Tips on babysitting a child who doesn't really know me?

So my boyfriend and I are down at his sister house for the week and we’re house sitting and taking care of their babygirl, they had a business trip to go to.We don’t mind watching the house and the baby. Our problem is that the little girl, she likes to fight with us and a lot of it is the fact she doesn’t know who we are since his sister won’t bring her around anyone. She’ll come around us when we feed the animals and when I ask her where their food is at. She show me and even help. But when it comes to feeding her and even trying to give her a bath it’s a huge fight. We ask her if she want fruit or waffles, even juice and she’ll say no and give a little fit about it and yells when we leave the kitchen.I need tips because this is gonna be a long week

9 Likes

Shes checking her boundaries. Did the parents leave any type of schedule for her or can you ask for some tips?

1 Like

Ask her to show you how her mom usually makes her snack or meal or whatever. Pretend like you don’t know how a bath works and get her to show you. If she’ll help with the pets she’ll probably help with the other stuff too.

4 Likes

Give her two choices, as long as you are OK with either option. It’ll give her a little freedom and you will be happy with either choice.
That’s what I would do when I was a nanny

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised she’s acting that was towards bathing her if she’s never met you before

8 Likes

Have parents talk to her over the phone

1 Like

She may behave differently if her parents aren’t around. Happens with most children

Text her parents and ask what she likes to eat

Ha it’s not that she doesn’t like you. It’s that she’s testing how far she can run over you. Second how old is this kid? The age makes a difference in giving advice. Third, give her two options that are both ok. That way she feels like she’s able to make the choice such as what to wear. When it comes to food however my kid gets what she gets. If you’re hungry enough you’ll eat. As far as playing do activities SHE likes doing. If she acts like she doesn’t want to participate then fine. Sit there and do it without her. Eventually she’ll join in. Or she won’t. I mean the other thing you’re new and a rome wasn’t built in a week. Don’t expect much from her. She’s a child experiencing a new experience upon being separated from someone you said doesn’t allow her around many people. That would be scary. Be open be patient be fair be fun.

Ask her what she needs help with taking care of the house like mommy does n how does mommy do this or do that EXPLAINE that She is watching the house for Mommy n wouldn’t she want mommy to be proud of what a big girl she’s becoming and is …good luck n make it fun n stand ur ground too she’s testing you n boundaries but she’s also a little girl who’s mommy and daddy are gone away …scary stuff don’t think for a second that she’s not worried about it

1 Like

Give her.parents a call and have them speak to the little girl then once shes done u speak with them they.obviously have ways they do things whenever I babysit.i asked questions before.they.left.kids r funny.when mom and dad r away.the.mice will play.call them n find out

Without knowing for sure , she sounds like she is around 3 years old . . Common behaviour at that age & yes she is testing you .
The other posters have given great advice

facetime her mom while she acting the fool and let the child and the mom get this resolved then give the phone to the boyfriend as that is her uncle and let him address all it with his sister that is some bs you don’t bring the kid around but you got a trip business or otherwise and expect others to put up with what you created is on some bs

2 Likes

Try coming around yourself on other days… She’ll get to know you a little more and maybe next time it’ll be easier.

I had a wild child in a group I was watching on a field trip, another mom had a crying child. She was snippy with the crying child and I was frustrated with the wild child. I offer to trade. We did. I asked the girl why she was crying. Turned out the simply did not understand the whole field trip thing…thought she was never going to see her mommy again. My point is maybe she just doesn’t understand exactly what is going on.

I worked in daycare for 5 years. Just make healthy meals and if she don’t like it then thats fine. She will see that she will eat it or be hungry if she starts throwing a fit put her in timeout for the amount of minutes she is of age. If she don’t want to take a bath thats fine too. As long as you make her wash her hands after using the restroom and after eating or playing oitside then she will be fine and as long as you are changing her clothes every day. Reward anytime ahe is being good and also when you make the meals bargain with her if she takes 3 bites of each thing then she gets to have or do something fun. She is probably not testing you she is probably very upset about mommy and daddy leaving and little children do not know how to express themselves using words. Whatever you do calling the parents to talk to her will make things worse
She has to know you are in charge right now. You could say of you don’t yell at us and we have a good day we can call mommy and daddy and tell them how good youve been. Calling them for bad behaviour will make her be bad more often because she will get to talk to them. Only call for good behaviour.

1 Like

Ring her parents asap

Ive found working with children that the best way to get them comfortable is to just play… read, get on the floor and engage with whatever toys she has, asks questions about what she likes, ect and use that to help cultivate a relationship.
As for routine tasks such as bath, ect you can set up a small reward system… whatever task she does she gets a reward be it a favorite movie of her choice, a small desert, ect. You could also make a sticker chart and whenever she behaves have her put the sticker on the chart and once she gets enough (for me its 5)… then she gets a reward! Kids really do well with positive reinforcement

Since drop kicking her is not an option give her choices with limitations
i.e. "in 10 mins it’s bath time, think about what toy you want to bring in the bath…then in 5 minutes “almost time…5 minutes did you pick which toy you’re going to play with?”
Bubble bath as a treat if she has it in the house
Eating too…“I’m making lunch/dinner …do u want A or B…” do you want to help?

1 Like

It’s all development/age related.

Ask parents… And make food time into a fun game… Act silly… Just try different things… Make the food healthy but sweeten things up by adding stawberries, bananas… Peanut butter is even a healthy protein… Ask parents…

Your the adult you give her what you eat if she won’t eat it say fine go hungry you can’t let a child walk all over you

U know kids always want attention just pretend to be ignoring her trust me she’ll come running to u when she gets bored of being alone and getting no attention

They sound like pretty shit parents to me

Call the sister - how old is the kid?

3 Likes

She doesn’t bring here around anyone. But she lets you babysit

3 Likes

Turn on some cartoons, fix her a plate and set it on the table and just tell her it’s there, and let her come around. There’s not really much you can do at that age. She’ll eat when she’s hungry.

5 Likes

She is testing boundaries. She knows you two are ‘new’ so she’s trying to get away with what she can. Just stay consistent and she will learn it’s not going to work. Be patient.

7 Likes

She’s probably just missing her parents and acting out because of it. Just keep trying and maybe take her to do something fun, even getting her out to the park or something like that could potentially help also. Good luck!!

4 Likes

Make everything REALLY FUN.

Perhaps you might have discussed the child’s needs and wants before her mother left?
Call mom?

5 Likes

Leave food places. How old is she? Put food on the table and maybe she’ll come around to eating it

Can you take her outside?

Give it time…also don’t ask…tell her “this is for lunch”…“it’s bath time”…she’s not going to starve if she misses a snack, she’s testing you. She wants to see what you’ll tolerate…treat her kindly and she’ll eventually come around…it’s hard when a parent leaves a kid, they don’t get it.

2 Likes

Age would have been helpful to put in the post.

7 Likes

She eats what you make or nothing :joy:
Ad message mum for food ideas n stick to that

I agree just try making things as fun as possible! And sometimes when kids get anxiety it’s best to just not ask too many questions!

How old is the child?

Mark on the calendar how many sleeps it is till mommy gets back, let her cross off each day. Also try to get get her attention on something else before you feed her, tv or read a book and feed her inbetween

It’s on your boyfriend too for his niece not knowing him, not just his sister for not bringing her around, he could visited too. But as to your question, I’m guessing you will have to earn her trust and love. So just be patient and take it slow. Maybe leave the food in places she can get it herself.

Look at it from the child’s perspective, you’re saying her parents basically left her with strangers for a week!? She’s probably confused and terrified. Just be nice and work with her, call mom and ask for tips on what she likes. Put her favorite cartoon on the tv, have a dance party, build a fort and invite her to play? Don’t see it as her misbehaving because I’m sure this week is way harder on her than it will be on you!

11 Likes

She she will eat when she is hungry. Ignore her screams.m

I wouldn’t ask her if she wants juice or food, just offer it. Hopefully it will get easier after a day or two.

1 Like

Let her help with bathing a toy or showing it how to wash in the tub of course. Use your imagination. Ignore her screams she may scream for them too. Do Not get into a fight that becomes a fight on won’t win. Use your imagination.

1 Like

Sounds like a toddler.

She is testing you. Keep up the good work.

It sounds like she misses her mom really bad and is trying to control her environment as much as she can considering that she can’t control that her mom isn’t there.

1 Like

Ask her parents!!! Obvs they know you barely see this kid.

Dont allow her to behave this way. Ignore her and act like it doesnt phase you (the fits) in the mean time, pick movies that her age would like. Offer to play toys with her etc…

Instead of asking her if she wants something to eat or drink just give it to her. Tell her you left some macaroni and cheese and juice at the table if she’s hungry and then just let it go, chances are she will go and eat. Same thing with the bath. Tell her she needs a bath because it’s been X amount of days but let her wash herself and tell her you’re going to stand right in the doorway to make sure she stays safe and if she needs help but if she doesn’t it’s ok. It’s a big transition probably for her parents to be gone and if she doesn’t know you it’s probably a little scary. Her trust is more important than her perfect hygiene. As long as she’s getting some type of bath, it doesn’t matter how good it is for a week. When this week is over you guys should make it a point to go over there more often even if it’s just an hour so that she gets used to you. Stranger danger is real thing and should be taken seriously. You can’t force her to be comfortable with you but you can do your best to not overwhelm her.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I would ask the kids what do you usually eat when Mommy is here? IF ridiculous ‘are you sure?’ Should I call Mommy and ask? Mine were mostly lunch and dinner and parents gave me advice on what they fed them. I was prepared. No choices just make waffles and give her juice or milk. Waffles can be put in toaster to heat up if need be. Bath time…Mommy said bath time is ‘whatever time’ so get your bath toys ready. Maybe bubble bath? Makes bath more fun. Be fun, play a game with her, cartoons etc. Read a book to her. Sit on floor and play with animals. She might want join in. Or see her animals like you.

Ask her how mommy does this or that, to show you how mommy does bath time, or her favorite meal that mommy makes? It has to be huge to be away from her mom if she has no experience with it. I’m no expert but I would try to make it as much like it is when mommy is there as possible. Best wishes!

Not surprised her mother is cruel leaving her with strangers family or not.

Treat her like your own. Have fun. Dont offer food just make it and let her eat or not. Depends how old she is but I’m sure she’s just adjusting to new people. Even not new parents leaving is always hard. Of it’s not something they are use to.