What age should kids be left home alone?

8-9 over night is way to young. Hell half the teens/young adults make poor decisions to be left alone over night & at least teens and young adults can use the stove and oven properly. Try talking to the parent. If that doesn’t work then gloves off & call police or child’s mom or family member.
It may not be your kid but you can help prevent that child from a possibly dangerous situation! Not just for them but for the entire building - especially if fire alarms are an issue.

2 Likes

I think there is really too much missing information to decide if this child is okay alone at night. First off, so many assume that the father can’t afford child care, but I don’t see any mention of the financial situation. Second, we don’t know what set up dad has for his son, such as safety numbers, cameras, etc. Third, we don’t know the father’s family situation. He may have cut them off cause they were toxic, or maybe they live in another state.
Basically, I don’t blame op for being concerned, as he is a child that is up later than normal and is setting off smoke detectors. I wouldn’t ignore the situation, as it’s not always in the best interest of the kid, and I wouldn’t rush to call CPS. As many have suggested, try to find a way to help out. You may be just what this family needs to make it.

7 Likes

No good… anything can happen the world is ugly :confused:

I was home alone at that age. Not every kid is the same maturity level. Legality is another question… that differs from state to state.

6 Likes

Very depressing maybe a few hours in the day but ALONE all night no… I couldn’t

Each state is different with age and maturity… I would ask at least maybe your contact information if he needs you. Maybe the boy don’t know any different. Idk…kinda lonely.

1 Like

If your kids are responsible. Probably about 9 or 10 is a good age. I started staying home alone at 9, mom just never let me have snacks “in case I choked”. I’ve got two little guys in the family who are 9 and 10. The 10 year old can stay home alone, but the 9 year old cannot. He’s irresponsible and not mature enough. Depends on the kiddo.

3 Likes

Isn’t the legal age to be home alone 14?

3 Likes

I started staying home alone at night when I was 8. I mean the dad has to work. I don’t think it’s any of your business either. In Alabama kids can stay home alone as 6. But they must be 12 to babysit other kids. That’s just legally speaking.

Sounds like dad is doing the best he can. Maybe offer to keep him at your house a few night’s and see how it goes. Sound’s like dad need’s as much help as the kid does. Childcare costs are so high some just can’t afford it. Need to go back to the “it take’s an entire village to raise a child”.

7 Likes

Yes to young, why dont u keep her.

Not every child is on the same maturity level as other children their age. A lot of the ones that are forced to be more independent and responsible for themselves are just that and some come by that honestly. My 10 year old and my 3 years old I would trust before I would trust my 12, 9, or 7 year old. Not because they are bad just those 2 are more mature and independent than the others.

2 Likes

I’d be offering the dad to maybe have the child overnight while he is at work because that’s just inappropriate.

I wouldn’t necessarily just run and tell cps, but maybe check in on the kiddo if you are worried about him eating maybe invite him over a night or a few a week to eat with your family of course okay that with the father, okay the child hanging out in your home or see if it’s okay if you check on him. I mean honestly if its truly overnight he should be asleep most of it.

1 Like

Me n my sister were left home alone at that age n even younger. I think you should just mind your own business n let them do what works best for their family.

7 Likes

As long as the child is not being abused or mistreated and had access to a phone for emergencies, I would step up and offer to be the help this father needs. Calling CPS is not always the best answer. Offer to help out with dinner and bedtime at your house to help the busy father out if he truly means well. Or, if the father insists the child can do it on their own…maybe offer to help warm up meals or cook and call to check on the child at bedtime. This child probably seeks a family as much as you would be willing to offer your hospitality. I firmly believe God puts people in our lives in certain ways and time.

4 Likes

It’s baby boy doing it he hated curtis I wonder if he can still smell him and that is why he is doing this

I think it’s not your business😡 if your writing this on fb and not just offering the dad some help tending him your a nosy neighbor that’s just gonna RIP a hard working dads family apart. Shame on you

15 Likes

My cousins child died when a fire started in the middle of the night her parents were at work she was 11 no child should ever be left alone at night

7 Likes

No way!!! This is not right!!

Shouldn’t leave kids alone to many things can go wrong maybe at 16 or 17 for couple hrs but not at this young age

1 Like

Contact DCS, call hotline

1 Like

I believe you can look up the laws by state. Some states have no law for age and others are around 8+. I was alone like that around age 9.

2 Likes

Offer to help and get others involved. Talk to dad tell him what you want to do . Then everyone offer fo let child play at your homes till bedtime. Remember this child is not used to rules for little stuff.

1 Like

It’s against the law for a 9 year old to be home alone. Offer some help for the child stay at your house until Dad gets home from work

Why not talk to the dad & the kid & see how it’s working for them, what they do for safety. Maybe learn something if you need to leave your kids alone. May want to offer your phone number as an emergency contact if the dad can’t get home quickly.

Don’t call CPS unless you have evidence the child is not safe. Is the building locked? Is there a front desk person or concierge available at night? Does the apartment have good locks, a camera system, an alarm system or any other safety features? What about the building? If the smoke alarm went off, at least you know they work.

Some kids are pretty responsible at 9, others don’t mature until they’re over 30. Invite them for cookies & milk & just express your concerns & let them reassure you they have things worked out, or find out if things could work better and offer helpful ideas.

Thank you for looking out for your neighbors.

10 Likes

It depends on the kid. Some are more mature than others. Just keep an eye out. Offer to do so to the dad.

1 Like

Working nights he may have no other options and he may be on nights just to make ends meet

2 Likes

That’s so sad! If you can, maybe talk to the dad and see if you could use an extra key and go check on him every hour and make sure he eats and gets to bed at a decent time. Again, if you’re able to. Idk how well you know them but If the dad is willing to leave the child home alone almost every night of the week, then he probably wouldn’t care about you checking on him. Or maybe report it to the owner of the place and hopefully they will make him make arrangements so that the child isn’t home alone.

2 Likes

Have yòu talked to the Dad

How about mind your own business? I used to do things alone, including trick or treat, when I was that age and I turned out just fine. It’s bad enough if you helicopter your own kids, don’t do it to a kid that isn’t even yours. Creepy. Mind your own.

7 Likes

Have you talked to dad or offered help to him before posting on Facebook just to look like you care?

7 Likes

Holy bloody hell… Just talk to the father… what is wrong with some of you people… Holy crap buckets… the dad obviously HAS to work, or are YOU going to be paying his rent and stuff? Is there a daycare open all night? Can he even afford daycare!!! YOU need to understand that some parents are ALONE and don’t have people to depend on… AND they have to make tuff decisions because they don’t have a choice… before moving, we stayed FAR away from family and friends, my kids went to school quite a distance from the house, and more than once I had a sick child that couldn’t make the walk, and I had to leave them home to take the other one to school… I didn’t have a choice, my husband was working and I was alone with our kids… so stop being so judgmental, and yes, you’re not concerned, you’re judgmental, otherwise you would have approached the dad, instead of trying to make yourself look like a wonderful person on here… I’m sorry, but that’s how I feel and see this… My friends mother had to leave her home too a lot of times, it was just her and her mom… do you think it’s easy leaving your child? Hell no it’s not, but someone obviously had to put food on the table and pay the bills… Lord some of you people…

14 Likes

Are you going to offer to help? I was left alone at 9. Maybe he cant afford it. And its night time there is no daycares

4 Likes

Depends. Some kids are extremely mature for their age. But how do you know the smoke alarms go off because of him? I’d say before calling CPS. On what sounds like a single father trying his best. Talk to him and offer to help? Jumping to calling cps right off the bat just sounds petty on your part to be honest.

5 Likes

At 9 I was keeping my newborn brother by myself overnight. If he’s mature enough to handle it, I wouldn’t interfere. The father may be working ther only job he can to provide right now.

2 Likes

In WA it’s 12, idk where they are but it’s illegal in my state. Maturity may play a role but that’s just awful and sad

Talk to the dad. He may be doing it tough. Atleast he has a job trying to make ends meet

1 Like

So many issues here! Could be illegal, in my state it is under 12…maybe he can’t afford a sitter, that’s makes it safe? Nope. Some seriously rude comments here. I’m a mandates reporter so if I talked to dad and he acted like it was no biggie or got losses I’d report, if he said he couldn’t afford childcare or couldn’t get another job I’d tell homies it ok and I have t on report do he may want to figure out another route. Safety first. Girls mature earlier than bits so women saying they were left alone at this age and were fine might be a while different thing, also when was was that? 20 + years ago? Totally different times,different laws everything. Look up the age I. Ur state and then Talk to the dad, ur gut will tell u where to go from there

These are the kind of situations where everyone says ‘mind your business’ until something happens… then it’s ‘why didn’t you do anything, you knew something was going on!!’ You are in a rough spot, good luck

2 Likes

Well, I do know theres a Legal age for some states, but besides that, just like anything else…it depends on the kid. Most kids wont even WANT to stay home alone if they aren’t ready. It’s all about preparedness, making sure the kid knows what to do and not do. Trick or treating alone is sad sad sad!!

Maybe he has no choice. Maybe the kid likes to go trick treating alone. There is a fine line in law. Leaving a 9yo overnight. Definately not. Duck down to the shops. Reasonable. If you look careful at the laws. It is not illegal (at least in my state victoria.) But can be if unreasonable. That can be a very fine line.

2 Likes

When my two kids were 12@11 I had to work and someone call child welfare on me because they were left alone at that time my husband pass away and I had to work people should mind there own business when they don’t know what is going on

16 Likes

Just offer to keep him at night for free

1 Like

This would be considered neglect or reckless endangerment where I’m from. 9 is a child and you would get in serious trouble. What if he cut himself, there was a fire, someone tried to take him. I know people have to work but also there are sitters, neighbours etc and people you can ask for help.
If you were in a position to volunteer to help mind him and let him sleep in your house ?
If he wont accept the help I’d be raising my concerns, if something happened could you forgive yourself?

1 Like

I have an incredibly mature 9 year old and would have no qualms leaving him on his own if I had to. Every kid is different. This boy is likely fine. Offer the dad and the boy your help, that you are right there if the boy ever needs anything. It would likely be reassuring to both

15 Likes

It sounds like the dad is doing what he has to do to support his family and the child is obviously mature enough to be home alone. I’m 32 and I set smoke alarms off in my home on accident just cooking. Offer to help or mind your business. Don’t cause them issues when they obviously are trying their best to make it. My state is 8 years old. Not sure of yours, but I know plenty of eight year olds mature enough to be home alone.

15 Likes

My stepson is 10 and we have left him in charge of my 7 year old at home. We have no set age limit. No more than a hour max and all my neighbors are home. Their uncle lives 3 blocks from us. I baby sit the neighbors kids and in return he always has a phone to use in case of emergency for my two. Numbers for both me and my husband. And they both know if they don’t feel safe to go to his house or uncles and have them call us. They are mature enough to microwave pizza rolls or hotdogs. They are fine till we get home. The dog is out as soon as they realize no one is home. Cats everywhere. I know some kids younger that stay home alone but I know kids older that can’t. If we didn’t think he was mature enough we would ship them to their uncles. They have another uncle in town as well and an aunt. The community watches everyone’s kids so they are pretty safe. But I understand too. If you think he isn’t mature enough to be alone offer to watch him. Maybe he didn’t trick or treat with you because he doesn’t know you that well.small steps first. Get to know him if possible. Get to be friends with his dad and him. He seems to be taught well that you don’t talk to strangers. Maybe his wife died. Maybe he could use help but he isn’t sure who to ask. If all else fails let them know your door is open and you have a phone for him to use if something happens. O and exchange numbers with dad. Let his dad know that if he needs to call you he can come over and call. That if he just doesn’t feel safe no matter the hour he has a place to go. May not seem like a lot but it is. If all that fails and in your state he is underage call the police.

5 Likes

Depends on laws in ur state and maturity

Even through some kids are extremely mature, and in Ontario they have a staying home alone for kids who are 10 and a babysitting course with cpr. Laws are different in every state or province. Mr personally my older 2 are very mature I left them alone when they where 12 and 10 but not for long periods, and there where 2 of them. My concern would be what if others have notice and someone try to break in or hurt them or even take them. No matter the maturity there still a child at that age. I would maybe try and talk to the dad maybe offer the child to be at your place. Maybe he’s doing the best he can and has no one. I don’t think like I said no matter the maturity he should be alone overnight and on his own as much. I don’t think it’s safe we live in a crazy world full of crazy people and what if something happens to him. Anything can happen.

1 Like

Sometimes a parent has no one to rely on but themselves. Dad has to work to provide roof over his child head and food in his mouth. If he doesn’t do that the risk is homelessness. Maybe you can just keep an eye out .

9 Likes

He has a parent providing for him if it works for them leave them be.

4 Likes

Where I am, it’s no set age but they do say, the Red Cross between 9 and 11 if given they do a stay-at-home course which my son has done, he is 11 years old and he does stay home. I don’t know about being all night tho, if I did leave him alone usually it’s during the day and it’s only a few hours

1 Like

Sometimes it takes a village. I’ll take it that mom isn’t present in the kids life for whatever reason and sometimes as a single parent you aren’t left with a whole lot of options. Why don’t you let the kid know that you are right there if he ever needs anything or if there’s an emergency and just check up on him when you can.

15 Likes

Sounds like they are trying their best offer to help or leave them alone

5 Likes

Mind your own business. Some parents do all they can to put a roof over their kids heads, and food on the table. Things could be worse. I’m 30, and when I was 8 or 9 I was left at home after school alone, and sometimes left to watch my younger sister. We turned out just fine and it taught me life coping skills early on. Also made me street smart, which a lot of kids dont have these days.

8 Likes

I’m sure they wouldn’t leave him alone if he wasn’t mature enough.

Mind your own, and take care of your own kid’s.

If you are that worried about it talk to the parents NOT social media.

6 Likes

My older two are 9 and 8… we have gone out to run errands for a couple hours and left them home. They HATE going out and sometimes it’s so much easier. Granted my in-laws live in the apartment below us so if they really needed anything they could go down but they don’t. We lock the door so no one can come up and they stay in front of their PlayStation.
They have the run of the house and know what not to do.

You also have to think about maturity along with age. Some 9 year olds may be extremely mature for their age while others are not and can’t be left home alone. It really goes on a case by case level, each kid is different. But I would offer the dad and kid help and just let them know you are they if they ever needed anything, they may not take the offer but at least you know you did your best.

3 Likes

Some 8 yr olds are really mature and literally can do almost anything on their own you never know the situation offer to be there as a backup if the kid needs someone but maybe the dad is doing his best on his own

1 Like

Not your circus, not your monkeys, worry about your own self.

3 Likes

Mind your business…sounds like he’s a single father trying to provide…either help watch him or let it be

8 Likes

Maybe the dad has no choice. Offer to help, maybe he’ll be thankful that he doesn’t have to worry about his child while he’s working.

8 Likes

It sounds like dad is doing his best. I get that you are worried but in this case I would offer my help to the dad. Have a conversation with him. Tell him that you are there if his kiddo needs anything. Give him your phone number. Help in any way you can.

5 Likes

I’m 22 and still set off the smoke alarm sometimes. Shit happens.

A parent knows their own kid how capable they are to be left on their own they aren’t daft to just leave them like that without consideration and which child hasn’t had one or two fire alarms going on due to a burned toast my son’s 15 yrs old he’s always letting the fire alarm go off while im in the house. Its no one’s business you shouldn’t get involved speak with the father if u have to cause u don’t know what’s really going on in their lives. By going to the Cps ur ruining the family when it really doesnt need to happen

2 Likes

If hes setting off smoke alarms he isnt mature enough to be left alone all night.

1 Like

So is dad the only one with little man? You could always offer to let him come hang out or bring him dinner or something so you can at least see that he is okay. My brother and I were hime when we were younger because my parents had to work and child care is very expensive. I’m not saying it’s right but I’m saying it’s life for some folks. If you’re worried make some offers of compassion, help don’t look down on someone or get judgy about it. Offering to have him stay with you guys at night or something may make an enormous difference to that family. Be kind, be patient and try to empathize

6 Likes

Call CPS leaving a child alone is never ok!!!

4 Likes

Why not just go over and ask to help out? You dont know the whole situation, and better to ask than assume.

1 Like

My 9 year old is more independent and mature then most adults I know. Maybe offer your assistance and ask if the child can stay at your house on nights he has to work, and help get him ready for school the next day. Sounds like you have never been a single parent, be thankful.

7 Likes

So let’s tell all the creeps out there you know where’s a boy alone

It depends on your state. In Texas kids under 12 can’t be left alone. I would definitely call CPS.

6 Likes

To respond to the actual question ( trying to keep myself on track here) check your state laws, they may have ab age. If not, it is dependent on the maturity level of the child.

Being a single parent is hard.
Try talking to dad next time you see him if you can help. If not keep an ear out & let them be.

1 Like

This is so strange. I see how this is ok during the day . Maybe a few hours after school waiting for the parent to get home. But all night is a problem. In different states there are different laws. In my state . As long as they are mature they can be home alone as long as they have a working phone. But every state is different . Also I’ve noticed that when it’s a dad parent . Everyone says oh there doing the best he can. Try helping and that’s great. But if this said mom left her child all night. Everyone would be screaming neglect and abuse. Everyone has problems. Everyone has to work to keep food in these kids mouths.

3 Likes

My 10 almost 11 and 9 year old started staying home alone alot when they were 8 and 9. My husband and I have dates or work the most thing that happens is they play video games or sometimes get in fights ,but they have a cell phone know. my number. It depends on the kids but I trust mine if YOURE complaining. Do something to help or step off.

4 Likes

If you really are that concerned and feel it necessary to get involved, I would attempt to get with the father and ask him if he has a moment to chat. Let him know that you arent trying to pry or be a nuisance but you’ve noticed that his child is often home alone and (dont mention being concerned about his safety or anything like that, just tell him you felt bad that he may be LONELY. This is much better than hinting at the fact that you may feel the dad isnt doing his job as a parent. In which case he could get pissed) you wanted to see if you could help out in any way by having a playdate with the kids a couple times a week or inviting him over for dinner every now and then. Let him know that you are more than happy to keep an eye out as well as trying to spend some time so that hes not alone so often. By putting it this way, you wont offend him, piss him off, or make him think that you are trying to pry. This could also open up a conversation where he may tell you what’s going on exactly and then you will be more informed on what the situation really is. NO MATTER WHAT, please don’t call CPS. that’s the absolute worst, most cruel thing that you could do. Just be friendly and dont come off as concerned.

8 Likes

If u have such a problem then help or stay out of it. sounds like hes doing his best to provide for his son. Tf

7 Likes

Smh what’s the point in posting this stuff u shouldn’t judge anyone else u have no clue what’s going on in their lifes it seems like they are doing what they need to do to support their families being judgmental is not ok I’m a working mom and I’d snap if I saw someone post something like this smh

1 Like

9 is not old enough in my opinion. I think my boys were 12 and 14 before I left them alone over night and they have always be very responsible boys!
We did once they started waking up to the sound of alarms! Lol I figured if they don’t wake up to the sound of the smoke alarm, its not safe to leave them alone!
We are fortunate that we’ve never needed to leave them alone. Some don’t have a choice and can’t afford child care.

For all those saying call CPS, why wouldn’t you offer to help? Hes a single dad.maybe the mom died at childbirth, is a drug addict or whatever reason she isnt in the picture. So now he is a single dad trying to make ends meet. Which if you’ve ever been a single mom, you know how tough it is. So this man took a night shift so he could make several extra dollars and maybe he has no family and cant afford night daycare. I guarantee he is worried sick at work and his mind is with his child. So why not offer to help. Even if it isnt all night offer to make sure he gets dinner and In bed and maybe check on him occasionally. Damn, why call cps and make a stressful situation for that family even worse.

What the hell! Call the authorities!

2 Likes

It depends on where you live what the age law is and the maturity of the child…please with the parent shaming …y’all need Jesus. Instaed of “REPORT” how about HELP OUT

1 Like

To anyone suggesting that cost be called asap. You’re ridiculous! I’d talk to the father first and see if there is help needed . It could be the way it is because he is working very heard to provide a life for his child and that kid could be his reason for doing anything he does and then comes along nosy Nancy with her judgement CaLl CpS AnD SePeRAtE tHeM! ( To the poster I am not saying you are nosy that was meant for some over the top commenting, you’re sweet if this comes from concern. If definitely discuss with the father before deciding what’s best for a family. )

5 Likes

Mind your own business maybe? Obviously his parents trust him to leave him alone, and he’s not your kid. Calling cps like some are suggesting is fucked up, also. Just mind your own business.

Im sure its not a HEY I THINK ILL LEAVE MY KID ALONE AT NIGHT N HELL SEE WHAT HAPPENS…kind of situation ! Concerned? Help dont Hinder !

2 Likes

He is way too young to be alone !

But if that dad didnt go to work to provide then there would be a post about that! Mind ya business! Keep an eye out for him, offer him a safe place to play and do homework, offer a hot meal but QUIT with the judgment!

2 Likes

I think I would tell the parent that the child can come to you if he needs anything. I wouldn’t get child services involved, but I would offer help. It must be scary for the child to sleep alone without a parent around at night.

My 9 year old stays home alone after school and when on break. Shes done great. At night I’d try to make sure she was in bed at least. Shes not allowed to cook, go outside, ect shes pretty good at following the rules. Offer help or just keep an eye on him from a far. But stop judging this single dad whose doing his best.

If it were me I would be really worried about the child. Talk to the dad tell him you know he’s doing the best he can but leaving a 9 year old alone all night is so wrong. Are you willing to let the kid stay with you while the dad works? If so talk to the dad and let him know what could happen if he continues to leave the child alone. Beside all the things that could happen someone will eventually find out and report it and he will have his child taken away.

As a single mom my daughter was home alone at 12 2-3 hours in the morning when I left for work. She could get herself up and dressed and fed and walk herself to school. But at 9 there was no way. She was not responsible enough at that age. I’d talk to dad. Maybe offer to check on the boy at night or something. Involving CPS could really mess up their family.

Depending on state laws, it’s up to the parent to decide what their child can handle. Some kids grow up faster than others, because they’ve had to. Some 12 year olds are more mature than college students, because they have to be. He may be young,. But don’t underestimate him just because you’re not used to seeing independent children.

1 Like

I don’t want to say call CPS but sometimes when I hear horrible stories about what happens to kids when they’re alone (fires, kidnap, etc), it’s like better safe than sorry…right? Maybe talk to Dad? Offer to check on him periodically?

4 Likes

Thank you for not just immediately calling CPS and putting this family through a whirlwind of even more trouble than they are obviously going through.
Be there. Be available. Befriend the family.
But DO NOT make their lives harder.
Maybe talk to the dad. Hopefully, he will talk to his kid about minding you when he’s not around that way you get that bit of authority.
Have the dad’s number handy in case you ever see anything that’s not right and requires the dad’s attention.

6 Likes

I would mind your own on this one. Be there for support. Ask Dad if you can cook meals for this child and help get him on a schedule. But don’t try and get involved by telling them how you think it should be, or worse calling authorities. You have a choice to help in this situation or make it much harder. Please make the right choice.

24 Likes

You may not have all the information. What if that is the only option for the father to provide for the child talk to the father ask if HELP is wanted/needed. But otherwise just keep eye out for child but would not involve authorities.

10 Likes

Every child is different. It has to be a case by case. I have a 22 year old son a 19 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. Last year I had a heart transplant I was I. The hospital 3 months before i received my heart, and my daughter took over as mom to my son. She got up and got him ready for school, did homework, bathed him and put him to bed every night. She is the mature one and always has been. My older son has always been the rule breaker, push the limits kid and he was in the army. But my daughter is the adult in the house. Ever since she was 11 she has made wise choices and just has been a little mom to her brother, and has passed that on to him. He knows what’s right and wrong and likes to do what’s right. Age doesn’t mean anything, it all comes down to their personality. Each child has their own.