*Trigger Warning* How can I manage my postpartum depression?

Any moms out there dealing with postpartum depression? I had a stillbirth at 24 weeks two months ago, and my depression is horrible. I find myself dreaming of my son, crying hysterically. Any tips for me? I am on medication for it and no help.

70 Likes

I am so sorry for you loss :frowning:
I would strongly recommend going to see your doctor again, and asking for a med change, and speak to a psychologist

1 Like

Call your dr. Seek therapy

1 Like

Thats terrible. I worry about that with this pregnancy. I don’t know why, she’s healthy and active, but I know a lot of women that have experienced such a huge loss like that. My heart breaks for you. Call your doctor and ask for a referral to a therapist and if you feel its bad enough to need meds Id even go as far as asking for a prescribing psychiatrist. Ive been seeing one for 2 years now over Zoom and it has helped tremendously with my PTSD. Good luck and hang in there.

1 Like

I found out my baby was dead on Thursday and I just miscarried it last night. I feel so depressed right now and I was nowhere near as far along as you were. I am so sorry for your loss :sparkling_heart: just know that you are not alone. My doctor suggested support groups. Speak to your doctor about and possibly a psychologist. I totally understand your pain :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

If your medication is not helping you should tell your doctor and try a different medication. They all work a little differently and some will help some people and others will help other people. Also ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist. And talk to people you trust around you about how you feel! if you feel like you can’t do that, look for a support group near you. it will get better. I am so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. Speak to your doctor yes but there’s also support groups on Facebook where you can speak to mums who have gone through this. Sometimes speaking to others who have had the same happen to them is a huge help. Not everyone understands the pain.

Sending all my love to you :black_heart:

Counseling. Or reach out to the health department and they can set you up with a support group. At least that’s what they do here in Utah.

1 Like

Call your doctor. Seek out professional help. They can help you find a therapist to talk to, that may help more than medication.

Talk to a grieving counselor. It’s not all post partum depression, you are also grieving a loss of a child. Sending prayers.

2 Likes

Op please don’t hesitate to message me.
Medication will not help in this case, you’re wasting your time.
What you’re feeling isn’t a chemical imbalance. It’s real, raw feelings caused by a very real and traumatic situation.
Find yourself a group of moms with similar situations, if you don’t feel up to going out to a support group, create a group chat with those women, and sometimes even men need to be a part of it. Find people who will really let you share. That was the biggest help for me when I lost my triplets. Finding people who would look at the pictures with me. Finding people who knew words didn’t make it better. But that sometimes a hug and “you’ll get through this” was all that could be done.
The medication will only keep any chemical imbalances under wraps, it is not going to treat the raw feelings you’re having. I am speaking from experience.

5 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss mama! See you Dr. again for sure and see about adjusting meds. But my biggest suggestion is to search out local loss groups or organizations that specialize in pregnancy and infant loss. You can also call the hospital in which you were at and ask them for resources. Many times these programs include 1on1 counseling at no or very low cost. For me this was invaluable and the meds just helped me remain a bit more stable in between sessions and while doing the emotional work. We’re coming up on 5 years and I’m not going to lie, there are still extremely hard days/weeks.

I am sorry for your loss :pensive: therapy will help.

My therapist was 1000% more helpful than any medication I tried.

As said above, please see a therapist. And your doctor. I had some ppd, and I was on meds too. Mine wasn’t bad enough to seek much help, but if it’s that bad, please seek help. It will be very beneficial for you, imo. I’m so sorry for your loss!

I lost my daughter at 36 weeks back in October, if therapy is something you’re open to I definitely recommend it. Also there’s loss support groups on Facebook that have helped me a ton. The first few months were the hardest for me, but I promise you got this! praying for you mama💜

1 Like

Can you find out what happened to your child? Was it heart defect or another? I chromosomal? It might be hard to to ask these questions from your pregnancy doctor it might give you peace of mind as to healing and bereavement support groups for miscarriages and stillborn other parents support is also help. Any crying or going through the motions of taking care of the baby might be soothing nobody has a right to tell you how to grieve or how long to grieve just make sure you don’t put yourself or anyone else other children at risk. This is such a devastating loss my condolences to your baby.

You need to seek out therapy cause medication will only help to an extent with this traumatic event

I am so sorry you had to go through that. Sending love and peace

Ur welcome to inbox me I’ve been through the same . U need to contact ur doctor hun good luck please stay strong it doesn’t get easier but it’s definitely more manageable through time and counselling x

No advice. Just wanted to say how sorry I am.

Ask for a different dose possibly…
So sorry for your loss…

I’m sorry honey, what I would suggest is to find a professional to talk to. You can’t really numb those feelings bc it’s only going to suppress them and make It worse. You’re better off going to a professional so you can cry and talk your feelings out.

Therapy!! Self care!! Walks!! Yoga!! Essential oils!! Hot baths!!! Pedicure!! Massage!! Girl time… I’m sorry for your loss♥️

I had it pretty bad. I started taking CBD oil and it helped a lot

I would recommend therapy of some sort. Your OB might be able to refer you. I lost my daughter at a day old 3 years ago and therapy helped me so much. I still use what I learned to this day! I am so sorry you are going through this. Please feel free to message me if you need someone :heart:

I’m so sorry for your loss.
Run, or walk, and drink lots of water.
Make yourself go, don’t listen to anything.
You have to physically get out of your head.
Find someone who can drag your ass out of the house to go.

Working out, seek grief counseling with an experienced counselor, meditation, and some self care. I’m so so sorry momma. Sending lots of love your way.

Talk to your dr. Maybe they can give you a different medication, and also seek therapy. Whether it be through a person or personal. Go into nature and hike, it helps to just be around good scenery to help clear your mind.

Autumn Matthews can you think of anything?

I have no advice but to not bottle it up. Talk to a friend or do self videos just to vocalize the hurt and fear. Seek therapy and find new things to learn and do. Exercise maybe or craft or garden. Just to stay busy and feel less stuck. I wish you nothing but hope that someday this pain will not feel so suffocating and all consuming.

Counseling. Journaling helped me a lot. I just let the rage and helplessness flow into the page since I felt so alone and unable to share with anyone around. They truly did not know the depth of the depression until I was through it and could open up. My doctors didn’t even know and to think back I should have been hospitalized because it went from PPD to PPP.

Don’t be afraid to talk about as much as you need to. I miscarried very early on in on of my pregnancies, and of course it was my first pregnancy. It was devastating :cry: but it did get better with time. You will never completely get over it but time does help. But I have never lost a child that far into my pregnancy, so I don’t know exactly what you are going through. Don’t be afraid to go and see a professional and see what else they would suggest

I had a stillborn in 2016 (1st child) when I was 41 weeks & 2 days. What helped me was getting an autopsy done which helped ALOT, talking about it as much as possible & not to bottle anything in. My SO & I also tried counselling a few times as well. We had memorials done for him & celebrate his bday every year. U won’t ever “get over it” & some days r harder than others but keeping the memory alive of ur little one will b the best thing. Hopefully that helps a little

Therapy/counseling if you’re ready and wanting to.

Hugs mama❤️

talk it out and cry it out,you will fel a little comfort,sorry for your loss

Therapy is a huge help for sure. Finding the right meds and dose is important too. Also try and find a support group. :heart:

1 Like

All I have for you is a virtual hug. I’m so sorry for your pain. :heart::pray:t2:

1 Like

This is not post partum depression. This is grief and trauma. So sorry for your loss. Therapy with someone who specializes in grief and trauma will be helpful.

13 Likes

Let yourself have emotions, let them out, take care of yourself, get some depression medication from your dr to help get through this rough time :heartbeat::heartbeat: most of all take care of yourself :heart: prayers and thoughts for you sweetheart

Might be cuz I watch too much long island medium :joy: but I would say that’s your son trying to tell you hes ok but I agree with everyone going to a counselor would be best and talking to your dr. I’m so sorry for your loss :heart:

1 Like

No advice, just sending you a virtual hug. :heart:

1 Like

Sending you :heart:. That’s part of the grieving process. Speak to a counselor who specializes in the loss of a child.

I’m sorry, I have no advice just wanted to tell you how very sorry that this tragedy has occurred and how brave and strong that you must be to reach out for help and tell your story. Prayers and hugs to you and your partner :heart::raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

If that med is not helping. Go to the Dr and tell them this one is not helping I need another kind. They have to have you on the right medication. If you can go out BY YOURSWLF for at least 30min go ahead. Have someone to help you w the Kids. It is hard on our own.

Sending you hugs!!! I’m praying for you! :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Please tell the Dr that the medicine isn’t working. Sometimes u have to try a couple before u find the right one for you. Meanwhile stay close to someone who loves you. Look at all the ppl here that are reaching out. Just take it day by day. Sending love & prayers :two_hearts:

Look for a support group as well. Maybe even if they are meeting virtually. Give yourself time to heal and talk to a therapist. I am working through a book/journal called grieving the child I never knew

This is grief and trauma, not PPD and if a Dr told you that’s what you have then shame on them!

Grief isn’t something you can block out with pills. You need therapy. Counselling. Support groups of parents in your situation. Talk to friends. Family, hell even strangers on the internet. Just talk. Don’t keep it all built up and don’t try to mask the pain because that’s not dealing with it and you won’t get better is you try mask it. It will take time, and will be difficult but you will get there with the right help and support. Best of luck :green_heart:

I am so sorry. Sending you countless prayers and hugs :heart:

Therapy and talk to your doc about your meds. They may need to be adjusted.

Sending you a big hug from New Zealand. :two_hearts:

Talking to someone will help lift a little weight off your shoulders more than medication some times. A part of healing is confronting and facing those traumas. Im so so so sorry for your loss. Sending comforting healing vibes your way, stranger :yellow_heart:

Pray mama it well never stop hurting but God can bring the peace to your :heart: