What age should kids learn about guns?

If you don’t like or feel comfortable with the nerf gun done give it to your son. My best friend was totally against any type of guns with her kids. This is your choice as parent…

1 Like

My kids all started shooting and safety training when they were 3-4. They’re all very knowledgeable on how to safely handle them and are very aware of the dangers of guns. :slight_smile: we go shooting regularly as a family

5 Likes

I’m not going to say your over reacting, everyone has a different opinion on guns. My 5 year old has nerf guns and fake guns. She knows not to touch a real gun unless an adult hands it to her. She also knows not to point a gun at another person.

1 Like

As soon as they’re old enough to understand. The more educated they are about them; safety, proper handling, etc. the better. Especially if you have firearms in your house. My 4 year old knows that she is not allowed to touch a gun without mine or my husband’s say so.

4 Likes

Lol it’s a toy, I’ll never understand the big upset about nerf guns.
It’s NEVER too early to teach hun safety!! The more your children know about them, the safer they will be around them.

5 Likes

We will be teaching our son around 4. That being said we have a coworker that had a great tip to stressing the safety of guns. NO TOY GUNS. He said it sets them up thinking toys are guns when they are not! We will be taking this same approach.

From day one they should be taught to stay away from guns and those who have them.

5 Likes

My goodness your the adult you make the choice not facebook start being a parent as there is going to be many things in life you must do for your child! I can"t believe the things i read on here…

5 Likes

Yea Karen, you’re overreacting.

4 Likes

My son has had nerf guns since age 2. He has also been taught gun safety since age 2. We live with my parents and my dad goes hunting so he has a gun safe. My son knows the nerf guns are just toys and to never touch or go near my dad’s room with his gun safe. He also knows when he is cleaning his guns to stay downstairs until told otherwise.

1 Like

Lol! You wouldn’t like were I grew up. We were hunting & shooting things when I was that age of course with adults holding the gun. Time Flys to fast let kids be kids & have fun that’s seriously so awesome they sent that home that money in the budget obviously can’t tell you I ever got anything from teachers or school!

1 Like

The first mistake is not teaching them. Or teaching them to be scared of them instead of informing them of how to use them safely.

20 Likes

The younger you teach them the better. My kids were learning to shoot guns at 5

11 Likes

Yes. I guess it depends on personal preference but IMO, a child is missing out if they don’t get to play with a nerf gun until they are 8. It’s better to teach a child young so they know early about them… what they are and do. Nerf guns don’t have to used badly. Line up empty pop cans and teach them to aim :blush:

5 Likes

My daughter has known since she was old enough to crawl. I started teaching her early to not touch. She has had nerfed guns for 3 years now has her own bbq gun that she doesnt touxh unless I’m there. It’s all about what your comfortable with. I keep my pistol on the bed side table and shes not once touched it because I enforce gun safety and not hide it from her

My son is 6, & has known about gun safety since he was 3 years old. He’s also had nerf guns since he was about 2-3 years old.
I’d say yes, you are overreacting :woman_shrugging:t4:. But everyone handles things differently. I grew up in a family of hunters, so it was normal for me to have my son learn about guns & gun safety at a young age

5 Likes

Yes. Need guns are not the same as a real gun but they provide an excellent opportunity to teach about guns and gun safety. They’re never too young to learn about gun safety.

25 Likes

My sons been into nerf guns for YEARS and he’ll be 9. Just teach him about gun safety, doesn’t matter if they are real or not.

1 Like

Yes 100% over reacting.

8 Likes

My son has played with Nerf guns since he was 2. I wouldnt be upset at all if my sons teacher gave them to the class. It is a toy. She was trying to be thoughtful. It could be a great tool to use to teach them gun safety. Its never too soon to teach gun safety.

2 Likes

personally, I don’t think guns should ever be made into toys. I believe that teaching proper handling and safety techniques as well as having them help you clean/maintain the guns and helping you store them correctly (obviously without access to the keys/safe combo) Is very important. I don’t want my kid to be afraid of guns per say, but have a very healthy respect for what they are and how to use them. I have a hard time with anything gun related becoming a toy because it is too easy then for the kids to mistake a real gun as a toy.

8 Likes

My 3 year olds has nerf guns :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I was taught to shoot at age 4. An old hunting rifle that’s been in my family for years. Teach him not to point it at other people or anythinghe doesn’t want to shoot, and to treat it like it’s a real and that it’s always loaded. A gun is only as evil as the person holding it.

1 Like

Our household never has guns as toys.

My dad raise me and my sister from birth or crawling about guns

1 Like

Teach them from the youngest age possible. Gun safety should be taught period. And boys will make a “gun” out of anything…sticks, straws, etc. The more prepared they are, the better off when you are not present

4 Likes

Yes …definitely overreacting IMO

4 Likes

My boy have had NERF guns since about 2/3.
My now one year old daughter knows how to load and shoot a NERF gun, because, well, older brothers.
The boys got BB guns at 5/6.
They shot a 22 LR for the first time at 7/8.
They know how to shoot a bow and have been going hunting with their dad for years.
They are knowledgeable on guns, their parts, how they work, and their safety. That knowledge could possibly save their, or someone else’s, life.

2 Likes

I had nerf guns my brother had nerf guns. We didn’t get a lecture on guns bc of it. We knew they were toys and had a blast playing with them. I don’t see the issue. To each their own.

1 Like

Plus, nerf guns are awesome, and a perfect opportunity to teach them

1 Like

Yeah In my opinion. It’s better to teach them when they’re young instead of making them scared of them. Gun safety is important.

I can’t imagine not letting my kids have nerf guns till they’re 8. They’re fun. We all play with them. My youngest got one when he was like 2.

6 Likes

Thank you! Valid question. Guns safety is key. I grew up around guns & use a gun for recreation/hunting I will be teaching my son gun safety. I had a BB gun at a young age but I was always supervised & told “always handle a gun as though it is loaded”

1 Like

Not that serious🤷‍♀️

6 Likes

I’m wrong to ask, my 9 year old
Has a 22 rifle
But he has been educated on gun safety.

3 Likes

Never too young for gun safety.

5 Likes

I think you should teach gun safety from a very young age. That way there’s less accidental deaths/shootings caused by little kids who get ahold of guns (yes , I also know parents should be keeping their guns up & locked as well)

1 Like

You’re not over reacting. A lot of people don’t want their kids to have toy guns. It’s not a big deal. I don’t think the school should be giving out toy guns, especially if they’re not even age appropriate.

1 Like

The younger you teach them the better. Mine are 7 and 10 and have had nerf guns since they were itty bitty and we take them regularly to shoot real ones, teach them gun safety and gun laws, etc. My friends are the same way with their kids.

4 Likes

My son is two. We teach him every opportunity we get, do not touch pow-pows. Powpows are dangerous and we do not touch them. And he listens and understands. We obviously store our guns safely in a safe inside a locked closet. It is never to young to inform them so they are not clueless as to what they are and what dangers they can bring.

3 Likes

I’m from texas, we were shooting real guns by age 7 or 8

3 Likes

You should teach children about gun safety as soon as possible. With or without nerf guns.

I was taught to shoot and target practiced at age 5 with my parents and my now 12 year old son was taught the same. I feel like the sooner they know how dangerous and how much damage they can do the better off you are with gun safety. I would feel comfortable and trusting with a gun lying around my home and my child knowing it’s there… because he respects it.

He has also had his own arsenal of nerf guns since age 3.

My 8 year old can shoot a .22 and my 11 year old went on a hunt for his 10th birthday. Both my boys have been taught gun safety and have been going hunting with their dad since they were little. They both have bb guns as well as nerf guns.

1 Like

I was raised with guns, as are my children. They tell people all the time, I took the mystery and excitement out of it, so they never even thought about them. No matter what your feelings on guns, it’s not too early to teach safety. They will go to friends homes, who may or may not share your values.

I got my first .22 at 6 years old. First pocket knife at 5. So did my 2 older brothers. We were taught that they were tools and not toys. We also grew up on a farm and started helping with chores at 3. My dad always hunted and fished so we knew what killing things were and that they didn’t come back.

No, you’re not overreacting-they are essentially for adults to protect themselves from other violent people. I dont think littles should know the ugliness in the world until they have to. Let them be kids for now. If it’s gifted to them in very educative process when they can handle it yes…

2 Likes

My daughter knows what a gun is, where it is, and she knows that she is not allowed to touch it, and that it’s not a toy. She’s 3.

3 Likes

Be grateful, that’s pretty thoughtful of the school.

2 Likes

My son’s been shooting guns, helping my husband clean guns and all the things involved since he was old enough to follow directions. He can safely load, unload, clean, reload shotgun shells and more.

1 Like

Gun safety is important, and a nerf gun isn’t going to hurt him.

2 Likes

I see no problem with toy guns.

1 Like

My children (now 11 and 9) are raised around guns and definitely had nerf guns before the age of 8. A couple of years ago they got a .22 single bolt action rifle. They’ve been learning about gun safety for years and enjoy going to the range.

3 Likes

Yes, you’re over reacting. However, most schools don’t even allow pretend weapons at all on school grounds, not even for Halloween so I do think it’s odd they’d hand them out as gifts.

5 Likes

My kids started learning about gun safety at 2…but I carry as does their dad.

1 Like

I had a real gun at 8 :woman_shrugging:t2:. I don’t think you can really start teaching them too early. As soon as they’re old enough to want a toy gun they’re old enough to be taught the right way to use them. You’re DEFINITELY overreacting in my opinion

2 Likes

I was taught from a very young age about gun safety, act like every gun you see is loaded, dont touch them, dont point any at others unless you intend to use it etc. It’s a toy, a staple in childhood, it’s not a reason to be upset. Teach your kid gun safety, if you’re comfortable/able take them shooting bb rifles or something like that. IMO it’s not a big deal.

It’s a toy gun for god sake let the little boy have it and teach them that guns aren’t scary as long as they’re in the right hands again don’t kill someone by itself you guys are sheltering kids way too much and it’s what’s wrong with the world today

3 Likes

There’s other things to worry about right now lmao but hey everyone is different

Mine are 7, 5, and 2. The 7&5 are well versed in safety and cleaning. Their dad worked for several firearms manufacturers and we had many in the house so it was important to us that they know everything they needed to

2 Likes

I would say about 4 or 5 to be introduced to safely handle and learn how to respect the weapon. My parents always had guns, hunted, and protected our property. Gun safety was always a priority in my house. And I will do the same for my children.

It’s a freaking toy I’m sorry but you are overreacting

4 Likes

My son had his first gun at 3 years old🤷‍♀️. I am a gun owner. Gun safety is important and should be taught young. If you own guns or not, gun safety is something that should always be talked about. I personally think you are overreacting.

1 Like

I started shooting at age 3. Started learning gun safety before that obviously. We had toy guns, real guns. All the guns. Still do. At 5or 6 we went out with BB guns hunting alone. Do I think all kids need to be doing that? No. But my point is we knew gun safety by then.

However I don’t think the school should be giving them out. That’s very inappropriate. Especially being that it’s age 8+ and you’re child is in preschool.

1 Like

I hate guns and we are teaching our two year old about them already. Education is key. If you’re not happy with the nerf gun, simply explain why it’s not an appropriate toy and don’t let him have it, even if his friends do :woman_shrugging:t5: it’s a good lesson to learn.

3 Likes

My son is 3 and has been playing with nerf guns forever. It’s a toy. But you can teach them gun safety. I think its overreacting BUT he’s your kid, and your feelings are valid!

2 Likes

We are Military and gun owners so Nerf was/is our training tool. Nerf made it easy to explain and teach the whys and why nots.

2 Likes

Started teaching my son about guns when he was 2. The earlier they learn that guns are tools and not toys the better.

2 Likes

Teach your child gun safety

1 Like

My kids never had toy guns growing up… I didn’t ever want to normalise guns. They have no need to be around guns and I should hope they never come into any contact with a gun… Ever!

7 Likes

My son is two and has multiple big nerf guns but hey it’s your child your choice!!

1 Like

Weird, I remember getting my fake gun taken away at school.

1 Like

I see no problem with a nerf gun at any age. It’s a toy. I carry and a lot of my family does. I feel it’s better for children to be taught gun safety early on and even shoot one when they are the appropriate age so there isn’t any curiosity and mishandling later on.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s a nerf gun. My son was a perfect shot with a hunting rifle at age 8. We taught him to respect it, use it correctly, etc. Now at age 18, he hunts alone and fills the freezer doing so. Worry about things that actually matter, not a toy.

2 Likes

Just depends on how YOU want to raise YOUR child. If YOU are not comfortable with YOUR child having guns, real or fake, then YOU have every right to he concerned.

4 Likes

I live in the south so …my answer is going to be different. Kids start learning to hunt as toddlers.

1 Like

My inlaws bought my daughter her first rifle when she was 28days old :rofl:. She is only 9 months and guns are a big part of my inlaws lives so we started talking about gun safety since day one. Of course yes we know she doesn’t fully comprehend what we are telling her and talking about but we are teaching from the very get go how to properly handle and use/storage the guns. Yes all guns are kept locked up in the safes and she does not know where the keys are kept to those safes.

1 Like

My daughter got a bbgun at 4 :woman_shrugging: we practice gun safety just as if it’s a .22 or bigger

3 Likes

We shoot for fun on our own property. My oldest got her first gun at 4 years old and started shooting (pulling the trigger) at about 3. We cover gun safety every time before we start shooting and she’s 10. She learned how to take her own gun apart and clean it at 8. When I was pregnant with my 2 year old, she would do flips when I smelled the gun powder lol, and we will probably be going the same things with her! My 10 year old will not touch a gun without permission, so it’s all in how you teach them! Use fruit to show the damage each caliber gun does so it’s real to them.

1 Like

I don’t remember being taught basic gun safety aside from my hunters safety course when I needed a license but I’ve always known it, my dad hunts and we were all taught very young. If you’re not comfortable with that gift than maybe reach out to the school, I know some preschool kids can have toddler habits like bitting off the bullet tips and some kids can torment siblings with it, but they probably just saw it as a way to play from a distance. Nerf guns are an excellent way to practice gun safety as looking down the barrel isn’t lethal.

1 Like

My sons were 3 when they learned. We show them guns are dangerous and powerful. Evey once in a while we will leave a unloaded gun on the bed and ask them go get a blanket. And they come out saying what we want them to say. WE WONT GET THE BLANKET THERE IS A GUN AND WE WONT GO NEAR IT. We have also told them since day one always assume a gun is load(even if you know it’s not) so finger always off the trigger.

It all came very handy last year. My oldest (8 last year) called me when he was at a friend’s and said Mom my friend is playing with his dad’s gun I told him to put it down and he doesn’t want to listen so I am am at his neighbors house. I told him to stay there and i called the cops as I drove over. It was a 9m s&w with one in the chamber. He knew his dad’s pin to get it from the safe. If we didn’t teach our boys about guns that playdate would have ended another differently.

Take them shooting, have them shoot a watermelon and after they shot it, ask them to put it back together and when they say they can’t explain to them the same thing happens with any shooting even accidents. You can never put it back the way it was. And them have them shoot another watermelon with the nerve guns so they can see the difference between a kids toy gun and a real one

Sorry for the long post

4 Likes

Two. My daughter was two when she first learned how to properly hold a gun. She’s now 23, and fires rounds with the best of them! I’m so proud!!

2 Likes

Gun safety should be a priority imo. Nerf guns are honestly great for teaching safety. My daughter is 4 and knows gun safety. Of course it stays locked up 100% out of her reach, but it’s still great for them to know. You never know if they will come across one thrown out outside or at a friends house by accident.

1 Like

My son will be taught as soon as he can have a conversation. We have guns in our house and for safety reasons he will be taught at an early age to respect them as they are weapons and not toys. But as far as nerf guns go, my son will probably have them as soon as he’s able to hold them :rofl: my husband and I even have nerf gun wars. It’s fun :rofl:

2 Likes

I got my whole family including my 3 yr old nerf guns from Santa as a family gift! But this is ok with my family! Do what is best for your family!

1 Like

My son had a Nerf war 7th birthday party in October with a 1 year old, 2 year old, two 4 year olds, 5 year old, two 6 year olds, 7 year old, 8 year old, two 9 year olds, 11 year old, 14 year old and about ten 20+ year olds. ALL ages had a BLAST. IMO nerf guns are a childhood right of passage…now onto real guns I started instilling gun safety at around 4 or 5 years old. He finally got his first bb gun at 7 years old for Christmas. Only because I trust him and his maturity level. I think the earlier you teach/train a child in gun safety, the better. You never know when or where they may come across a gun.
My cousin and his friend at I think 13 years old found a police issued handgun while walking down the street of our small town many years ago! They took it to his parents and they turned it in. Imagine if it had been children who had not been taught what to do or how to handle it

3 Likes

Our 7 year old has been learning since about 4.

The age depends on the home. If you have guns in your home then as soon as they are born! They can save a life and take one just as quick. Education is important. If you don’t have guns I’d say around ten depending on the child having a talk or something, I am not sure my five year old has gun safety in our home, because we have guns we hunt fish all that jazz. But everyone should understand they can be dangerous as well as very useful. A child with no safety training going over to stay the night at a friends house would scare me. I wouldn’t want my child to be curious without being educated on being safe like an adult should be around. Or even seeing a gun at school and not understanding that it’s a big and dangerous thing.

Use this as an educational experience for your child. Pro gun or not they are here in our world.

1 Like

Umm… my boys got bb guns when they turned 4. If your over reacting over a nerf gun your the problem.

2 Likes

I grew up around guns. We always had them in the house/farm pickups and I knew about gun safety for as long as I can remember. We were also taught how to use them from little on in case we had to protect ourselves. The younger you can teach your kids the better.

My son has been playing with nerf guns before he could walk… lmfao

I see nothing wrong with nerf guns. All kids love nerf gun just like squirt guns. Let him be a kid and enjoy

1 Like

Umm. It’s a nerf gun. So yes to over reacting. Use the nerf gun to teach about gun safety.

3 Likes

Yes you’re overreacting. It’s a TOY, not a glock :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

My son is 2.5. He knows the difference between a nerf gun, laser tag gun, water gun and our real guns. His understanding of each is limited, but he knows he can ‘shoot’ whatever he wants with the laser tag gun, needs to be outside to use the water gun, knows not to shoot the nerf gun at anything not pre-approved, and even though our real guns are locked away out of reach, he knows if he ever sees a gun that’s not his specific toy guns, treat it like it’s real and do not touch it.

3 Likes

Homes that have legal guns teach kids from the time they are born. I am very surprised that any school these days would allow such a thing since some people are so scared of anything that might have the word gun attached to it. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I am suprised a school handed them out. I thought even toy guns weren’t allowed at school… that said, never too young for gun safety for sure.

2 Likes

Are you overreacting? Absolutely! First, it’s a nerf gun (toy) Second, thats the best teaching toy out there. Kids need to learn gun respect early on.

4 Likes

We started taking my son out hunting at age 4 maybe sooner. At age 6 or 7 he got to shoot a .22 with some assistance. He’s watching us shoot many other guns as well lol.

We make him practice gun safety with his nerf guns too lol.

my boys have had toy guns / nerf guns as far back as i can remember. maybe age 2 ish. some parents never want their kids to have toy guns. to each their own. no need to make a big deal, just give it to a family who will enjoy it if you prefer your child not to play with it.

I myself DO NOT like it when kids play with guns, any guns. It feels to me like they’re to young to start “shooting” at people cause that’s what playing with guns is teaching them… “shooting at people/person”. if I’m overprotective or overreacting then I’d rather be overactive and -protecting. But i do not like it. I’ll teach them about guns when they’re teens. But NOT as young.

1 Like