Thoughts on marriage?

Can you propose?
Maybe ask him if when covid is gone if he would like to elope and get married somewhere? Maybe on a beach?
A nice family holiday at the same time or even just the two of you.
This is what I would do.
Just remember there is nothing wrong with wanting marriage. You live your life by your own choices, wants and needs.
I love marriage. Me and my husband of 11 years got married pretty much soon after meeting. He wanted to lock it in haha.

3 Likes

Marriage is more about the relationship, not that certificate. If you have a great relationship, the word ā€œmarriedā€ isnā€™t going to make it any better. Talk it out with him. If itā€™s not something he doesnā€™t want, and you force him into it, there will be resentment. My philosophy is: If it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it!

1 Like

My husband & I have been together 10 years & weā€™re not married we both want too but canā€™t really afford too right now & technically itā€™s only a piece of paper & at heart were married I call him husband & he calls me wife.
We bought wedding rings off Amazon (nice ones) too show weā€™re married for now until we actually get married

Iā€™m 15 years with my oh and Iā€™ve never been married not really bothered we get married when weā€™re ready just a bit of paper to us, here in ireland if your cohabitation for more than 10 years you have the same rights Iā€™m his next of kin and all the above if its ainā€™t broken why try fix it you sound like you have a happy relationship anyway

I was with my now husband for 10 years before getting married. Kids, house, cars in common. I was the one that didnā€™t want to get married for no other reason other that I didnā€™t feel the need to and didnā€™t need a piece of paper to prove anything. Maybe heā€™ll warm up to the idea, maybe not. If itā€™s something you 100% want in your relationship talk to him and express your feelings and let him know itā€™s a deal breaker for you.

From a legal standpoint, that ā€œlittle piece of paperā€ is VERY important. Even if he has his affairs in order, his family could challenge things, such as, a will. People get crazy when they are grieving.

2 Likes

Have you been living together for that whole time? I live in WV and we still have Common Law Marriage (7 years living together)

Weā€™ve been together 3 years. If we donā€™t get married sometime in the next couple years, Iā€™m gonna a have to have an honest talk with myself bc I know dang well Iā€™m not gonna be happy with never getting married and Iā€™m not waiting ten years to do it or realize it just isnā€™t going to happen. If he doesnā€™t know he wants to spend his life with me by now and have enough faith in us to marry meā€¦:woman_shrugging: thatā€™ll be an ugly battle with myself. I deserve to carry his last name if he wants to be with me. Period.

Marriage is just paper

2 Likes

If you have a good relationship I wouldnā€™t worry about it. At the end of the day itā€™s just a piece of paper and if it isnā€™t meant to be then you donā€™t have to pay $1800 for somebody to rip up that little piece of paper for ya. If heā€™s good to you and yr kids and you love and trust him, run with it.

1 Like

Just get rings. Itā€™s easier to get married harder to get a divorce

3 Likes

Someone told me once that if he hasnā€™t asked u to marry him by now he wont. It was true. The guy I wasted so much time with didnt want to marry me. Kept me around for whatever reasonā€¦idk what the reason wasā€¦but a waste of lots of time. I wish u the best.

3 Likes

Communication :woman_shrugging:t2:. Tell him what you want and need and ask him what he wants and needs. The fact that you have to say to him that it doesnā€™t need to be today off next year makes me believe heā€™s not where you are. Which is fine, but if youā€™re hesitant to speak youā€™re truth then thatā€™s a red flag. Communication if key.

1 Like

Marriage isnā€™t a piece of paper

3 Likes

Oh girl I couldā€™ve written this. :joy: weā€™ve been together for almost 5 years. Been engaged for 2, have 2 kids together and built a house together. But we keep slacking on the marriage part. :joy::joy::joy:

Me personally, I want a legit real wedding since we had an unplanned baby. But then we had the opportunity to build our dream home or have a dream wedding. Obviously I picked the home.

I just donā€™t feel the need to get married. And I donā€™t want to do it quick either.
Weā€™re in a day and age where marriage is overrated. Granted weā€™ve come into issues where HIPPA, or our mortgage or having children has homework because we arenā€™t married.

But itā€™s up to you. If you want to be married, be up front with him. See how he feels and go from there.

My fiance waited 3 years before proposing. Weā€™ll be celebrating 5.5 years on our wedding day. When hes ready heā€™ll do it or you can propose yourself. Some say itā€™s just a piece of paper. To me it doesnā€™t feel like just a piece of paper and I think you might be the same way. If you thought it was just a piece of paper you wouldnt be upset that he hasnt proposed yet

1 Like

In the eyes of God.living together without marriage is sin. Itā€™s more than a piece of paper. Itā€™s a commitment to be there for each other till death do u part.love only each other. I believe in marriage. Yes I know it donā€™t always work.just living together will never be the right thing

9 Likes

Marriage is expensive divorce is higher. You donā€™t need a piece of paper to call him your husband. Only thing marriage changes is medical that is it.

3 Likes

Me and my husband have been together 6 years weā€™re not even really married weā€™re not technically married itā€™s the mindset for us we donā€™t care about the rings or having a legal document he still calls me his wife I still call him husband honestly you guys have been together so long itā€™s expensive to get married sometimes and the reason I donā€™t have a ring is I canā€™t wear most medals and my husband is very picky on what he gets me something special expensive honestly we agreed on a wood carved ring that looks like Vines because I love nature he wants to get something custom that we canā€™t afford so saving up for that but honestly I could care less about a ring or a piece of paper saying that weā€™re legally married heā€™s still my husband at heart

The marriage certificate is very important. Tell him you want one OR you both go to a lawyer and form a WILL that takes care of you ā€¦ both.

4 Likes

I think a piece of paper doesnā€™t mean youā€™re married. You can call him your husband without a piece of paper. Marriage is overrated. Just live together and call each other whatever you want. Itā€™s alot cheaper

You both should talk and lay out what you both want and if marriage is on the table.

Talk to him. Set a dead line etched in stone. Move if no co.mitment by that date.
Or accept it the was it is
Do you live in a state with common law marriage

Be surƩ your name os jpined with his on house car bank accounts fo the sake of kids to not necessay to marry

Iā€™m in the same boat. Almost 7 years. Iā€™ve kinda accepted the fact hell never commit past boyfriend.

My Mom always told meā€¦ If you move in, have kids, buy a house first etcā€¦ Then people (usually men) get comfortableā€¦ He has everything he wantsā€¦ Why would he go any further?? Just let him know this is what ya wantā€¦ Itā€™s importantā€¦ If he doesnā€™t ask in a reasonable time frame after talking about itā€¦ Then maybe heā€™s not the one!

I mean, here in Texas, living together for 7 years is a common law marriage. You guys could technically be considered married if your state laws are different. But also, he needs to be upfront and honest about his intentions. And if he says one thing but does another, maybe its time to reconsider altogether.

marriage is a different level of commitment. and that paper means more than you think. 6 years with no mention of marriage sounds like he ainā€™t the one. at the end itā€™s a commitment heā€™s not willing to make. no thanks. :put_litter_in_its_place: