Should you pay family to babysit?

If I was taking my mom somewhere and she asked me to get her something from the store- no questions asked, I’d do it because that’s my mom… this generation of kids is ridiculous. Be grateful she’s offering to watch your child and if she wants a damn Milkyway and a Pepsi from the store on her way home buy her the damn thing.

1 Like

She watches your kid everyday. Whether she works a job out of the house or not, watching her grandchild everyday is a job. She deserves to be compensated for her time.

2 Likes

If you don’t pay her maybe just something to show appreciation. But definitely tell her either way the snarky comments need to stop

1 Like

I wouldnt pay because that is her grandchild and if she didn’t want to baby sit she should say… I would take her out for dinner once a week or fortnight but not pay her…

I watched all my grandkids full time and never expect to get paid

Ummm ya you should unless she declined… Yoy can’t expect people to watch your child just because they are family constantly without having a talk about payment or not

2 Likes

I would never ask or even insinuate that I want or need money to watch my grandbabies. If she was really in dire need then of course a helping hand would be extended.

1 Like

The alternative is paying $10,000 a year in childcare, so yes, but her something on occasion.

2 Likes

My mom watched my son for almost a year. We paid her $80 a week. We had no issue doing it. She is retired and lives on $774 a month so it really helped her out.

5 Likes

You should be supplying all your babies needs. That statement is irrelevant. And yes you should because you are going to work to make money. (Date nights =no pay)
Btw she will likely turn around and buy your baby stuff with that money. That is my experience.

2 Likes

Find another. She’s a manipulater

1 Like

If it’s consistent and y’all are making money because she offers to keep the baby, then yes you should offer her something, even if it’s 20 a day, yes it’s her grandchild but she shouldn’t be made to feel like she has to, because ultimately she doesn’t :woman_shrugging:t2:. I’d much rather pay a grandmother than send the babe to daycare.

3 Likes

I can’t believe you’re complaining about helping her out from time to time. You have free child care, a few groceries here and there are nothing. She could charge you, and doesn’t.

2 Likes

My mom and my in-laws don’t ask for compensation. However, my mom lives with us and doesn’t pay any bills. She lives here for free but watches our daughter when we’re working so pretty much all the time. We pay my in-laws’ cell phone bill and they see her a few hours per day on the weekends. It’s a trade. So in my opinion, at least treat her here and there. Like if they need anything, knick knacks, we pay for it. Plus my husband is a mechanic so he’ll fix their cars for free and do maintenance for free. There has to be some back and forth. Nothing is ever completely free.

2 Likes

Why does everyone think it’s not okay that they not pay family? I don’t understand. Tell her you’d like to start paying her and ask her what she thinks is fair in addition to all supplies provided and car rides.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t pay her a wage but she’s saving you money by doing this so I would at least give her something be that a gift card for groceries or dinner out

1 Like

I never ask for money to watch my grandkids…

Maybe she’s not asking for money but acknowledgement and gratitude, if you can’t decide ask her out right if she wants to be compensated for her time. Communication goes a long way.

1 Like

Ummm yeah. That takes from her time. Time she could spend doing other things.

Can you find a babysitter to watch the baby, she should be ashamed of herself but if she’s asking for money either give it to her or hire someone.

1 Like

I watched my granddaughter for 4 yrs and when she was sick I kept her nights so that they could work , I never ever thought of money . The memories that I have with her I wouldn’t trade it for the world

2 Likes

What do you mean she has no job?
Babysitting IS a job

If it saves you from having to deal with unnecessary bs? Absolutely

Yes go ahead and pay her. She’ll always hold this against you if you don’t. Day care will charge alot more and the one I had charged for my son ( he’s 33 now) $5 a minute after ten minutes of being late.

she shouldnt get paid but you shouldnt have a problem buying her something when she asks?

No I would never ask for money to watch my grand children because it just wrong

2 Likes

Yup. And give her a 1099

2 Likes

She refused to get a job but yet she will give her time to babysit for you so I say hell yes pay her your making money

2 Likes

That’s really strange and upsetting to me. I don’t think that Family should expect any payment for looking after one another, when she gets too old to take care of herself and u & hubby have to care for her is she gonna pay u? Surely you’d do it coz u love her and would not expect anything. I know that’s what I’d do. A thank you should be enough.
My mother watches my daughter everyday because she just simply wants to spend time with her granddaughter!

I always bought my mother or mil things like groceries gifts something to let them know I appreciate the help

I would never ask anyone to watch my kid for free

Some people don’t charge their kids board when they leave school to go to work. Its a matter of personal choice. I personally think it teaches kids responsability. As for paying grandma to babysit, it should be put out there as an offer.

Well every little helps if she feels left out give her something maybe shopping or maybe some cash if that’s what she wants. But am pissed off she is whingeing about anything I look after my grandkids without payment just having them with me is payment enough the joy and laughter I hear every day with grandkids is payment enough. So if she isn’t happy find someone else like a child minder who u have to pay but give granny a rest

Ask her. I personally have watched all my grandkids for free but some people may want the extra spending money

I never charged my daughter to watch my granddaughter. That was my time with her .I had her every week

If she has no job she has to make money some how and what better than her having her grandchild and knowing your child is safe

2 Likes

She should have mentioned some sort of payment plan if she wanted money from the getgo… it’s always nice to gift her with an appreciation gift. Expecting payment though, wasn’t part of the deal and she can chill with that. However, anything My mother wants, she gets… your hubby shouldn’t have to go to you to buy a candy bar or whatever it may be for his Mother… it’s not mandatory but it’s nice.

My mother never asks for money or gifts for watching my kids (just for store runs or maybe a two hour date night bc am sahm) but i almost always offer or ask if she needs anything while I’m out bc I want her to know I appreciate her and all she does. Plus times are hard, if i can help my mom and she will let me nap a few hours, its more than worth 30 bucks to me. But, if his mother throws up stuff in his face like that and how you describe it, that’s really childish but she may feel hurt and used so talk to her. Try to establish wants and needs for this arrangement, for all y’all involved

My grandmother watched my son literally the first 1.5 years , she only recently stopped due to a surgery. My husband and I paid her 200 a month to watch my son- it is just respectful. While my grandmother never asked, it makes difference. She had to drive back and forth to my house- she bought him surprises and food- so really I never thought twice about it: she could have easily said no, and I would have been forced to pay 200 weekly for child care.

If she’s gonna hang it over your head, sit with her and ask an amount you and her can both agree on.

2 Likes

No and find a suitable baby sitter because that’s bullshit

You wouldn’t get anyobe else to babysit for free, just be it’s a grandparent if it’s on a weekly basis then yes you should pay her something. If she just babysat once a week while you guys went out to a movie or something then no compensation is needed. Just my opinion. But if she quit or moved away, you’d have to pay someone. Don’t be such a pair of meanies, jees you wont even get her some.little thing from a store!! Sorry…shaking my head here!

2 Likes

Babysitting IS a job, and because it’s Her grandchild you don’t have to worry that your sweet baby is being mistreated. So the question shouldn’t be weather pay her or not, the question should be What is That worth to you… Have you priced day cares lately.

5 Likes

I never charge for babysitting my grandkids, but if it is offered & I’m broke, I’ll take it. However, that’s for occasional babysitting, not every day while you’re at work. Yes, pay her and insist she take it! If she’s making passive-aggressive remarks about not being paid or you owe her, you need to pay her. Otherwise look for another trusted, reliable person to babysit. :grin:

2 Likes

Uh she’s a grandmother not a babysitter… you might want to be a little appreciative

3 Likes

And, I am actually raising my 9 yr old grandson. Without help from parents.

My fiances aunt watches my daughter when I need her to even if it’s just a quick trip to the store. Ive offered to pay her. Even left money at her place when she wouldn’t take it and she always gave it back. She just doesnt wanna be paid
So we just buy her things we know she needs instead. Like we’ll get her pop or water or anything. But that’s just us

You should always pay someone for their time.

Pay her and be done. No favors no excuses, no whining.

Yes my mom babysat for me and I paid her 15.00 a week. Back in the day it really help her and my dad alot. I only made 50.00 a week but I was glad to do it knowing my child was taken care of properly.

1 Like

My son had colic for the first 6 months and I literally went thru 12 sitters. No one could handle the screaming…lol. My mom took over for a few weeks til I secured another sitter and never asked for anything…she just wanted to love on her grandson. I used to send her flowers as she wouldn’t take the money. She loved the flowers!

It’s totally something you guys need to talk about. I dont see anything wrong with either paying her or just buying something when she asks. But definitely make it clear that you arent gonna do both.

Off course you should. Nothing is free…its her time… who cares if its the grandparent…its her time not yours to use. I understand if its once a week or two but not daily.

Some do and some don’t. But I would say your mom wants to be paid.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with paying her. Maybe all need to sit down and talk about it.

Even if you do t decide to pay her, I definitely wouldn’t complain when she wants you to run into the store and grab something for her… my mother watched my son for years so both my husband and I could work and I was so appreciative that she never asked for money but I would’ve done any favors she asked for!! Borrowing my car, grabbing her something at the store, making sure her favorite snacks and foods were at our house, etc. it’s a huge sacrifice to give up her time everyday and showing thanks in anyway is going to improve your relationship with her and your child’s relationship with her!

3 Likes

I personally would pay, cause anyone that is going to take care of child would definitely get paid, and besides you know she’ll take care of the child better than anyone else, so l think yes a little someone would be nice! My opinion!!

1 Like

Hmmmmmm wellllll maybe something so she has her own money butttt if she’s using it against you that’s not right either

Yes. Its your kid not hers. Or pay full price at a daycare.

1 Like

By right Even though she the grandmother cause you need to pay her for baby sitting it’s alot of work look after a child seriously you can’t expect her to watch your child for free. she needs credit to for herself .unless you wanna hire a full-time nanny I don’t see wants the problem paying her for her service watching her grandchild .it’s called common sense …

I pay $1,000 a month for child care, and the babysitter is family

1 Like

I pay my sister in law 20 a day and she has her 4 days a week from 630 to 330. She supplies all the food and activities ect. shes family but shes still helping us out so we pay her

1 Like

I would never charge to watch my grandchildren! I DID watch my grandson(more like kept him 24/7) while my son ran with friends. I still never expect payment. If I needed something I asked, not demand or guilt trip(which sounds like what she’s doing) and he got for me. I think if she thinks of watching grandchild as job then get a pay schedule set and stick to it no more guilt tripping!!

1 Like

This American culture blows my mind. My grandma in Mexico would always watch us grandkids for free during the day while our parents worked. There was alot of us too mind you. She’d be so happy to do it and had us help her with all the stuff around the house. She would’ve been so offended had any of our parents offered money.

1 Like

Id pay her like 50 a week

She raised her kid if you want someone to watch yours you should expect to pay :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Hardout I totally agree nothing free around here I think you are very unfair to your mother inlaw watching your child while you’re at work gosh.i don’t know where your from it’s just the basic facts of Life appreciate all grandmother s that watch over your children.so want if she don’t have a job she got one now…

1 Like

Yes of course you should pay her if she’s asking. She doesn’t need a job since she has one watching y’alls child. This is yalls child not hers. She should have to do it for free if she doesn’t want to.

Yes. At least offer what is fair for your financial situation. When you are depending on her so you can work it became a job., not grandma time.

1 Like

I paid my parents 70 a week plus all groceries for their house and they had 3 kids and themselves

Are you willing to pay her? And have you asked if she wants to be paid? There is nothing wrong with her wanting to be paid for her time, grandchild or not, she isn’t obligated to provide you with free childcare. However, as an adult, she should just tell you if she expects payment, instead of making off handed comments.

Absolutely. Just bcuz she’s family, watching a child is still a full time job. I’ve always paid my sisters when they watched my daughter when I worked. Even when my mom was staying at my home to watch my daughter before resigning my position at my job, she refused to take our money so instead we treated her to dinner, I bought all of her necessities, put gas in her car and pretty much made sure she never spent a dime. And when we got our taxes we gave her $1000.00. She still didn’t want to take it but we told her she did us a huge favor by living with us so we didn’t have to take our daughter out and to a daycare. Even if you start out by giving her 50 a week and go from there. Believe me she will appreciate it and not feel taken advantage of. :blush:

I watch my youngest granddaughter 2 , 3 days a week My daughter has a job where she has odd hours where I’m caring for her mostly at night For me it’s a pleasure to be able to watch her. I’ve let my daughter know that I won’t expect payment Her other grandmother watches her some to and doesn’t except payment. As for your child’s grandmother she might not be the best person to watch her because she keeps bringing up money At least sit her down and let her tell you what she expects She May be a better sitter if she needs the money. If you don’t have it share that with her Good luck

1 Like

If its full time yeah i would totally pay her. Also if she watches for free. You guys shouldn’t even question to buy her what she asked for. Think of all the daycare money you are saving.

My mother said her time was just as valuable as a babysitter’s time! I paid her to watch my children! If you will pay a stranger, why not pay someone who really loves them!!

3 Likes

I would child care is expensive and who better than grandma to watch your baby

Whether she is the Grandma or not I would pay her. I pay my babysitter 30 or 40 a day

1 Like

My parents watch my daughter for free when her daycare isnt open and I have to work. My parents see it as they are helping me out and getting more time with her and can take her out and do whatever. Plus I know shes in good hands so I’m much more at ease about being away from her

1 Like

No harm in paying her. You know your child is safe and loved. It would cost you $100.00 or more a week for daycare. I am sure it would help her out.

1 Like

Absolutely. I paid my MIL even when she lived with us and didn’t pay anything to stay here.

3 Likes

She watches your infant and charges you nothing. If she asks for something you should get it for her! If she doesnt want to go in the store you should happy dance your ass in to the store for her!
Jesus! Show some gratitude!

Wow!!! Getting paid to watch your own grandchildren??? I’ve watch my granddaughters (3yrs and 3 months) whenever and for however long for free. Why would someone even want to be paid unless they were asked to give up their current income to do so. If you’re providing everything then she’s just using it to benefit herself. That’s messed up!! I absolutely adore my grand babies and love spending time with them as often as possible!! She’s using the situation for personal gain and that’s disgusting. I’d find someone else to watch my child and let her go back to bothering someone else!! If she’s using it against you she’ll use it against your child when they are old enough to give/do something to benefit her. Just wow!!

Hell if my mil watch my kids and just wanted me to buy her something every now and then I say hell ya vs paying how much for daycare and worrying someone is miss treating my kids.

2 Likes

My sons grandparents watch him for free because they are the grandparents however he has only been babysat twice. She clearly watches your little one regularly. I would pay her at least a little and if she needs something, get it for her if it’s for your baby. Daycare is very expensive.

1 Like

When my kids have children I will not want money, my parents never did that to me everyone is different.

1 Like

My mom watches my kids all week. No charge. I’m soooo grateful because I cant afford daycare as I am a single mother. Maybe show some appreciation. It does sound like shes a little lazy tho as well. I feel you there

Yes pay her. Regardless if it’s family and if she doesn’t want an outside the home job you are getting an amazing deal having a person you trust in your own home watching the baby.

1 Like

If I had grandkids i would not charge i would be happy to be a grandma and spoil them. I keep hoping one day or one year maybe.

1 Like

Yes you should! She has raised her kids did she volunteer or did you ask? Pay her whatever you can afford.

2 Likes

If she is keeping child on a regular basis she should be paid or offered pay and if she wants something she has sure earned it! I would pay extra to have someone I knew loved my baby stay with it instead of paying strangers

2 Likes

Yes… or pay a sitter and give grandma a few days off. Why not ask her?

3 Likes

My parents and grandparents take my kids all the damn time and willingly watch them and step in for school functions when im not available and have never asked for a dime.

I would ask her what she want do some checking and go lower also start looking for other sitters just in case

1 Like

If your mother in law watches your child for the night every other week, she is visiting. That is a grandmotherly thing to do. If your mother in law is watching your child daily, regardless of what you provide, you should pay her. Or at least have the decency to go into the store for her without needing a guilt trip to do so.

3 Likes

Going back to work SUCKS, BUT be thankful and blessed you have someone who will love and nurture your baby. If she needs or wants something from the store give it to her. She is doing you a favor. My husband and I were very lucky to have my mother in law to watch our boys. She is a retired RN and I felt the same way after my first. We have had some snags along the way and absolutely have nothing bad to say about her. My mom just retired from being a bank teller for 30 years. She watched them if and when she could on the weekends and her one day off during the week. Be respectful and gracious to your elders and in return they will be gracious to you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I say yes. Bc her job is watching your child. My mother in law works and we pay her when she asks bc usually she says no

You can offer it I guess? My parents would be insulted if I offered them money for watching their grandkids though.

1 Like

i would help her out like its not much to help her out w little favors

1 Like

My moko is not a bank. My moko is my legacy. My heart. My everything. I would never expect my daughter to give me money for my time after all time is more important than money. I’m blessed to be a Nan & that’s more than I could ever want.

If you can afford to do so pay her, but if you can’t afford to than let it go

Good workers are hard to find. Family? Priceless!