Should teens pay parents gas money?

I think it depends on the situations. Both of my kids are wanting jobs and neither drives we told them they could apply for jobs in our town or next town over. When they wanted to apply for Chick-fil-A at the mall (25 minutes each way) vs McDonald’s a mile away from our house, we told them they would have to pay us gas $. It’s not so much about the money but the thought process of that’s basically 2 hours of our day to drive them there and come home then drive back to pick them up and home again, and proving that point to them I guess?

2 Likes

The only time I ever made mine pay for gas was if they were taking the car by themselves to hang out with friends. I looked at is as if they had their own car they would have to pay to put gas in it. It teaches them a little responsibility and prepares them for when they have their own vehicle.

Yes but instead of using the money for gas put it up and keep saving their money until they have enough to get themselves a car with their hard earned money.

1 Like

Here is a different perspective or idea then I see in most of these responses.

We had all of ours pay for gas when we drove them. We figured out what it cost round trip approximately, and they paid us when they got their paychecks for how many days they worked. So yes.

Here’s the catch. We saved it all. We have only had one that has graduated, two are still in high school. But our daughter was given every single cent back at graduation, with a letter from us… explaining to her that it was never about the money for gas. It was a lesson in responsibility. It was a teaching moment that we thought was a very important one. She got it all back with the letter. She was also sworn to secrecy to not tell her brothers, as the same will be there for them.

23 Likes

Yep. I charge them $5 a day for gas. Why should parents be out money so the kid can make money. But only for work. Also once they had their own car. I paid for gas to get them to and from school and school events. Anything else was up to them. It’s call teaching responsibility.

Yes!! Gas is expensive. They would be paying for it if they were on thier own

If you need them to help out . Personally I never charged my kids anything

Stop creating transactional relationships with your babies. They have a lifetime to be an adult! Treat them like a child!

6 Likes

Yes so they can learn how to manage money

2 Likes

After I started working, I started paying my parents $100 a month to help out in the household.

1 Like

My son always offered. But ,when we were able to save enough we bought his first truck. It wasn’t great but it got him to work. Then he went and bought a new car. A 2019. It was barely used but it looked brand new and he was proud of himself as were we. Now he is saving to go to college. Nit a university but a vocational like a computer college or welding or something he can do without wasting a lot of money.

My parents paid for my gas until I was done college. Had their gas card. It’s a tough world now and kids need any leg up they can get.

5 Likes

I would charge my kids like $5.00 a day… it definitely doesn’t cover enough wear and tear on vehicle or gas but it also teaches them about responsibility…

Nope not until they get bothered own veh

Yes. And insurance
Especially during this inflation, if they have a job they can help out,with the vehicles they drive.

I make my son pay for gas occasionally because he chooses to work 20 minutes away instead of something closer. But I’m talking like 10-20 a week tops. He also takes the bus sometimes if I’m busy.

Yes. How else do you teach them about responsibility, managing their money, value of earning they way. …etc. stop babying them. There about to enter the REAL world.

2 Likes

Nope. Not until they can drive and use the vehicle for themselves only.

I don’t see anything wrong with them paying for their gas.

3 Likes

No. That’s a bit petty imho. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

If they are just starting out yes. It’s to keep them from getting discouraged. Once they’ve worked for a while, and have money coming, then they can pay for it themselves. They need to learn responsibilities. I paid for my all my card, I had 3 while I was in high school, along with insurance and gas for them. Any maintenance I paid for. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and the drive to keep working, and pickup hours to make more. As a kid, there was always something I wanted. I wish I wouldnt have blown all that money on things I did, however, I feel like it really propelled me for adulthood. I was basically self sufficient by 17. If your kids need money due to something, then float them a few bucks, but overall, teach them about responsibilities and start giving them a few bills, such as insurance and gas money.

I would pay for gas until they got their first paycheck. Driving comes with responsibility which mean paying for gas, and car insurance.

But if your driving them around alot,then sure, why not help put in the gas

No! My stepmom did that to me and i hated her for it! That’s your kid!..howeverrrr if my son wants to go cruising or something in my car i tell him to put gas, but to work? No way

Absolutely not!! Plus at 15, they aren’t legal to drive. So if the parent is adamant on their child working then they’ll take them freely.

1 Like

This is why this generation has so much entitlement

5 Likes

You have a car… you get a job… you pay for insurance and gas .

1 Like

Gas isnt cheap, so yess be good for them to pay their way X

1 Like

Work or school or necessary places, no. They need a ride to and from a friend’s house to hang out? You got $5 for gas? Yeah, they’re your kids, but you don’t need to be their chauffeur.

Yes so they can learn responsibilities and that nothing is free.

2 Likes

No at 15 our 4 boys worked and saved at 16 they bought a car and paid for their own gas and Insurance.

1 Like

No when my daughter got her own car (we bought it for her ) and turned 18 she started to pay for her own gas and insurance. She is still in school so we cover everything else

1 Like

My son “pays taxes” out of his allowance. It goes in his savings acct. I’d charge but it would go into his savings, too.

No way not at 15, they can only go where you take them :roll_eyes:

If they’re still in school no, but if they’re graduated and over 18 then yes

If they have no other bills, I’d say pay gas and half of the insurance. If a large cost for maintenance comes, a portion of that as well. That’s what I did.

My parents helped me with gas going to and from work but it I just wanted to run the roads and go places I paid for it

1 Like

It depends on the situation but mostly, yes. Especially if I’m being treated like a taxi.

1 Like

My mom never made me pay for gas when i was working at 15 and attending school. Im a really hard worker and highly motivated, always have been… i would honestly feel bad making my kids pay for gas. I can say thinking bad, if my mom was asking for gas $ back then id have been discouraged. Unless she was really struggling, i definitely wouldve helped out. I own my own business now and work really hard to provide for my 3 kids. Now if i had a super bratty ungrateful kid then it may be different. I may use ut as a learning lesson

2 Likes

My mom made me when I used the 1 car we had

My husband and I are thinking we’ll provide 1 tank of gas per week on weeks home with us for work and school, extra will be on SD15 to cover since we’ll probably have to cover the car insurance as well.

No, not a 15 yr old with their first job. Maybe when they’re like 17-18

Never. They never worked while they were in school. The oldest graduated high school with a 4.0 and college with a 3.85.

Once I had my first job, I was responsible for my own gas and insurance. My parents only gave me money if it was an “emergency” and I paid it back to them when I could.

1 Like

Ummm :face_with_monocle: once they turn 16 And have a vehicle of their own… they pay insurance and gas… Until they get their first check and have their own vehicle then no I would pay for it…

When my kids were in High school I use to pass around a can for gas money…lol

As long as they have a paycheck coming in then they can pay for their own fuel and insurance. Teaches them responsibility at a young age. Can’t do everything for them or they get spoiled.

I would not make them pay for gas, But We preferred our boys to wait until they were 16 and had their license to work, we both work so figuring out getting them to and from was too much work. Besides, here the number of hours they could work at 15 wasn’t worth the trouble :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My parents paid for insurance, I paid gas and they gave us our first cars as long as we weren’t picky. I never felt entitled and have no issues responsibly paying for my own stuff now

2 Likes

interesting question. we have four kids, all adults now. When they drove themselves to work,they paid for their own gas .I don’t remember ever charging them for gas when we drove them to all kinds of things! four kids, football,soccer,church events… :sunglasses: I didn’t really think about it at the time. They all turned out to be responsible working adults. I grew up paying for my own gas and insurance. I got free food and a home to live in!!! :grin:

3 Likes

I took my son (adult) back and forth to work for 3 years, 25 min each way.
He had to have some sort of responsibility. It put a huge damper on me being able to get a job bc his schedule changed day to day and never went to work at the same time, so I feel that’s the least he could do! I don’t feel $10 a day was to extravagant!

1 Like

My 10 year old picks up dog poop and I charge him $2 per ride. Yes absolutely. He also does rock picking and same thing we have 2 dogs and he has to buy them a bag of food with his money. It’s what they learn out of it. That’s life no one does anything for free. Why shouldn’t they help out?? us parents pay for everything else. They should learn that it’s good to receive but also to give and help out.

2 Likes

My parents charged us 23 cents a mile to drive their car back in the 80’s, which covered gas, insurance and wear/tear on the car. We did not pay separately for gas. And after I got my own car and it broke down, I didn’t have enough money to fix it, so they loaned me money and I paid it back in monthly installments, just like if you took out a loan at a bank. While I hated it as a teen, I’m thankful now for the life lessons. Nothing in life is free, and the sooner teens/young adults learn that and the responsibilities of life, the better off they’ll be.

5 Likes

I pay for the gas if he has been doing things for me like running after his sister or my errands.

When my vehicle was working I had my 17 year old pay for gas sometimes only when I really needed it

I would take them only to work. If they want to go elsewhere that’s when they pay gas money.

My parents charged me gas money. I told my son he had to pay me $5/week. I’ve yet to ask him for any gas money. He’s offered a few times and I wouldn’t take it. I don’t like taking his money. But he does save the majority of his paychecks. He rarely buys things he doesn’t need. He doesn’t impulse buy. If he sees something he wants, he ponders how badly he wants it. So, he definitely is responsible with his money.

2 Likes

I would never take money from my 15 year old but maybe start having them pay some of their phone bill to learn responsibility

Absolutely. But that’s all they should be paying for unless they want food or something else.

I paid my parents for gas when they took me to work.

Let the kid save money for when she/ he is ready to move. I paid my own stuff rent/ food/ etc. always worked paycheck to paycheck. The pay wasn’t even good enough for me to have extra money.

Nope. We didn’t start charging until my daughter was 19.

Yes if it’s going to be a normal thing and takes out of your routine. It’s life ! Does anyone drive u around for free ?

No. Let them save for their car.

2 Likes

My parents made me pay for gas and other small things but saved it all up so I had a bear egg for when I moved out

No no and no! Help them to manage their wages in other ways! Teach them to know about needs and wants! Needs always first and save for wants!

1 Like

That is something as a single mother of 4 I would never think of doing. I drove them and on occasion had to pick them up I was glad I was able too.

2 Likes

Horrible! I would never charge my kids for anything.

2 Likes

Make a 15 yr old pay for gas to go to work. Put gas in the parent car?

So if it’s on the way where your going no
But if it’s out of the way yes or an extra trip
They could always find there own way to work like a bus or a taxi
5-10 a week is not a bad deal

1 Like

Yes they need to learn ahead of time . Parents ain’t gonna be around all there lives we gonna die someday. What they gonna be at the graveyard asking for a free ride then. Problem with kids today is there spoiled brats cause of the parents. We don’t need more snowflakes

What my guardians did is at end of week we all got our tanks full. If we needed more than that we was on our own.

4 Likes

Yes? I would help up until the second paycheck since the first check always seems to be almost unhelpful. But yes I would have them pay for their own gas to their job. It’s part of their responsibility to get to and from their job. They are YOUNG adults, not adults just yet. Expect them to show some responsibility, but not take on everything an adult can do.

3 Likes

My parents did 50 a paycheck

2 Likes

No. Minor children are supposed to be funded by their parents, not themselves.

1 Like

No. He should be saving up for a car

1 Like

Perhaps a nominal amount, but more for reasons of learning budgeting. Same as if they took Lyft or a bus or cab. Once in a while trips no, regular transportation yes.

No… they are kids. Let them be free for a while… In a few short years they will have the dreaded responsibility of paying bills.

1 Like

Absolutely. We as adults have to pay for our fuel to get to work and home. That’s what them getting a job is teaching them. Mommy and daddy can’t always do everything.

1 Like

I say if they’re only going to and from work, we pay. If they’re out driving all around, they pay.

1 Like

My kids paid for the gas in their car. We never made them put gas in our car but the car that was designated to them they put gas in. They also pay 1/2 their car insurance

No but make them save

1 Like

Nope only if they have their own cars

1 Like

No! They’re not even old enough to drive. That’s the parent’s responsibility.

1 Like

Not if you want them to take care of you in your old age…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yep. I wud ask da child 4 gas money to take and pick them up from work. Like if i needed to go somewhere and they had da vehicle i wud put gas in their vehicle.

No, but he had to put half of each check of his money away in his own savings account. The rest is his, but he dose on his own put gas in here and there and pays for his own phone and cell service.

1 Like

No. But an occasional loaf of bread or something something small all so he should save some money 4his study or personal use.

Honestly if they are old enough to work, they are old enough for responsibility. As a parent myself in order to teach some responsibility I would expect if they want to work and don’t want to walk then they should contribute to their gas money fund. We are trying to raise our children to be functional adults.

1 Like

I would make them BUT I’d also be saving it to go toward their first car

1 Like

When I started working I stopped getting gas money from my parents.

No, once they hit 16 it’s on them but I will always be willing to help if need be.

My parents did honestly didn’t bother me much just made me feel a little more responsible

I would sit my child down and let them know since they have a job now is a time to talk about responsibility and what comes with that and make it a learning experience. I would always take them regardless because this world is not what it use to be but teach them to budget and save.

1 Like

No but I definitely do let her treat us to lunch every once in a while lol

2 Likes

To each their own. If they’re in sports and have good grades, I don’t want them to worry financially. Also depends on your financial status. I know not everyone can give a child a car and pay for insurance/gas. If my child has a part time job I’ll take about half and put it towards gas/insurance but I know my part time paychecks in high school were like $80 lol

1 Like

No not being 15. Once my kid turned 16 and drove her own car she pays for maintenance and her insurance. Although we did cover her tires even though she offered. We didn’t want her to get cheap tires. They are still kids no point in pushing them into adulthood before its time.

3 Likes

My kiddo gets 20 a week because she drives herself to and from dance (she’s a competition dancer) as well as her work. 20 is what I would spend to drive her back and forth.

No of course not but yes put money in savings acct

I wouldn’t make my child pay for gas . If I’m driving them to work or school and picking them up I will not have them pay for my gas. Now when they get their license they can pay for their own gas but I will pay for their insurance.