What are your thoughts?

Follow the dress code or go find a new job. What a stupid thing to complain about

5 Likes

His reason is stupid but the idea is fine

I agree. Ripped jeans don’t belong in a work place. We have to wear black or khaki pants. Can now wear jeans but NO rips. I wear black yoga pants or drawstring pants but I’m also in the back kitchen area. If you are waiting tables you need to be presentable. Sorry but your appeanrance says a LOT about you as a person.

6 Likes

I think ripped pants are tacky and juvenile and has no place in a work environment. Dress for success, regardless of what the job is.

5 Likes

He’s the boss. At least he not telling you to wear short skirts and low tops

1 Like

ripped jeans aren’t professional so I see this point of view. Yoga pants idc but it is what it is. if you dont like it, I guess find another job

1 Like

What kind of restaurant are we talking about here? A Dennys? An Ihop? Or a 5 star?

2 Likes

We shouldn’t have to censor what we do, say or wear just because people were never taught how to not be perverted. That’s bullshit. Honestly I’d be shopping for a new job.

Hi, HR background here. Private is hard. You’ll probably have to quit and report to the BBB. If there happens to be an HR rep I’d contact them but those don’t usually exist in the private realm. It’s wrong if that’s what you’re asking. Separate yourself from it.

1 Like

I agree. You are serving food jeans in good shape would be alright but a nice dress pant would be even better. You represent the business.

1 Like

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $12427 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://onlinehomejobbiz27.neocities.org/

Causal professional attire is appropriate for a work environment but your managers choice of words in a new position without learning her people was unprofessional she sounds like she isn’t off to a great start

1 Like

I :+1: agree. Ripped jeans look like you area bum. And they are a safety hazard they could get caught on something.

4 Likes

I completely agree. Not professional

1 Like

Sounds like he’s the perv trying to avoid a sexual harassment case :joy:

1 Like

Dress code is a dress code. Follow it or find new employment. The reasoning the manager gives is their own opinion and beside the point. Fact of the matter is there have been IMPROVEMENTS to your current dress code that should be followed without question.

Depends on what type of restaurant it is. If its a crab house/wing/burger and fries. The new owner who spoke on behalf of all women must be unsure of herself as a women. Women out number men 1 to 10. So honey if she’s worried about some yoga pants or ripped jeans to get mans attention. Then she needs to stay single…:woman_shrugging: my hubby can look all he wants in a respectful way. Shoot i might even get lucky later on. :rofl:have a blessed day . My

Yeah that comment was gross. But there is nothing to be done

All these comments… while I agree that jeans are not professional enough for your job, I disagree with the way your boss told you. He should not of made the comment about “women’s husbands looking at you“ that was disrespectful and totally crosses the line. Report him to HR!

1 Like

Agree dress code is what it is and if you want to work there you have to give up ripped jeans. I would document the comment and note if there are any more questionable comments in the future. Is the new manager also owner? If its frequent say something. Ask your fellow coworkers what they think and maybe discuss as a group.

Women should address their boundaries with their husbands, not police what other women wear.

The manager can decide on the dress code, but he should refrain from making comments like that one.

Also, men shouldn’t see a woman at work as an opportunity to approach them. One because they can’t easily leave the situation. Two, because they are trying to work. I don’t go to a burning building and try to pick me up a fireman while he’s putting out the flames.

I think dress codes are dumb. As long as you can recognize the person as an employee, that’s all that matters.

He should have just said there’s an update in dress code. He really didn’t have to give a reason. The reasoning just makes him sound disgusting.

4 Likes

I agree! It’s a business.

3 Likes

My husband is responsible for his own eyes, just as is every male on the planet. If this isn’t an upscale restaurant, then there should be no problem with ripped jeans.

I think people are missing the point. The OP isn’t asking about the dress code. She even stated she doesn’t mind changes. She’s asking for thoughts on the new managers comment. Honestly it is a bit sus. He doesn’t have to give reasoning for changes… but if he does he sure needs to make sure that he explains why the changes are actually needed (health code, safety etc)

4 Likes

Yoga pants are never appropriate anywhere. Ripped or worn clothes are a sign of disrespect of the business and patrons

6 Likes

Technically yoga pants and ripped jeans look too casual for work. It looks like no effort was made getting ready. Honestly I’d think if you’re working for tips you’d want to look a little more put together.

3 Likes

By his unnecessary sexist comments I can already tell he’s not the type of manager to have your back at all. I suspect the staff with be having lots of future issues w/ him.

1 Like

Private business means the dress code can and will change at the whim of the owners/managers. His comments were out of line but as far as the dress code, you either follow it or leave the job.

1 Like

I don’t like the way he said it but if he doesn’t want ripped jeans then don’t wear ripped jeans. His rules. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Thoughts are, if you don’t like the rules, work somewhere else.

2 Likes

Teach the dudes not to stare js it sucks when it’s one way then it changes

The reason the manager gave is very tasteless and tacky… but a dress code is a dress code. As long as it is being enforced for all individuals accordingly. Not allowing this gender to wear tank tops but not that gender, for example, which is what a lot of schools do :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Restaurant ripped jeans open toed shoes and yoga pants shouldn’t be allowed due to hazard of hot liquids. Yoga pants cling too tight if hot liquid hits fabric. It really is safety issue. Comment was inappropriate.

3 Likes

My opinion…Ripped jeans are a tacky, trashy looking fad. They are not dressy, classy or appropriate for public and certainly not professional wear.

4 Likes

I definitely agree with the dress code but because of “women not wanting their husbands watching women in ripped jeans/yoga pants” is NOT a valid reason.
For me, I think it’s important to dress in a professional and uniform manner-meaning everyone have the same general attire or follow the same dress code. Id say “no” to ripped jeans because there’s no way to clarify how ripped is TOO ripped or where the rips may be deemed unacceptable. Same with yoga pants, I don’t think they look very professional.
They could’ve said just that without sexualizing the employees.

6 Likes

I owned a restaurant for several years. I had a dress code and some did not like it. they made great money and if they wanted to work there they needed to abide by my dress code. I personally think it is tacky to wear ripped jeans in a business setting.

10 Likes

It’s a job follow the rules.

3 Likes

wear what they tell you to wear. i don’t agree on the reasons though.

I will have to say that appearances are important. His restaurant…his rules.

8 Likes

The managers word goes. If you don’t agree find a new job. A restaurant should have nice dressing code. And clean looking. Otherwise they won’t have customers

2 Likes

I think it shouldn’t be a woman’s responsibility to dress in a certain way to help men keep their eyes (or hands) to themselves. They should be able to control their own eyeballs. But at the same time if the manager wants employees to present themselves in a certain way to be professional at work I agree with that.

6 Likes

As a manager I can completely understand where he’s coming from 100%…
all honesty in any type of business you should not be wearing ripped jeans or yoga pants especially at a restaurant…
BUT with that said…
either he needs to give you some type of uniform allowance, and/or give you a minimum of 30 days and or provide uniform pants. 
BUT 

5 Likes

Follow the dress Code. Regardless of what husbands wanna see or don’t see

2 Likes

His wording was wrong, but rules are rules, if you don’t like it, find another job! Everyone is replaceable

4 Likes

I’ve worked in the service industry for 20 years and have never been allowed to wear ripped jeans at any restaurant. Although the way he said it was definitely weird and uncalled for I agree.

2 Likes

If you lose the women you lose the men, but the way he said it was unnecessary.

2 Likes

They never should’ve let you wear yoga pants are ripped jeans to work it’s extremely unprofessional just my honest opinion

14 Likes

The way customers sees the employees, the same way they will see the restaurants. Unless is not Hooters, follow appropriate dress code. To me a employee should look clean and presentable. No dressing like going to a park. You represent the company you working for so follow the rules.

5 Likes

I understand that a dress code change would be frustrating but I understand it and it makes sense to look more professional. The reason he gave is absolutely ridiculous though.

2 Likes

My thoughts are: 1) your manager can enforce the dress code as they see fit equally for everyone 2) your manager is itching for an EEOC complaint with those kind of statements. Wear what you are supposed to. But if there are a lot of comments like that, it may need to be addressed.

4 Likes

Let them provide uniform for work. Don’t understand how expensive clothes is

2 Likes

It doesn’t look good your manager is right !!!

4 Likes

I think ripped jeans and yoga pants are inappropriate in the work place and he’s right

17 Likes

I do not like to see ripped jeans. That is my opinion. If there is to be a dress code, fine. Just don’t use what men look at as the reason. Some men look no matter what a lady has on.

6 Likes

So there is a dress code that the previous management didn’t enforce and this manager is enforcing it? I agree her wording is a bit unprofessional, but I agree with no ripped jeans.

5 Likes

Honestly he’s right. It’s not a bar and grill. It’s a PRIVATE OWNED RESTAURANT. A professional business.

2 Likes

Wear what he tells you to wear. It’s a job and you can’t just choose.

2 Likes

Well. I personally wear ripped jeans every day to work but im in an office where few people see me and our culture allows it as its a Screenprinting & Fulfillment Company. With that being said I feel as tho a restaurant probably isnt the best place for ripped or distressed attire. Esp if the restaurant is of higher end. I mean if its a bar & grill then yeah by all means wear whatever but if its like a nice restaurant then yall should def have a strict uniform policy.

Follow the dress code of any place you work.

3 Likes

Pants with holes and yoga pants are very unprofessional for any job period. He’s the manager so he can say it how he’d like. His way was not ideal but he wasn’t wrong. Wear more appropriate clothes to work.

6 Likes

He’s right. Dress appropriately for the job you have. Ripped jeans & yoga pants shouldn’t have been permitted to begin with if it didn’t align with the rules & expectations of the employer.

2 Likes

All I can say as a woman… I pay the tip! I usually don’t care what our server is wearing, it’s how she treats us. I personally don’t wear ripped jeans ( too old and heavy) but it doesn’t bother me if that’s the dress code.

I don’t think ripped jeans or yoga pants are very professional in the work place

4 Likes

I don’t think ripped jeans or yoga pants are very professional in the work place

1 Like

Sounds like women should get better husbands.

3 Likes

It’s unprofessional and I agree with him completely!

3 Likes

But, yea, you can’t really do shit about this in your situation. :woman_shrugging:t2:

His restaurant his rules!
He better be careful tho making those comments or he is going get alot of EEOC complaints.

1 Like

Very unprofessional!

1 Like

Are their publicly owned restaurants? :thinking: ok but for real the comment by the manager doesn’t make any sense to me.

They only time I was allowed to wear yoga pants in the work place when I was pregnant with my oldest and I was working retail

1 Like

My job has the exact same rules. We can wear jeans, but not with holes. No yoga pants or leggings.
Although, nobody said anything this blatantly stupid :laughing: :rofl: they presented it as a professionalism thing. And it went over just fine. The way it was presented to yall is flat out wrong and if it was a corporate store, your boss would be in big trouble. Downside to working for small places is there’s almost no regulation

The comment is borderline sexual harassment, but a dress code isn’t a new concept in the workplace.

If you don’t agree with his views that’s fine but either follow the rules or get a different job

5 Likes

Black jeans or dress pants or knee length black skirt. More professional than ripped jeans.
Also, men should control their eyes.

4 Likes

Well…policy is policy and they can certainly enforce that if it is actually a policy that specifically states no ripped jeans. However, the comment is completely inappropriate and unnecessary.

He can have whatever rules he wants, but he can’t just say whatever he wants. Another downside to private places, there’s basically nothing you can do but quit. Find a better place with a less piggy owner and just cut your losses

1 Like

If there’s a dress code follow it. The assumption of the manager that men will look at their server’s and the wives will be upset is ridiculous. Men are going to ogle regardless of what the servers are wearing, if their the type of men or women that would disrespect their dates.

4 Likes

Are people missing the whole “women want to see their husbands watching us” ? Yeah follow the dress code but what is that comment about?

2 Likes

It’s your job so you have to follow the rules. Disagree with his reasoning but I think it’s important to look smart at work.

5 Likes

Only time I’ve ever been allowed yoga pants or jeans is working from home… even at Wendy’s, I had to wear black pants. No jeans.

3 Likes

I agree it’s not that professional

4 Likes

Just follow the new dress codes! They are there for a reason, just respect them.

2 Likes

My thoughts are it’s a dam job. If u don’t like it work elsewhere

6 Likes

It sounds completely reasonable. Things change. Adapt or move on

5 Likes

It’s their business, they’ll run it as they see fit.

5 Likes

I understand the dress code but that’s nasty and sexist comment

3 Likes

Different managers, different managing style. The last manager was clearly a bit more lax on dress code. This one isn’t Either follow it or 8f you’re not going to follow it, quit. It has nothing to do with who looks at what and ogling. That was a bad excuse when you challenged your manager. Dress code is dress code. Everyone should be dressed the same for the company you are representing while you work. It’s that simple.

5 Likes

It would never occur to me to be offended by yoga pants or ripped jeans and I’m a boomer.

1 Like

Wear what your Boss says or don’t work there

6 Likes

No yoga pants or ripped jeans! That is policy in most places
Be happy they let you wear jeans

5 Likes

Dress for Success…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

The comment was uncalled for but I like the dress code enforcement.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between what you wear to work and what you wear to clean the garage

4 Likes

It is their business they can change the dress code

3 Likes

I don’t know what quality of restaurant you work out, but regardless, I agree with the new manager. You don’t like it, get a new job!

9 Likes

Follow dress code. You are there to work and nothing else. Especially dressing in ways that attract attention for $$ tips. Your service should be good enough to do this in itself. If not, maybe you need to pay more attention to improving your service not what you can wear.

4 Likes

A dress code is a dress code and many places have this particular one. Follow the rules or work somewhere else. Not for you to decide what your work place codes are going to be or why.

1 Like

This is precisely why schools try tomake students follow a dress code. If you don’t like the rules then leave. Their restaurant,their rules

2 Likes