What age should you stop checking your childs phones?

At what age do you stop checking your child’s phone?

39 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What age should you stop checking your childs phones? - Mamas Uncut

When they move out of my house and pay their own bill

8 Likes

I still Check my 16 yo phone, he still live with me and I’m still paying for his phone bill

1 Like

When they move out & are not under your phone plan

2 Likes

After their grown enough to not live under your roof and they’ve moved out.

1 Like

When it’s not In my nane

2 Likes

I’m 33. My dad still goes in my phone. I pay the bill… hahaha

2 Likes

To be honest, with how the world is, I don’t think I will ever stop checking their phones until they are out of the house on their own.

2 Likes

my oldest is a daughter 25 and i still check her phone

5 Likes

as long as im payin that bill im checkin that phone !

8 Likes

I guess it depends on if you think they are hiding something and your still paying for it

2 Likes

My oldest is going to be 19 and I still do random phone checks on all of my children!!!

9 Likes

My son is 13 I have a family link app connected to his phone n go threw it every now n again
I will probably continue to do that until he is more mature n responsible
When that will be who knows maybe 16 depends on him
His safety is my main concern even if he don’t like it there’s so much evil online I can’t not check his phone n be on top of that kind of thing

3 Likes

Until they move out lol. I have apps on both of kids phones that tracks. Not bc I don’t trust them I just don’t trust the world we live in

5 Likes

When they start paying their own bill

4 Likes

When they move out. I may trust my kid but I don’t trust all the sickos and pedophiles out there who bait children.

1 Like

This whole thread is sick. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

When they can pay for their own phone :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

When they’re legally responsible for their own actions :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Why check it at any age?

When they pay for their own.

7 Likes

Phone checks stop at 18, unless they’re acting their ass. Ie., wrecking cars, driving drunk, doing drugs, etc. Start checking as soon as they have a phone. As long as you pay for shit, I think you should be able to check. Again though, if they’re over 18 doing right, then I wouldn’t.

I think at some point it becomes an invasion of privacy. I would not want to see sex talk on my 18 year old kids phone. That would be my limit forsure, that’s not to say I wouldn’t have life 360 or something to make sure they’re safe, but searching through text messages, photos, internet… that’s all excessive past 18. :flushed:

When they have their own phone plan(mine are 25, 23 and 18) I still look at their phones when I feel the need to.

10 Likes

Never have checked it

2 Likes

I always believe in privacy so if you think your child is old enough and mature enough to have a phone then you should trust enough. This is only my opinion so please no negative jumping. Don’t waste your time

3 Likes

I will never give an age. Its about maturity.

1 Like

Well if they are living in my house, and I pay the bill… until one of or both of those isnt a thing anymore, I’ll check when ever I feel I have a reason to. Or until they are 18.

2 Likes

I am 30 and my mom still tries looking at mine :woozy_face:

2 Likes

If I didn’t trust my child to have a phone, and felt I needed to go through it, they wouldn’t have one. If they give me a reason to not trust them and believe otherwise. The phone becomes mine until they can pay for it themselves.

1 Like

I had my kid on family link so I had to approve everything she searched,downloaded etc. Was notified when she tried to do anything out of what I allowed, I stopped shortly after she started highschool

I understand going through your CHILDRENS phones. But if they are an adult and you’re still going through their phone. You have issues.

8 Likes

18 when they move out

5 Likes

Eh. In my opinion if you gotta check them they shouldn’t have one. You should trust them enough to not have to check it if they do have one. Otherwise they obviously aren’t mature enough if you gotta check. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

If you’re not teaching your children about grooming and internet/cell phone safety well enough to trust their judgement…then you’re doing something wrong.

5 Likes

When they move out sorry not sorry

3 Likes

I always trusted my kids…my kids go nowhere we arent. But, they dont know that, if they have a lock, I need to approve it or no lock, so I “CAN” check the phone whenever I want. Now that I think about it, I have never really checked their phones, I havent felt like I need to.

If your child is 18 please stop checking their phones its bloody wrong…

5 Likes

If you can’t trust your kid, don’t get them a phone.

2 Likes

If I didn’t trust my kids to have phones… they wouldn’t have them.

Around 16/17. Children end up being groomed by predators. Because they depend on parents who believe that they shouldn’t check their children’s phones and don’t check, enabling them to groom young people. They are groomed because they don’t see or understand that they are being groomed, so can’t actually tell parents what’s going on. It can also let online bullying slip undetected too.

1 Like

I only checked phones when I had a gut feeling something was off. Behavior, attitude, secretiveness. Once they reached an age that they are adults it’s no longer my right.

1 Like

When they move out and pay their own bill.

I don’t check my daughter’s. She knows the rules. She is a good kid so I try to let her have privacy.

1 Like

So many down on going thru your kids phone…stop being a friend!! Your CHILD is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to protect. A phone is a privilege, not a necessity, they earn the privilege to have it.

10 Likes

When they start paying their own bill

4 Likes

If you pay for it, you own it. Theres lots of parental controls you can have on their phones. See their search history and stuff without ever actually looking at their phones. A friend of mine found out her 11 year old child was talking to some internet strangers this way.

I wouldn’t check unless I have a reason to. I’m the type where you have my respect of privacy and my trust… until you don’t.

1 Like

My daughter is 12. I check hers maybe once a week. My boyfriend says I should never check it. She is a good kid I worry more about what other ppl say and do etc

3 Likes

Ummm. When they are 18 and an adult

1 Like

My daughter around 16…and my son 14 cause he was boring. Everything was about gaming. And basketball. Don’t get me wrong I love ball… But his phone never had anything good on it… I used clone app …so I had second apps with his apps logged into my phone

1 Like

It depends :woman_shrugging:
If the child earns the right to have some privacy I would say around high school age. If they abuse privileges and grounded or on punishment I would still be checking. Any younger than 16 I would have parental controls .

1 Like

I’ve never really checked. Been instilling in them what is appropriate from birth, so trusting them to make good decisions. I do have all access to their phones and they know if I take it, I can look. I just prefer to trust them.

2 Likes

when you stop paying the Bill :dollar:

2 Likes

Some of you are very naive to predators and the fact that technology is so advanced some creep could be disguised as a friend. And it’s not disrespecting your child if you’re going through a 10 yr olds phone. Your house, your child, your money, your phone
…a child doesn’t need “privacy”. But if your kid is over 17 and you’re going through their phone you might have control issues. Unless that child isn’t mentally capable.

5 Likes

The ignorance by so many parents on this thread about groomers and how they work is alarming. Wow.

4 Likes

When my daughter got a phone (I would just do a quick check of photos (make sure they are appropriate), phone numbers. An check her friends list on Facebook as she had a account for family an close friends but I checked to make sure she didn’t add randoms.

If I heard of a issue I would ask to look at messages (but only if there was a fight at school or something that needed sorting)

But other then that it was used appropriately,
She started paying her own bill at 17. An I now don’t see any reason to go on her phone.

My son is 9 and I’ve never checked his phone .

6 Likes

My daughter is 15 and she deserves her privacy. I trust her completely.

8 Likes

Although you need to respect a child’s privacy if you have a feeling I would absolutely check it.

4 Likes

I don’t regularly check my sons. I occasionally will just to surprise his ass, but why would I get it for him if I don’t trust him? I am constantly talking to him about things that can happen so he’s informed. Also we have an iPhone so his shit is set up to where I don’t need to constantly check it.

18…and if im paying for it I reserve the right to check anytime i ask!!!

9 Likes

When they’re 18. I don’t care about your privacy when it comes to your safety.

12 Likes

When the school shootings stop !

5 Likes

At no age as long as they live with me I’m checking their phones

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think there is an age limit. I stopped checking my eldest daughters phone when she was 12 ( very mature and responsible for her age) my second child is 14 and I still check her phone as she is still not at the maturity to know when is safe and what isn’t. It depends on the child

3 Likes

Nothing less than 18

We’ve never found anything on our 15 year old sons phone. Not from his end anyways, it’s the nudes he’s receiving from girls that did it for us. We took all apps away that she could send them in besides what we can get printed out by Verizon. The next pictures he gets go to her momma. :relieved:

6 Likes

I checked her phone until I felt like I could trust her. If she stops having open communication with me, then I’d probably start checking it again.

1 Like

I’m 43, live by myself and my mom still checking my phone :rofl:

My child wasn’t allowed any cel phone until he was 19 an adult & then he has one with NO internet on it.

10 Likes

When they’re 18 and paying for their own phone. There is way too many predators out there these days. And kids can be dumb sometimes.

1 Like

If you dont trust them around 15 or 16 then they dont need a phone. These kids know how to hard delete things that they dont want you to see.

2 Likes

18… although I don’t check my 12 years old phone unless I have a reason too :woman_shrugging:t2: I trust until I’m given a reason not too…

2 Likes

When they are paying for their own phone!

1 Like

Mine is 15 and we didn’t check her phone at first. BUG MISTAKE! We’ve now reached the point of only monitoring through Bark and when I have a question about something i ask questions and discuss from both points of view. She’s going to do dumb stuff just like most of us did. When she does, she’ll have consequences. That’s the best life lesson I can teach her. And a regular reminder around here is " When you choose to do anything, there will be benefits or consequences. Would you rather make choices that have the benefits or the consequences?"

1 Like

When they become adults.

When they become an adult!

When they start paying the bill for it.

1 Like

I don’t check our kids phones/tablets only because we have an open and honest relationship and I can trust that they would come to me if they came across anything “different”, they also sit with me and use there tablets and don’t mind that I can see what’s happening, if they were actively hiding there screens from us, I’d be more inclined to check. We’ve had lengthy conversations about all possibilities and that you never know who your talking to, they know even your best friend’s account can be copied.

I think the only place to draw a line would be looking at private convos between their verified friends, that’s their conversation and none of my business, they should have safe space to vent or just be themselves as they are with their friends without being Worried about who might see what

Not until they’re 18 and pay their own bill

5 Likes

Um, when they move out.

I don’t check our kids phones/tablets only because we have an open and honest relationship and I can trust that they would come to me if they came across anything “different”, they also sit with me and use there tablets and don’t mind that I can see what’s happening, if they were actively hiding there screens from us, I’d be more inclined to check. We’ve had lengthy conversations about all possibilities and that you never know who your talking to, they know even your best friend’s account can be copied.

I think the only place to draw a line would be looking at private convos between their verified friends, that’s their conversation and none of my business, they should have safe space to vent or just be themselves as they are with their friends without being Worried about who might see what

1 Like

When they move out :joy::joy:

I guess I’m blessed, I’ve rarely had to check anything my kid has as far as technology goes. Hes 17 and a good God fearing kid. We dont allow him to have much social media other than Instagram. And any time there was ever the least bit of suspicious behavior I had so many family members checkin up on him it was crazy lol, but I love it that way. I do however always know where he is and what hes doing. But he does have alot of freedom because he has shown and proved that he can handle it. I think it all depends on the child’s maturity and what the parent is comfortable with.

1 Like

When they’re a legal adult

When they pay for it themselves

Why would you check your kids phone?

2 Likes

By looking at the comments I now understand why there are so many kids acting the way they do online with bullying, older partners, suicidal thoughts, and threats of violence. Parents do not monitor or pay attention to anything these days.

9 Likes

l get paid over $135 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18745 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://paynow67.pages.dev/

My kids are very respectful and responsible… I don’t check their phones or monitor computer stuff… my kids and I are very close. They tell me all the drama​:rofl::rofl: nothing to hide

3 Likes

You don’t, just set parental controls and let them have their version of privacy (depending on the age) too young of a kid shouldn’t have a phone in general, I didn’t get one till I was 16 & texting was turned off on it

2 Likes

I’ve never checked them :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

18 unless they start paying the bill before that

2 Likes

As long as your living under my roof I will respect you but I will montior what your doing the friends you keep.

18 provided they move out of my house lol

When they pay for there own shizzle

3 Likes

Checking them for what haha :joy:
Invasions of privacy :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

When they give me a reason.

1 Like