Thoughts on child leashes?

What are your thoughts on child leashes? we had a family get together for mothers day and i had my 3 year old on a child leash because he is a runner and we were at a public park…my husbands family told me i NEEDED to take it off of him as he was not a dog and they made me feel really bad for this…but i am 38 weeks pregnant and could not keep chasing him as he tries to run all the time and i Had NO HELP…they ended up making me take it off of him and i didnt get a chance to even sit down and eat anything…i am exhausted

455 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Thoughts on child leashes? - Mamas Uncut

I think anyone who is against them has never had to chase after a child.

13 Likes

I always put my son a leash at the amusement parks. I could care less what people say or think. He would take off in a blink of an eye.

2 Likes

If it keeps your kid safe then that’s what needs to happen.

8 Likes

I am not a fan of them at all. However, if they wanted you to take it off so darn bad, they should have helped….especially your husband!

18 Likes

I see many benefits to one I also have a runner who likes to hide and not answer anyone but also I feel safe using one in public knowing no one can grab him and take him

1 Like

I use a back pack Leash. Like me tell you it’s saved me so much from chasing my son so don’t feel bad

1 Like

I love them :woman_shrugging:t3: both my girls had one! I like the back pack ones so they can hold the small stuff!!

Has helped a lot at zoo havent gone a whole lot of places to use it

My youngest child has Autism and was a runner too. We had no choice for her safety.

2 Likes

2 out of 3 of my kids were runners. A leash was actually a life saver! I would of said your more then welcome to take him off but you chase him around for thr day

1 Like

I always said I would never do it to my kids, my daughter has always been really good about listening and staying with me. My 17 month old son on the other hand is a no limit solider and also a runner so I’ve been contemplating getting one because he doesn’t always like the stroller and wants to walk like his sister.

I’ve had a strong opinion on this for a long time. I was completely against them until my autistic son took off and was lost for 10 minutes. It doesn’t seem like long but to a worried parent it is a lifetime. I’d tell them unless they are willing to help chase him down then they can mind their business.

6 Likes

I say tie em up​:rofl::rofl: jk. Nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Better safe than sorry!

4 Likes

What the issue with them

I used one with our son, for a short time when he was a toddler, so he would know boundaries & know not to dart in a parking lot etc :blush:
Do what reassures you

With all the child snatchers out there, anyone who tells me anything about how I protect my kids can get bent.

1 Like

Your kid , you’re choice

2 Likes

These days they’re necessary. I’m getting one for my son for the beach next month. The likelihood of him attempting to run off is to high. And being at the ocean I’d be paranoid af if I didn’t have one.

When it comes to safety sometimes they are a must :woman_shrugging: with my first I never dreamed of using one, my second I found out why they made leashes for tiny humans

4 Likes

Yes. Use it and don’t feel bad. It’s for your son’s safety and for your peace of mind (and your mental state).

It allows freedom and safety. Who cares if people say it’s like a dog? We put them on pets to allow some freedom while also keeping them safe. It’s not like you’re chaining your kid to the porch for hours and leaving a water bowl out.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with doing whatever necessary to keep your child safe. Tell your in-laws to mind their own business.

2 Likes

I tried to use one with my toddler and when she realized what it was she flopped on the ground and would not move :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

I just bought one the other day I’m a mom of 3 and I’m glad I bought it idc wht ppl think they can suck it

It’s for safety. Tell them ‘don’t tell me how to live my life’, and then boop them on the nose. Booopppp

I have two questions:

1. Why was your husband no help with him???!!!
  2. How in the ever loving hell could they MAKE you do anything? You’re the mom, not them.

Sounds like they, your husband included, suck :woman_shrugging:t2:

Personally, I’m going to keep my son safe however I see fit. Up to, and including, leashing him when letting him walk about in public. Someone wants to take him, I’m coming too :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

They can’t make you do anything, honey. Tell people to shove it, that’s your kiddo.

5 Likes

Sad! Shame on them.

1 Like

You should’ve told them to watch him then. Girl your kid your choice.don’t feel bad for how you raise your kids! Like you said in the end you didn’t have any help so who ended up losing?? I had my child on a leash and she would even bark like a puppy sometimes and I didn’t care who stared as long as she wasn’t running. You do what’s best for you💕

1 Like

they aren’t the ones physically doing anything to help they get 0 say in anything…

5 Likes

I used one with my 3 year old bc i didn’t want him 2 keep trying to run in street. i also had an infant, so my hands were full. WHY didn’t your husband help keep up with your child ??? SHAME ON HIM!!!

Here’s my thoughts on them.

1. It’s You’re choice as a parent to use them or not.
  2. I never liked the backpack ones so instead I’d put yarn through their pant loops and then tie it to me.
  3. No one especially your husband should judge you for using one.

Oh they are such a life saver
My kiddo would run everywhere.
Don’t worry what people say mumma
If it makes your life easier go for it

You do whatever is necessary to keep your child safe!

My 6 year old still wears a leash at big places like the air port and at Disney world ill be using one this coming week. I use it at festivals and concerts as well pretty much anywhere there is allot of ppl n distractions. For me its more about a safety thing so she doesn’t run off or get snatched up or walk off lolly gagging

They sound like horrible people. Didn’t even help you with your kid, but shammed you. Awesome. I’d be going NC. Not even sorry.

Fuck that nobody is going to make me feel bad for parenting as I see fit!!! To each their own!!!

If you need one for the safety of the child . Then get one . Some kids wonder off and are quick . I’d rather see a kid on a leash the hit by a car or snatched up
When we go on vacation this summer my 3 yr. Old

I’m against them, but wouldn’t “shame” another mom for using one.

When my daughter was a toddler, she refused to be held and would scream, she refused to hold my hand and would pull away and throw a tantrum. She would also throw a fit in her stroller. I took her to the Dayton air show where I had her on a leash. It’s a huge place with a huge crowd and the leash gave her a sense of freedom and me a sense of safety so she didn’t mind it. A woman there made a rude comment about it to which I replied “mind your own business b***h.” There’s my thoughts on it…

I bought one for my granddaughter cause she runs and I want to keep her safe. Too many pedophiles out there and I’m making sure nothing will happen to her

I use the ones w the harness on em. I have a 4 yr old and an almost 3 yr old. Better safe than sorry

Nothing wrong with a child harness. That’s what I call them. Does it look a lil odd ? Yes but when people aren’t used to something it takes time to adjust. They automatically think “dogs”. Because it’s called a leash and we see dogs wearing them.
It’s up to them to educate themselves and not be so judgemental.

There’s a reason they make those though. Obviously it’s needed for many parents and there’s nothing wrong with that!
And they have so many cute choices to choose from. It’s really not any of their business. Unless they’d like to help out :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Mama, you do what you NEED to do do keep your little safe and DO NOT let anyone (especially those not helping you) make you feel bad for it!!

5 Likes

why didn’t your husband help!

1 Like

Then they should have bossed up and taken over chasing him if they didn’t or don’t wanna eff them and keep it on it’s your child you keep him safe how you see fit and fuvk what anyone else has to say

1 Like

Honestly, huge fan of them especially for certain situations (any disabilities or injuries, later in pregnancy, etc etc). I don’t judge but they need to be used correctly. I saw a parent yank on their child so hard like they were a dog, which made them fly backwards and fall. We used a “backpack” for busy public places (amusement parks, zoo, etc etc).

1 Like

Tell your in laws to bug off. I had rather see a child with a harness on than see those little bodies get hurt or worse

1 Like

Your child, you do what’s best. I used one with my daughter. My son has special needs and is in a wheelchair, there was no way I could push his wheelchair and she walk right next to me while out, and it was also easier for someone to snatch her. I didn’t care for others opinions, my child to raise not theirs.

I use them for my twin toddlers when we are in public settings like that. I could care less what anyone thinks about it. It keeps my kids safe, that matters to me more than the opinions of others. Do what YOU feel is best! You are the mother, not them.

1 Like

He is your child!!! And you were doing the best thing to keep him safe!!! My daughter had one for my grandson. I felt better when they went to theme parks & public places with him having it on. I say use one! It keeps your child safe!

2 Likes

U r a grown woman how did they make u take it off your child??

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of them because my son always listened when we went out in public but if u have a runner then go for it

2 Likes

I was so against them . Until I had my kids back to back and my 2nd child was wild. He was the only one out of 4 kids that I used it on. But I only used when we wld go to zoo. Other then that, I always had help from hubby or in stroller.** so w.e works for you.** dont let any1 who isnt helping out make u feel any kinda way.

My mom used them back in the day on me and my brother when out in crowds. I have no lingering feels of neglect or abuse. If your child just won’t stay with you it’s that or a gps tracker watch linked to your phone. Safety is more important than some snowflakes opinion.

2 Likes

I keep my kid on a leash too. Who cares what everyone else thinks. At the end of the day your kid is always 10x safer because he’s strapped to you.

3 Likes

We love them! We have leashed every single one of our toddlers! We use the hand holder leash that goes my wrist to toddler wrist

2 Likes

I used to have very different opinions on these before I was a mother. Now, better safe than sorry. I’d rather have a child on a backpack leash than risk them running off and possibly getting injured/taken. Leashes allow them independence that strollers don’t, without risking their safety. Never let people make you feel bad about putting your child’s safety first! If it helps, there are ones that connect wrist to wrist, so one on your wrist, one on his. This might be a less “leash” like option. But either way, do what you have to in order to keep your child safe and who cares what others say.

7 Likes

I have 3 kids and my youngest is the only one who has a leash backpack. He is a little stinker, strong willed and will run the opposite direction of where he is supposed to go. He is almost 2 and LOVES his backpack. He doesn’t even attempt to get away with it and gets excited to buckle in it.
If it keeps your little one safe than use it! Ignore other people that is your baby! You are doing a great job mama :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Considering youre pregnant and no one else would go after you child when he ran you can tell them to suck it. Next rime remind them how none of them helped you and they would rather your child be stolen or hurt than help you out so they can keep their opinions to themselves.

That was not fair to you!! You’re pregnant!! Your husband should have been helpful more

4 Likes

Oh hell no, it’s a safety concern. And none of them help

2 Likes

Now days everyone needs a leash so much human trafficking Going on!Hang on to your kids

2 Likes

Used them with all three of my kids. I would rather my kid be safe. Kids can dart off in an instant.

3 Likes

You do you!! Omg, you are 38 wks , and chasing a 3 yr old ANYTIME can be exhausting! They were not walking in your shoes! The ones telling you to take it, should have offered to run around after him! I had one grandson that was a runner… It’s not fun!!

2 Likes

Whatever you need to do to keep your little one safe. Clearly it sounds like you have no help.

2 Likes

Absolutely NOT. I CANNOT STAND them. Either put him in a stroller or teach him to listen. Dragging them around on a leash, no.

5 Likes

I would have left. No one knows what you go through as his mom. I am 41 with a 2 year old who is also a runner. I am over protective as in I watch my kid! So him being a runner I neither get to sit down. I would have left. I’m not going to argue at a gathering and no one knows what you go through but you.

4 Likes

Honestly. A child leash saved my son’s life. If he wasn’t on one. He would have gotten hit by a car. Some ppl don’t understand. If they don’t. :fu:

8 Likes

I feel it’s nothing but false security! There is no substitute for watching your kid.

1 Like

I used a backpack leash with my 2.

3 Likes

I loved ours and it’s ur child fuck what any one thinks

I use one for my 2 year old that is also a runner. Do I get looks hell yeah I do but I know no one can snatch him up because is he right next to me and connected to me the whole time. I use them through the airport and on vacations.

I think they’re a great idea. Better than any kids running into the road or getting close to strangers without you there

5 Likes

You should of made them chase after him. Or left it on.

3 Likes

I absolutely despise them! In saying that, I don’t judge you for doing whatever you need to do to manage - people should mind their own business.

3 Likes

It’s a safety harness :blush:

6 Likes

If they are runners you need one

6 Likes

NOTHING wrong with them! Especially if you have a toddler and toddler that loves to run!

1 Like

Your kid your decision

1 Like

Personally I’m all for them when used in the proper situations. Littles can be so fast and be gone before we know it. I’ve had a few heart attacks at the park when one ran off in the opposite direction my other children were playing and gave me a fright. You can all the “adults” in the world “helping” and they will make their escape before you know it.

2 Likes

Use them use them use them. Fuck all the haters. It’s better than the arm injuries that can happen. Or your child being grabbed. Or running in front a fast moving car.

Guess what. I love my dog and put him on a leash it keeps him safer

I despised them until I had a kid lol

2 Likes

Raise your children how you see fit, don’t let others tell you how to raise them. As long as they are safe well & respected then you are doing right as a parent. Oh and fed lol

2 Likes

With a child safety comes first, and as one lady posted at least -not her words some creep cannot grab that child!!!

2 Likes

I always thought like that…til I had kids lol. I have the backpack kind. I have 3 year old twins. 1 goes one way the other goes the other way and I can’t keep up. How do you choose which one to chase. Lol. Hell if i could just rope then together so i only had to catch 1 it would be easier. Theyre into everything. It IS exhausting. Do what works for you!

1 Like

I don’t like a leash! However if it works for you then go ahead. Also I going with the husband will be no help with the second kid

1 Like

They wouldn’t be making me do anything! You birthed your son not them!

Making you? I’d have some choice words for them!!! Your babies- your decisions mama! You do what’s best for you and yours- and the rest can kiss it! in my humble opinion💜

3 Likes

Why isn’t dad supervising the child - especially when you’re pregnant? If he can’t help and it’s going to be that unenjoyable then you either learn to stick with your parenting choices or decline the invite. Honestly, family members and other people will always say what they think a parent should do. Good for them. Not their child. We have to assess our children and their needs, and our own needs in different environments and determine the best strategies to keep everyone safe. It’s hard to deal with family pressure but sometimes it gets easier with each outing/event to just do you and your child and say thanks for the advice but I got this.

2 Likes

Screw the haters, I’ve actually seen one of those be the difference in saving a kids life- kids are small & drivers don’t always see them, slow down, or pay attention. I use them on my kids in busy areas and when we travel. IT’S YOUR CHILD, IT’S YOUR CHOICE. :hugs::heart:

1 Like

I have one for my daughter it’s a butterfly back pack to. It’s to ensure your child’s safety when they are outgoing kiddos. Never let others make you feel bad for protecting your child.

5 Likes

Your his mom not them. F them. Your trying Your best to keep him safe, runners can pull some really scary stuff.

If your child needs that extra security, your child needs that extra security,

1 Like

They have cool little backpack ones we used them for my niece and she loved it lol

It is a little jarring to see a child leashed but in your condition I see your point. I would have asked the relatives who wanted the leash off to please chase him as in your condition you cannot. See how many chasers there are. :wink:

3 Likes

They are great. Fuck the haters