Was I in the wrong for refusing to go back to my in laws house?

For Thanksgiving we were at my fiances parents house and his step mom asked if my son knew how to play a Nintendo switch. I said no, I don’t allow him to play video games. (He’s only 6). Christmas rolls around and they get him a couple different things then his step mom goes up stairs and comes down with a cardboard box with a used xbox 360 and rated R video games and gives it to my son… My fiance explains to them that they knew he wasn’t allowed to have video games yet and said we were upset they did that. His dad responds with “I don’t care if you guys are upset about it, every little boy needs to play video games”. They also have a dog that was trying to bite my son in the face and i noticed it did it when my son would get excited and try to run around. So i would say my sons name to get his attention and shake my head no at him. My fiances dad comes up to me and says “you cant yell at him for everything, hes a kid”. Later the dog grabs my son by the shirt and drags him, his step mom watched the dog do it and just told her husband what the dog did. They didnt correct the dog or put it outside. I told my fiance I refuse to go back there until they can respect me. Am I in the wrong? What should I do? Is my relationship going to fail because of his parents apparently not liking me?

31 Likes

Kids these days get enough indoctrination into video games. Waiting until your son is older is wise. Your future has in laws are not listening to the two of you on parenting and they really don’t seem too concerned for your son. I personally would not go back to visit them and neither would my son. The game she brought down for him was totally inappropriate. My children are my first concern…always! Your fiancee can decide to see them or not but they are his parents; he may want to keep that connection going but until his parents listen to your rules and agree with you, then the little guy should not be taken there either. If they want a relationship, ask them to come to your home- without the dog and abide by your rules.

17 Likes

I mean I got my son a switch for his 6th birthday. I don’t personally have an issue with it and just get him age appropriate games. But I think his parents doing that when you said no and his dad’s reaction were really disrespectful and I can’t believe they didn’t do anything with the dog. Your fiancé needs to be the one to set boundaries with them.

9 Likes

Your requests and concerns are not outrageous, as his parent you are his voice. He doesn’t need people in his life like that and if it ruins your relationship with your fiancé better to see his true colors now before you are married. You and your son don’t belong anyplace you feel uncomfortable or disrespected. Good luck mama.

7 Likes

You’re setting boundaries, there’s nothing wrong with that. I do think you could have been more direct with your son and even explained the reasoning for no running/jumping around to him, it would’ve saved you the breath. But otherwise; no, you’re not in the wrong and from the sounds of it, your fiance is on your side and he defended you and your boundaries to them. I don’t think your relationship is doomed just because your in-laws don’t know how to respect boundaries (i wouldnt even say they dont like you, this is a normal grandparent thing). Take some time away from them if needed, let it sink in with them that you’re the parent, they need to respect your wishes as the parent, OR if you think they’ll listen, sit them down without your son around and talk to them about it.

13 Likes

Your son, your rules, if you said no video games. It means no. I wouldn’t go there or let my son go over there too

4 Likes

Hopefully you sound like a handful!

1 Like

Should have told your son not to run because of the dog. Yes yours in laws should have put the dog in another room but it’s their house their rules. But the Nintendo I would have left it there and I wouldn’t go back until they apologized and agree to what your rules for your son are.

2 Likes

If they’ll act this way in the open, just imagine what little things they’ll hide in the future. Stand your ground.

4 Likes

Someone gave my oldest twins a playstation my 3 with over 30 games 3 Christmas’s ago.
We’ve only used it to play movies on bc I don’t want my kids playing video games.

I told them this before they gave it to them. And yet they did it anyways.

2 Likes

Your fiancé needs to put his foot down with his parents. Make it clear that if they cannot respect your wishes on how you raise your son; they won’t be seeing him.

Also, the dog needs to be shut in another room when you’re there for the safety of your child

2 Likes

His parents seem like a$$holes and I would not go back at all and my son wouldn’t be going there either.

No you’re not wrong. Your job is to protect your son. Since your fiance seems to be on your side, I don’t think you will have any problems with him. Next time invite the in-laws to your house. If they continue to give inappropriate gifts, then maybe further measures need to be taken. You and your fiance should discuss options and decide on what you want to do.

You did the right thing. #1 they don’t respect your choices as a parent. #2 they don’t care about your child’s safety. I feel it would be irresponsible for you to take your child back to that home.

You’re fiancé will have to choose between his parents and you….he either needs to stick up for you because you and your son is the family he is building or else if not you need to leave. My MIL hates me and she came in between my husband and I many times. He used to agree with her and undermine me all the time to the point our marriage crumbled several times. I did finally make him choose between me or her. He finally stood up to her. It was hard and ugly. But the choice he had to make. You are not engaged to his parents and he isn’t engaged to his parents. Y’all are engaged to each other only and must figure out how to make it work together or else you’re relationship will fail.

just wow , i wouldn’t go back, i don’t go to places or people that makes me uncomfortable and endanger my kids!! hell no. remember that the only thing u ever have to do in life… is die…nothing else… you not obligated to go there.

1 Like

The fact that you said no and then your husband said it again and they said, “I don’t care,…” I would have left in that moment. I said no, I’m the parent. End of story. I allow our eldest to play video games, but like Minecraft, not rated mature games. The utter disrespect is the problem, they should not be telling you how to parent your children.

4 Likes

I’m a wee bit confused on the whole video game thing. R rated video games? Lol. No such thing. Mature? Yes. My son has been playing video games since he was 4, there’s nothing wrong with children video games. At all. Let him be a kid. The dog? Yea I’d be annoyed but the dog was probably just trying to play.

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to fail it will be very hard. Good on you for setting boundaries. Good on him for speaking up to them.

Thanks for the gift? We will keep it until the child is much, much older. You’re never going back over there because? They didn’t put up the dog? Or they didn’t yell at the dog? If your son has no idea about video games because you’ve never exposed him to to them? Then he won’t know what he’s missing by getting the secondhand gift? Just put the gift up in the closet. No need to freak out!

3 Likes

I’m confused about the relationships. Is this child your child from a previous relationship or yours with your “fiance”? Why is there a “too young” to play video games? Was the dog just reactive to your son’s activity and not actually being aggressive? Maybe you need to loosen up. He’s six, not two. If it’s about control, don’t go back. Invite them to your house instead, then you get to dictate what goes on.

Don’t go the dog could bite him and they don’t seem like they care let them come to your house x

i think your over reacting to the video game thing.
as far as the dog situation goes, yah id be pissed!

That dog could have hurt your son! I would have left the first time it tried to bite

You are the correct one :woman_shrugging:t2:

The minute anyone ever says “I don’t care what you think, I’m doing it anyways” regarding my child will never be given the chance to ever see my kid ever again. That’s disrespectful as fuck and you’re not gonna decide shit, if I say no to something and you go out and buy them that anyways, sucks you wasted your money take it back or learn to listen and respect boundaries. Not my fault you’re an adult who can’t listen.

Uhhh you shouldn’t go back, just for dog alone. If they won’t put the dog up while you’re there, firstly!
I have no advice for the rest :persevere:. Sucks to have family that doesn’t respect you.

Instead of just being petty and not going there anymore how about maybe try to talk to them? They are still his grandparents and they will not be around forever. It’s hard to confront people but just try to be calm and level headed and use facts when you talk. Hopefully you guys can come to an understanding. I know if it were me I would hate to walk away without making sure I did everything I could to make sure my son could have a relationship with his dads parents.