What can cause HPV?

Could have used a dirty public bathroom !!!

2 Likes

I don’t think that can be determined from a pap. Usually if a pap is abnormal, then they want you to come in for a colposcopy. That’s when they biopsy the cervix and send it in for pathology. And it could come back with HPV or normal at that point. So I would ask for a colpo if you only got an abnormal pap.

1 Like

HPV can take 7 years to show up on a test. …Sexually transmitted is only way can get it ,i believe.

I was recently diagnosed with HPV. This is my 6th pregnancy and it never showed up before now. My husband assumed the same, but I had to explain to him that HE is to one who could have gave it to me or i could have gotten it from my very first partner 9 years ago. We will NEVER know… just make sure you follow up with your OBGYN and do the testing they request. They had me go in and they put this vinegar on your cervix to see if anything reacts. Mine came back that yes I have it, but im healthy and there are no concerns… it sucks but it is what it is. It is common. Trust me. I was freaking out the entire time up until that appt. I’m still kinda un easy about the fact but the only thing I and my partner can do, is get the vaccine (after my pregnancy) and that will lessen the load of the virus. You can message me if you have any questions. This is still super fresh for me so I completely understand your feelings right now. Keep your head up mamma. You will get through this!

2 Likes

Your husband has probably carried it this whole time and it is just now manifesting on u. Many men will carry it without symptoms at all. Ive been there! Glad it was caught now!

3 Likes

You can actually transmit it through birth also if you’re having positive and have a natural birth it can be passed along that way also I was born with it because my mother had it when she gave birth naturally so if your hpv positive and have any that’s active at time of birth when I had my daughter that was brought up that if I had an outbreak then I couldn’t deliver naturally this is also why they say at 11 years old to get the k7ds the hpv shot just saying exactly what my dr told me I have never had an outbreak though I just always test positive for it and I have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer it can cause mire than cervical cancer it can cause different cancers as well just follow up with your ob gyn

I’v been told u can get from stress. Also u could’ve had for many year as it Lay’s dorment.

Men can carry without symptoms. HOV can also lay low for years too. You could’ve caught it through someone too.

Some strains of HPV are cancerous. I got the HPV vaccine when I was a teenager.

2 Likes

It doesn’t mean anyone cheated. And it can clear over time! I was born with it and and mine finally cleared a few years ago! Absolutely nothing to worry about, and just keep up with your doctors visits and annuals. Everything will be fine

I had HPV too when I went in for my 8weeks checkup. They did a biopsy and it came back clear.

I know numerous ladies who have had the same. One needed antibiotics , the other just had a repeat smear 6 months later and it was fine , 2 other friends had a biopsy each and both came back fine. It certainly doesnt definitely mean either of you have cheated. You could’ve co teaches it from so.eone else or from him tears ago.

It could’ve layed dorment in your husband for years then gave it to you and it ended up laying dorment in you as well. I would get your husband tested as well just to see and prevent it from spreading to him if he doesn’t have it. Also that way you both can get treated if you both have it as well!

3 Likes

Maybe they aren’t your results , might have gotten mixed up with another Pap smear test in the lab , get retested

Takes years to show up. You couldve got it at any point in your life.

1 Like

I had the cancer type of hpv, that did end up causing cervical cancer. It was caught early but I still had to have a hysterectomy that included removal of my cervix at 27 years old. I was already done having kids so the hysterectomy wasn’t a huge deal for me.

4 Likes

As many have said, it can lay dormant for years and surface later on. There are many different strains of it. High risk types can be cancerous. Other types can present in other ways like warts. The doctor I work with always says “it’s like the longest viral cold your cervix will have.” Our bodies also have the ability to spontaneously clear it in some cases. Typically they’ll do a procedure to view your cervix and possibly take a small sample. But it depends on what protocol is per your provider. While viewing they can see with a microscope any possible abnormalities, the sample is just to ensure their eyes and pathologist eyes meet. Sometimes they end up just repeating paps to make sure nothing else has changed.

6 Likes

HPV is a very common viral infection. Some types can cause cervical cancer if left untreated. Hence the need for routine Pap smears. There is honestly little to worry about. Your Dr more than likely will order another Pap within 6 mi this to see if your body fought the virus. HPV is pretty common and most sexually actively people have had it at least once. Many times it goes undetected as not every type causes visible symptoms. Just go to your checkups and you will be fine.

1 Like

Where do you think it came from?

1 Like

It could have been dormant , for a very very long time.

4 Likes

We give our schoolgirls a vaccination for it

HPV can take years to show. Don’t stress on where it’s come from. Deal with the now :heart:

1 Like

My daughter in law had it and ended up with cervical cancer. She was 27 at the time

1 Like

Speak with you Dr. before you get all hysterical, get the facts as it can lie dormant for years

2 Likes

Tbh I work in Obgyn and almost everyone who has sexual inter course gets it. The way to treat it
Varies upon what type it is. It’s really not much to worry about

5 Likes

It sort of lays dormant until it wants to rear it ugly head.

Talk to your doctor & ask him/her questions concerning it. Most ppl who have hpv don’t even know that they have it. There are various strains of it, some of these strains cause warts, some cause cancer, others have little to no symptoms. There’s no treatment for it, only for the warts (if any) and pre-screening for cancer. Your body is capable of fighting off most strains of the virus, so ur next pap may come back completely fine. Again though, ask ur doctor, it’s the safest & surest way to get accurate information.

1 Like

Men are the carriers of helping create life AND turning a woman life upside down ie STD. That wang can hold many lil uglies for yearsssssss and they absolutely have no clue until - BOOM hunni my pap came back irregular :face_exhaling: Trust it doesn’t mean he’s cheated at all if you aren’t his only sexual partner since he’s been sexually active then you’ll never track it down! Your dr should have explained it and is more knowledgeable than soliciting advise online - if still unclear I’m sure your dr could go more in-depth with you and silence any concerns :blush:

There many strains of HPV, but only about 10% are dangerous. And if you or your husband ever had even one other sex partner, you’ll never know where it came from. Kinda like shingles…HPV is a virus that can be very quiet until it randomly pops up 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

I can’t believe people are saying it’s bc husband cheated. First off he could have sure but hpv can last YEARS before it shows symptoms or shows on any test. And like others said they will re test and your body could have already fought it off

8 Likes

HPV is really common in children as warts. We saw it alot in the clinic

1 Like

Also, you are not alone. 80% of women will have at least one strain.

It can take years to show and does not infer infidelity.

https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/human-papillomavirus

5 Likes

A male can pass it to a female during sex.

I had it with my last pap and found that over 90% of women have it at some point in their lives. Even if partners are faithful it can show up in a pap. I freaked out like you but after researching it I felt a little better.

3 Likes

Most drs don’t always test specifically for HPV. You have to ask because it’s such a common thing to have, that they just assume everyone has it.
You or your partner could have gotten it from a previous partner and it just now came to light.

3 Likes

Hpv can be dormant for years l! I had it and I could have even gotten it from my mom when I was born. While that’s rare it’s possible. I had a biopsy done than once that came back they removed all the bad cells. I haven’t had any abnormalities in over 10 years.

If you and your husband weren’t virgins or even kissed anyone else when you got together it’s most likely from past relationships and has been dormant for years and if you have stress or run down from life in general it can cause it to come out of it’s dormant stage.

3 Likes

Sorry to say but your partner probably gave it to you and not a big deal, As long as they caught it early they can do procedures before you get cervical cancer. Most people that get HPV and it clears on its own (depending on type) I had 2 of the 4 cancer causing types, and like you freaked out, and they did a minor procedure on my cervix. Zero issues and all good paps since, my body cleared the viruses. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It doesnt necessarily have anything to do with your husband.
I was born with. It was dormant until i was around 18.
At 21 when I was pregnant with my first son test showed my cervix were completely covered with hpv.
Being pregnant stops its growth during pregnancy. After I gave birth a had to have a loop or leap procedure done where they went in and scraped my cervix clean. It came back a few years later. I had a second scraping done. Then about 6 years after that it had come back but I didnt know. It had gotten so bad that it petrified my cervics, turning them hard as stone and they had to remove half my cervix.
As far as I know I am still free of the HPV.

1 Like

Ya’ll are assholes. HPV can he dormant for years. It doesn’t mean anyone cheated and it’s super common, which is why we now vaccinate for it. In truth, it doesn’t matter when or where it came from. Just try and take care of yourself.

Hpv isn’t harmful like you we’re led to believe. Most of us have it and never knew it. I wouldn’t worry about it…

2 Likes

l get paid over $165 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18517 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingpay461.pages.dev/

I had this happen as well, same questions as you howwww did this happen?
Fast forward to next pap, came back clear. I’m confused but maybe you’ll come back negative next time. Try not to panic, the way mr doctor explained it to me was your vagina just had a virus. Kinda how we get random colds, hpv can kinda just show up if the conditions are right… now depending on what kind of HPV it is is when they start to worry

Sex unprotected is the main cause, some ppl are born with it.

Many people get hpv and it clears within 2 years for MOST. You need to follow up to be sure it doesn’t spread to cancer. You also need to really check your husband. If you didn’t cheat, he absolutely did. It is spread with sex you don’t just develop hpv. Hate to break it to you but that’s just not reality. One of you had sexual relations outside of your marriage. Unless you’ve been together less than 2 years it’s possibly you’ve had it this whole time.

In 2007 my pap came back abnormal. Showed I had HPV. After that all paps came back normal until 2011. I had precancerous cells. Had a biopsy done. Had paps every 6 months after that up until 2018. They all came back normal. 2020 I was still good.

HPV can lay dormant for years, its the number one reason to get pap smears done annually.

1 Like

Is the question how you got it or who you got it from?

1 Like

Both of you could have already had it and it was dormant. It’s very common.

4 Likes

It comes from sex. Someone gave it to you

I just looked it up online & unless you’ve had it since birth (according to webmd) it would have to be through relations

1 Like

Sex. Most people have it. I do. I have the strain that could lead to cervical cancer

My doc said that almost all women that they’ve seen gets it some time in their life and it usually goes away on its own it’s jus an infection strain an as long as they keep an eye on it and you’ll do another pap in 6 months it should be gone , this was literally me girl I was like oh hell na but you could have had it for years an it not show up till now

I just looked it up online & unless you’ve had it since birth (according to webmd) it would have to be through relations

There are so many strains, and some are hereditary.

Majority of women have it and a lot don’t even know it can also come from all sorts of different ways

90% of the population has some form of HPV and it can lay dormant for years or decades.

5 Likes

I have heard alot of cases where kids are born with it, it could have came from your mother and it stayed dormant up until now. I didn’t realize how common this was…

Just going through the same
I have Hpv with low grade something
I’ve been single for years so it must lay dormant
X

1 Like

Should have asked the doctor🤷‍♀️

One time as a teen Planned Parenthood told me I had that and every single pap has come back normal

This post honestly highlights the reason we should never get advice from forums such as these. Over half of the posters on here have no idea what they are talking about but will argue their google credentials with you. Over half, think she is talking about the herpes simplex virus. Less than 5% of the posters on here actually know what HPV is (human papilloma virus) and are giving quality advice from personal experience. To the 5% great job!

23 Likes

I had this my husband had been carrying it for years and didn’t know because everyone else he wore protection

I had a pap 5 years ago, came up positive. They took a piece of my cervix and had labs done it’s not the cancerous type. Fast forward to now, just had my test and it came back negative.

1 Like

Unprotected sex is the only way.

When I had an abnormal pap, I had precancerous cells. But then had a LEEP done and I’ve been in the clear since. Also many have hpv. Its surprisingly common. It can remain dominant for years.

2 Likes

You could of had it since you lost your virginity

2 Likes

It’s in your body forever, may have come in contact years ago

1 Like

Your doctor is your best source of information.

3 Likes

I specifically asked my Dr a few years back to check for it because a partner had it and they said when your under 25, they not ally won’t even tell you because 80% of those sexually active have some strain of hpv and that they can go away on their own. With that being said, you can also have it for years before showing up positive. It’s ones of those tricky ones for sure.

4 Likes

Also, cancer. Not to scare you…

HPV can stay dormant in your system for many years. It could have come from a partner from many years ago. Talk to your obgyn about it and they can give you all the facts

5 Likes

So I was told the same but I was also born before the hpv vaccine was a thing so my mother never had me vaccinated for it . It’s a shot you get at age 12 . Talk to your Dr they will tell you more.

I have HPV. nor sure from where. Men are typically carriers and can’t be tested for it. Just stay calm.

1 Like

It’s a virus that can live in your body and it enters through a cut, an abrasion, or skin to skin contact. It is very common and every man or woman can get it at any time in their lives. You don’t have to be sexually active to get it. You can have HPV for years and years, even decades, after having normal paps. There are over 200 related viruses related to HPV. There are two kinds of risks low or high. Your own immune system controls the HPV virus so you don’t get cancer. You just need more information. Make an appointment with your gynecologist to discuss it as there are many ways to examine the cells and different procedures to have. The best advice is to see your doctor.

6 Likes

It would be best to have asked the doctor that broke the news to you than present it on Facebook. Multiple sexual partner is a risk factor so one writing that may not necessarily mean your husband is an infidel. It is best to get more details from your doctor

90% have it, it can flare up and then disappear again for decades, you could or your partner could have been born with it or caught it way before yous met each other. Just one of those things

1 Like

I’m literally going thru the same thing right now! I just dif a biopsy and was cold I have CIN2 which if left untreated will give me cervical cancer. 1st time ever having a pap back back irregular and never in my live have I been told I have hpv so I’m so confused about everything too. Just make sure you do what the doc says and get a biopsy and go from them

Please educate yourself.

It’s already in our body, it reminds me of staph infection, how it’s already there it’s just when something throws the balance off… we suddenly have to acknowledge that it’s there.
it’s what the guardisil or & however its spelled is for, occasionally there’s a commercial about getting male and females vaccinated.
My sisters turned to cervical cancer, she had to have them removed.

Years I mean years ago when I was like 18 or so I had ONE pap come back irregular for hpv. (When they came out with the shot you had to get it by 12 or something and I was way past that so I never had the shot to prevent it) On the scale they showed me tho it was like the least likely to cause or become cancerous…but they still wanted to send it off to double check…I am not kidding when I say I am now almost 34 and have never had another irregular pap so idk what happened during that one. It doesnt mean your husband is a cheat and it does not have to be sexualy transmitted from what my Dr advised.

1 Like

HPV is detected in sperm, roughly 25% of the population (men) have HPV in their sperm. It’s not an infection per say, it’s not in the category of STI/STD xxx

Its an STD.
Google it.
It’s human papillomavirus.
I’d be finding out who gave it too you.

1 Like

Its common. I have it too. It isnt nothing to be concerned about. It means your cells could turn cancerous in the future. In my letter it says i have to go back in 12 months for another smear test. Your bodys immune system usually will fight it off. When women have it they wont wait 3 or 5 years for smears. They will have them every year incase it does spread to healthy cells. Dont worry about it. It doesnt mean your husbands cheating. It can happen to anyone as soon as they become sexualy active xx

1 Like

HPV is so common honestly I had an abnormal smear with HPV turned out I had high grade precancerous cells I had treatment and I don’t have HPV anymore and I got the all clear a few months ago. It’s really not a huge deal it can go away by itself xx

3 Likes

90% of people will get a form of HPV in their lives, most of the time it’s benign. Though you’d need regular checkups to make sure it doesn’t become cancerous

2 Likes

They vaccinate teenagers now to prevent the HPV virus that can become cancer.

2 Likes

Ur body carries HPV it can go crazy in ur body due to stress or other thing but it can happen

It can be spread by kissing, droplets, not just sex. I know someone who developed cancer from it. This is why they recommend teens getting the vaccine do it.

It can remain dormant for years

2 Likes

HPV can lay dormant in your system for years, Men can be carriers & show zero symptoms, stress can cause it to flare, some strains cause cancer-Some cause warts. Start doing research before freaking out.

1 Like

You can still get the HPV vaccine until age 45 now. Check with your Dr

It happened to me also.

I had it hun most people do went for a check up not long ago and its gone now I did panic when I had the rest of having it but I looked on the NHS website for answers which reassured me xx

It’s very common for people to have. Most women get it at some point and don’t realize it. There’s not really any symptoms. Most women get over it, some develope cancer, it’s kind a wait and watch. I had it and took about 4 years for my body to fight it off.

1 Like

Your body can hold the virus in it inactive for years. I tried the to blame my ex husband for cheating (he did) but the doc told me I could’ve had it since 18 when I became sexually active and it never came out until my 30s

8 Likes

its generally just there dormant.
most people have hpv. and even with the vaccine people still get a form of it and it’s nothing serious
just try not to worry

3 Likes

Not to scare you but my grandmother originally was told it was hpv turns out it was cervical cancer and she had to have a hysterectomy

3 Likes

It’s super common. It could have been dormant in your body for a long time then the stress of kids/life make it active. I went to a naturopath and she gave me vitamin suppositories, pro biotic specific for vagina, and mushroom pills for immune system. I just had a 12 month follow up and it was back to normal

…it isn’t hereditary.