Tips on helping a one year old fall asleep and stay asleep?

1 month or 1 year it is stated both…. Not being mean or anything just confused :thinking:

8 Likes

1 year old or 1 month old🤷🏽‍♀️

5 Likes

She’s a MONTH old. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: She wants to be held and comforted… honestly, this kinda thing irritates me. Get a sling, wear her. SHES BRAND NEW to this chaotic world. You CANT SPOIL A BABY.

22 Likes

It is good for them to cry. Check on her from time to time. Talk to her, and walk away for a little while. Then go back . Pick her up for a small time, feed her, change her. Lay her down until she learns to be by herself.

14 Likes

Get a baby wrap so she can be close to you while you do chores. Try a rocker/swing. Place a shirt of yours close to her (worked with my daughter when her dad was gone). Also, chores can wait. Ask for help with chores if you’re able but if not then wait until she is awake and entertained for the time being while you work on chores. That was the easiest way for me to complete house duties.

2 Likes

Its ok for them to cry sometimes.

4 Likes

One year or one month? :thinking:

2 Likes

Google the sleep safe 7. She’s a month old. They go through so many growth spurts. I promise if you Google the sleep safe 7, you’ll both sleep.

1 Like

It’s normal behavior. You could try “The No Cry Sleep Solution”

She’s a month old she wants to be comforted by her mother try swaddling her and not being able to get your chores done with a one month old is normal you need to get a routine set up with her and also try white noise

6 Likes

With my youngest, he was always fussy whenever he wasn’t held. I had to use a big teddy bear, lay him on it and it mimicked him laying in my chest. I also would swaddle as much as I could even if he was just going to nap it helped keep him happy.

1 Like

The answers will be different if she is one year or one month. 🤷

3 Likes

I’m confused…header says one year old but post says one month…

3 Likes

You can sleep & crib train at 4 months. I did the Ferber method & shes been in her crib ever since (shes 14months now) the first 4 months she slept in her bassinet next to me. We do safe sleep

1 year old? Or 1 month old?

Wow my one year old just started doing this as well! She had been doing good sleeping all night y

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
Babies grow up we’ve learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep

This was stitched on a pillow my sister had many years ago… I’ve thought it many times while raising my kids and now my grandkids

6 Likes

Love her up mama. She is so new to this world, and is still in a state of “womb” mind. They are only this little for a short time. Remember, the house work will always be there, but these moments will be gone in a blink of an eye. I Boba wrapped my littles when I had to do laundry, or minor things around the house. But, the rest could wait. You are an amazing mama, and right now just focus on healing, and snuggling your little one. Best of luck to you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

One or one month?

If she’s a month old, HI YES HELLO, DUH SHE NEEDS YOU, DUH YOU CAN’T DO CHORES. Like, what, did you think having a new born would let you sleep? Lol. They literally have to eat every twoish hours, even at night yes. She’ll get the hang of things around 6 months.

2 Likes

i wear my new baby on a sling whilst i clean or bring her to every room in her chair with me n i sing to her she settles quiet quickly aslong as im close to hee

1 Like

Mines 12 weeks n he just started sleeping 5.5hrs at night! He still gets up after that n needs a bottle every 2 to 3 hrs

She is getting used to a whole new world, hold and comfort and screw the dishes. My son couldn’t sleep laying completely flat, he slept in the car seat propped up. Either that or I folded and tucked a towel UNDER the sheet of the bassinet, safely prop him up. He was a premmie and his tummy was an issue until he was almost a year old.

Let her sleep with you enjoy every moment … catch up on rest with her too …chores can wait the bonding is more important

3 Likes

How do you lay her down? On her back? I know everyone recommends that, but every baby is different. My daughter didn’t like when I put her to sleep on her back…she would cry and scream. When I decided to try her on her stomach, that did the trick. She preferred that and slept well every night after :heart:

2 Likes

Have u tried swaddling her?

If she’s a month, I would recommend a sling. If she’s a year and not sleeping through the night, maybe cut down on naps, put her to sleep later or wake her up earlier. If she’s not sleeping through naps, I would see if her bedtime is too early or if she’s getting up late in the morning. Over all I would recommend a comfort item.

2 Likes

Keep the room warmer. Shut the vent from the air conditioning… They sleep better being warm. Are you using a sound barrier? Noise defuser?

I have a 5 yr old and a 5 weeks old my house is a mess and the baby doesn’t like a sling but will sit in a bouncer just do what u can while u can, my baby still wakes off an on all night and wants to be held just soak it up the firat 1 yr is a blur and the time goes so quick

1 Like

I would bake cupcakes with my daughter on my hip
Yeah hold all day … forget about chores

1 Like

Mine 2nd didn’t sleep good until he hit 4 months :woman_facepalming: cherish these moments as difficult as it is sometimes it is worth it and the first year goes by way too fast

She’s a month old. Her body hurts from growing pains. Everything is new to her.

Love that baby up, what the hell? Get a sling, and work around your baby.

7 Likes

My son would only sleep in his swing and I would use the night time bath and the night time soothing lotion

Confused if child is one year old (in header) or 1 month old ?
If child is one month old you’ll need to allow your child to grow older before you can expect to have them sleep for long blocks of time without your soothing, rocking, feeding, etc

5 Likes

Ticking clock under bedding or pillow it acts as a heart beat

I’m confused by the title n question. One says 1 year one says 1 month. I had to put my now 3 month old in her swing for awhile n just let her sleep there til she got up again to eat n then she’d sleep in bed with me. During the day I’ll hold her while I vacuum or wear her when I have to do something else, but I still don’t get anything done during the day. I try I really do but chores aren’t worth a fussy baby. Luckily tho I have two older kids that help around the house when I ask, even if it only gets done a few days a week. My littlest also ABSOLUTELY refuses to sleep on her back for more than 5 min. I lost a months sleep doing the back bs n trying to get her used to it like everyone kept telling me she would be n she just WASNT having it. So she sleeps on her belly like my other 4 did 🤷 so what’s worked for me is sleeping on belly, sleeping with me, sleeping in the swing while it’s on and playing music

Maybe try swaddling, or a sleep sack. Your little one went from being in your belly, and being in your arms is the next closest thing to comfort for them. Then being put in a crib that’s so big can cause them to not sleep well. They’re wanting to be close and cuddled. Swaddling will give your little one that feeling of being held while in the crib. I also suggest going to the chiropractor. That did wonders for all of mine. They’re curled up in a ball for 9 months and then come right on out and some babies have a harder time if their little bodies don’t go into place, which can also cause a lot of fussiness and sometime colic. My oldest would only sleep in her swing. I would just try some different things to see if there’s something that can help. Also read about the 4th trimester :purple_heart:

1 Like

I used to turn on a nightlight & soft music for mine. Also my last girl is a stomachache sleeper. She will not sleep on her back. Good luck sweetie. It will get better soon

Fill a glove with rice and lay it on her while sleeping, adds comfort of thinking thinking your hand is on her.

1 Like

NyQuil is the solution. :+1:

7 Likes

It’s a sensitive topic, but I will gently suggest that although there’s a lot of peer pressure and social pressure against it, babies are the only mammals who can’t survive without their mothers for about a year after birth. I favor co-sleeping. I have two grown, married children, and they have no problems from being raised that way. I also got way more sleep.

10 Likes

Whether one year or one month, get a baby carrier. My kids had countless naps on my chest or back until they were too big to carry, and I got all the chores done.

5 Likes

Use a receiving blanket to swaddle her and roll another and put just barely behind her so she fills safe and like someone touching her

2 Likes

If your child is one, give them a banana before bed. Helps my son sleep through the night. Don’t ask me how or why. It just does.
If your child is 1 month, absolutely do not give them a banana. And get used to them being like that for the next year. Do not do anything to try and get a one month old to sleep through the night. They wake up for a reason.

Follow Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep . This is completely normal and you baby will want to sleep with you and on you for at least I’d say a year. Please follow a sleep safe page rather than listening to half this advice. Safe Sleep and Baby Care – Evidence Based Support

Baby first. Chores can wait.

3 Likes

They don’t sleep for months for very long at a time

1 Like

Look up the 4th trimester. Hire a cleaner or forget the cleaning they are only tiny for a very short time.

2 Likes

Oh for goodness sake. You have a brand new baby. Chores can wait till she settles into a routine and it will happen …until then keep baby close. Wrap her up in a sling or carrier and work round her. Congratulations :tada:

8 Likes

Swaddling really works! They actually make a lol swaddling receiving blanket if you don’t know how to swaddle without. Also they make lol battery operated teddies and crib attachments with heartbeat sounds. Works wonders. Baby feels safe and cuddled just like in mommas arms. Good luck. It will get easier day by day.

1 Like

Get a baby sling or just don’t clean for a month or two. Do try leaving her in the crib awake for a bit if you can. I used to have the Moses basket near me when doing chores which meant mine could still see me which also worked. An old lady told me that when their eyebrows go red they need to sleep. I used this to predict sleep and naps and found mine would fuss for a few minutes then fall asleep by themselves in their cot.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Tips on helping a one year old fall asleep and stay asleep? - Mamas Uncut

I would take her to a paediatrician. He will tell you exactly what to do. I’ve done that with my babies. Never had any problems with restless babies. All the best🥰

Make sure the baby has a clean diaper, a full belly and is comfortable. Maybe she needs to be snuggled in a blanket. Maybe hearing ur voice reassuring her will do the trick. I rocked and sang to my baby for the first year of her life. She loved it and I loved it. Chores can wait. Ur just maintaining anyway. Once she turned one, she no longer wanted me to rock her in my arms. She wanted to go to sleep on her own. That was really hard to believe. She was ready. Nearly 10 years later, I still sing to her at bedtime. I know one day soon, she won’t want it anymore. Enjoy it while it lasts cause it goes by super fast. :heartpulse:

35 Likes

I heard putting a shirt that has your scent on it in the crib and laying her on it helps them sleep cause it smells like you. Maybe try that

8 Likes

They do grow up so fast. Cherish every minute. The cleanliness of the house won’t be a favorite memory. I’m a grandma. I loved visits to grandparents and aunts, camping trips, vacations in Michigan, Mom teaching me to sew, playing cards, Sunday school, talking with me, etc.

19 Likes

She misses you. She is only one month old. Get a baby carrier and strap her close to your chest while you do some work. She will feel more secure and fuss less. Just make sure she is positioned safely and her breathing us unimpeded.

20 Likes

She might do better swaddled, if you’re not already doing that. But I agree with others. Cuddle and hold your baby as much as you can. She will grow up so fast. One day you’ll wonder where the time went. Tomorrow, we are celebrating our firstborn’s 50th birthday. Where did the time go???

22 Likes

Mama, chores can wait. Snuggle that baby as much as you can❤ I would get my son all set up in a safe place, or put him in his Walker and I would do the chores. He would hang out with me in the kitchen. Follow me around the house. My son was a horrible sleeper unless he was next to me until he was about 3. And yes, I co slept. And I’d do it again and again and again. Now he is 8, healthy, excellent sleeper, and a good kid.

5 Likes

It’s a 1 month old’s instinct to cry to be held, it’s a survival mechanism to prevent falling prey to animals or insects. Trick her long enough to wash a few dishes or take a shower by putting her in a safe baby swing. The motion tells her brain she’s safe. This goes for baby slings and carriers that you wear, the motion allows her to sleep while you make a sandwich or tidy up. Swaddling also helps in that the pressure on her little body mimics your arms around her while she’s held. So motion, pressure, and warmth are what allows her to believe she’s being held, therefore safe.

7 Likes

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow for babies grow up we’ve learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep because I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep. Raised my son by this poem.

21 Likes

I used a baby bjorn with my daughter when she was that age. I would put her in and do my chores. She may like to be swaddled too. Have you tried wrapping her in a tight blanket to go to sleep?

3 Likes

A long time ago. When I was a baby. My dad would hold me and rock me to sleep. As soon as they laid me down. I would wake up. They started warming up a towel on the heater. Placed that down just before laying me down. I slept through the night.

12 Likes

Keep them on the same routine day by day. Bedtime always the same. Talk to her in calm voice and just stay there for her to get started drinking her bottle then just slip out. Let her fuss a little its not hurting her. The bedtime routine helps alot. Give her a blanket or teddy bear to cuddle.

3 Likes

I had 1 that seldom closed her eyes or mouth for months. I know how u feel. Please take her to pediatrician & make sure she’s ok—could be milk or some other medical issue….you can get advice from your doc. Good luck. One day when she’s a grandmother you’ll laugh & wish she was a baby yo hold in your arms again.

7 Likes

Wrap her in something that has your scent on it your gown or her blanket where she feels safe like she was in the womb. It works.

Enjoy it while you can. But when you’ve had a rough day. It’s ok to wash, change and feed the little one and go get your headphones and listed to some music. Just 15 minutes will destress you and you will love all the cuddles and piles of dirty clothes. Because that means you baby if there with you. And they grow up so fast!

1 Like

Enjoy it while you can honey. The chores will always be there every day. But those sweet precious moments wont.

1 Like

You may want to create a special time with her. For example a warm bath for her with lavender followed by a sun bath through a sunny windo while playing gentle music. She will be asleep in no time. I did this with my daughter and granddaughter and it worked like a charm. Try to do it at the same time each day. I just put her on a mat and left her there for sleep. You could encase the pad with a baby triangle gate.:blush:

Swaddling does help. White noise and possibly putting her down before she is asleep.
However, it won’t last forever. Hold her as much as you can.

9 Likes

I think it is best to put them down before they go to sleep ,stay there with them untill they are asleep.I believe why they wake after you put them down is because they wake to something different.They we’re in your arms when going to sleep then they disturb and they are in a different place

A little lavender on her blanket sure help it very relaxing scent they sell the baby wash in lavender .

I put a blanket under my children while snuggling them. When they fell asleep I put them in the crib on the blanket. They didn’t realize I put them in the crib and stayed asleep

1 Like

Make sure she does not have an ear infection. Watch which side of her head she lays against you when you hold her. Good luck

1 Like

Let her cry it out sometimes they need to and don’t hold her so much eventually she will stop then us an app called Moshi it’s stories & light soft music I’ve been using it for yrs for my granddaughter she is now 10 and still uses it !

5 Likes

Idk if this helps, but my daughter favorited being swaddled, or using blankets as pillows/neck and whole body support (basically rolling up a small blanket, in a noodle shape.) She never liked to sleep on her back, only her side, so I would set up the blanket with one end between her legs, and the other end under her neck

The chores can wait - baby snuggles only have a short shelf life. We had special fairy spray that smelled of lavender which helped our prince to fall asleep sooner but still allows that last snuggle of the day

She is a newborn!!! They want to be held they feel secure. It will get better!! I promise!

1 Like

Wait, is she one YEAR, or one MONTH? The post is conflicting.
For one month old, I suggest a ghost feed (so even if she’s only ate 1.5 or 2 hours ago and is exhausted or practically asleep, feed her an oz.) and then a good minute of burping, a fresh dry diaper and dry pj’s (I suggest the zipper ones with the hand foldy mits,) and then lay her in her crib/bassinet on her back with a binky, hit the lights (a warm night light is nice tho,) and rest your hand on her chest/tummy for two minutes, swaddled if she’s still OK with that.
For a one year old, I have no idea, as my little one ain’t there yet so I have no real life experience to share with ya.

1 Like

sometimes you just have to let them ry it out my mom did that to me when the crying stoped she went in tocheck on me i had got my wrist caught in the top corner of the crib i was hanging there by my arm fast asleep mom felt terible but it worked

1 Like

I made sure to have a receiving blanket with my daughter when she fell asleep with me so when I slowly put her in her crib and she could smell me on the blanket.

My pediatrician said put that baby down and let her cry. Do not pick her up. She will learn . Keep her on a schedule or you will lose your sanity!

Make sure she has a full belly, yes, I spoiled mine too. Let her cry probably will take minimally 30 minutes and less than one weeks time. It has to be done. Yes your still a great mom.

4th trimester is all about mommy bonding. Soak it up. Screw the chores.

1 Like

Take the time to Rock and sing her to sleep… the memories of the chores will fade but the bond you create with her will last forever…:revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

I had a recorder many moons ago (1974) and recorded me reading a story and in-between pages I would add in “I love you!”

1 Like

Wrap her up in a sheet if hot blanket in winter wrap her firmly arms as well. Lay her on her side and that should do it. If you need help with it yell out. Could put a week pillow behind her so she feels something. There are little items you can buy now as comforters. I’ll get a pic off my granddaughter if you like.

Try the little bundle bags to put her in and gently put her in bed. If she wakes let her been for 5 min.

Try baby lullabies on Pandora. Music soothes the soul and will help them sleep

Just rock her and sing …One day you look back at that precious time …
Grow up so fast…
House chores always be there …

Chores come second when you have a baby. Wrap her tightly and put one of your shirts in the cot with her. Get a weighted hand thing that feels like your hand on her, so she feels safe.

My children would not sleep in a crib but would sleep in regular bed I had 4 none ever slept in a crib

There’s a comfort blanket that supports toddlers and babies that don’t sleep
it’s. Heavy and provides psychological support for them we used that on my grandson and he eventually stayed asleep it’s called a weighted blanket hope this helps

Feed her. Just before you put her down make sure she has warm milk in her tummy…

When you lay her in her crib flip her over put her feet on the end that her head was, it worked for me, a Belgium way.

Swaddle in a blanket so when you put baby down movements dosent wake baby up.

Maybe have a radio playing low, instrumental music when you put her to bed. Just a thought. Is she one month or one year old? First you say one month, then one year.

Wrap em tight & put a clock in the crib…the ticking of clock will help.

2 Likes

One month or one year? Those are two vastly different ages with different needs.

My grandson had same problem. We put a Radio on near the bed. Fell asleep in no time.

YouTube has A TON of baby lullaby tunes to put most babies to sleep… or in a few special cases, hours of vacuuming videos that put baby’s to sleep too