What are your thoughts on your kids returning to school in the fall?

This is our 4th year homeschooling my kids so no difference here. Just this year I have a newborn and a toddler in the mix trying to figure out field trips with this virus thing going crazy.

My special needs daughter needs to be in school for her therapy. This crap has set her back so much.

1 Like

My 11 year old wants to go. She does a lot better in a school environment. The 9 year old is going to stay home at least first 9 weeks.

I’m sending mine. It’s unfortunate but I am also in school and have no choice. Just hoping for the best.

2 Likes

I work at a school . and most school will have it so you can either take classes online or be at school or a little of both. But if you want them at home all the time can you go threw the online stuff your school sets up so they do not take money from them.

My youngest graduated last year, but if I still had children in school, no I would not be sending them. I think it’s too dangerous

1 Like

Send them back… my daughter graduated this year, so she’s done, but take into consideration, these kids have all already been out and about all summer long, actually since spring break…a lot of them have been having a hard time with the online learning, they need to be in school

2 Likes

I’m still not sure what my daughter’s school is doing, but if they give the option to do the distance learning like they did the last few months, then she is staying home. I think she did a lot better on the computer anyway.

2 Likes

I am lucky my kids are out of school, but I feel for all of you that have to make that decision, you all want what is best for the kids. Good luck to all of you and your kids!

I have always home schooled my children and I will continue they do so much better at home then in a school

2 Likes

I am sending mine with mask hand sanitizer please open school’s let us parents decide wether to send them or not

They want to go and I’m fine with that.

We r doing the virtual online

1 Like

Mine are staying home

1 Like

I’m withdrawing my kids and homeschooling them. Not just because of the virus. I want my kids to get a wholesome education with morals and values and I no longer feel they can receive that in public schools.

7 Likes

It’s very important that my grandson goes back to school he’s in second grade this is the most important years of learning we can’t take a chance by a computer I saw what elearning us and it’s a joke, we have to educate our children plain and simple they need school they need a social life

2 Likes

My son will be back in school as soon as those doors open. He wants to go back. Both he and I hated homeschooling when the schools in my area closed for the rest of the 19/20 school year. We got through it but we hated it and he didn’t learn much.

11 Likes

I am SO confused! I am so lost as to what is the right thing. I am already seeing a lot of judgement passed to parents for the decision they make. That is NOT ok. You do not know people’s circumstances…

15 Likes

I can’t see how this could ever be safe as long as the virus is around. I really feel for the teachers and all the students. Patience is what we all need now.

12 Likes

Listen, It’s called safety first, all it is going to take is one person to come in that school infected , and the whole school is at risk. I think if the children and teachers have to stay home a couple more weeks, it’s worth it to stay healthy or better yet ALIVE.

7 Likes

We are leaning on keeping ours home. We are not ok with her wearing a mask for 8 hours. Grueling and doubtful the kids will keep them on. Also, we are afraid that teachers may be more voictrous as to their political views and may preach morals and beliefs in which we feel should stay with the family unit. School is only offering 2 days a week face to face 3 days online or 100% online. I agree if daycares can safely open then schools should be open.

13 Likes

Most families with younger children don’t have the luxury of a parent able to stay home with them. I’m afraid there will be younger kids left home alone if there are not full time schools.

14 Likes

I think it should be up to the parents simply because they know their children some children cannot handle wearing that some children actually do better with remote learning than they do within school on it a lot depends on what does parents financial situation is there daycare options do I do believe that this is a decision that should be made by the parents and that the school should accommodate

5 Likes

My thoughts are that all the kids have been around each other for the last two months. So going to schools will change that!! They have
been interacting for the whole summer. The kids are not going to have the proper education with online classes and maybe two days in school. They will be so behind, in what they should know, for their age. They have already lost around three months this spring. This cannot continue! I feel that if some teachers are afraid to go back, I feel they should not return. That should be their decision, not deciding to keep the kids home because they do not want to return!

18 Likes

Thankfully, my kids are not school age yet, but if they were, I would be keeping them home and homeschooling, luckily I have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education and would probably have an easier time then most doing so.

5 Likes

Depends, our kids go to a private catholic school so their numbers in the classroom are already low and classrooms are huge. They will stager times of lunch so one grade is in the cafeteria at one time. Their plan so far is great and they’ve already hired cleaning crews to disinfect daily. If numbers spike in our district, we will keep them home though.

I don’t have kids in school, but if I did, I would not send them!!! It is way more important to have children safe at home!!! With hope and prayer, it is worth keeping them home till the vaccine is here. What they will miss for a few months can be made up!!! They have sponges for brains!!! Their lives and the lives of their families are the MOST important aspect here!!!
I do have Grandchildren that are in school, I do not want them to go to school, staying at home is best!!!

3 Likes

No —- plain & simple —no I feel we need to protect children and all the personnel who work in schools — I do feel the government needs to step up assistance for ALL families—-

20 Likes

My kids are already enrolled in home based learning and have been foe 6 years. But I nanny for a 2 and 7 year old. At this point I dont think it’s safe at all for them to go back to school. Her parents are seriously considering keeping her home. Our babies shouldnt be put at risk.

4 Likes

County I live in rural South Ga is opening full time but parents have to option for virtual learning through the school system. My daughter is staying home nor for fear of her catching the virus but because she has wanted to homeschool for a few years and now seems like the perfect time to give it a try. We have only committed until December 17th which starts our Christmas break. We will see how it goes and decide if we want to finish the year out at home or face to face.

3 Likes

My kids will be in school and our schools seemed prepared and have sent out the new guidelines and my kids including my 5year can follow them. This will be our new normal.

5 Likes

Our kids are staying home and homeschooling but we have several reasons behind our decision other than just this virus.

1 Like

In our state, we aren’t being given a choice-no in person learning. I’m not happy at all

2 Likes

No! No! No!
I have a grandchild that was attending daycare.
Currently home with her mother, due to health and safety concerns.
My concern is flu season will be here soon, so what happens with the number of incidents and deaths.
Can people be affected by both?
Keep your babies home, where you know they are safe!

2 Likes

Mine are staying home. Today the school system announced they are having an emergency meeting because they may be changing from a blended 1 week face to face 2 weeks remote to an all remote because they arw concerned about the number of cases. Either way mine were staying home.

3 Likes

Ok say we do the virus is still here kid have a fear of being bully and are made fun of every single day and now they have to worry about a mask cause face and breath trouble kuds can only take so much and as a result will not focus on school work o hopefully they don’t open

1 Like

My kids need to go back to school. Their learning is suffering because I’m not cut out to be a teacher. I have 4 school age and I can’t possibly teach them all and this online schooling is a joke. I can’t figure any of it out and I’m not computer illiterate. Open up the schools!

1 Like

I don’t have school age children but I do have grandkids and I am relieved that here in California there will only be online schooling at least til Dec. Maybr if everyone starts folly the rules students here can return to the school site.

I’m choosing to homeschool, real homeschool where I pick the curriculum and teach my children, not remote learning!

4 Likes

No one is returning to school or daycare. Non negotiable. I enrolled them in online school they already have computers anyway. Not even a little bit sorry however they dont seem to mind and we do the same things daily now that we did through the end of the year reading, writing prompts, math, and a whole lot of crafts and physical activity. Did anyone else realise how much time our kids spent sitting at school!?

3 Likes

Mine won’t be going. Nobody can get it together on how to handle this virus, people want to wish it away and are tired of hearing and dealing with it while others are still dying because of it. We have 3 high risk members in our house we be stay vigilant and wear our mask and social distance ourselves from the general public until further notice

1 Like

This, by far is the most irresponsible call ever. Children cannot be sacrificed like this or teachers, bus drivers, lunchroom, maintenance, aids- all staff as well as the families of students.

1 Like

I don’t have the luxury of keeping my kids at home. So we will be going back to school.

4 Likes

My grands will not be going back. Too dangerous to open right now.

2 Likes

I have no children, grandchildren in school right now but I have to think that school classrooms will be safer than daycares . Or having school one week and at home the next. Parents have to work.

3 Likes

It’s time the children went back to school.

3 Likes

Mine are going back to school, hopefully August 13. My husband and I both work full-time and the remote learning for the last 2 1/2 months of the previous school year was very hard on our kids and us…

1 Like

Mine will be going back to school

2 Likes

I am hoping my kiddos can go back. I have a back up plan if needed since both of us work. I guess we will see!

I listen to nbc Sunday night news last week and several doctors would send their children to school without mask. So I’m inclined to agree with their analogy

2 Likes

we are great grandparents and will be seinding our 6 and 8 year old to school. we are concerned but don’t think we can manage the home schooling. hope they don’t get covid or bring it to us.

If the kids can’t go back to school, then someone is going to have to pay my income until they can. I won’t be able to work.

I keep my daughter home and doing The virtual learning she already get sick Easily when school is in session to I can’t have her getting sick with this virus out there As much as I want her to go to school and be with her friends I just can’t risk her health

My granddaughter is slated to go back 4 days a week 8:15 to 12:15. She’s is 7 years old!!! It’s not a full day but she will get some socialization :grinning:

1 Like

Wish my Granddaughter could stay home but her parents have to work, daycare, Nanny’s,babysitters are an expense, that just can’t be budgeted. Sad :pensive: and scary.

I don’t think they need to go back yet. Should wait until the virus slows way down.

I HATED the school my daughter went to. I homeschooled from 3rd grade on.

She belonged to a 4 H homeschool group. She learned how to socialize with preschoolers all the way to 17 year olds, as well as their parents.
I used different homeschool programs & had no problems, until algebra.

Yes I will the kids have to go back at some point.

3 Likes

I’m hoping for hybrid learning for my kids but if they do open fulltime I will be keeping them home my 12 year old has asthma and my 10 year old was very sick before she got her tonsils out I’m not risking my kids or their teachers lives. But I’m ok with the part time school/ part time online.

1 Like

My kids are homeschooled anyway but if they were in public school I wouldn’t send them back

My two teens will be going back, both are active in school clubs ( fccla, beta, ag/ffa, shooting club, art club, ect) while they do take a few virtual classes ( sign language, medical terminology) they both learn better in a class room setting. Sitting in front of a computer ( we have 1 with 2 kids in different grades) doing 4-5 hours of school work a day doesnt work for them. Plus although my husband has a masters degree some of the stuff they are studying we dont understand because we arent teachers. On top of that where we live we do not have a steady internet connection and it isnt fair to make them or anyone else sit in a hot car to use a hot spot in the school parking lot.

THAT A BIG HELL NO. my kids will be home schooled until it is safe to return…

I think you should do what is best for you and your family. Personally, my grandson really wants to go back to school. I will send him with sanitizing wipes for his desk, I feel that in middle school, desks are in a row everyone facing forward with aisles in between, just use your own things wipe down the desk when you come into the classroom and when you change classes wear a mask, sanitize your hands after you go to your locker. I know this virus is scary for some people but looking at the stats, I mean that sounds bad but the death rate is only .3% that means the survival rate is 99.7%. I think kids are social and they need to be with other kids and they learn better that way

Mine have been doing online school for 3 years with extra curricular activities/sports at the local school… this year, however, they chose not to go for the extra activities… just high school/college classes strictly online.

Mine will be in school 4 days remote 1 day unless the county we are in goes to Orange then they will be full remote.

I am a retired teacher who used to substitute teach. I will not be returning to school. It is not safe.

Our governor just announced mandatory distance learning for the 20+ counties on the ‘monitoring’ list. So those counties have no choice. If the county is not on that list for 14 straight days then that County can go back. Probably not going to happen for awhile for us. We all want our kids to get the best education but why send them back so fast? People who are mad about distance learning are wasting their time. Focus on getting a plan in place before school starts. I know I need to. Hopefully employers become more flexible for those that can work from home or have altered schedules etc.

I will be sending my kids back!!! This madness and hype and lies and fear mongering needs to stop!!

2 Likes

Kids not going back to school in August. Too dangerous!

If I had school age children they would not be going back. These poor parents that will have kids there on alternate days. What are you going to do about day care? If you are called back to work, who will watch your kids on alternate days

No kids left in school BUT I wouldn’t do it!!

Distance learning. Tough on kids & working parents.

I think it will be a huge mistake. I understand your problem
Carolyn but better than having your child in the hospital on life support
. I’m
Not trying to
Be mean but am
So worried about my grandchildren :cry::pray:t2:

Mine are going to school I hated homeschooling and the teachers are more qualified than I am

Mine only needs 1 credit to graduate but wants to go and take more college courses.

My go back on july 31st. They are ready to go

I won’t be sending my children… My fiance’s job just someone home who had been tested… The 3rd one for this week…

Have grandchildren and they chose to go to virtual school themselves.

Yes. In my opinion this is no worse then the flu. It’s all mixed up with political BS

1 Like

My daughter in law is homeschooling my grandson this year

Definitely sending mine back to the classroom.

Well with California schools not reopening why are we going to pay 60 percent of our property tax for the schools?
I would like to hear the explanation for this… Bet its a good one! Bastards!

Me n my other half both work I will have to work evening if my youngest stays home while he works in the mornings

My daughter will be back when school starts back.

The CDC IS Advocating for children to return to school. If Only for their mental health.

The AAP (Amer Acad of Pediatrics) are unanimously in agreement that kids need to go back to school. The mental and emotional toll it is going to take on kids if they are deprived of that social environment will be far more devastating than a virus that has virtually zero risks for them, and a 99% recovery rate for family members. Kids don’t see the “long run”. They deal in the here and now. Their entire reality is what is in front of them. That is why you see teens killing themselves over spats that seem inconsequential to adults who are prepared to put such things into perspective. The AAP has said that depriving children of their friends, social outlets and their entire world, not being able to give them any hope that it will end soon, may cause suicidal ideations for them. That’s a terrible price to pay for “safety”.

1 Like

If they actually told the truth about the numbers, the positives, the deaths, it would help make a sound decision!!

1 Like

Open school already! The kids need the social interaction.

6 Likes

One with asthma. One with an autoimmune disorder (hypogammoglobulinanemia) that has been homeschooled for years. Both will be virtual this semester. We will revaluate at the end of the semester.

No! My child is NOT going back to school. These children are the future, not guinnea pigs for Trump’s insane shenanigans.

No choice in Ca governor just shut it down

A lot of people are missing some major reasons that children should be going back to school.Hundreds of thousands of children are very food insecure and schools provide their major source of nutrition.Teachers and school nurses play a huge part in detecting and reporting child abuse and neglect,just think what’s happening to these children now that no one is watching? Who can tell how many children are losing their lives or being scarred for life from these issues.

2 Likes

I’m mostly interested in how many children have to end up on ventilators before people stop being selfish and start working as a unit to kill this virus.

5 Likes

Right now my teens are debating. One is a senior yhe other a freshman. My youngest is preschool age and not sure about him yet. Both of us work and we are doing weekly lessons at home with him right now…

We r home schooling, we will not be sending our kids back.

2 Likes

They should because it’s more
learning, it’s social too .

This is a very important view. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s definitely worth the read. Written by a Seattle Public School Teacher. Might change some people’s views…

My kids will be home schooled now

1 Like

We are keeping our kids home

1 Like

Definitely want kids in school full time.

1 Like