What age is considered a toddler?

So my boyfriend and I is in a debate on toddlers. I say his four-year-old is still a toddler because he’s not fully potty trained. I also say my two-year-old is a toddler. He agrees with me on the 2-year-old but not on the four-year-old.

72 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What age is considered a toddler? - Mamas Uncut

Honestly you could Google it🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

3-5 is preschoolers :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 year old is preschool/school age. Where I am, kids start kindergarten at 4 years old. Also, Google is your friend.

Not fully potty trained

1-2 years old according to CDC. I mean my son is 6 and I still say “the baby” so :joy:

2 Likes

4 is technically not a toddler even if they aren’t potty trained. I’m an educator in the childcare field. 1-2 is technically toddler. I’d also kind of find it offensive to call a child a toddler because they’re fully potty trained. Both could help each other get there.

7 Likes

Toddler literally means a kid just beginning to walk. 4 is closer to school age vs toddler.

1-4 is considered toddlers.
But 4 yr olds are also considered a preschooler too.

1 and 2 toddler maybe 3 but not 4

I use to work in Childcare and 1-2 sometimes years old is considered toddlers 3-5 is school age.

Definitely not a toddler! They’re a pre-schooler

2 Likes

A 4 year old is a preschool aged child, not a toddler anymore. Toddlers are ages 1-3

0–1 is baby/infant.
1-4 is toddler.

Clothing wise it’s different :joy:

Toddlers 1-2 preschooler 3-4

2 Likes

3.5 - 4 year old is a pre schooler.

1 Like

No matter the ‘real’ answer dont tell him he is right never ever tell him he is right :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

So why are clothes for 4 year olds, 4T’s as in toddler, just curious

1 Like

4 year old preschooler

1 Like

Toddler is like 18 months-3 I’d say the 4 year old is pre-schooler

1 Like

I’ve never considered 4 to still be a toddler. However… kids clothes goes up to 5T … doesn’t the T stand for toddler?!
Google also says this

2 Likes

You are a toddler until you turn 5 years old…

I feel personally a good threshold for deciding whether or not the term is appropriate for your child is whether or not they have the ability to zip their own coat and tie their shoes. If they can get fully dressed on their own, they’re a kid not a toddler

2 Likes

For boys, until about 40. Lol

38 Likes

Old way of stages…
A child stage was classified as transition into school…

8 Likes

A toddler refers to their gait, nothing to do with potty-training. I would refer to a child over three as a pre-schooler.

2 Likes

He is right, but, ALWAYS keep it a suspense! NEVER admit that he’s right! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

4-years-old is preschool age.

2 Likes

Yeah 4 is a toddler in my eyes…but if he wants to get him into kindergarten, he needs to be fully potty trained…js(not trying to be mean or anything :frowning: I’m trying to help):heart:

1 Like

The potty training has nothing to do the toddler stage or not. Toddler stage is generally between 2&4, potty training is not classed in the toddler stage due to so many kids having issues with potty training and are just unable to straight out, some kids I know still need to wear a nappy/pull up at the age of 5/6. This is not fault to their parents, just potty training is so different in each and every kid, they will do it when they are ready and not before, yes you can keep trying but only the child will know when they are fully ready or not and again it does not come down to their age or if they are a toddler or not, otherwise, we’d be calling all kids that are 5/6 toddlers

1 Like

A four year old is a pre schooler

Four years aint a toddler at all, your husband is right…

2yr old yes but 4yo no. They’re small/young children. Toddlers are essentially first walkers until fully confident in running, walking and climbing

I always thought it was 1-4 years old

2 Likes

I’d say a toddler is 18 months to around 3

1 Like

Age and stage has nothing to do with potty training. If that were the case there are millions of developmentally delayed adults who would still be considered toddlers.

4 Likes

2 year old is a toddler but the 4 year old is not a toddler anymore, they are a preschooler (3-kindy) It’s got nothing to do with potty training :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

According to google - 1-3 years. I’d personally have said up to 3 years anyway. In the U.K. many 4 year olds start primary school

I call my four year old a kid. Not a toddler.

4 years old and still in diapers…that poor kid!! NEEDS SOME RESPONSIBLE PARENTS.

12 Likes

4 is still a toddler in my opinion.

2 Likes

3-4 pre-schooler age

If 4-yr-old is not considered a toddler, then why do their clothes come in 4T??

3 Likes

4yrs no longer a toddler. No reason for pull ups or diapers tbh 🤷

2 Likes

Id say 0- 1 month is a newborn. 2months -12 months is an infant. 1-3 years is a toddler. 4 -6 is a young child. 6-10 is a child. 11-12 is preteen. 13-18 is teen .

6 Likes

4yos don’t toddle :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

2-4 is toddler, 6 and up kid

When you go shopping, those toddle sections go to 5t…

1 Like

Maybe you should be putting more effort into why its taking a while for your child to potty train… and helping him … instead of your petty squabbles that quite frankly are a waste of everyone’s time

21 Likes

A google search would’ve answered this.

6 Likes

Once they start school I say they are a young child my son is 4 and started school in September so no longer what I would call a toddler :cry:

According to my daycare infant room goes to 15 months then its toddler room till 3 then preschool room 3 to 5 them school age room 5 to 12

4 years old is a preschooler in my opinion.

4 Likes

4 year old is a child 1-3 is a toddler just cause a child is not potty trained doesn’t make them a toddler at the age of 4 or up there has to be a reason n some times it takes longer

3 Likes

1-2 is a Toddler. 3-5 preschooler

2 Likes

4 year old is definitely not a toddler

1 Like

The 4 yr old is a preschooler the 2 yr old is a toddler

4 Likes

I would say preschoolers, age 4 / 5

2 Likes

1-3 is toddler 4-5 yo is preschool age and 6+ is school age.

4 Likes

I had a physically delayed son potty train at two and a twenty something cousin still in diapers. Potty training age is just a number.
He’s a pre schooler. But I would talk to a doctor about how to train him and why he is delayed in training. It may give you insight in how best to help him.

2 Likes

1-2 yrs old, unless the 4 yr old has some learning disabilities

Down here kids can start kindergarten at 5. It’s required at 6. So 6.

1-2 years is the toddler age, 3-5 is preschooler. Honestly people need to utilize google and the internet more. You literally have the answers in your hand lol.

5 Likes

My 12 year old is a pre-teen not a toddler, just because he wears a diaper doesn’t make him any less, the same way the 4 year old is a preschooler/child and not a toddler. The fact that it’s even a debate :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

4 Likes

It has nothing to do with being potty trained. If that was the case some special needs adults would still be toddlers.

Nb-1 infant
1-3 toddler
3-5 preschooler
5 & up school ages

4 Likes

4 year old is a preschooler.

1 Like

LOL Your 4 year old is not a toddler. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I think your 4 year old is a preschooler. Not a toddler. But I’m not sure.

0-11 months infant
1-3 Toddlers
4 Preschoolers
5 and up Schoolers

This is in the state of Texas because 5 year olds are required to start kindergartner

2 Likes

Def not a toddler at 4 yrs old.

At 4 they are preschool…1 to 3 is toddler age…

1 Like

A 4 year old is considered a preschooler and a 2 year old is considered a toddler.

A toddler is generally a child who is learning to walk, has nothing to do with potty training. Generally 1 to 2 yo, 3 to 4 is preschool and then school aged. Also saying things like that is having an indirect dig at his child and I do not blame him for being defensive.

5 Likes

Most of the articles say this

2 Likes

Yeah 4 yrs old once theyre school age theyre not toddlers

Quit babying him and potty train him jfc

9 Likes

4 y/o is preschooler

3 sometimes 4 depending on theirselves. I personally don’t agree with 5, they are out of that stage and “pre teen” stage by the

1-4. Ince theyre 5, not a toddler

1 Like

1-3 is toddler, 4 is preschool, anything older is just a little kid/big kid since they are school aged

1 Like

Sorry but you’re wrong.

3 Likes

And all kids are not the same so him being 4 and not potty train doesn’t make him a toddler. Do your research he’s a preschooler :joy:

2 Likes

4 year old is a preschooler

1 Like

Not trying to be rude. But why is the 4 year old not potty trained yet? Is there a development issue? Has he seen his pediatrician?

Clothing is 2-6T… T stands for “toddler.” However, it is also said that toddler is ages 1-3 so :woman_shrugging:

A 4 year old is not a toddler.

1 Like

Classifications have nothing to do with potty training. There are children with illnesses where they’ll never be potty trained, would you consider a 12 year old with Sanfillipo disease a toddler? No.

With that said, why isn’t a healthy 4 yr old potty trained? They’re supposed to start school in less than a year, and they have to be potty trained to go.

2 Likes

I’d call both toddler.
They’d be a toddler til they’re 5

Once a child hits three they are considered preschool regardless of toileting ability. The government reimbursement for daycare is usually lower once a child hits 3.

Now days, both 3 and 4 year olds are preschoolers and 2 year olds are toddlers as far as schooling/daycare goes.

So by your logic any older disabled person who is incontinent is a toddler :roll_eyes: a 4 yr old is a preschooler.

4 yr old is a preschooler.

To me a toddler is from 2-4 my little one is almost 5 so she is now a school age child so i think a 4 year old is still a toddler

Once they walk,
I consider them a toddler :woman_shrugging:t4:

1-3 toddler, 4 preschool, 5+school aged child

2 Likes

1-3 toddler, 4 is preschooler, 5-8 little kid, 9-11 big kid, 12 preteen, 13+ teenager.

3 Likes

Well in a daycare room a toddler room is 15 months till maybe 3 years… then its preschool age then 4/5 is prek. 5 is school age broke down by DCFS standards

Does it really matter? I call my 2 year old and 4 year old granddaughters the babies.

2 Likes

I don’t consider a 4 yr old a toddler

2 Likes