What are the side effects of getting your tubes tied?

I am a surgical tech who does this type of procedure daily and has had it done. Ask if your insurance will cover a salpingectomy…this is removal of the fallopian tubes. This is now the preferred method since we now understand some cancers arise from the tubes where in the past it was attributed to the ovaries. Tubes are usually only “tied” if you are post partum. If you are going to the O.R. for this procedure only your tubes will be clipped, burned or removed. All can be done with one small belly button incision. You should not have any long term residual issues that you mentioned. That being said the human body will invariably do whatever it damn well pleases which could mean weird symptoms after, but that would be unusual.

Edit to add: Clips are effective even if they fall off. They only need to stay on for 2-3 weeks for the tubes to scar down. If they fall off they could cause pain but again unlikely.

1 Like

I had mine done while having a c-section with my 2nd son. We knew we were done- I am not a healthy pregnant person! Anyway, I haven’t had any issues. That was over 5 years ago. No regrets!!!

Had my tubal 08/16/19.
Everything was normal up until 6 months ago. Periods are heavier and I was diagnosed with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. My hormones are completely out of whack. I never had PMS my entire adult life and now I get it full blown.
Doctors swear it’s not because of the tubal, but there’s no other explanation. All tests show everything normal. (Thyroid, vitamins D etc) :woman_shrugging: would I take this over having a 5th child though? Yes :joy:

Best decision ever!! No side effects at all.

I had my tubes tied and have had wayyy worse menstrual cycles ever since. I used to have a 3 day medium cycle with hardly any cramping. Now i start cramping 2 weeks prior, 1-2 if intense want to die cramps, and have 5 day cycles, the first 2 days very heavy.

I had gotten much tubes tied back in 2019 I went almost 6 months with out a period. Than in September of 2019 started and bleed all the way to my hysterectomy in the beginning of 2020. I ended up the er multiple times because of the amount of blood I was losing from my period. I ended up being anaemic and almost needing a blood transfusion. We tried doing a d n c in October of 2019 but it didn’t help so finally me and my ob where done and decided to go with the hysterectomy. Im 31 almost 32 years old and done with kids after having 4.

I would not do that . Just get the implant last 3 years hardly any pain at all . No bloody part so far no side effects

I had mine done 4 years ago after a rough pregnancy (breech and facing backwards.) My periods are lighter and less cramping.

None , i havent gotten pregnant

Hello everyone, I know this may not be the right place to post this but you can never understand the pains that comes with divorce until you are faced with it. My world came crumbling when my husband was by his girlfriend, the fear of sharing my home with a strange woman took the better part of me. I lived in agony and torment until my friend introduced me to Dr Idahosa I followed his instructions carefully with little doubts in my hearts but I hoped it would work and today my husband is back , he no longer find solace in another woman’s arm , we and our four kids live in peace and love. I’m truly blessed to have the opportunity to come across a mighty man called Dr Idahosa .contact his WhatsApp phone number +2348116774486 or gmail [email protected] or visit is page
Redirecting...

My period was irregular for a month or 2. Like, wildly irregular, random spotting all month and even during a period of what seemed to be my actual cycle, it still wasn’t normal. Bleeding heavy one day and nothing the next. It was back to normal by month 3. No issues since then. Compared to the other comments, I consider myself lucky! Still the best choice I ever made and worth every hassle (in my opinion). Good luck on your journey!

I have horrible back pain and my periods are super heavy now. I’m considering a partial hysterectomy to stop the periods.

6 Likes

I had my tubes removed and my periods were bad! Cramps horrible!

I had slightly heavier periods for a few months and then everything went back to what it was before I had my tubes tied. I also had them done along with the c section so that may be part of the reason why I had no adverse side effects.

I had no side effects from mine. Everyone is different dont go off others experiences.
Everyone told me I would get fat after because they did, that I would have no periods because they didnt have them anymore and neither of those where true for me.
The only difference for me was my periods got slightly more regular but I personally still needed birthcontrol to keep those suckers on track lol.
Im set for my full hysterectomy in 9 days and Im beyond ready to not have periods anymore and no more pain :joy:

2 Likes

My periods have gotten heavier and I gained so much weight. I know my weight gain is definitely from it because I was losing weight normally then after ive steadily gained and not lost any weight. Its a huge struggle especially with a job as active as mine.

I had mine done 10 years ago and no side effects. No weight gain and no problems.

1 Like

I didn’t have my tied but I got them cut and burned… my periods are super heavy and last soooo long. Like the end it’s light but I’ll wipe and see little blood for another week so periods last 1-2 weeks. Also before period the pain in my back and stomach. But it’s worth it to me I can’t have anymore children I hardly have any time to myself and i can’t do another c section my dr said. My body can’t handle pregnancy any more so this is what I need to go through.

My doctor suggested just using an iud. It’s just as effective. If not more.

For 2 weeks after getting my tubes removed after my 3rd child I had horrible pain from the gasses they put in your body during surgery, it came out of my bones in my arms hurt so much… but now I have noticed after a year that my periods are not always regular and sometimes I have 2 periods a month, but no irregular pain

1 Like

I had mine done 28yrs ago after my 2nd child. Ive had no issues at all. No ectopic pregnancys. In reading some of the comments below, my periods were always heavy with major cramping so I saw no difference. Blessed for sure after reading some of these stories.

3 Likes

I had absolutely no side effects what so ever. Been don’t for a year and a half.

1 Like

I never had any issues and it’s been over 30 years. And no babies either…

1 Like

I had mine removed 9 months ago today when my daughter was born. My periods are heavier and I have breakthrough bleeding, BUT I am also not on birth control anymore. I hear a lot of ppl say this, but now I think that maybe now they are more normal since I am not on hormones I have been on most my life. Just my thoughts. Has anyone who had bad periods thought of getting on the pill just for period control? I have thought about it :woman_shrugging:

I have horrible ovulation pains now. So much worse than period cramps

1 Like

I had mine done back in 2013 my youngest was 13 and was seriously sure I was done. I had no significant issues. In the beginning I had 3 day periods that was nice, but now I’m in the menopause zone so it’s different. I will say it’s very freeing knowing you can just go for fun and not have to worry about protection.

I had a little stronger cramps withy periods. Much else

Periods are horrible. From cramps to the flow

1 Like

I plan to have mine tied after I have my 4th baby in April. I’m scared to do it though because literally like everyone I’ve talked to or on mom groups on here say that they have super heavy periods and terrible cramps. A co-worker said the same and she also got pregnant twice afterwards. Both were ectopic though. But it could be different for you and me too. Who knows. I haven’t had good luck with birth controls either.

2 Likes

Look up post tubal ligation syndrome. It very real. I had mine done and it was the worst decision I ever made. Not because I wanted more kids. It just completely messed up my body.

Horrible periods … very heavy flow. Had mines tied 13 years ago n am now severely anemic. But still wouldnt make me regret tying them

I had my tubes tied 13 years ago, and the only side effect I’m connecting to it now after all this time is very low libido :cry:

1 Like

Made my pcos worse, worse periods.

1 Like

I have horrible hormone issues and I have my period pretty much non-stop since I had mine. I regret doing it so much.

1 Like

Heavy periods to the point i was changing ultra flow tampons every 45 mins, and leaking through them. Cramps were unimaginable. Period every 2 weeks for 10 days a period. Ended up having to get an ablation done because I was becoming anemic.

Mine was regret! So i had it reversed and my youngest is 11 now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ive had mine done about 4 years ago my period pain feels like im in labour all over agian i suffer

1 Like

Everyone’s different but my Mum was alright and she got hers done almost 41 years ago.

None!! Got mine tied about 11 years ago. My cycles are actually lighter so everyone’s body reacts differently

I had my tubes tied 3 years ago
No problems and no pain!

I had mine removed and my periods are awful! Like I want to get into fetal position and die. I get bad back cramps and leg cramps

I had mine done 20 years ago. Never had a bit of trouble.

I got my tubes taken out completely. I’ve had any problems at all!

1 Like

24 years no side effects

I had no side effects.

I’ve gained weight. And yes heavier periods

Far easier for the man to be fixed

Back pain when started period.

Horrid heavy bleeding and the worst cramps imaginable… they told me it would happen but I didnt thinknit would be like this. It’s awful.

None i was lucky i guess

Have them removed, not tied.

I had no problems, had it done 34 years ago…

I had no pain at all

I had my tubes tied, cut and burned years ago. Ever since my periods are HEAVY, ungodly cramps, and major pms (bitchiness). If I could go back I wouldn’t do it again.

I did. My. …done. Did. Not. Have. Hurt

I. Was. Ok. I. Did. Not. Hurt

I just had my tubes tied after my third and I have had excruciating knee and back pain not sure if it’s related and also super bad periods I’m only 2 months pp and the bleeding stopped 2 weeks ago then my period showed up and it was horrible super crampy and heavy. Make sure its 100% what you want. If I knew it would of had these side effects I wouldn’t have done it.

I have horrible back pains, cramps my periods are super heavy and long, made me anemic. Its been 13 years, I just started birth control to try to regulate the heavy flow.

My tubes have been tied for almost 13 years now I was 25 at first I noticed more back cramps during my cycle. The plus side I have PCOS and had abnormal cycle spans ever since my cycles have been like clock work. I have noticed now my cramping has been pretty intense in the last year. I have always had heavy periods so no difference there. My libido has taken a dive as well in the last year or so as well

I had mine tied 30 yrs ago and had heavier, more painful periods. But about 5 yrs later it was discovered my uterus was full of fibroid cysts. Hysterectomy solved all of that (still have my ovaries). Anyone with painful periods, I suggest getting checked for fibroids

I had mine done 37 years ago and never had any trouble!

my ex wife had hers tied and was a little uncomfortable for about a week, other than that, no problems

I’ve had no problems.

Don’t do anything just get pregnant and Biden

Can

I had a tubal, horrible decision I bleed for 10 ton14 days during my period. With horrible cramps.

Almost 12 years and no issues!

Look up post tubal ligation syndrome. I just had mine reversed. Get on a long term birth control plan

I had my tubes removed 2 1/2 years ago, opted for that because many women in my family got pregnant years after having them tied . No issues at all. Period went from 6 days to 3, 1st day very light, end day heavy, 3rd day light and ends. Every woman is different though.

I had mine done in August. N the more time that passes the cramps r getting worse n worse. Periods r very heavy now and last a lot longer. Around 2/3 weeks now. Im waiting to go back to the doctor. Cause i get the worse pains in my sides. Almost like a cyst on my ovaries. But my best friend got fixed almost 5 years ago and some how her uterus ended up flipping. Id definitely looking into before having it done. I didnt. But i didnt have a choice when i had mine done. Doctors wouldnt let me refuse it. Cause i tried to wait

Had mine done 19 years ago and no side effects

I have had cramps like menstrual cramps everyday since I had my tubes tied 8 years ago.

I had horrible periods with the eblasion. Like 2 weeks bleeding heavy for a week break to bleeding for 2 weeks again. It was HORRIBLE! Eventually I had to have a hysterectomy a year or two later .

I got my tubes removed 16 months ago and my periods are heavier and more pain full.

Periods suck eggs now. Had mine tied 3 years ago. I’m incapacitated when it’s time. And the past 4 months I’ve had two or three each month. I’m waiting to get in again and have it checked but covid screwed that up

Zero side effects…best decision I ever made

I had my tubes clipped not tied in 1988. I have not gotten pregnant since then. I did have a little heavier menstrual flow for a few years and then things eventually went back to normal. Immediately after the surgery I did have some pain in my upper right shoulder. It was horrible. The doctors told me it was because of the air they pumped into my stomach to raise the tube so that they could be clipped and it would eventually go away which it did in about 48 hours but that 48 hours wow …Painful. Otherwise I have no regrets. I had no side effects.

I had my tubes removed , my periods got very heavy , so I got an ablation, ablation didn’t work for me and heavy periods continued, I ended up getting a hysterectomy, I have 3 kids so I’m definitely done having kids

I had my tubes tied in 2016. Since then, I have had horrible cramps and extremely heavy flows during my period. I would never had done it if I had known it would be like this.

My mom has very bad cervical cysts now abd she can’t afford the surgery to remove her ovieres I personally don’t have them but from my friends and family members I do not recommend

1 Like

I had mine tied August 2019 when I had my son. Painless from what I remember. I don’t have many side effects except my periods are A LOT heavier. I change pads at least 3 times a day when on my period.

Mine has effected my hormones as a rule and find it harder to loose weight . Its now something I regret and I was 26 at the time

The side effects are different, I had mine cut and my only side effect was no more babies

My last child was my first c section (yikes) I had decided no more prior to the event. So with signed papers the doctors told me I could possibly become pregnant again. I assured them both that I will demand child support from them both! I meant that whole heartedly. 19 years later no further children not even a tubule pregnancy. For me it was a relief. My cycle was more regular. There were no noticeable increase in pain. My knees and back hurt only because I had gained weight. That was not because I had the procedure. I was just fat and lazy. Weight down knee and back issue solved. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

The sore from the incision but that only lasted a couple days but no side effects

I had done know side effects I had done In the seventies

I had my tubes snippes/cauterized after the birth of my youngest 12 years ago. Other than slightly heavier period, nothing really different

I had c section for our 10lb son and had tubal ligation right after I had no problems.

If you are married, your husband has much less side effects.

I had mine tied in 2980. I have never had any side effects

This is weird. Your doctor is qualified to answer this.

Can you explain the knee pain ? Nothing down there should have been cut. As with any surgery you have some pain. I didn’t but look at the bright side, you are taking out the nursery and putting in a playground. lol

Dysmennorhoea and severe bleeding during menstruation

I had no problems after mine

No best thing I ever did

Dr went thru my belly button I was a bit sore for a few days, had to watch what pants I wore but other than that everything was fine.

Here"s a notion…having your tubes tied is an actual INTERNAL surgery!
You can suffer for a few weeks…or homeboy can spend a weekend with a bag of frozen peas on his nuts! To me? This is a no-brainer!

1 Like

If u seriously don’t want anymore children, have the tubes totally removed! I had mine tied and cut, and 4 yrs later ended up with a tubal pregnancy… it happens cause ur tubes can come untied.

I had my tubes tied 28 yrs ago. I had no significant change to any of my body.

Seriously consider… I had mine done at age 30 and wish I hadn’t

No just getting a regular period