What are your thoughts?

I work at a private owned restaurant where we have a dress code but they have always allowed us to wear ripped jeans. I understand a dress code, and I don’t mind changes. We now have a new manager and he told us today that we cannot wearing ripped jeans, also mentioned that “women don’t want to see their husbands watching us in ripped jeans and yoga pants…” What are your thoughts on this?

156 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What are your thoughts? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

That he’s sexist and a male chauvinist pig. And there are a lot of insecure women out there.

14 Likes

Well I mean… it’s their rules… it is what it is… I just think their reasoning is lame and gross … but :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

I agree with the manager.

6 Likes

I think ripped jeans and legging, jeggings are not professional attire.

25 Likes

Human nature to look. And they’ll look no matter what. So that was stupid.
But the dress code has always been there sounds like. Just didn’t have a manager that cared. You do now and I agree. This isn’t the mall or a hang out. It’s work.

15 Likes

That your new manager is deek.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. Management wants to change the dress code. If it bothers you, have a sit down & plead your case.
That said, this is pretty simple, follow it or quit. Personally, Yoga pants aren’t proffessional. Ripped jeans, not proffessional. I had jobs where jeans weren’t allowed. Life went on.

16 Likes

Nope if there’s a dress code you got to follow it you would not be wearing ripped jeans in my establishment I was a waitress I was a bartender never once did I show up in that shit and I never had to hang my tits out or my ass to make a buck

1 Like

I prefer to see class when I’m out to eat. Not kids coming out of a rock concert.

10 Likes

I mean i get the ripped jeans but yoga pants I think would be fine, maybe the husbands shouldn’t be looking at other womens butts while out with their WIVES🙄

7 Likes

I agree with the manager as well. It is unprofessional to wear spandex and ripped jeans at a restaurant.

9 Likes

Nice to see a place with standards

5 Likes

That the lack of following dress code is probably the reason you have a new manager…
Sure he could’ve gave a way better reasoning behind it… But, it is what it’s always been and you agreed to the dress code when you started working there…no?

9 Likes

He’s the boss. Some yoga pants leave nothing to the imagination. I think ripped jeans or pj pants are inappropriate for a nice restaurant but I’m from a different era and now go with the flow. But flaunt it in front of my husband and no tip for sure.

13 Likes

You need a new manager :woozy_face:

2 Likes

His reasons might be sexist, but in my opinion ripped jeans and Yoga pants are not something you should wear to work because both looks unprofessional.
If you do not agree with it go and find another job .

10 Likes

I don’t think the genderized commentary was appropriate but I do see when managing a storefront restaurant creating standards for a uniform codes.

3 Likes

I’m used to wearing a button down shirt, ascot or tie, black slacks and polished shoes. As wait staff. If I walked into a restaurant and saw the staff in yoga pants and ripped jeans I would leave honestly

15 Likes

Sorry but I have to agree with the manager, it’s a restaurant not a free for all, I personally wouldn’t want to go to a place to eat where the staff doesn’t take pride in their appearance 🤷🏾‍♀.

6 Likes

I agree. Seems like some standards are being implemented

6 Likes

Nice pants and top are nice for restaurant workers

3 Likes

Might be his wife’s calling the shots on this one. Easier to just please her, the wife! The waitress shouldn’t be up set, just go with the flow, after all it is his new business!

2 Likes

FYI I made that comment because no one should ever fault a female for a man looking at her. It’s not our fault nor problem that a man can’t control hisself.

4 Likes

New manager - new rules. Not much you can do about it if you want to keep your job. But I do agree with him.

5 Likes

The wives also look. I look. Everyone looks lol. It’s normal and human nature. How he explained it is dumb, but yes, if dress code is being enforced, then that’s the way it is :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ripped jeans is not cool to wear in a nice restaurant very tacky. Now just to go do everyday thing that is different… Yoga pants well no one wants to see camel toes most especially where you are eating in a restaurant.

3 Likes

Some places need more standards.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I don’t think is being professional. You are working with customers. Not hanging out with your friends.

6 Likes

I don’t overly like how he said it. Women aren’t to blame for other peoples husbands gawking at them. Plus, we are married and not dead. We all look at the opposite sex lol

Ripped jeans and spanx aren’t professional. Period.

Do I agree with his decision? Yes. Not his reasoning though, gross. It’s no woman’s fault if a man looks.

4 Likes

I agree I prefer class over trash. If I wanna see skin I’m going to hooters or the strip club not a restaurant where I bring my family to eat

Why is there always some excuse to let the guys get away with not keeping there eyes to themselves :rofl: like I get it. It’s work but even most of the nursing scrubs now a days are tight fitted like yoga pants and show off ur butt. Same with jeans…I never understood this.

I mean, if you don’t like the dress code being enforced, you’ll need to find a new job…

4 Likes

Much more professional, this whole ripped jeans and leggings thing in restaurants is kind of different. I may as well be eating at home if someone is wearing that.

2 Likes

I understand not wanting ripped jeans in general, but the manager ruined it with the reasoning/comment. Just ridiculous.

4 Likes

Melody Amber Schoen if ripped jeans and yoga pants are such a problem eat somewhere else

3 Likes

I also agree. There is a time and place for that type of dress and I don’t feel the workplace is it.

7 Likes

It’s a job!!! Get over it!!!

3 Likes

As long as I’m getting good service I don’t care what anyone wears. How does having ripped jeans effect your ability to do your job? :joy:. He is the manager so rules are rules. But his reasoning is disgusting.

4 Likes

My thoughts are that the manager is trying to cultivate a more mature and professional clientele, and he has the right to do that.

5 Likes

If the manager Is getting that type of feedback, then it is what it is. It’s not unreasonable to say no ripped jeans or yoga pants so I’d center on that part.

1 Like

I agree , I have always hated the yoga pants fad , it looks like you are going to an exercise class , not proper wear in my opinion unless you are going to work out . Girls just want the attention they get from wearing it .

4 Likes

Just depends lol some places you would get more tips and happy customers in the ripped jeans or yoga pants lol

I think I’m a restaurant where you are directly serving people and get close to them, it’s more appropriate to wear just plain pants and a plain shirt. More professional

3 Likes

Sorry but I would not attend a place that dresses like that. If you dress like that while serving customers then I would hate to think how hygienic your kitchen ect is. If you can’t take pride in your appearance then you won’t take pride in hygiene and food safety

5 Likes

I used to throw ripped jeans in the trash. If they were mine I still would. Yep I’m old

I agree. Ripped jeans are too casual for a restaurant. And if its privately owned. They make whatever rules they want. But I agree, no ripped jeans.

1 Like

Shit if the people don’t like it then they won’t come!! It’s like hooters!!! They never changed their attire both sex’s look!! :woman_shrugging:

Probably was how it should have been all along. Just had a lax manager before.

1 Like

When you are at work you should dress professionally because you are representing the business.

4 Likes

I don’t believe ripped jeans belong in any business.

7 Likes

I agree. It looks horrible in a business setting.

1 Like

As a RGM, I completely agree. I have let yoga pants slide if they didn’t have clean laundry and this was the last resort, but I make sure to let them know it’s a one and done kind of thing.
No holes or frays in jeans, PH shirt, slip resistant shoes, and your hair has to be up. It’s a simple dress code.

1 Like

I understand that ripped jeans are maybe not professional but his comment made it sexist.

3 Likes

Presentation is everything.

Would you want your food delivered to your table by someone that looks like they just came out from changing their oil?

I don’t agree with how the rule was presented but the ambiance in a place can make or break it.

1 Like

Either quit or follow the new dress code. I personally don’t like the ripped look, I think it looks tacky. My opinion, you don’t have to agree, I don’t care.

You can’t wear them no more it’s simple

I agree, it looks more professional to dress nice with no holes in your outfit.

If you are there to work, look like it. You aren’t cleaning out your garage

I mean I get the no ripped jeans or leggings. But his reasoning is gross :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I think the ripped jeans look is is the tackiest, most trashy look ever, and I wish it would go away. If it’s an upscale type of restaurant, then no it’s not an appropriate dress code.

5 Likes

Ripped jeans that make you look like you got mauled by a bear and yoga pants are not appropriate wear for Restaurants.

2 Likes

Sounds like the manager is just trying to do his job.

3 Likes

Where I work we can’t wear ripped jeans or yoga pants but its nothing to do with husbands. The rule is for everyone… Men, Women and everyone in between!
It’s more about a professional appearance. I think the husband comment is a bit far honestly. Very sexist.
Talk to your HR

11 Likes

You have to do as the restaurant wants. I have had to wear uniforms, but if that is what we have to do, so be it. I had one manager tell me to stop wearing the loud kind of jewelry. Made me mad, but I stopped. We will always have some kind of rules to follow by someone.

I wouldnt expect see anyone working In ripped jeans in a restaurant,should be a proper uniform. How he’s argued his point is rediculous. I wouldn’t think ripped jeans, Joga pants be issue for any sex tbf. I’d look thinking not really dress code for a restaurant

I agree with the manager. Plus, I think it looks more professional to be working and be working with customers is clothes that aren’t ripped up. The yoga pants depends the kind. If they’re see through or something then yeah you don’t need to wear them. If they are just stretchy pants then it’s fine.

1 Like

Extra comment not needed but a dress code is a dress code

Ripped clothes make the business look trashy. Respect the dress code or get a new job. It’s common for restaurants to not allow leggings or yoga pants for several reasons.

1 Like

I’m a firm believer that regardless of the reason the business owner has every right to set and/or change a dress code at any time.

I don’t think ripped jeans and leggings are working attire.

The point isn’t about the dress code changing. She said she didn’t care that it changed. It was about the new managers sexist comments. While they have every right to change the dresscode, he was out of line saying what he said. Basically if a customer makes an inappropriate move towards you, the manager will ask what YOU did wrong, instead of having your back. Gross.

15 Likes

I don’t think its a very big deal, most restaurants have a more strict attire. However the comment made by the new manager was inappropriate.

The manager’s statement was extremely inappropriate and sexist in my opinion; however, I understand the ripped jeans being removed from the dress code. As a server for 20 years, I find that attire unprofessional and tacky.

1 Like

Neither look professional for work , follow the rules or get a new job🤷

3 Likes

I agree staff need to be respectable, smart uniform.

2 Likes

ripped jeans shouldn’t be worn anywhere!

1 Like

I guess since my wife doesn’t go out with me they shouldn’t worry about it.

I agree with the new manager. We’re what is expected by them or work somewhere else. As an ex waitress, it’s highly unprofessional to be serving in casual Wear. And he’s right. Women don’t want you serving their husbands in revealing clothing, it would be no different then make servers serving in a ripped shirt and jeans. Be professional, you are there to serve food and drinks not make a fashion statement.

4 Likes

I agree with the manager :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I think it’s respectable on the managers end. But maybe instead of vetoing it completely, they just have restrictions on how “ripped” the jeans can be. But also, professionally, ripped jeans and yoga pants aren’t justifiable, unless maybe it’s a sports bar or something of the sorts

1 Like

Wait, so you mean to tell me they ALLOWED y’all to wear ripped and frayed clothing at a restaurant? :nauseated_face::nauseated_face: yuck. I mean his reasoning is whack cause honestly NO ONE wants to see that while trying to eat a meal. It’s also really effing gross knowing that shredded pants have probably been in a ton of peoples food :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Ok so let’s go back and read this again.

Private owned business.
Dress code. (With exceptions including but not limited to ripped jeans and possibly yoga pants)
New manager.

My question is …
Did the private owners change the dress code or was it the “new” manager?

Now for my unprofessional opinion (not that anyone cares) …
Keep wearing what you’ve always wore and were allowed.
Document everything and if you can speak with the owners or someone above him to make sure this this in fact did come from upper management and also so you can get a copy of the NEW employee hand book that clearly states these changes.

Now here’s my theory on to why he’s making these changes…

New male manger sounds like he lost his significant other to a waitress in possible ripped jeans or yoga pants and he’s still bitter about it, so he took a job as a restaurant manager to seek revenge.

4 Likes

It’s a business honey your supposed to look professional. I worked at a restaurant for 23 years we wore tan shorts ( not bootie shorts) an a collared tee shirt with the name printed on it during the summer an black shirt an black pants in the winter. He’s right there were no yoga pants or jeans . You were to be neat an clean

2 Likes

Sounds like that new manager can’t control himself… he needs a bit of Salt Peter in his meals by the sounds of it.

Agree. Dress appropriately

3 Likes

We don’t allow either at work and never have. You already knew the dress code and everyone broke it. Your new manager is doing their job.

3 Likes

I have been in Diners & Restaurants that encourage Jeans , Shirts, Blouses, Pull over shirts, . Food trays spill, Drinks Spill Customers spill stuff along with employee’s. Management does not want clothing damages or burnt so they do not wear many good slacks, pants, shirts. Just make sure at the start of your shift it is clean & you are good to go. If uniforms are provided then make sure it is clean .
I am certainly fine with that.

Why should husbands be looking in the first place. That’s Sextus remarks

3 Likes

If that’s the attire you wanna wear go work at a bar or trusk stop. But a restaurant, I wouldn’t wanna see my waitress in ripped jeans. Husband or not. You can’t put yourself together for work how can I trust you can manage to put together an order to be submitted to the kitchen. Professionalism goes along way

5 Likes

I have never worked at a place where ripped Jean’s were acceptable.

5 Likes

Dress in work attire

3 Likes

The only customers who care about ripped jeans and think they look tacky and would totally act like Karens and complain and not tip due to it are boomers and older :rofl: prove me wrong. Just by reading these comments you can tell.
Like what do clothes really have to do with how well you can serve food? They don’t. At all.
If they’re going for a more professional look, hey I totally get it. But it is NOT a woman’s job to keep some sleazy man from checking her out.

6 Likes

Ripped jeans are extremely trashy, especially for a restaurant.

4 Likes

While I do agree that if it’s in the dress code, don’t do it regardless of what’s always been allowed I think his reasoning is gross. Serious question, since when did ripped jeans equate to class? :rofl:
Idc what my server is wearing as long as it’s clean and the restaurant is clean. It’s hard enough to find jeans that fit that don’t cost a fortune. Just like idc if someone is covered in piercings or tattoos or has a fun hair color. It does not equate to how you do your job.

1 Like

It’s a business. Wear professional clothes. Let go of the ripped jeans a buy a pair of black work pants. They are cheap at Walmart. Almost the same price as yoga pants :rofl:

5 Likes

I agree. We had a restaurant that had a dress code. Black pants or khakis. While I myself wear yoga pants I didn’t allow the staff. It had nothing to do with people “looking” at them. Butts can look good in all pants. Men will look if they are inclined to look, nothing is going to change that. The problem with the yoga pants was that girls would wear them with ratty bottoms that dragged on the floor. It was sloppy. Our staff wore restaurant t-shirts or black golf shirts with collars. Some of the staff wanted low cut shirts that showed off their “business” insisting they made better tips. It was proven many times that you made better tips off good service and from a family group than a group of drunk guys. A restaurant doesn’t make money off cheap looking staff. The money is made from the product served and the quality of the service. Families don’t want to go to a establishment with trashy waitresses. Concentrate on the service and a neat appearance and the tips will be much more lucrative

3 Likes

No ripped jeans anywhere

2 Likes