What are the signs of labor?

So I have two doubts. 1. What kind of sign is it when your cat sleeps next to you. By your belly. I’m 34 weeks pregnant. And my cat started sleeping next to me. 2. Also, what do contractions feel like? Is it a sign that I could have my baby early? And that’s why my cat is watching over?. I do have a 4 yr old one. But never experienced what contractions were. Had him C-section. (Early at 30 some weeks.)

14 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What are the signs of labor? - Mamas Uncut

You will know when you have a contraction itll have you off your feet , i was having trouble pooping turns out it was pressure from the baby’s head, I couldn’t stay still, i was up and down , i arrived at the hospital 7cm dilated

2 Likes

I have 1 child and honestly I do not think I ever felt a contraction, unless you count horrific bad back pain in conjunction with underlying spinal issues…I only knew I was having a contraction when the hospital monitor told me so lol. But I do also have cats, and they were extra cuddly near my water breaking…

Feeling like you have to pee really bad but having an empty bladder can be a sign, consistent back pain (almost like spasms) are considered contractions also.
You’ll know lol some women experience extreme pain others experience mild to no pain. Just try to listen to your body and look for things that stand out.

Also, you can check yourself for dilation. It was weird to me so I never did it though but talk to your dr before trying that to find out how and if it’s safe for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Trust me you will know when contractions start! They are painful and it’s like your belly is constricting and releasing. You can even see it sometimes. I recommend getting a contraction timer and timing them when you feel them and if they gain intensity and frequency then you’re in labor

1 Like

My cats have all been extra affectionate with me since I was like 16weeks. I’m 37 weeks now. One sleeps on my pillow above my head every night. Another one loves to sleep directly on my belly, which she has never done before I was pregnant. I dont really remember what the contractions were like when I was in labor with my 9 year old daughter. My water broke in the middle of the night with her and I went to the hospital and was given pain meds maybe 3hrs after arriving, then an actual epidural 8-9hours after arriving at the hospital. I honestly don’t remember them being that bad, but I think its because of the pain meds. This time around I keep wondering if I will even know I am in labor without my water breaking. I do have an induction date set for when I’m 39 weeks, but i dont think I will make it to then. I’ve been having tons of Braxton Hicks. They don’t hurt, but my belly becomes super hard for maybe 30 seconds then I won’t have anymore for a couple hours.

My cat did the same thing ! They know a new life is coming but doesn’t mean your baby is going to come early but they do know that the time is coming close ! Don’t stress momma your fur baby is just waiting patiently as you are ! And is sticking by your side so love the fur baby up and thank him or her !:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Just call your dr, she might want to see you either way to make sure nothing bad is going on. Everybody is different, every pregnancy is different, every labor and birthing is different. Please call your dr

For me, contractions basically felt like very intense menstrual cramps. When you get them, you’ll know.

1 Like

Each pregnancy my cat (that never snuggles) was all over me during the first trimester…
And again a day or two before I gave birth :flushed::smile_cat:

Not everyone feels the contractions. With my first I did. With my second I didn’t. I had some bleeding and the urge to push but didn’t think I was in active labor because I couldn’t feel the contractions. I had to call my ob and she told me to go straight to the hospital. Instead of calling for an ambulance (no vehicle at the time) I walked 45 minutes to my hospital. Got there and was 6cm with my bag partially hanging out. An hour later my baby was born and didn’t feel anything until the had to stitch me up from ripping. So if you might think your having contractions or having other symptoms it’s best to call your dr about it. They can probably tell you if you need to go in or not

1 Like

My cat was super cuddly with me the entire last trimester. When my son was born, she shifted to ALWAYS being by him. Under his bassinet, under his swing. Next to the bedroom door. It was ALL about him.

Contractions for me felt like period cramps that just progressively get more and more painful. My brothers cat used to lay on me when I was pregnant, I think he sensed I was pregnant. With my second when I was in early labor I didn’t have any contractions yet but I did pass my mucus plug with blood contractions started after that. With baby #4 I went to the bathroom a bunch all day and then contractions started, after a few hours of contractions my water broke at 6:00 p.m. and I had him at 8:28 p.m… 1st and 3rd baby I was induced, again menstrual cramps x 1000. Water only broke in its own with #4. #5, I was having random dull contractions for most of the day and then my blood pressure went up at my appointment and I was sent to the hospital to be monitored. The only reason they kept me at the hospital was because my blood pressure was high but I started to contract regularly while there. Got put in a room at 7cm. I had him 7 hours after being sent to the hospital to be monitored.

Sorry did voice to text. Hope it all makes sense :point_up:

Must be braxton hicks but if they start getting stronger and less time in between the contractions then that’s a good sign to call the labor and delivery unit

Your cat just senses something is off. One of my cats has been obsessed with my stomach since before I even knew I was pregnant.

You may not necessarily feel contractions. It depends largely on your pain tolerance level, I think. I have a hip condition that leaves me in chronic pain all the time so I’ve learned to function through pain that would have most other people knocked on their butt. I was in labor and at the doctor’s office, and they decided my contractions must be Braxton Hicks because I couldn’t feel them. My son was born less than 12 hours later. I was laughing and joking in between pushes because it just didn’t hurt. With my second, I woke up at 1 a.m. in full blown labor. By the time I got to the hospital, I was already dilated to 5/6 and rapidly progressing. I knew I was in labor because of the pressure in my hips and pelvis, but again, not feeling contractions.

You can have contractions an not feel them. If your dilating you will feel them, they start off like a cramping. Can start in the back .

No sighn on the cats they can always sence pregnancy

You can loose your mucus plug and are water break sometimes some water don’t break the Dr will have to do it but your stomach will countract in and out and youl have pains in the stomach , some have back pains contractions whear itl be like sharp needles in the lower back and may go around to the stomach

Contractions to be they started off with my stomach getting really tight for a few than stop n do it again. Than they will get more worse and I had labor pains in my back n hips. Trust me tho u will definitely know

Kitties just sense pregnancy and change, they just want to comfort you. As far as contractions go, typically you’ll lose a mucus plug (you’ll know when this happens :joy:). Maybe be experiencing Braxton Hicks? Not sure how early that can come, though.

Cats can get affectionate at any time.

Most likely if you are feeling contractions at this stage they are Braxton Hick.
Take a shower, go for a bit of a walk and drink water, that should help alleviate the contractions.

Download a contraction timer! Probably just Braxton Hicks but just in case!

I had Braxton Hicks before I had my babies and they just feel like I had really bad cramps in my stomach it’s like the gastro bug but they keep are constant when you actually go into labour it’s more frequent and the cramps get worse someone Told me it’s like band tighting around your tummy

I thought I had to poop Soo it starts just as small cramps that make you uncomfortable :sweat_smile:

You’ll know :see_no_evil: contractions feel like the worst period cramps of your life.

I had what I thought was Braxton Hicks and then I thought it was just a kidney infection because all of mine was in my back. Turns out I have a high pain tolerance because I was in labor :woman_facepalming:t3::joy: