Thoughts on child leashes?

Shame on them for saying anything!! I so totally understand. My oldest daughter was the same way and could run like the wind at just 18 months. I had to steal myself against what others said especially as I had to do it all my self. When a neighbors son “Ran Away” at just 3 when he was supposed to be playing in the yard (under Daddy’s watchful eye…Daddy was busy talking to his buddy about a ball game.) When the police brought the boy home an hour later the child had been found 2 blocks away (and if he had gotten just 1 block farther …he would have been faced with a busy highway.) The police threatened the parents with C.P.S. should it ever happen again. Better to leash their child than to lose it forever.

1 Like

keeping your child safe is the most important if it’s a leash so be it​:smiley::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Some kids need em… Some dont

1 Like

I had my middle child age two on a leash back in the sixties and got a lot of looks, but. I felt she was more important than a dog. The one ear old was in the stroller and the four year old was walking holding my hand.

I think they are a Godsend.

3 Likes

I never liked a leash but these days wirh all the trafficing if you cant keep up its better than regrets

I love leashes! My two year old prefers to walk when we go to stores, but I can’t watch her and shop at the same time. The leash allows her the freedom she wants and the safety she needs. I don’t understand why people are more interested in keeping their dogs safe than their children. Or how allowing them three feet of freedom is worse then securely tying them to a chair (grocery carts or strollers) for no freedom. USE THE LEASH!

1 Like

I had twins that ran :point_left::point_right: this way. The backpacks were a godsend!

your child, your rules :woman_shrugging: your child’s safety and your sanity means much more than any family member’s (or non family member for that matter) opinion. period.

1 Like

Sound like inconsiderate folks to me.

1 Like

I am a grandmother of several grandchildren. 2 of which are twins. Their mother uses little butterfly leashes on them. It’s great.!!! It also helps to know that it’d be harder for someone to grab them and run. Plus. I personally saw a little girl pull loose from her mothers hand and get hit by a car. If you want to put a leash on him by all means do so. Tell others to mind their own business.!!!

2 Likes

I like them so child can’t run off also incase someone tries to grab them tell them shut up

I didn’t like them until i had irish twins. Much needed.

1 Like

:rage:Your child! Your choice! No one else’s business.

1 Like

They need to mind their business.
I believe that if you have a runner or one that will hide, a leash it is! Don’t let them make you feel bad. We’re THEY chasing your child everywhere? Or would they have? No? Then they need to shut it. Good luck with your pregnancy. :revolving_hearts: And, do what’s best for you and YOUR children.

1 Like

I used it when my kids were small. After my 3 years old hid under a display in the mall and 20 people were looking for him🙄I had a 1 yr old in the stroller and almost lost my mind. Safety first. You should have told the in-laws to chase him around

1 Like

I’m big on what works for you. They gave you shit about a decision you made for your child’s safety. You ended up running all over the place after your boy. Answered your own question I’d say.

No one could make me do such a thing.

1 Like

We always had them when my kids were young , everyone used them, they were called reins back then, it was a safety thing, so they didn’t run off and get hurt. What is wrong with people today for heavens sake?

1 Like

Sounds like you husband should be the one chasing the kid around if your 38 weeks pregnant

I had one for our daughter. She could disappear in the blink of an eye. That was over 40 years ago. I got many disapproving looks. But, she was safe. I just bought one for my grand son. It gives them safe and controlled freedom while put walking.

2 Likes

They were a headache saver for me. My younger 2 we’re runners. They had backpack ones and they got to carry all their things in it. Cups, snacks, toys. It made them happy. They rarely ever stretched it to the max but they were close to me that’s all that mattered to me. They were safe could “explore”. I got nasty looks and comments all the time. Sometimes I wish I still had it one for my 7 year old haha

1 Like

Every parent has to find out what works for them…I’m not for putting a leash on the child, because leashes are for dogs, but if it works for you…don’t worry about what other people think or say :woman_shrugging:

He is Your child and you are His parent. People who don’t have rambunctious children don’t understand that a very active child sometimes needs to be restrained. Better safe than sorry.

Child leashes - wow - at 38 weeks and no help - I don’t blame you. People will always say things negative about these things. I can’t say I’d agree with it - if circumstance were different- you not being pregnant and your family helped watch you baby. However - I have a young brother that ADHD/ Hyperkinetic- for every brain impulse we have he has like 3/4 - when we went to Disneyland and Airshow with 80,000 people my parents put one on him. Mom would say - better that people think your a lazy parent - than to lose your child to a stranger forever. :v:t4::sunflower::heart:your a good mindful Momma - don’t ever change - your kids , your way!

Nahh,Llet grandpa keep the one who had problems for only a week and he was trained with just a look.

I put one on my 5 year old! I’d rather be safe than sorry. She likes to take off from me, so I feel I have no choice. Also this child doesn’t know a stranger she will talk anyone, it’s so scary. If she’s within arms reach I feel a lot safer.

Your choice wasn’t your husband or S/O there to help why wouldn’t he help or any of the others considering g your pregnent

1 Like

I love them and most toddlers prefer this rather than holding their llittle hands in our big hands.

1 Like

i used to despise them until i had an energetic kid but had no energy to chase him

1 Like

You are in control of your son not his family,do not agree to there demands .You are pregnant your husband should of stood up for you.

3 Likes

I would say F them! Everyone always will have something to say. I would have spoke up. Screamed at them and told them to mind their business. If your husband actually helped you, you wouldn’t have to leash the kid. If they continued talking sh** I would have took my kid and left my husband there. He can find a ride home.

1 Like

I will say it again. Why do people protect their dogs from running away from them and not their children. Make sure your husband know that he is just as inconsiderate as his family.

2 Likes

He should have told your in-laws to mind her own business it was your child and you were keeping him safe

1 Like

Well they are not leashes children are not dogs. They are child body harnesses so your child/ren can’t run off alone and get lost. I think they are great if you have a runner. It may seem weird but it’s better than losing your child and they end up getting kid napped or badly hurt.

All 3 of mine hade reins. No big deal here in UK.

My son aged 4 at the time ran off and I was in a new city we had no one if I had a leash for him that time I’d use it
Kids run off get lost kidnapped and they’ll blame you because you’re his mother
I was blamed for him running off but I had a new born and my daughter in tow
He was found safe and unharmed but it was the scariest thing ever
If you need to use one use it and don’t care what other people say he’s your kid at the end of the day

They are body harness for children’s safety tell your in laws it’s hot nothing to do with them it’s your child you do it fir is safety

I thought they were absolutely horrible. until I had a runner and energetic little hellun lol. He would run in the street, parking lots, in front
of cars. Before anyone comes st me I was always watching him. He was just hella fast.

Tell them to shove it, it’s not their kid.

Ummmm no. That is YOUR child, and you’re doing what you need to do to keep to keep him safe! This is not the same world that they grew up in and raised their children in! Keep that boy safe mama!

I used one to keep my son in the stroller. He would grab stuff as we were walking by and pull himself out of it even when he was strapped with the stroller belt. This was 35 years ago. I received comments but my son’s safety was more important than some busy bodies opinion. Keep up the good work momma.

I used one on my granddaughter. Her mother and I took her to a lot of outdoor concerts. She was fast . So yes she had one on her wrists . A diamond studded dog collar she picked out herself.

Used them to keep my boys safe at Disney when they were little. Would do it again, too

1 Like

My mom thought they were child abuse until my brother came along. Its all about perspective and what works for YOU!

1 Like

I was a leash baby. I turned out just fine for the most part :woman_shrugging: no leash PTSD here or anything

1 Like

My kid was a runner… would take off any time any place… I would be running as fast as I could and still have to jump at him to grab his shirt and catch him because he was way faster than me like I would feel like my legs were going to give out… he got a leash and he is currently alive because the leash prevented him from running out into the street. I mean the kid once bolted down a groccery store aisle through the check outs and towards the road… that was the last straw for me and we got a back pack leash. Who cares what they say your kid is safe. Thank God my son grew out of the bolting phase about 6 months after it started so we didn’t need the leash anymore but I have never experienced such terror.

2 Likes

You should have agreed to take it off on the condition they chase him

3 Likes

Evidently…you didn’t teach him better…parent is a verb…he should know better at 3

1 Like

No one can truly MAKE you do something. No matter what, it is still your CHOICE. I would either ignore the family or leave the party.

1 Like

Oh I put my 22 month old daughter on a leash. She been gone in a blink of an eye. To bad people just don’t get it, it’s much safer and especially when you are pregnant.

Do what works best for you. If your child is a runner for his safety use on. I don’t blame you for feeling exhausted at 38 weeks of pregnancy. Why didn’t they help you take care of him.

1 Like

Leave it on, tell them you would much rather have people talk about it, than to talk about your child who ran into the street n was killed. And expecially since you are ready to give birth again. Your a Great Mom!!!

1 Like

I was a leash kid. I always thought I would never use one on my kid…that was until I actually had a kid and took him to carnivals, busy malls, etc. They’re a lifesaver in those situations. It’s for your kid’s safety.

2 Likes

It’s your kid and nothing they say is worth risking the safety of your child

1 Like

Safety first, you were doing what you needed to do. Everyone has their own opinion, but a child being safe is the most important. And that is your responsibility as a mother, so you handle it how you feel that is best for you.

1 Like

I wore one when I was a little one…vacation time was always busy and I never left Mommas side because of it. AND NO ONE STOLE ME EITHER!

Don’t let anyone make you do Nything…guess who isn’t gonna lose a child…you…I use o e

I remember Jaime’s twins. They both would run in different directions!!!

Was pretty much standard in the 50s, 60 & 70s . No shame if that’s what you need to do

I used one with all 3 of mine. They’re just fine. Tell them to mind their own business.

My son was a runner, and I absolutely used a leash if we were in a space close to roads or big event arenas. I took him to a park one time and looked away for 3 minutes and he had to run clear across the park to a busy road. I see if it makes you feel comfortable, do it

I wish I had one when my oldest was little! It would have saved me from having to chase him when we went out. You have to do what works best for you and your family, never mind what others have to say!

I was totally against them too and now my daughter loves them and they are helpful especially in public

1 Like

I’d have said. I can take him off of you all can run round after him as I physically can’t ATM being 38wks pregnant. If they will help great if not then leash stays. Simple.

You’re the mom. If it makes you feel safe because you are in an environment where someone could grab you’re child and you are unable to chase them then your family should either help or stay quiet

1 Like

Tell them to run after him because your not going to put your baby at risk through high blood pressure.

I remember my mum use one, very useful

I used a child leash on my daughter. It kept her safe…

1 Like

Tell them your child, your decision. I think you were right!

You should have picked your child up and left. Where were these family members. Of course they didn’t try to help. One lesson you need to learn now is that you need to march to the drum that works for you. You will be much happier when you set boundaries and stick to them.

6 Likes

That leash is a safety line. Great for being in public.

2 Likes

Better safe than sorry. It keeps your kid from running away and getting kidnapped

2 Likes

No, they didn’t make you take it off, you chose to take it off rather than face the confrontation and hold your ground.

1 Like

I used to scoff at people that did that…until I had kids. That were runners. Tell them to mind their business and if they want to run around after them, have at it.

2 Likes

What ever works for you and keeps you and your child safe!!! I used one on my child for a little while because I couldn’t keep up with him when he was little. He is now almost 52 and is not worse for the wear. Don’t let someone intimidate you into doing something you know isn’t right for you.

2 Likes

I’ve used them for my son who has ADHD. I would have done lost him by now without it! He’s 8 now and doesn’t need it but boy did it make my life so much easier!! Do you and yours mama!! I don’t see anyone who’s disagreeing coming and watching/chasing your child(ren) around :woman_shrugging:t3: :heart:

1 Like

Completely up to you mama. As a dad, I can’t get pregnant so I choose to chase em, but you being 38 weeks definitely don’t need the physical stress so if that’s what makes you comfortable and able to keep your baby safe then go ahead girl

They are lifesavers for active children.

That is your child not there’s do what you want

I had a child that was a runner too! It was exhausting. When we went to a fair or a family reunion, I would put it on him. He didn’t mind. If other people had a problem with it, I would ask them if they would like to chase him for a while. I never got a volunteer.

for unknown crowds they r great!

I think it’s a great idea better to be safe and protective

Amazing! My son likes to run off too much. I love them.

I had them for my kids . 25 yrs ago

We used them on our children when they were small and they are well rounded adults! In those days, we did not have twin strollers as I recall! Overactive and still alive!

And his Dad didn’t help!!! Alarm bells honey!!!

6 Likes

Unless they plan on being that child’s parent, they have no say.

2 Likes

Whatever works for a child’s safety. Nobody is allowed to MAKE you do anything when it comes to your child’s safety.

2 Likes

I had 1 on my grandson for a year & then was able to take it off because he learned not to run from us or he would have to put it back on. He is 3 now.

2 Likes

The leashes were great when my kids were small, they can move so fast when you don’t expect it.

1 Like

I think they are great. Way to many crazies out there now days

1 Like

In a heavy populated area , idc what people think , it is for safety.

1 Like

I haven’t used them, but when we are at family events, everyone pitches in helping with all kids.

Used them on all five of mine. My one daughter at 3 was asked why she was wearing a dog leash? She didn’t even hesitate with her reply, " to protect me from weirdos like you"! Classic

9 Likes

Hand that leash to the husband and sit your self down right next to the biggest complainer.

5 Likes

The ones who demanded you take the leash off should have offered to watch him. I’d say, “Put up or shut up”.

I wldnt use them but if you like it I love it :woman_shrugging:t2:

I think they are great!!! It gives the child freedom to walk about without holding a hand as keeps him from taking off or being taken!!

1 Like

Wow! 38 weeks pregnant, no help keeping him safe, unacceptable. My middle child was a ‘runner’. I had 3 under 3. She would just run off. Hard to stop when you got a elder child still under and a baby in a baby carseat. I had to have a way to ensure she was safe especially if I was on my own with them. I never had any negative comments. In fact only 1 elderly lady said something. She bent down to my daughter and said “That’s to keep you safe”, smiled and wandered off. My daughter didn’t like it but quickly learned if she doesn’t want it on, she can’t do a runner. Probably only 4 mths use. I hate this argument that they are not a dog. We use leads to keep our dogs safe, otherwise they could get run over by a car etc, same principle should be added to a child that is a runner.

3 Likes