What age should kids learn about guns?

At what age should a child learn about guns? My son’s preschool sent home nerf guns as a gift for Christmas to all the boys. The age on the nerf gun says 8 years+. This kind of upset me. Am I overreacting?

86 Likes

Never to early to learn about gun safety the dos and don’ts

34 Likes

Yes your overreacting

37 Likes

I am licensed to carry and do it fact carry. My 7 year old has shot rifles with my dads help, at my cousins farm, the first time she was 5, maybe a little younger. She knows guns are absolutely not toys to never, ever touch one with the supervision of an adult. I also live in Iowa, where hunting is a normal part of life. A child is never to young to learn about gun safety.

****And don’t come at me about my child learning to shoot, don’t like it keep scrolling

108 Likes

Yes you are over reacting. Kids play with nerf guns Kids make “guns” from legos , sticks broom sticks fingers. Teach children what to do when they see a REAL gun. Dont touch leave it alone get an adult. Foam darts are not the issue ( well except when you get shot in the eye that hurts)

12 Likes

If there’s guns in the house then it should be taught very young. My kids weren’t allowed to shoot fake guns until they shot a real one and were NEVER allowed to do face shots. Also, we never got them nerf guns but they have played with them at others houses. I’m not anal about it but i was raised that until you know the dangers of a real gun, you don’t play with a fake one. But gun education is key.

10 Likes

Here’s my daughter with her gun, she got it for Christmas right before she turned five. Before that she had a bolt action nerf gun and spent two years learning proper gun safety while using an innocent nerf gun. To us that’s important and we feel no age is too young. I respect it makes some people cringe.

19 Likes

No you’re not overreacting. Everyone doesnt like their kids playing with toy guns. 🤷

8 Likes

Teach them about gun safety.

1 Like

You are overreacting! Teach your son how to use it properly. Dont shoot anyone or any animal.

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re overreacting. It’s okay if you’re not comfortable with your kid playing with nerf guns. I’m also not comfortable with my kid playing with toy guns.

3 Likes

I think you have a right to your feelings, but there isn’t ever a bad time to teach them. My oldest daughter is two, and she plays with her uncles nerf guns. She knows not to point them at people and that the bullets hurt if they hit you.

2 Likes

It’s a great opportunity to discuss gun safety as well as the difference between toy guns and real guns.
Don’t overreact. Educate.

4 Likes

Both my 5 year old girls have shot not only rifles but pistols also obviously with adult help at all times. Gun safety and control is something that may be the difference between life and death at some point in their lives whether we want to think about it or not, the worlds a sick place right now. I’d rather mine learn to use and understand the rules and regulations. Their uncles are cops so they help teach them. They know not to ever touch one and that ours are all put up but they come with us when all of us go out to practice too. Better safe than sorry.

1 Like

My 4 year old daughter has a lot of nerf guns…we teach her to not shoot in the face or head but her bonus dad taught her some gun safety last year and will probably continue to do so this year. Either way she will be taught. Nerf guns are innocent, let kids be kids. I remember in the 90s we had fake bows and arrows and cap guns and nerf guns etc.

If anything you could teach him how to handle a real gun by showing him with a fake one.

Yeah you’re being over the top. Chill out. Teach him gun safety and if you cant, find someone who will be able to talk to him about it.
It’s really not a big deal.

2 Likes

Me personally think if the opportunity to start teaching hun safety opens up, you take advantage of it. I grew up with a gun cabinet in the living room at my house and my moms parents house and guns in the downstairs of my dads parents house. Both sides of my family and their friends were big hunters. I knew before I was able to walk that they weren’t toys and dangerous. Now I don’t have any in my house, if I can I tell my kids basics.

2 Likes

Never too early to teach your kids gun safety. A nerf gun is a safe and easy way to do that. Just because you don’t have guns doesn’t mean somebody else close to them doesn’t. 3 of my kids have already been taught gun safety ages 10, 4, and 3. They also each have their own guns. The oldest has four of them. My youngest will be taught when he turns 2! We live in the country and are a hunting family though! It is a continuous thing to teach. But if you don’t like guns, toss it. Nobody’s business except yours.

3 Likes

I understand if you don’t want your kids to have guns BUT my brother and I grew up with guns in the house. My grandpa, dad, brother and all of my uncle’s hunt. Guns in the house was a part of life. My dad’s theory is if I’m going to have guns in the house my kids will know how to use them and respect them. My brother and I learned how to shoot when we were so small our dad had to stand behind us and help hold the gun. I’m the same way with my 5 years old daughter. She knows to never mess with a real gun unless there is an adult present. Teach them young and they will grow up with a respect for guns and less likely to hurt someone or themselves

1 Like

No matter how you feel about guns, it is never to early to teach them about gun safety.

5 Likes

Both my girls have been shooting guns since they were tiny tikes. They know to disassemble, clean and reassemble firearms. They’re now 9 and 16. Gun safety is something that should be taught at an early age if you keep guns in your home. But if it’s just a Nerf gun, idk why you’re freaking out over it. We all played with toy guns as kids and nobody batted an eye.

2 Likes

Yes you are! Teach your child proper gun safety at a young age!

4 Likes

It’s a nerf gun yes your over reacting and you should use this gift to educate him on the difference and how to use them it’s a perfect opportunity to teach him in today’s world there is no too young to learn about guns its sad but it’s the truth

3 Likes

It’s Ultimately up to you.
Nerf guns are just toys
Teach them gun safety, my son knows gun safety and has shot a gun under licensed professionals and never alone, with proper gear. But we go to the mountains shooting since he was 5

My kids play with Nerf guns. I’m waiting till a little bit older to actually shoot a gun but we do already talk about gun safety

I was shooting guns when i was 4… safety first.

1 Like

Is this for real?!?!

1 Like

The age suggestion is probably due to the bullets being able to be chewed up and the ends are plastic choking hazard

My kids earned to shoot and gun safety when they were around 2 and started hunting. 6 kids and they can all operate a gun safely.

2 Likes

I personally think that you’re overreacting but it’s your child so you have to do whatever you feel is right for you guys.

I started teaching my girls when they were toddlers with their toy water guns and nerf guns. We also teach them to wear safety glasses with nurf guns. We teach them a gun safety because we have real guns, all children should know gun safety because all homes they go into are not all gonna be gun free.

3 Likes

My 3year old loves nerf guns and all fake guns but she also knows to NOT touch her dads guns. Never too early to teach them about guns.

Now would be a great time to teach them!

2 Likes

Yes you are. All my grandchildren started with nerf guns at 2 next with BB guns, gun safety. 22 at 6 then up from there. Never too early to teach them!

3 Likes

My girls have been around guns their whole lives. My 10 year old has been shooting since she was 4 with bb guns and moved to single shot rifles around 5 and pistols when she was 6. We carry in our house so gun safety is a priority. Even with nerf guns. No pointing at anyone’s face and no shooting within a certain distance with certain more powerful guns.

1 Like

My sons going on 4 and has learned gun safety FROM NERF GUNS as dads family are avid hunters and there are guns in everyone’s homes so figured this age with you guns is best to teach him.

My 5 y.o is obsessed. :confused: we don’t even own any real guns. He got it from tv. But we also teach him gun safety as well.

Lol yeah your beinga dumbass

It’s never too early to teach safety. If you don’t want him to have a nerf gun, don’t let him. You are his mom, you can also tell the preschool that you appreciate the gift but it was inappropriate for them to give toy guns out to young kids.

Need guns give kids the idea that guns are just fun play things, if you do not teach your children safety they will not understand that a real gun isn’t a toy. A school shouldn’t be giving out a toy gun.

2 Likes

My 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 year olds all play with nerf guns. Gun safety should be taught early so they know not to touch real guns

1 Like

I think you’re overreacting. My daughter has one and she’s 3.

So the problem is clearly not it being a “TOY GUN” but an age appropriate issue :woman_facepalming: since you have a problem with it you should take the toy back to the teacher and ask teacher to choose something age appropriate

2 Likes

I let my 2 year old play with nerf guns and toy guns. And my 7 year old nephew has shot real guns and completely 100% understands the safety guidelines and how really and dangerous guns are. He has since he was 5.

Ummmm a nerf gun is not even close to comparable to a real gun. They don’t even look like real guns.

Got my first gun, a 22 at age two. Family tradition. Hunters.

1 Like

It’s a nerf gun…yes you are overreacting.

1 Like

It’s never to early to learn about gun safety.

1 Like

Never too old! My grandpa and dad taught my brother and I at very young ages. My 6yo was taught gun safety at 4 when he got a nerf gun. He knows we don’t shoot people (unless him and his brothers are having a nerf war and even then nothing above the shoulders). We don’t point guns at people and unless you are aiming at something the barrel is pointed towards the ground.

I’m kinda shocked that a preschool for two reasons: 1) most schools, at least in the USA have a “no weapons allowed” policy, which would include guns of any type; 2) because the staff didn’t give the children developmentally age-appropriate toys (ages 8+ is stated on nerf gun).
No, you are not overreacting.

7 Likes

There is a video called Eddie Eagle I think from the NRA and it’s an awsome video for kids to learn about gun safety. The age depends on when they are exposed to them, we are hunters so the kids have been taught since they where one or so about guns and gun safety. Even if you don’t want it and take it back you can still explain to your child why you are taking it back and why you don’t agree with them having it.

1 Like

Its a nerf gun, My kids have been around guns since they were born and have all taken a hunters safety course, never to early to teach them

Um yea you are. It’s a toy my son loves them he’s almost 2. He also liked those cap guns that make the loud pop

I have 3 boys and my older two got nerf guns at around age 5/6. I don’t see anything wrong with them as long as you are educating them about real and fake guns. However, as a early education teacher, that would definitely not be a gift I would choose to give my students. I would say you are not over reacting. If this was me, I probably wouldn’t make a big deal out of it to the school but I would definitely think the gift was an odd choice. Just so many other options to gift preschool kids in my opinion.

1 Like

my son was 2 when he started picking up objects and shoot them like a gun which is weird because I never let him watch anything with guns or buy him toy guns. my mom watched him while I worked but she respected my wishes to not teach him guns are toys so I know he never seen a gun before playing with said object. I gave up the fight and changed it to gun safety 100%

It depends. I don’t think it’s a big deal about the age portion, but I do feel it isn’t an appropriate gift from a educational facility.
I don’t think it’s ever too early for children to know and identify what a firearm is, to understand it can be dangerous if not handled properly and to know not to touch one unsupervised.
We are a family that has firearms and practices firearm safety, my child is 4. It just depends on how you feel about the topic.

2 Likes

Idk my son is two and we’re teaching him gun safety because everyone in my family owns a gun. He also has his own (.22) that he has when we go outshooting. He knows it’s not a toy and is being taught the difference between his real one and his toy ones. But he still is taught lot to point it at anyone no matter what

1 Like

My daughter shot her first gun at 3. Its never too early

1 Like

It’s a nerf gun yes your overreacting are your kids not allowed to play with squirt guns either

1 Like

It’s a toy gun. Just teach your child not to shoot towards the face. If your child becomes a mass murderer from playing with a nerf gun, you had more problems then just a toy gun. If you’re concerned about the age, take it to the store and exchange it for a different toy and let the teacher know how you felt about the gift. :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I agree with you Kara Johnson

1 Like

I started taking my kid to the range at 4, I have a weapon on me anytime I leave the house, we have them strategically placed throughout the house. My son is now 13, he knows they are not toys, he has several inherited firearms that he will cherish when he is older. You have 2 choices, you can either teach gun safety & or let them learn gun stupidity.

2 Likes

Shoot… my 3 year old has shot guns. And is learning the safety of them. Teach em young and they will be far smarter with them

Yes. Overreacting. Teach them young. Have nerf wars with them and teach them not to aim at the face or above the waist

3 Likes

Both of my kids shot their first .22 rifle at age 7. They have been adamantly taught gun safety their entire lives. All of their uncles have been in the military and many police officers in our family. Teaching gun safety early(even with a nerf gun) is a good course of action

1 Like

I believe it would be better for him to be aware of then except oblivious. Anything could happen in public and could help if he was to know that a gun can be dangerous. Gun safety is never a bad thing, and that can begin with using toy guns and how not to point them at people

Teach them young they will learn it’s not a toy. My boys went through hunter safety at 6 on their own. They have grown up to be great men

1 Like

Yeah your definitely overreacting, it’s a nerf gun not a machine gun😂

1 Like

To all the people who are asking is this for real?! Obviously the question states, “it kind of upset me” Talking about the preschool. I used to work at a preschool where pretending to play guns or making guns out of blocks was strictly not allowed. My son will definitely learn gun safety and be able to play with toy guns. But should the educators at a preschool give these as a gift? Probably not. Anyone work at a preschool?

5 Likes

Kids should learn as soon as they are able to understand.
You never know where a kid may find a gun especially in a city

2 Likes

I started teaching about basic safety as soon as they started playing with toy guns. Letting them know what right from wrong as soon as possible. Mental and muscle memory are important and it’s never too early to learn - we can only watch our children so much.
We hear stories all the time about children finding things at parks, walking home from school, playing at a friends/relatives…instilling them and consistently will hopefully pay off just in case!

1 Like

I can’t believe some of these questions are actually real life questions. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I taught mine about guns and she shot her first rifle with my help between 2 and 3. She’s now 8 and has 2 of her own (yes kept in my safe and only used with supervision and assistance when needed). She knows how to use it properly and her safety rules that are put in place. She’s constantly learning everytime we go out and she comes hunting with me. Teaching early on is key.

2 Likes

Mine start at 3. Gun education can never start to early

2 Likes

Omg yes you are! My 5yo knows about guns and plays with nerf guns and she loves them! They need to know gun safety and gun knowledge.

1 Like

We teach ours from toddlers- squirt guns n nerf guns… Sorta basic rules of- never look in barrel n ask permission to touch.

My son is 8 and knows about real guns and gun safety. He’s had nerf guns since he was 2.

My boy is 5 now and has nerf since he was prob 2. We taught the difference between a real gun and a toy as soon as my son could comprehend what we were saying. He has TONS of toy guns but he knows those are not the same. He understands they are deadly force and he is to stay away from any gun aside from his nerfs. I think it’s silly to be upset with the school, it’s not like they sent him home with a Tech9.

Guns should not be encouraged

2 Likes

I dont like toy guns , I feel guns and gun safety should be taught as early as 2nd grade but I think anyone including kids should always think of guns as a serious non play activity.

1 Like

Is it just me that was most shocked at the fact they only gave them to the boys? :eyes: I mean it’s inappropriate as hell in general but they’ve just thrown a bit of sexism in there too. Sound like a fantastic preschool! sarcasm

2 Likes

My sons been shooting since bout 4 . Now we go out hunting. He is 12 . He has his own shot gun and pistols to use . He also really mature for his age and responsible.

1 Like

My son went on his first hunting trip when he was 3 years old (of course he wasn’t the one shooting), he was learning. He was taught from an early age what a gun is and how dangerous they could be if you didn’t use gun safety. Fast forward to today and he knows more about the parts of a gun and how many types and what each do and sound like, than me. He is 13 years old and owns 12 guns from BB guns, pellet guns, rifles, and shotguns. Is he supervised still while using the rifles and shot guns? ABSOLUTELY! But the others he goes out and walks around our homestead and woods everyday. He shoots targets and (season permitting) small game. He is a true hunter and adventurer. And as far as what nerf guns are, he got one when he was 2 years old maybe a little sooner. He started off with the younger smaller ones and then had the big ones in no time. Guns, are protection, guns put food on some people’s tables but guns are powerful and dangerous if you don’t teach the safety. I believe ever child should know what they are and how important it is to treat guns with respect whether the own them or only know about them.

3 Likes

I’m from the UK so guns aren’t common here, but I still think if they’re going to learn about guns, it should be about the safety rather than in the form of toys - toys is painting them as fun and a play thing :nauseated_face:

I have a 4 year old that im teaching gun safety to. I just bought a 9mm so I want to make sure that he knows everything about guns starting with safety. I am surprised that his preschool sent those home considering kids have been expelled from school for even having a Nerf gun in their room during zoom classes

We taught our girls about gun safety at an early age.

1 Like

The earlier the better. My grandbabies got their 1st bb gun around 3 or 4 and were immediately taught gun safety! They now know how to properly handle a gun and understand that is it not a toy but a tool. We’ve been doing nerf wars for years!!! It’s a tradition at holidays

9 Likes

There’s no age to early to learn safety. We use nerf guns as a good teaching method. “Don’t point at people” etc. you can never be to careful but you can’t keep them from it either

1 Like

My toddler has an older brother and they play Nurf guns. I wouldn’t be too worried.
I don’t think it’s ever too early to talk about play guns vs real guns. We hunt and have guns in the house so education is very important.

Lmfao I’ve got a cousin who is 7 now, he’s got a whole arrsenal of nerf guns​:rofl::rofl::rofl: he’s had them for a while and just keeps collecting to have nerf wars

They should learn early. If we educate properly, we cut out the curiosity. I would trust any of my kids over most adults with gun safety and trigger control.

1 Like

A parent should make those decisions, not a school!

6 Likes

A nerf gun is a perfect opportunity to start explaining the differences between a toy gun that shoots a foam dart vs. a real gun. Gun safety is important, and what you as a parent make it. As the child gets older include more in depth safety.

1 Like

My kids know gun safety at an early age. My son has BB guns and he is 11. They know all the rules and safety and what a gun can do if pointed at someone. They know to never NEVER touch a “real” gun unless an adult is with them. They know that if they go to friends house to never touch someone’s gun and if their friend gets a gun then run away and call 911 or tell an adult. It’s important to tell kids about guns and gun safety at an early age for sure

1 Like

As early as possible because I don’t necessarily trust other adults to keep theirs in a safe place like I do, if my kid was to be at a friends house for example. Also, I took a hunter safety class with a bunch of kids once and I was surprised how intelligent and respectful they were about gun safety.

1 Like

Never to early to start learning about gun safety!

It’s a toy, not a real one. To me that’s overreacting, to you maybe not. My two year old has them but I was raised around them so it’s different. It’s going to be different for everyone. I’d be more annoyed about only the boys getting them. As a little girl I woulda been crushed to not get one for myself

6 Likes

My kids know about guns, they also know gun safety. We allow toy guns but they know they are to never point them at anything living.

That sounds dangerous to me. We have schools calling the police on kids for playing with nerf guns these days…

it’s a nerf gun…

9 Likes