesn’t make you a Karen. Dad’s deserve time too. Your family deserves time with the new little and you will need the help. You need new friends.

1 Like

Push for the paid leave. Pushing for paternity leave with pay promise to you in not a Karen thing at all.

1 Like

If you have the means to push it, and can deal with hubby possibly being fired later and having to get a different job, then do it! I’m sure it’ll bring changes.

2 Likes

Be prepared to have to pay for a lawyer

1 Like

Medical leave is usually up to the employer if you went more time etc. FMLA covers a lot HOWEVER -you aren’t married, you can’t afford it, sounds like you done need the help , ( medically) paid leave is only for the one medically needing it and usually is only a certain amount of time. Years ago I used my vacation for my maternity leave for first child and took of 2 months unpaid ( I got to keep my job) for my second child. Woman still get the worst maternity leave in the USA , many other countries have paid leave for women. Now your worried about the father of your child getting time off AND you want him to be paid ?? Does he have vacation time ?? Employers can require all sick time, vacation time be used before they’ll pay for a medical leave… for him it’s not medical leave … he new he was having a baby , what de he use his vacation time for ???

That’s not being a Karen

I don’t think you’re being a Karen. I’ve never worked for any company that paid leave but if I did I’d fight for anything I could.

Your friend is annoying and clearly has not had kids. You’re not being a Karen I would take what he’s supposed to be given

1 Like

A family member did something very similar.
He won the suit and lost his job. They did away with his position and it was completely legal.
You may win the battle but lose the war.
It’s not right but it happens.

2 Likes

I would have him ask, but not be too pushy about it.

If his work policy says he gets paid paternity leave then fight it, if there is no policy for it I doubt it’ll go anywhere.

2 Likes

Have you actually spoken to an attorney?

1 Like

Literally had a progressive claims rep tell me he was going on paternity leave. It isn’t being a Karen. Its having someone to help you get through having a baby and allowing the dad time to bond with his kid and help you.

Hubby got 2 weeks Parental from Government & used 2 weeks Holiday pay after for a total of a month off. Parental leave is only min wage, so one pay run we were down about $800, but worth it if we think of it as $200 a week less for the month so he could stay home & enjoy Baby. I’d 100% be a Karen in your situation.

can you afford it if he loses his job I wouldn’t push it and if you were so concerned why wait until 2 weeks before and not find out about it at the beginning of the pregnancy.

2 Likes

what does the employee handbook say if it doesn’t offer it then he isn’t going to get it. and why wait so close to the due date smh.

1 Like

If that’s all they offer, you should plan accordingly. What gives you any right to try to attempt to change their current policy? He should take his vacation/sick time for a week or two and go back to work like a normal person. I agree with your friend, Karen.

3 Likes

Maternity leave is for the mother to heal/recover medically post birth. Paternity leave is something totally separate and my job offers it but a lot do not. He could file for FMLA to care for you or the baby but it’s only to secure his position and isn’t usually paid unless he has paid sick time saved up or could use vacation time

5 Likes

Let’s drop this Karen nonsense. It is wo.an’s name. Let it be.

There’s a lot of stuff companies do that is not legal, unfortunately if you push he might not have a job. You might have to lawyer up to get this.

This is why I’m so glad I live where I do. Dad’s get paid parental leave in my country

1 Like

Maternity leave is for the mother to heal and recover… be grateful he is allowed time off… that being said, sounds like an amazing maternity benefit

1 Like

Always push for what you NEED for your family. The first few weeks are for bonding and getting into a new Routine with baby

You should push for the money. The are breaking the law.

I’m glad my husband had time off, he had I think 2-3 weeks he was in the military. It was great. I think more should do this because, yes your healing you feel horrible and he’s there to help with the baby, and such. It’s sad we don’t do it here.

Wow my husband company gave him 8 weeks of paternity leave. He took 7 after birth and keep a week and then baby needed surgery at 3 months old and they let him use rest. All paid.

I’d push it. Screw your friend. Not only does your baby need that time with dad too you need that extra help.

I don’t think you’re a Karen. But someone needs to make money. So let him take his PTO and go back to work

Wow CA offers 12 weeks paid leave for dad as well as mom. Must be one of those states that don’t really care about their citizens… It is really sad how so many people will except what their state gives them and not fight for more. Sadly so many vote against their own interests. Father’s deserve the same time to bond with their child as well as the mother.

1 Like

If you can’t afford him missing work, you can’t afford an attorney and for him to lose his job. Let. It. Go. You should have planned accordingly, not wait until 2 weeks before your due date and try to find a loop hole.

6 Likes

Your definitely not a Karen and it’s super unfair and unfortunate that there’s this double standard. My husband’s work offers 12 weeks off but it’s unpaid so I’ve been in your shoes. You can push for it but I don’t think you would win unfortunately. Companies have a way around these things. Good luck mama!