We rescue a dog that we are having issues training: Advice?

For the chewing, don’t leave the clothes where the dog can get them. It’s a little dog, that part shouldn’t be hard.

3 Likes

First you took on a neglected and abused older dog - may not have ever had any type of care or structure. It’s not like training a new puppy. The dog needs to be untrained and retrained. Not a task for someone with no experience should try to take on alone. You need to contact someone for help - try by looking into the rescue that was helping the hoarding situation to start with.

4 Likes

Oh Lord poor dog, firstly he was in a hell home and then he “found” you. Traumatised dogs have no idea about house training or what’s chewable. WALK your Yorkie. Get up and take him a walk, 4 or 5 times a day, he will toilet on the walk ,praise him, repeat repeat repeat. I’ve had shut down rescue dogs ,it takes time to teach them new ways,but the rewards are endless. Yorkies were bred to kill rats, how do you occupy him? Is he just wandering round the house looking for mischief? He needs interaction with you and your family, and training when others visit. Personally I wish the dog luck.

5 Likes

Why would you adopt an older, rescued dog if you can’t care for him properly?

6 Likes

You should have never taken the dog to begin with pets are not possessions to be throw away when you are “done” with them :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Either have a trainer come to the house to work with you and your husband, or send the dog away to be trained.
You DO NOT get to just dump him because YOU have failed as a teacher. FIGURE IT OUT.

4 Likes

If the husband wants to keep the dog, then HE needs to take reasonability for all the training and cleaning.

If husband refuses to take on the responsibility that is rightfully his, there is nothing wrong with you rehoming the dog, despite all the judgemental people here insisting that you should keep it at the expense of your own mental health. You tried. It’s too much. It’s ok to let go and give the dog to someone who can handle the special issues at hand.

6 Likes

It’s not gonna change. I have the same issue. I am lucky to have a backyard so I leave him outside when I am gone but at night he goes in the cage. And I got mine since he was a puppy and he was raised with another dog that was already house trained and he is still a dirty dog. He shits where he sleep with no issue…It has been a nightmare. He is now 9y and still the same.

I would suggest to keep him out most of the time and probably bring him inside periodically. Once he gets used to of pooping and peeing outside he won’t do it in the house. That’s how we trained our doggies. But the weather was better around that time now it’s too hot to keep the dogs outside where I live. :exploding_head::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Maybe have one room it can stay in like the kitchen with puppy training pads for a while till he goes on the training pads, then slowly keep moving the training pads towards the door with the wee on it so it smells it, then slowly get the training pads outside with his wee on so he goes outside then in a while take the training pads away, if it goes anywhere else just when its let in the house tell it off and send it back into the kitchen and make sure you get rid of all smells in the house where it has been else it will keep marking, there is also a wee stick you can buy and it will wee on the stick outside

Get rid of this dog.You do not have feelings for this dog.This poor little thing comes from the worst environment.It is not trained and has no clue what to do.Before you start abusing the poor dog take it to a shelter or have it PTS.Hopefully there will be a kindhearted dog lover that will adopt this little dog and have patience with it.
I will do anything for my 2 little Jack Russels.This puppet needs love and care.Dogs are extremely sensitive.
Why the dog ate your kids clothes is that you let it lie around.This dog has issues.Imagine living in such filth mess.
Get rid of the dog.:cry::cry::cry::cry::paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints:

1 Like

make him be the one to clean up after the dog. he’s the one that wanted it and doesn’t want to rehome it. with a 4 month old I don’t think yall are in a place to be retraining a trauma dog. it’s dangerous and a biohazard

6 Likes

That dog has been through ALOT please keep trying.

7 Likes

Poor thing is traumatised and sounds like your home and family are not the right place for this dog, every dog is different and same for every family, explain this to your husband and say it’s not fair on the dog because he needs more attention more training by a professional and that it’s also not fair on you and your family because it’s very unhealthy to have a dog doing poo and pee in your house specially with a baby! Don’t feel bad your just not right for each other tell him this and that you should either help find him a new home or help find the right shelter to find him a new home, hopefully he’ll see sense if not let him clean all the poo and pee up then trust me he’ll see sense :joy:

4 Likes

This poor baby.
He has been through so much trauma.
Although, I understand your frustration, you’re making it about the dog and not his upbringing.
He literally doesn’t know any different.
He is like a 60 year old man!!
His ENTIRE 9 years has been going in the house.
He probably won’t be able to learn to go outside consistently, without HARD CORE training.

It sounds to me like you aren’t willing to put in that time.
You HAVE to do what’s best for this poor old man.

1 Like

I know it feels never ending right now but this poor pup is 9yo and never been trained or cared for properly. He may never have been walked and may have physical problems due to lack of proper care .
The poor wee thing needs lots of love and endless patience. If you can’t give him that then find him a better home. He’s suffered enough in his little life

1 Like

I would suggest trying to contact a professional dog trainer for help. Just ensure they are informed of the doggies history as well so they can provide you with the guidance needed. All the best and hope you and hubby can work it out so the little furbaby can keep his furever home.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. We rescue a dog that we are having issues training: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

He’s nine. The older a dog gets the more health issues they’ll have which could lead to them using the bathroom in the house. It also seems like he was never potty trained to begin with. Instead of trying to make him go outside, buy some puppy pads and train him to use those instead.

2 Likes

If it’s not working out for you that’s okay, but I would be cautious of what I did with him. If you’re thinking of taking him to a shelter please try and make sure it’s a no kill shelter, if you’re going to rehome him yourself be upfront about his issues and cautious of who he goes too.
Sometimes a dog just isnt beat suited for a certain family and its nobodies fault.
Clearly this wont work and I dont blame you one bit for being fed up, you shouldn’t have to clean up constantly like this when you have another dog who is house trained but consider that this poor animal has had a miserable life and is well into his prime and I hate to see him go somewhere he will be put down or treated badly again.
I would rehome him if I were you.
If you’re not ready to give up talk to your vet and take him in, rule out a health issue and the vet may also be able to offer you help in retraining him.

Doggy diapers?
The dog is older and set in his ways from years of lack of training.
Still take him out like normal to give him a chance to learn but doggy diapers when he’s in the house?

1 Like

A 9 year old is gonna be hard to train. And be worse later down the road. It’s been 7 months, at least you tried. Clearly it’s messing with your mental state. I know how that feels especially with a infant. You do not have the time to take care of another child. I would put it that way to your husband.

I lived with someone who had a small terrier who would pee and poop inside no matter how many times she was let out. From my experience once they start going in the home it’s impossible to stop. But said person also didn’t work with the animal, so maybe with training from a professional that might help?

Take him back. He will never change. I got a chihuahua like that one time.

Sounds mean but this is how I stopped my dog from peeing inside. She was straight outside all day and went as soon as she was inside :rage:. I grabbed her and shoved her face in it.

Yeah you’ve a problem. He’s too old to change his ways now

This is the wraps , I buy cheap diapers an put in them , it helps a lot because I have 2 males try to mark their territory.

1 Like

You need to get rid of that dog before it starts chewing on your baby instead of her clothes

2 Likes

Look into Belly Bands. They will help you!

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. We rescue a dog that we are having issues training: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Being 9 year old, it will be extremely hard to get the pup out of old habits. Does he go when he is outside? If so you could try praise and a treat for doing so. If that doesn’t work you could try giving him a designated place using a training mat and praise him for using it, then try for outside?

Trainer and start crating, like yesterday. Dog needs 24/7 supervision. He literally cannot be out of your sight. Start from scratch, like a puppy. Outside every 20 minutes. Say “go potty” and IMMEDIATELY say “good potty” when he goes and shove a tiny treat in his mouth. Treats NO other times until trained. If you’re not watching the dog, he’s in his crate or tethered to your waist. He has to earn house freedom. Use baby gates as you expand his free areas.
Tiny dogs are notoriously difficult to train, and a rescue dog is even harder. The key to success is training YOU and you being consistent. It absolutely can be done :relaxed:

133 Likes

You need to crate train the dog at night to teach it not peeing or pooping in certain areas and you need to cage the dog off from the house in a 7x7 area with puppy pads until it gets the memo to go in certain spots. Even puppy pads are a step up from floors and carpets, you just need to use the dogs basic instincts of not going in “home” and “using a section of the den”

5 Likes

Not safe around your child. Let a rescue put it in a foster home that also does training. It takes skill to take a traumatized old dog adoptable. Not just a soft heart. And it took you courage to put this out here and put up with sanctimonious people who will criticize you. I admire you. Good luck.

46 Likes

Here is the most simple way of doing this, I rescued my rottie when she was almost 2 and she did the same thing piss everywhere shit everywhere she would chew up my panties and shoes, the first thing you have to remember is your dog was living in an a place where he or she can go and do whatever they want, he or she may have never gotten the proper training. So put him on a leash when in the house and take him wherever you go with the lease. A. This helps him to know your the alpha B. It helps because he has limited room to roam in the house. Take him outside every 30 mintues reward with good behavior. If your inside and he is on the leash remember leash in hand as always and you notice him or she going around in circles and squiting take him outside right away. After a couple of weeks give him more room with the leash( buy on of those retractable leashes btw). Easiest way for potty training and to teach him not to bite because he or she will always be by your side.

40 Likes

Your red flag was that she had so many pets… Second one was …deemed unlivable! He’s too old to house train! You need to pass him on to the pound and maybe someone else will adopt him!

41 Likes

Trainer. Or tether method and pay close attention. The dog has been allowed cor years to do this

7 Likes

At 9 years old… It’s gonna be literally undoing everything the previous owners allowed. Best of luck undoing 9 years of (what it sounds like is 0 training)

1 Like

I adopted a dog that was almost a year old and had never been trained, was left in a crate all day and had so many knots in hair that he had to be shaved. He also was covered with fleas. We started training him immediately and also got him neutered. Is your dog neutered? That can change things quickly. The don’t feel the need to mark territory all the time. Another thing is this dog hasn’t been properly socialized. An adjustable leash and long walks as well as contact with the public can help. This is going to take work but you will be rewarded with a dog that worships you. If you feel you can’t do this, get in contact with a no kill shelter and get him in with someone who knows how to handle a traumatized dog. Understand this. A dog is not unlike a child. Both need love, patient, and training.

10 Likes

Frankly, it does not sound as though your household is the right one for this dog who needs a lot of care and attention to undo the damage of his former owner. Here’s the biggest red flag for me: you have a four-month-old daughter!!! She will be crawling on that floor…even though you clean up the mess constantly, your daughter will be crawling through the chemicals used to clean - or the mess if she gets to it first. Doesn’t your husband care about his child? Or YOU? Do you want to keep him? I ask b/c what you describe does not sound like the behavior of a man who loves his wife and child as they should be loved.

15 Likes

I would be done too. It’s not like your trained how to handle a traumatized dog. On top of that, sounds like you still have a house to run as well and were not expecting such a dramatic change. You have a baby in that house. Your priorities are higher than trying to train a aggressive dog. People saying you should have known better, are full of shit because no, you didn’t know better. None of us are psychics. Yeah of course you knew you were taking on a traumatized dog, but didn’t know the extent and extremes you had to go through. It would be great if you can find a foster home for him. That’s where I would start. Do not get rid of your other dog though. Don’t worry about these softies here, it’s your life, not theres. Do what’s best for your family.

13 Likes

So, you’re mad bc you couldn’t train a dog in 7 months to do the opposite of what it was trained to do for 9 years…

Regardless, crate train or get an experienced trainer.

And be a little less whiney with an animal who has probably had a shit life followed by the only life he knew being turned upside down all of a sudden.

69 Likes

I had exactly the same with a yorkie. I cant offer advice as we never managed to change his behaviour.

I have 2 dogs that arent housebroke…to cut down on their using the house…they are portered, until we are home…to visually prevent them going in the house…we toilet…feed and water them at basically the same time every day…

Reach out to a breed specific rescue. There are MANY small breed rescues.
Explain to them what is happening…calmly…not in the tone of your post. Ask them for 1) recommendations for a trainer- most rescues have one/two they work with specifically and 2) set a timeline and ask if they might have a foster if at the end of the timeline working with a trainer (generally 3-4 months), would they be willing to have you surrender to them

You are undoing YEARS of neglect and abuse. 7 months is like a drop in the bucket.

You do not have to surrender your pittie with the yorkie, that’s just his emotions speaking and, it makes no sense and I would not do so.

It takes an ABUNDANCE of patience and CONSISTENCY. Such like that as with an infant/toddler schedule training.

2 Likes

Start back at the beginning like you are training puppy. Take him out every ten minutes to start with and not just for two minutes. Let him sniff around. If he doesn’t go carry him inside and don’t let his feet touch the floor. Take him out again in another ten minutes. It’s not a quick fix. It all takes time and if you are busy looking after your young family then the best thing for all might be to rehome him with someone who has the undivided time.

2 Likes

Don’t get rid of your other dog - he’s done nothing wrong!

Get the yorkie a thunder jacket and a nice kennel outside.

4 Likes

This may sound childish but if he’s the one that brought the dog home let him look after the dog clear up it’s piss n shit and train it you have a child and another dog to look after it’s ok him saying the dog isn’t going bet he wouldn’t be so enthusiastic if he was cleaning up after it x

2 Likes

This is a dog reacting to trauma. All it knows is filth. I’d speak to a trainer who specializes in these types of dogs.

4 Likes

Please rehome the poor dog. Surrender him to a no kill shelter where they will find someone better suited for him and his needs. Saying this because “the little demon” deserves better.

17 Likes

I would be quite concerned about your baby! Your husband is being unreasonable. I love animals and would run a rescue if I could, but you’ve given it a while and this dog should maybe be given to someone who is a professional!

11 Likes

He has to learn you are the alpha dog…the boss. That would stop the biting.
Get discipline training like puppies get. Its not that expensive and well worth it plus trainer could give you tips on how to train him in other ways…this would also stop the biting. Give him limits.and be consistent.

1 Like

You took in a 9 year old dog that had lived in a hoarding situation all of his life and just expect him to be normal and house trained after 7 months? That’s not going to happen. He’s got 9 years of neglect, 9 years of not being socialized with humans and 9 years of not being house trained that 7 months will not cure.
He needs to be trained by a professional dog trainer, socialized and rewarded when he goes potty outside, every time he goes potty outside. I normally recommend crate training to help with the potty training but, I don’t know that it would help in this situation because he was taught to use the restroom where he lived.

7 Likes

Regardless of the toilet training, you’ve stated you have a four month old child and stated it tries to bite people; you need to find another place for it before it bites your baby. Your family’s safety comes first.

A single person with time on their hands could offer this dog everything it needs and with low risk from the biting.

3 Likes

Kennel him at all times, only let him out in the house shortly after he has pottied outside. Keep taking him outside to potty until he does. Allowing him out of the kennel for short breaks like 10-15 min watching him. And pads on floor. Definitely kennel him when you’re not home, asleep or napping or too busy to watch him. A constant pattern of this should condition and train him in the way he should go. Patience is necessary.

It’s not likely you can potty train him now at 11. It’s not really a potty issue. It’s a territorial issue, especially with a male dog. It’s too much with a new baby. I have a similar little dog. He’s kenneled at night and he’s happy in his kennel and doesn’t pee or poo in it. He’s also a cute lap dog and will sit with me in the evenings watching TV. If I can’t watch him or have him sitting with me he’s outside! He is never left up to his own devices in the house or I will find poo in my guest bath and he will pee on the corners of furniture. It’s not a problem because we have a nice yard and he’s got a little dog house out there. It all works for me. You should home him and find somebody like me who has time to deal with it. You should even consider rehoming your other dog if that’s how your husband feels. You have a new baby and your baby needs to come first. Your focus needs to be on your baby who will soon be crawling and learning to walk. You should be focused on her! Don’t put her health at risk!

4 Likes

Make the husband clean every piss. Every shit. Hell decide the dog needs to go.

10 Likes

We have a fur baby who chooses to pee in the house. We decided after 3 yrs it’s not him but birth issues and now use a wrap in the house. Maybe until your fur babe is no longer worried from abusive past use a diaper. When outside praise like crazy. They will eventually only want to please you, abused babies take a little longer to trust but when they do :heart:

2 Likes

They chew clothes as a nervous act, my mom has one who’s nearly blind and 15yrs old, when he gets nervous that he got left behind…chewing clothes is very dangerous for them. When he does that make sure that the left over clothes are all there or it could be a vet situation…it sounds like he doesn’t know how to be a dog, he needs to be socialized with other dogs he can relate to…I’ve been watching a show like “The Dog Whisper” something like “ZenDog” out of LA it’s on Disney Plus… I had a Teacup Chihuahua like that, I had to rehome him, I didnt know how much anxiety he gave me till he was gone. He pooped and peed in front of the fridge 4x aday (he went outside every 2 to 3 hours to go potty with the other dogs)… at that time I had 2 other dogs and 2 cats and when my mom came she added 3 more dogs. It was to much for him, he felt he had to mark his territory, it wasn’t his fault he just felt like he didnt have any space with all the other animals in the house! When I rehome him I made sure it was to someone I knew so I could long distance eye him, his new owner said he never once has done the business in his house, they are an extra pet free home…I was happy for the lil dog…

2 Likes

Love and patience make every difference. Your little fur baby has never experienced that. They are scared they don’t know what to expect scold the mess in the house and praise it outside. Don’t scold the dog it terrifies them more. Let him/her sleep in a crate at night a good protective sleep makes all the difference. We have done this 3 times and within a few months saw a huge difference. They aren’t born this way humans being cruel on defenceless beings did

1 Like

I think that he may be jealous and territorial towards the other dog as well as bad long time habits and given that breed is known to be hard to train…… good luck. But yeah try crating and get a dog trainer to help. At least talk to one to get some ideas.

1 Like

I’m no dog expert bye any means. But sometimes routine is helpful with the potty training process. Rewarding not potting in the house helps too.

2 Likes

You got this dog AND have a puppy while you were either pregnant or had an infant. You should have known that your attention would need to be on your child.

BOTH dogs will become bite risks as your child starts to crawl. As someone who founded a rescue and worked with the shelter system, I would never have placed either dog in a home with a baby or toddler. Toddlers do not understand how to interact with animals. They pull on the ears and tails, put their little hands in the pet’s food. Toddlers move in a jerky manner which makes dogs defensive.

Do not allow your child to be alone with either dog until your child is 5 or 6 at least. Toddlers are the largest group of dog bite injuries and deaths, especially pit varies, but all dogs will bite under certain circumstances. This dog is likely good aggressive if it lived in a hoarding situation where it needed to guard food.

Your child comes first. You should not have adopted either dog. That was thoughtless. I know this sounds harsh, but I have seen enough dog bite injuries. You and your husband will only have yourselves to blame when one of the dogs bites the baby.

2 Likes

You really really should have done some research before you got the damn dog. Those are some of the hardest dogs to train and it’s not some kind of secret. One Google search could have told you that. Try getting a trainer. And don’t get anymore pets you obviously suck as a pet owner

2 Likes

Found out from a trainer that Yorkies are hard to house train when they’re older. Ours were 2 years old and trained when we rescued them. We had our issues with the accidents when they got older. There is anxiety medicine you can get at Petco which may help

1 Like

I believe a dog this age and has obviously been though a lot,needs a person that can devote there time 100% sounds like you were unsure to begin with and you have a lot on your plate already,your husband should try and do more otherwise,find him another home but please don’t get angry with him,it’s really not his fault…

1 Like

So for 9 years (or however long he was owned by the previous person) he was allowed to do anything including potty in the house. Not to mention it’s breed was designed more for looks rather then anything else, so most are difficult to train unless you get them right away when they’re young. Intelligence was not thought of when creating Yorkies so don’t expect them to be masters at listening just because you saved them from a terrible life. Even then they could grow into a little nipping bunghole for no reason other then having small dog syndrome. Which is not a real condition, as far as I know, but I feel like a lot of small dogs have behavioral problems and I could see their size is behind the reasoning (or maybe just upright poor breeding for looks and no thought to temperament).

So you took on a dog with lots of problems right from the start and being only 7 months in you’re expecting a perfect dog. A big heart only goes so far, I’m about 4 years into our rescue and she’s just now starting to behave (she never fully will). Get a pee pad as that’s the new norm for small dogs apparently and hire a real trainer for his nipping behavior if you want to continue to have him around small children, which may never be the case as most small dogs, especially the older they get, do not like small children.

He’s not beyond training but it certainly will be some work and requires the help of a professional. Otherwise, rehome to someone who will put in the time and work (ensure he’s fixed beforehand so he doesn’t end up getting dumped at a BYBs house), and has no small children or other pets so he can get 100% of the focus. Or contact a rescue who knows how to deal with animals from a hoarding situation. Sometimes all you can do is be the middleman from getting the animal out of the situation and into the hands of rescuers. There’s nothing wrong with that, rescues know that not everyone can handle every situation. However I would not find it fair to rehome the other dog, especially if they haven’t done anything wrong, which you didn’t mention if they did or not. If they have it could be the other dog being around that’s causing it.

1 Like

Maybe try puppy pads, any place it potties in the house place one, but still take it out as much.

1 Like

You have a 4 month old! The dog goes! Tell hubby on this one you win.

2 Likes

Creat train also if he continues to try to bite visitors, put a soft mussel on while companies there. If he doesn’t try to bite your visitors reward him.

1 Like

His too old to train also male dogs tend to mark there territory if they sence female presence and other male dogs.

You might try the little doggie diapers in between outdoor breaks.

Have patience reward good behaviour it takes time to adjust from a previous life Don’t give up on the dog.

I would put it in a kennel with pee pad made for dogs usually they will keep there sleeping place clean. If it works you can move pee pass by the kennel door and keep moving until it is out side, get some anti anxiety meds for the dog and keep petting and socializing It with others. If it goes all over its kennel & bed, it may be incontinent and then you will have to check with you vet to see whet needs to be done about it.

1stly you should have rescue back up. Id b speaking to them. Long time not to know to go outside. I feel your pain xx personally I wouldn’t trust the dog. And you have 4monyh old. Biting is a no no😱

The poor pup probably never had any love or training. Try treats when he goes outside to pee or poop give him lots of love and positive reinforcement along with the treats. But maybe he just got use to living in such a deplorable environment. But that’s not fair to you or your daughter’s clothes. Your husband is being unreasonable tell him if he wants the dog that much then he’s responsible for cleaning up after the dog. They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks maybe that goes for house breaking too. Another thing you can do is buy him a nice comfy doghouse and keep him outside. But rmb to bring him in if it’s too cold or hot outside. It really is a sad situation and it’s not the dog’s fault he was never house broken. Good luck.

Make the dog an outdoor dog!

I feel sorry for you I’m in the same position I just had to have this little deer head chihuahua got it when she was 6 months old she pees and poops all over the place no matter what I do I got papers all over the place so she poops next to them I leave my bedroom door open she walks past the papers and poops in my bedroom now she’ll pee on the papers she won’t go out in the morning if I try to pick her up if she tries to bite me anybody else can pick her up except me she doesn’t eat regular food dog food anyways I have to cook for her I’d love to give her away I can’t take her to the pound I know it’s a kill pound in Lake City maybe if you get professional help from a dog trainer or something but you’re not going to do it by yourself I’ve been trying for 3 years and she still pissing everywhere

When my pom went blind he started peeing in the house. We ended up getting him a set up outside and lock him up at night because dogs don’t like to go where they sleep. Keep working at it I’ve learned even if one thing is inconsistent between multiple trainers the dog will not do what you want. Try to watch the little ones potty schedule and see if there are certain points in the day this is happening and adjust your time letting it out

1 Like

Try pee pads. Some small breeds just don’t take to going outside to do their business especially in winter also, she’s up there in age and she may never had gone outside to do her business. Patience. Treat like a child, 20-30 minutes after eating or drinking take outside or to pee pad. Again, she’s been through a lot be. patient and vigilant

Pretend hes a puppy and you are at the beginning, get him a crate, puppy pads lots of them, treats, it wont take long, need patience

I’m so sorry this isn’t working out as you had hoped. Yorkies often go untrained their entire lives. It seems that many people would rather mop up small puddles and pick up tiny turds than have to bestir themselves to take the little one outside. These same people think it’s “so cute” when they growl and snap because they’re too small to do serious injury—to adults. There certainly are problems training such a small creature when much of dog training needs you to be down at their level, and with a 4-month-old, you already have your work cut out for you. You essentially have until your daughter starts crawling to get the dog housebroken, so time is not on your side. The good news is that there are probably more resources than ever before, from books to videos to classes on how to train elder dogs to be good companions. You already have plenty on your plate here, so maybe since your husband is adamant about keeping the little guy, he should take point. Whatever he does, you will have to help maintain consistency if your husband works outside the home. The two of you need a calm conversation where all options are on the table, and you each speak from facts and feelings, not frustration and annoyance. Personally, I believe a Yorkie is a poor choice for a household with an infant soon-to-be toddler. The possibility of damage to either dog or child once they start inhabiting the same space (the floor) is no small concern. Yorkies are terriers, bred to run down rats and other wildlife in walls and tunnels and kill it by shaking it to death. The potential for lasting trauma to little fingers, ears and faces from a poor-tempered dog is serious. You did a good thing by trying to rescue a little fella who wouldn’t otherwise have much of a life, and if you discover it’s something you don’t have the time, energy or emotional resources to deal with, you should feel no shame in admitting to it, and releasing him to a situation that can better fill his needs. My stay-at-home mother had a toddler, an infant and a bouncy puppy to handle, and it took her to the end of her patience, even though the puppy did soon grow up to be a beloved family member until he died. You didn’t say how he bonded—or didn’t—with your pittie, or if there’s a particular attachment to any other family member, but if you are going to have the major responsibility for his care, I think it’s not out of line for you to have the biggest input into the decision process.

Have you tried diapers for the dog?

2 Likes

Have you heard the tragedy of Old Yello the wise?

behavior problems are best taken care of by trained professionals. try taking him to a vet and getting their advice after giving him a check up.

I think he may need a good therapist ! And if not, your going to need one. Good luck Nancy . Keep me posted.

2 Likes

Crate train him. Treat him like a new puppy, as that is basically what he is.

Use a belly band. And crate train

Not worth the headache. Find him a new home

1 Like

Give up. You don’t need to put up with that in your house.

2 Likes

Do what u want to do! if u want to get rid of him do it!!

1 Like

Keep him outside in a nice kennel.

1 Like

Poor little pooch has ptsd and extreme anxiety. It is your job as momma to help remedy that. Try some play therapy at a designated time each day. And treat rewards after. Try giving it a cave to chill out in, in an enclosed space (baby gate a room). Go for walks around the block or two daily, and reward with treats. Don’t yell ever. Whisper, it is much scarier. Your pooch will pick up on your own anxiety. Breathe and release when you approach it. When you change your own behaviors your dog will change theirs in response. Recognize that behaviors are a response to trauma, neglect, and loving consistency.

2 Likes

I’ll get a lot of hate for this, but I’ve been there. A family member died and NOBODY I mean NOBODY would take in her dog. Her dog was 12 yrs old and always went in the house. On top of ripping out the carpet and (oh gawd, was it bad) the damage to the floors… I thought I was capable of taking care of the dog. I was not. After 7 months of continuous piss and shit my house started to smell like a barn. Crate training wasn’t helpful, the dog refused to go outside. It always went between the crate and the door. So I tried picking it up… When it literally shit on me while holding it, that was the last straw. I felt awful for the dog, I couldn’t let her have any freedom. Anything larger than a crate she would soil. And I couldn’t leave her in the crate indefinitely… And giving her freedom in the house after defecating on the floor was a reward for bad behaviour.

Some things are beyond someone’s abilities. Find a rescue and extend yourself some grace. You tried, it just wasn’t a healthy situation for you or the dog. And the original owner created the situation, not you. You are just unable to fix what someone else broke.

All these people saying you are a bad person haven’t been there. Sometimes rehoming a dog is the best you can do, and that’s ok.

2 Likes

Crate training. Get a book on it and follow directions.

Leash train keep on leash in house take out every hour give treat when goes. After three days they generally get the hint

1 Like

He has a lot of trauma. Did you take him to a vet and try doggy prosaic. In all honesty you have no interest or love for the dog. He would be better with someone who could love and help him.

2 Likes

Get a little dog cage . Most of the time dogs dont like to go potty where they sleep. They might once or twice . When loss use a gate to keep in area with puppy pads . Take out as offen as u can. Dont feed late . It takes patience & lots of love . Good luck & thank u for helping this poor dog :paw_prints::paw_prints:

Take out every 30mins after food play n sleep also n plenty of praise wen he does it outside x ps join a group called dog training and support they will help you with your issue x

1 Like