What age did your kids start doing chores?

When my daughter was younger I started her with easy chores. Every year on her bday she received an additional chore. When she turned 10 she received 2 additional chores.

When they are 5. That’s when I started with givibg them chores. First they learned to make beds. Properly. I love my beds nicely made.

1 Like

My kids have been doing chores for a few years. Currently they have a calendar with their chores. In return they earn time on their electronics. They are 8 and 10 now. By the age of at least 6 they knew how to vacuum and steam the floors. I just dont have them clean the restroom or wash the dishes. They do dry and put away the dishes. They are just learning how to use the washing machine.

1 Like

I have my 9 yo and 6 yo do most of their chores together. Cleaning, laundry, trash, and litter boxes. My 2 yo “helps” as best she can.

1 Like

My kids have been doing chores since 5. It started with bed, room, and simple things. Now my 13 year old knows how to do everything around the house even though she splits it with the other siblings in the house and it rotates. There is daily chores, weekly, and monthly. But I won’t let her mow till she is at least 14 to dangerous. My 16 year old does the mowing and yard work. When she grows up she will know how to do laundry, clean anything up, and basic life responsibilities in a home. It will be great for when she gets her 1st job and she knows things from this and wont feel stupid when someone tells her to sweep or mop the floors. I dont pay them nothing. They get a roof over there head and food. Its called responsibility. Period.

2 year olds can play the pick up toy game to a song or a timer. Put clothes in the hamper, count out the scoops of dog food into the dish.at 3 they can wash Tupperware in the sink pull the quilt up on their bed and dress and undress themselves, put shoes away and help fold hand towels and washcloths. The can help put their clothes in drawers. This is the basic groundwork for taking responsibility for themselves and respecting the family by participating in future steps kitchen , laundry and caregiving and cleanliness!

2 Likes

Started with taking their own dishes from the table to the kitchen counter each meal. Also had them pick up their toys before lunch. Make their bed, dusting.

Yes it is time. Google age appropriate chores. My son at 8 let dogs out and got himself ready to school and got on bus… we live in a town of less than 1000. Lol my point kids are so capable of so much!

1 Like

yes teaching them responsibility is a great thing. Just be sure the chores match the age and that it will not take the little ones to long to accomplish them or they will get real bored fast.

1 Like

I was started at 4 by cleaning up my toys, at 5 I had to clean my room and dry and put away the silverware from there I was given more chores to do as I got older. At the age of 8 cleaning my room was no longer a chore it was expected of me. At 10 cleaning bathrooms folding clothes was added.

My kids helped do housework around age 2. They helped roll wash rags, move laundry from dryer to basket, rinse dishes, and my son’s favorite activity was dusting with those disposable dusters. Around age 4 my son started takin garbage out with help and daughter started helping to wash dishes. They both helped vacuum with a small dirt devil. Many chores can be tailored to your child’s age and ability

They can certainly make their bed…pick up their toys…they can help you with other things if you watch them

1 Like

Soon as they can crawl and bring me things! They pick up toys then sweep then wipe tables clear dishes. Sooner the better. Especially when they’re interested!!

Age 2 then one new chore every year they got older. Both my now young men are independent and know how to clean, cook, handle finance, and get a job. Not perfect but they don’t ask me for money.

1 Like

Omg my kids are the same age. 8 empty dishwasher and 5 sort clean clothes. As soon as the 8 year old can eat dinner without making a mess he will clean the table after dinner, 5 will empty dishwasher and 2 sort clean clothed

You can start chores at any age that correspond with their age. Two years olds are able to put clothes away pick up their room.

My youngest was six when she started doing her owm laundry

My mom handed me the undies and wash clothes to fold with her when I was 2 and 3. And put some of my own clothes away. By 8 I could do the family laundry and most of the housekeeping chores.

My almost 3yr old does anything I ask him to. My 8 and 11yr old struggle doing anything because they get side tracked.lol. my 11yr old is starting to learn how to do laundry, unloads the dishwasher, “cleans” his room, feeds the dogs and chickens and helps with the lawn.

My kids are 3 and almost 6. They have had chores as soon as they could.

I always said 5 was a good age to start :wink::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 years old and up. The chores are simple, such as picking up toys to put in the toy box; match up socks.

I was given chores at the point I was old enough to understand how to do the chore I was being asked to do. Some chores had to wait until I was physically big enough though. Like I did dishes standing in a chair, but didn’t start mowing the yard until I was big enough to control the mower.

Agreed. Age appropriate, but even the 2 year old can pick up toys or dirty clothes and out where they should be.

Stood on a chair too wash dishes don’t know how old.

1 Like

My 2 yr old son picked up his toys, picked up his clothes and other little chores he could help with

I always had my children start with their toys. If they were old enough to get them out then they were old enough to put them up.

4 years old. He’s seven years old now and he vacuums, he sweeps and mops, foods his own laundry, washes dishes, dusts, throws out the garbage, makes me coffee, now’s how to cook simple things, cleans his room, goes on store errands and now is learning to cook complete meals. My five year old is on the same path now. You have to start them early.

Hes been doing chores since he was 3. All age appropriate. Hes 6 now and earns an allowance and helps around the house without having to be asked :slight_smile:

I used to put the milking machine together when I was five years old.

My 8yo does dishes…and helps with folding laundry

As soon as they can walk they should learn to pick up toys, etc.

My aunt forbid me to make my son do chores. He didn’t start until 17 or 18.

My youngest at 3 wanted to learn to change her linens on bed👍

8yrs old, that’s a good place to start.

As soon as they can walk the toys to the toy box and books to the shelves.

2-4 Pick up toys. 5-6 help load dishwasher. 7-8 help with trash/recycling, take care of pets: feed/water/scoop and clean cat box. 8 sort, wash, dry, fold and put away their own laundry. Help with buying, sorting and putting away groceries. Sweep and run vacuum. 10 help plan, prepare and cook meals, also yard work-rake, pick up debris and put it in the bins/bags for refuse pickup. 12 mow the lawn and use weed eater.

3 Likes

Pick up their toys.and clean their room.

Any age is a great age as long as the chore is age appropriate

1 Like

My children followed me around wanting to help at an early age. So I’d let them help me (have a try at what I was doing) all the while explaining that cleaning products could be very harmful if improperly used etc. My children removed their shoes at the door, hung up their jackets etc, pick up their toys away (and helped wash washable ones in the bathtub), put clothes in the hamper, at age 2&1/2-3 yrs and up. By age four they could make eggs and toast, and bacon between paper towels in the microwave. By school age, they could clean their room mostly, help polish furniture, set the table, help clear, and help wash dishes, dry and put away dishes. They folded towels or wash clothes, matched socks and folded underwear. Or put folded laundry away. They were around 7-8 yrs old before I gave them the chore of taking the trash out, running a vacumn cleaner, cleaning a door, tub, or bathroom sink behind themselves. 8-10yrs helping with the mopping. Sweeping porches and walkways. Folding or hanging their own laundry. We usually all worked TOGETHER and traded chores each time. 10&1/2-12 yrs when they started helping mow a lawn or washing the car.

As soon as they are old enough to mess up, they are old enough to start cleaning up

1 Like

You don’t help kids doing anything for them they can do for themselves.

All three should have some chore to do.

1 Like

start in thier room and expand as they mature.

5 years is a good start

They are old enough to do chores.

I’m still waiting on them to start

Yep now’s the time !

Yes they are old enough

2 years of age. At 2…they can pick up all their toys, pull the covers up on their bed and put their dirty clothes in the proper place. They can also help with baking --------- kids, of all ages, love this. AT 5…begin with the same three as the 2-year old but add, helping with the laundry/putting things away, loading/unloading the dish washer, sweeping, dusting, helping with outside chores and preparing meals. At 8…all of what the 5 year old does plus keeping the house clean; including their own room, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen.

1 Like

Even at 4 years old, my youngest helped me sort laundry into separate loads. He watched me and learned. I was a working single mom and I had to teach my children how to cook, do dishes, laundry, and other chores so we could survive. They all became self-reliant adults, unlike many others of their generation. Parents: If you are smart, you will teach your children and better prepare them for adulthood. I am all for bringing back home ec to schools for both boys and girls. It’s important that they know those things.

1 Like

I’m ashamed to say mine are 9 and I just started giving them chores. I’ve been slacking. I have twin boys. So now one feeds the dogs, one waters the dogs, one washes cups, the other washes silverware, one takes out the trash the other washes laundry ( with assistance, but we have laundry pods so it’s easy) the other dries the laundry, and I still fold and put away cause my OCD can’t handle that yet. One pits toys away the other pick up the clothes that never end up in the hamper and my 3 year old is responsible for picking up toys and clothes and feeding our lizard that she loves to feed. She also begs to help with dishes so she helps me rinse the best she can.

My kids are 4, 7, and 9. They are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, putting their own laundry away, and cleaning up the dinner table after meals. My 9 year old scoops the litter box and takes the trash out. My 7 year old is responsible for gathering the laundry from all 3 floors and bringing it to the laundry room. My 4 year old helps load the dishwasher.

Start NOW! Youngest will need MUCH coaching. Can follow directions such as pick up that toy (the one you point to) and put it in designated place. Oldest can start learning to set the table, they can all take their plates to the sink after eating. I was 8 when I started following DETAILED written directions from my mother to prepare our family’s dinner every day after school.

Start young teaching them responsibility.

Wassim check this out

My 6yr old unpacks the dishwasher, sets and clears the table for dinner and feeds our dog and cat. She is also expected to unpack her school bag and make her bed every day

I ask my boys if they can help me pick up stuff and help me put things away and once we’re done I make us a treat or take them out to the beach or park. They’re 2&3 years old but I’m planning on giving them chores to do on their own if they want something and to teach them what they’re going to have to do when they’re on their own around 13-14 years old

My son is 2 and we have him throwing stuff in the garbage and picking up his toys and he waters the plants. He wants to do more but his tiny body eliminates most other options he tries. Try having them throw stuff in the garbage and picking up toys. Easy, effective and it most definitely helps in general

The 5 and 8 year old can def do chores. They can clean their room make their beds clean up toys set table clear tables feed the animals. There is tons of little things they can do around the house that will help. I give my 8 and 9 year old an allowance every once and a while.

My 3 year old likes to help me throw away trash and clean her room and fold towels.

1 Like

My 2 and 5 year olds both help feed the animals at our house and at their grandparents. They also help with laundry some and cleaning and dinner. My 5 year old has a pet rat that she cares for almost entirely by herself when she is at our house. The rule is if she wants a pet then she cares for it by herself. If she cannot care for it or no longer wants too then she will not have another pet until she can purchase it herself. When that happens she will be responsible primarily for buying everything the pet needs. We still have time for that but she does really well with her rat. Hardly asks for help with her at all.

My 7 yr old folds and puts her own laundry away. She also cleans her room, makes her bed and cleans her playroom. She started helping me with folding rags when she was 2 and finally a year ago I just told her she had to do her own from now on. I sometimes guide her when she needs it but she is very responsible.

My kids did helping me put clothes on washer at 1.5 and little trash… picking up aT 1.
Three and up gets new chores my sox year old does trash ,laundry pets hellp with sis pick up vaccuum… set table and stuff

At 2 he started putting his snacks away neatly. He also had some of his favorite vitamin milks that he would align in the fridge.

My 4 year loves helping me around the house!

1 Like

My almost 4 year old is at the age where he likes to help, he helps me unload the dishwasher, clean windows, and sweep. The only “chore” he is really responsible for is cleaning his room

1 Like

My 3 year old picks up her toys if she brings them out. She throws trash away. She helps put groceries on the conveyer belt at the store.

My 18 month old helps put his dirty clothes in the hamper and throw his snack trash away. Sometimes he “clears his plate” which Is just him throwing it into the sink :joy: but his big bro (3 yo) does all this so that’s what teaches him, monkey see monkey do. My 3yo also likes to help wash the windows and vacuum. I started teaching my 3 yo to pick up his toys at 2 so that was the first step in “doing chores” for them. :+1:

1 Like

My 7 year old cleans her room, gets laundry from the bathroom, and she and her 3 year old sister have to pick up the toys together in the living room. My 15 year old is responsible for taking out the trash, mowing the yard, and putting up the dishes after they have been washed, and of course his own room (not even going to think about what could be found in there if I did it). Only the picking up toys from the living room is a daily chore, the rest are once a week or as needed.
But at 2 they are were all expected to clean up after themselves, take there trash to the can, put dirty clothes in the hamper, things like that.
These are life lessons and skills and the earlier they are introduced the better I think.

My 5 year old son helps me unload the dishwasher, feeds the dogs (I do the water), and helps me sort laundry and then after I fold it he puts his away in his room.

My kids were picking up their toys at 1 and a half to 2 years old. The older they get, the more chores they have. My 5 and 6 year old sweep the floor and help clean the dog’s pen

The 8 year old should be cleaning their own room, helping with dishes. The 5 year old could be picking up toys and helping as well. The two year old?? not sure, but I would get them started. Otherwise, when they are older, they won’t do anything. Good luck with it. I was dusting before I was 5. (My mom has a picture with me using the vacuum). I was making dinner and doing laundry by at least 16 if not before. My mother had me cleaning my room by at least 10. (and rearranging dresser drawers, and closet)…up to you.

As soon as they started walking and talking all 4 of mine had something to do whether throwing trash away or helping with sticks in the yard. And now that my youngest is working on 12, she can do just about anything chore wise.

1 Like

Did regular chores at early age at 7&12 picked strawberries for mom to take to market before school. Helped dad put up fence by peeling cedar post so mom could paint them.