Should we put a tracker on our teens phone?

In this day and age, Keep your children safe at all costs… Spying, nope, being a concerned and aware parents, damn right. It can be done in a grown up manner, I wish you all the best.

I would do it, but for a different reason and that is for HER safety. If you can track her, then if she is ever late or something, you can find out where she is and check and see if she is safe or not

Kind if chuckling at some of these comments, about needing to know where she is at all times and that being your responsibility as a parent. Sorry, I get that technology offers us that option, but how many of you stepped out the front door as a teen and the only tracking device your parents had was other teen moms letting yhem know they seen you at such an such spot. You could definitely add 360 to the entire families devices for a sense of safety in knowing where they are if you need to locate them but if you trust your kid and feel like you don’t need to intrude on her privacy, that doesn’t make you a bad parent. Probably means you have a great relationship with her and she talks to you so you don’t need to snoop in her phone to know what’s going on in her life.

5 Likes

nope if she freely gives you the phone then no worries

3 Likes

A tracker can be a good thing for making sure you can find her if she doesn’t make it home.

We all did stupid stuff at that age. It’s how we learn & how we grow. In 2 years she’ll be old enough to live on her own. Wouldn’t you rather her do some stupid stuff now, so she can start making decisions on her own … than have her act out because you don’t trust her?

In my day, we didn’t have cell phones. I found out 10 years later that my dad use to follow me around when I was your daughter’s age. I never knew it at the time. Talk about a butt clench factor when he told me!! Haha

Kids need to be kids. If you start having concerns about the people she is hanging out with … or about drugs or sexual activity issues, etc., then TALK with her. Don’t spy on her. She needs to know her parents trust her, respect her, and will always be a safe place for her to land.

Honestly it’s not a bad idea, she is a 16 year old and you never know what can happen. Tracking her is not an invasion of privacy. You as a parent have a right to know where your child is and she may not always be as truthful as you would hope.

I think knowing her location for the sake of safety would be a good idea; but for everything else, unless you have some reason for not trusting her, she should be entitled to her privacy.

1 Like

No. Just no. You said she’s a good kid don’t ruin her trust with you.

1 Like

I would put a tracker on her. Not for trust issues,but if she doesnt have Onstar in her vehicle…it could save her life if she wrecks or is possibly kidnapped. Wish had had a tracker on me as a teen when my brother wrecked his car,me as a passenger,off a bridge middle of the night. No trackers or Onstar then. Let her know it is for safety reasons.

I would put life360 on her phone so you know where she is but to me monitoring what she does on her phone is an invasion of privacy.

If the kid gives u reason to be suspicious… than yep … If she has not given you reason … nope… trust goes both ways.

1 Like

Tell your husband that we can all put trackers on our phones for safety reasons

i would for safety sake, i wouldnt tracker but if her car breaks down or you cant find her it would help you to know where she is at, i speak from experience

In my opinion… yes. The world is a scary and dangerous place full of predators looking for easy opportunities.
Better to be over protective than live with the regrets of not

Well there’s apps she can download to hide things she doesn’t want you to see. It’s not that hard

I would put life 360 and that’s it. My oldest daughter and I have that still and she’s 19, married and lives 3 hrs away. She keeps up with me more than I do with her lol. My mother constantly spied on me growing up, snooped in my room and read anything private she could find and later used it against me. I made sure to have a better relationship with my daughter than that.

1 Like

Why act before you have good reason? Someone else acting out isn’t a reason at all, let alone a good one. She deserves privacy and if she hasn’t herself given you reason to investigate…don’t snoop. It’s a horrible betrayal in my opinion.

1 Like

As a parent I would say if she hasn’t given u a reason not to trust her then there is no need for that. It is an invasion of privacy and being that she will hand her phone over when asked and u have her password then I dont think u need to do anything else. Its like with my 11yr old son he acts very irresponsible when he has access to internet with his school chromebook so he sneaks it all hours of the night knowing the rule with it. So we log in and always check to see what he is doing because he gave us a reason not to trust him to his privacy which will continue with all electronic devices that he has until he can prove otherwise he deserves to have this privacy back by following all safety rules and house rules when it comes to it. Itll be the same if he ever gets a cellphone because its on our bill and that is a privilege he doesn’t need it so if the behavior continues as it is now when he is older then his phone will be checked as well. Everyone should be able to have their own privacy as kids/ teenagers up until they prove to u that they no longer deserve to have it and then at that point there is no privacy anything is fair game to look at. With her being a good kid and not doing anything for u not to trust her invading her privacy could make her rebel and act out or resent u especially when she has done nothing to deserve it. There is a difference tho between using a tracker to see where her location is so uk she is safe than there is for putting something on her phone to spy on what she is doing on her phone that’s where the invasion of privacy comes in. With the location trackers u can tell her its for her safety in case something happened to her u would know where she was at if u needed to find her im sure she wouldn’t have an issue with that. But to use something to spy on what exactly she is doing on her phone that’s where it becomes to much when she hasn’t given u a reason to do that and u don’t need to do that when u have her phone password anyway and she hands it to u if asked so thats pointless.

I probably will once my child is older.

I always tell my daughter that she has my trust until she doesn’t.

1 Like

i would get my son to put his phone on the desks at night in the kitchen and he couldnt touch it till morning then when he got older i had the passwords for all his internet things but he is 19 now and i lossen the reigns

No. If you have the password and she’s fine giving you it to look through it that should be enough. Specially if you trust her like you said since she’s a good kid.
I find it creepy that he wants to spy on her and keeps pushing the issue

1 Like

A tracker for emergencies is fine. Like if you can’t get in touch with her
One simply for spying when she’s given you no reason to is an invasion of privacy and a trust killer

1 Like

I would. They don’t lie to you they just might not tell you the whole truth.

Do you realize how many girls have gone missing? Do you know anything about human trafficking? Maybe there is other options to keep her safe but one thing is parents know…we once were young too only thing that has changed is the world has gotten more dangerous especially for young women. . I think maybe you should talk with your husband and daughter and come up with a better solution. Please keep your children especially your daughters safe because the world is not safe for our youth anymore.

4 Likes

Tracker like life360? Yes. I feel that’s a safety issue though so…

1 Like

I would if for nothing more than safety

I also agree a location tracker is a good idea but only for emergencies. If you do put some type of Spyware you must tell her otherwise that’s super messed up. Overall I think its a horrible idea to spy on your kids like that though

A lot of you are going to wind up wondering why your kids never call or visit you in your old age. Your answers to this question are the reasons why. :joy:

Better safe then sorry!

in Last month i have received $ 18617 doing work on my mobile. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 19638 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibllity with this ls endless.

Hop Over This>> https://eloquent-crostata-404794.netlify.app/

I trust my kids but I still have life 360 on them for safety. It tracks my entire family…my son left after graduation to be mp in the Marines and he still on it …it just makes us feel better knowing we are all safe

I have life 360 for my son who is now 17. I put it on his phone when he started driving. Not because I don’t trust him, but because I can locate him if ever needed. My Twins who are now 21 had it until they turned 18 as well. It has actually come in handy when my son was involved in a car accident, and couldn’t tell me exactly where he was. I was able to track him and get to him. I very rarely ever check his location as he has never given me a reason to not trust him.

1 Like

If she gives you no reason then absolutely not. You would be making a huge mistake. Trust that you raised her right. Have we all forgotten what it’s like to be a teen?

3 Likes

We raised 6 children. all are now parents and very responsible, trustworthy adults and parents. I am sure we must have missed a few minor things. But good for them. They made good decisions, love and respect us, and we them. We never pillaged their drawers, pockets, or personal belongings. No regrets.

1 Like

You can download Life360 just to keep track of where she is, I think it’s a great tool to make sure she’s safe in case anything were to happen but that’s as far as I would go. She’s going to end up resenting you guys if you go the extra mile to spy on her.

3 Likes

No, if she has given you no reason to think otherwise let her have her privacy, your husbands brothers past mistakes are not your daughters.

Hell no you said she’s a responsible and good kid… She’s given you no reason to evade that privacy

Eh, i have mixed feelings about this. It would be nice know their location if anything happened. But I wouldn’t be using it just to use it.

Sure, not to spy but for safety more than anything.

1 Like

#1 don’t fight! #2 if she’s handing over her phone when asked trust her, kids today are one step ahead of you if they are going to do something they’ll find a way. Love her and encourage her to feel free to come to you to talk.

Yes, not to be nosy, but for safety in case son/daughter goes missing

1 Like

My 15 year old daughter put Life360 on me haha before that I had no idea there was such thing. She tracks me to make sure I’m safe (I had a stroke a few years ago) and it gives her peace of mine when I’m at work. I also can track her location but she’s with me 95% of the time. I’ve never went through her phone. I don’t need passwords or to invade her privacy. She also comes to me with all of her “problems”, anxiety’s, fears, falling outs with friends. Be open and honest with your kids and they will always come to you first. She’s never hidden anything from me even if it were a crazy story. I give her the freedom to choose. She’s a very mature, respectful, responsible kid so maybe I got lucky :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Putting a tracker on her phone is not invading her privacy. Worst case scenario if she goes missing you’ll be able to find her. She’s only 16… maybe I was raised different but the kids these days have way too much freedom at an early age.

3 Likes

The Upside to do it would be always knowing without a shadow of doubt , no fighting with the husband, also always being able to find your daughter in case of emergencies.

I’m almost 22, my sister is 24 & we have life 360 with my grandma & my mom.

No don’t do that to her that’s a quick way to lose her trust.

4 Likes

Invading someone’s privacy is a great way to lose their trust. And trust is a necessity in every relationship.

4 Likes

My kids are now adults and they have tracking on my phone ! It’s scary out there these days!

1 Like

I use life360. Have pretty good kids but peace of mind is nice to have. Not a bad tool to have just in case

1 Like

I have Google family link on my daughter’s phone it has a location and parental controls . Maybe use a different app and introduce it as a safety measure too many missing kids

Nah! I wouldn’t appreciate that if I was a good kid. What’s the point of having a phone if you can’t have privacy? She’s 16 not 10.

I would , :woman_shrugging:t2: not because I don’t trust them . More for safety etc etc .
I can see my husbands location and he can see mine. I don’t think it’s an invasion of privacy. And when my kids are old enough for phones they are going to have it too. We can see them and and they can see us.:woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

No. I wouldn’t unless you feel there’s an absolute need. What exactly is your plan if you find out your kid went somewhere else? I don’t put tracker apps on my kids’ phones. If your kid is open to it, go for it. I wouldn’t force it.

All my kids have trackers on there phones and I have all passwords to there phones. I see no problem with it. I don’t go through there phones unless someone brings something up that I feel needs to be addressed.

We have life 360 for our whole family. It’s part of the rules when they get a phone.

2 Likes

Yes…until they’re 18 knowing where my children are 24-7 should be a responsible adults parenting position…If you don’t think so…convince me I’m wrong…go ahead…

3 Likes

He shouldn’t deem her guilty before she does anything to make him think there is reason to be suspicious. If and when the issues start … only then should you go farther than you already are. She sounds like she’s a good kid …you’re doing a good job don’t doubt her or yourselves just yet.

My husband and I have 6 children. Aging from 30 years old to 45 years old. And we have 15 years old grandchild. We all have trackers on all of our phones. Not because we don’t trust each others, but in case we need it in the future. Its better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

5 Likes

Why not just ask her if she would feel its an invasion of privacy or not. It can be used for safety purposes. She may not even care :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have an app that tracks what my dauggters doing, the app she’s on, how long she’s on it and her location. I use it mainly to check where she is because she’s at her dad’s on the weekend. And I just wanna make sure she’s safe. I never felt like I needed to keep actual tabs on her because she’s honestly a really good kid. I would recommend at least having a locator just in case.

Also to add, I do limit my daughter to 3 hour of use a day. But she barely uses her phone that much which is nice considering her age.

i think there might be an ap of some sort that will even show where the car is as well! might see if they have for phones too!

1 Like

Good way to make sure your teen doesnt trust you and will just find ways around what you do

3 Likes

maybe to know where they are but like, not to track every single thing they do on their phone ?

1 Like

Yes. With all the sick units just do it … I know many parents with it for their kids

2 Likes

I’m sort of on the rails. On one hand, she’s still a good kid. On the other hand, lots of changes at 16. More freedoms, driving, starting to date. (Depending on house rules)
I don’t know what state you live in, but child trafficking is on the rise in the U.S… The state welive in is in the top 5. Scary. There isn’t anything wrong with a tracker…as long as you’re not sitting on it waiting for her to screw up!

2 Likes

I have one on our 16 year olds phone. Not because he has ever gone where he shouldn’t. BUT I know that I did really dumb things at his age and that I put myself in really scary situations going places I shouldn’t have and that a few times I barely made it out alive. So in the event we can’t get ahold of him and are worried something has happened to him we know all the places he’s been or where he could be. It’s a scary time. I wonder that if someone kidnapped him how would I know the first place to look if I didn’t have a tracker on his phone. Sure I could look where he told me he was. But on the off chance he did decide to go somewhere he wasn’t supposed to one time and that be the time that he is in trouble and needing help I want to know exactly where to look. We discussed it with him first and made sure he understands why we have it. we don’t constantly check it though looking for him to slip up. We trust that he’s telling the truth. it is simply there for the what if situation. We have also used it when he lost his phone on a jog as well :joy:

3 Likes

At 16? Shutting the door after the horse has bolted? Too late.

2 Likes

Jenny Dez this comment right here, I couldn’t agree more with… The world we live in is just not same anymore. Our kids are not safe anywhere now and days!!

3 Likes

Life 360 is amazing but, talk to your kids about it first.

Treat your kids differently. Just because your oldest/other child played up does not mean you should assume that your other kids are going to do the same thing.

Give them a chance to show that they can be responsible for their actions and respect your rules.

2 Likes

Until she gives you a reason bad idea she will never trust either one of you

2 Likes

No. Only if she gives you a reason. If she has earned your trust already this would hurt her. I am a mother of 5, grandmother of 15. You know your child. I had one I could trust completely the other 2 not so much. 2 are bonus kids I didn’t have the pleasure of raising.

1 Like

She’s still a minor, if you pay the bill your choice, privacy isn’t a right, its a privilege! I agree until they are no longer under your roof and you are no longer paying her bills,you have every right to track her whereabouts and phone activity!

4 Likes

If she is on board with it, yes. If she thinks it’s a violation of privacy, no. You have to keep that trust between you or she won’t trust you again

2 Likes

You risk loose her trust if you do this. Once she no longer trusts you it’s all over rover

2 Likes

The more strict parents are the more kids rebel

4 Likes

Your a parent; not a spy. I call a tracker a good parenting decision.

2 Likes

Yes at 16. Once shes 18 you can take it off but only use it for safety purposes and not spying purposes.

1 Like

Having a phone is a privilege and if they don’t like the rules, well, guess they don’t need a phone. Or they can buy their own! I feel teens are given everything without consequences or the understanding that they don’t have to have things like phones or phones that have all the bells and whistles! Plus, if they’re not doing anything wrong, what’s the problem?!:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

If they had been available when my kids were teens, I would have put trackers on them for safety issues! As it was, we had one phone that went with whoever was borrowing the car.

I ran off with a couple of guys when I was 14. Nothing happened at all. They knew my age and still respected me.
I got home to see the cops everywhere :woozy_face: naturally, I don’t blame my mom but she took me to the hospital to have a rape kit done but because I was 14 it was my choice. She was pissed when I said no and if she couldn’t trust me now, she was never going to trust me. She asked me when I was 16, when I was 18, 21, 24, and 27 when I got married. :woozy_face:

My best advice is if she’s being honest with you, leave it alone. You’ll ruin it by invading her privacy. I no longer speak to my mom for that being one of the reasons

I would let her know, but get the life 360 app. Your whole family is in it and it notifies you when they are headed home from school when they get home if any one is speeding and you can send reminders when dinner is done. Its pretty cool.

4 Likes

The world is a different place then it used to be. They have apps that look like other things that are meant to hide texts and pictures. It’s not about not trusting her but you can’t trust the world she goes out into. I’ve seen more true crime shows about teens that went missing just going to the store or to school. Police take to long to start looking. Atleast with a tracker if she goes missing you’ll have an idea of atleast where to start looking, as long as the phone is on cause when they ping it, sometimes it only can give a radius depending on the phones location to the cell tower.

I did home visits n my daughter and a few coworkers are on my life 360.

if she was raised right -need no tracker-

1 Like

Don’t do it secretly. Talk to her about it, make the entire family get life 360. You’ll be able to see where she is.
Don’t risk losing the trust that you have with her by invading her privacy secretly or making her feel like you don’t trust her.

3 Likes

I would do it…why risk them being a missing person

If you both have IPhones you can link them and see where she is, that’s what I have on mine

IMO, trust is 100% until it is broken, so being the mother myself of two amazing young adults, I say no tracker until the deception has been done!! Good luck hun!!

3 Likes

Invasion of her privacy ? Who’s the parent here …

2 Likes

For location yes. But not for like spying if that’s what it is.

1 Like

My 14 yo has one, doesn’t bother her

I would, but not for that reason. Things are so bad now days. I would want one for security reasons.

1 Like

My daughter & I synced Life 360 to our phones.
She had no problem with it.
I don’t do it to “spy” on her.
She’s a homebody anyway.
We simply use it for safety measures & then I’ll upgrade when she starts driving.
I learned about Life 369 after watching a video of a teen girl who flipped her car off the Highway & landed upside down in a ditch. She was not viewable from the road & couldn’t reach her phone.
Her mom became worried when she never came home & because of Life 360 she was able to find her daughter!
I am not a helicopter mom because my Father ( a Jehovah Witness) kept me sheltered. I rebelled/ran away…you name it! I believe if you don’t allow freedom….you usually end up with sneaky rebellious kids.
However, With all the unhinged crazies in the world today, it’s a safety thing.
Shit……4 days ago a 19 year old had to jump out of a moving car to get away from a creepy Uber driver who was speaking sexual to her & then drove past where she needed to go & wouldn’t let her out. This was right up the road from me!
She jumped out as they were crossing the bridge & she ran to the state police barracks at the rotary.

1 Like

Better safe than sorry. Even good kids can get into trouble and this is the she where she is becoming more independent so she will be out of your sight and care more so it’s best to keep as close as eye on her as you can.

I think he’s worried about the possibility of becoming a grandpa. I would reassure him that you have access to her phone and y’all can check her phone if it’s ever necessary but I wouldn’t want to be that invasive of tracking her like that.

I would have a location tracker purely for safety reasons. But unless you are wildly concerned that she is doing something shady, then no, I wouldn’t track texts or such.

2 Likes

My kids have live 360 on their phones. They are great kids and I don’t anticipate them doing anything they shouldn’t but in this day and age and all the sex trafficking I definitely don’t want to ever regret not having it. They were both ok with it and track where I’m at half the time. Lol I do not track what they are doing on their phone but I do have their passwords If I feel the need to check

Don’t all cell phones have a location app on them anyway? My son will often punch in a few numbers to locate his wife. He’s not exactly spying on her. But she’s had some mental health issues the last year or so and he worries about her. She has panic attacks that are incapacitating and at times she gets so depressed she’s close to suicidal. So he tries to keep up with her if he hasn’t heard from her for awhile. She doesn’t mind. In fact, I think she appreciates it. Anyway, isn’t there a locator app on the phone already? If there’s not, why not hook it up for the whole family?

1 Like