What can I do for headaches in pregnancy?

I have a question. I am 20 weeks pregnant today and the last 4 days straight I have woken up with a headache that lasts all day. Nothing is helping. My midwife said it’s okay to take a low dose of ibuprofen but not even that helped. I have tried EVERYTHING. Please help what could be wrong and what else can I do? I have a doctors appointment this Monday so we’ll see.

7 Likes

Bring it up to dr… remain adamant that this is not normal for you

2 Likes

Have you tried drinking more water? Dehydration headaches are super common during pregnancy

5 Likes

Drink Water, peppermint oil, ice compress, ginger

1 Like

Have you checked to make sure your blood pressure isn’t running high?? That will cause headaches.

4 Likes

Water water water. I would be miserable without copias amounts of water!!! Like almost 2 gallons a day.

3 Likes

Have some blood work done. In the meantime, hydrate! Water. Water. Water.

2 Likes

I agree with both ladies above. Try increasing water intake. If that doesn’t help be persistent to the doctor that it’s NOT NORMAL for you.

2 Likes

I suffered severe migraines a s headaches pregnant with mine, and my doctor had me drink a coke, however I was high risk and could not take.medication it.did give.some.relief. I would.suggest to lay down and drink plenty of fluids.

1 Like

Have you had your blood pressure checked?

2 Likes

I have/had bad headaches. Went and got excedrin that didn’t have the aspirin in it. So Tylenol and caffeine. Most of the time it helped.

2 Likes

Magnesium, water, try something with potassium too (bananas, pickles)

2 Likes

Could be allergies or sinus headache

1 Like

Get your BP checked asap

2 Likes

Lots of Water & i used magnesium oxide. You get Over the counter and it worked wonders !! Advised by my doctor when they just wouldn’t go away.

1 Like

You should NEVER take ibuprofen when pregnant!!! The only thing the doctors recommend taking is Tylenol. I’m pregnant with baby #2 And with both pregnancies the told me absolutely NO ibuprofen!

3 Likes

Drink more water stay hydrated

1 Like

Get your blood pressure checked regularly and have your iron levels checked. You could be anemic

1 Like

You could have perclamser you should get an ultra sound.

1 Like

Take excedrin migrain works miracles and I’m pregnant and that is what I take

1 Like

Magnesium. That’s what the labor and delivery nurses gave me

1 Like

I had extremely bad headaches a couple of days in a row about the same time you are and i ate tons of watermelon and the next day or two it finally subsided and i just continued that with increased water intake

1 Like

I had this problem, turns out it was the new pop we had at work. Orange fanta… lasted all day. Stopped drinking that headaches went away after a day. It was the only “difference” I could place and that’s what it was. So do you have anything new happening in your day to day?

1 Like

Peppermint oil on your temples

1 Like

Caffeine. I suffer from migraines that are like that and my Dr suggests something with caffeine, either coke or coffee. I was also prescribed fioricet its specifically made for headaches. Its not normally given during pregnancy, but mine have been so severe this pregnancy that my dr thinks its better to have that than be in constant pain

1 Like

Peppermint oil…and don’t cheap out…temples and forehead and back of neck. But drink a ton of water

1 Like

I always took tylenol for my headaches when pregnant

1 Like

If b/p is ok, try peppermint on your temples, and also a chiropractor

1 Like

Increase water intake maybe ?

2 Likes

You can get headaches with high blood pressure too did u get checked for preclampsyia

2 Likes

Have you checked your blood pressure lately? I had massive headaches and my blood pressure ended up sky rocketing. Just to be on the safe side you don’t want to risk eclampsia

2 Likes

I’m 35 weeks I hate to say sometimes it just happens in pregnancy. I had them as well. I took tylenol never ibuprofen. If you stopped drinking caffeine then drink a coke or Pepsi and that will help. Caffine and or chocolate help a lot. You can put vicks on your temples and back of your neck or peppermint oil whichever you prefer. You may not be eating enough your growing baby is taking a lot out of you. Also make sure your drinking water and taking prenatals.

1 Like

Don’t take ibuprofen, Tylenol regular strength is all you can take. I had horrible headaches to the point that a nerve block in my neck was suggested but instead I took 400 MG of magnesium everyday, drank water, and used heat/cold compresses after work. Minimize looking at screens and mine have been gone for 2 months. Make sure they rule out preeclampsia! Good luck!

1 Like

Ibuprofen is not safe during pregnancy. Drink plenty of water , get plenty of rest. Glad you’re seeing the doctor. Sometimes headaches during pregnancy tend to ease up the further along you get. Good luck!

1 Like

I done this and my potassium iron and b12 were all EXTREMELY low. Nothing took my headache away and I had never had one for two weeks straight like that.

1 Like

Tylenol. Never ibuprofen

5 Likes

Cut back on salt ? Maybe raising blood pressure it happen to me n drink enough water if you dont already may help ?

2 Likes

Check your blood pressure

2 Likes

Tylenol. No ibuprofen. I had migraines during ng my second trimester with both of my pregnancies and also had a pounding headache for 3-4 days straight , turned out to be sinuses

1 Like

Mabey high blood pressure. Drink plenty of water, cut back on the salt, vix vaper rub on your temples & forehead

1 Like

Try rubbing peppermint oil on your temples I suffer n had bad when pregnant only thing that helped

1 Like

If you lay on your back it could be causing the headaches! Try only sleeping on your left side with a pillow inbetween your legs, they say when you lay on your back all the weight of your organs and uterus put a lot of pressure on one of your main blood supplies, it can cause headaches and shortness of breath

2 Likes

I had a migraine for 11 days straight in my secind trimester. The only temporary relief i got was from mersyndol

1 Like

Bp? Lay on your left side if it’s high.

1 Like

You can take excderin

1 Like

NEVER IBUPROFEN!!! try tiger balm on the forehead and temples that or just get into the shower sit on the floor and let the shower water run over your head that saved me this morning

2 Likes

Blood pressure. Get it looked at

1 Like

NO ibuprofen, tylonal and even excedrin are safe… HOWEVER you might wanna go in a early sign of preeclampsia is headaches that wont go away

I had chronic migraines throughout my pregnancy. I started getting regular massages and sort of had to struggle through them. Massage helped some.

1 Like

Try a prenatal massage.

1 Like

Could be anything. I would go to l&d if you have another one just to make sure it isnt blood pressure but I got migraines when I was pregnant and it was because of the hormone increase and they were horrible, I would suggest trying to eat regularly and drink a lot of water.

Try essential oils. Ask ur doc about them being safe. Most are but some aren’t. A drop of Thieves on my tongue and a drop of peppermint on my temples made my headache go away and stay away in minutes.

2 Likes

Are you sleeping on your back? Can cause headaches.

Coffee and bananas, or if doc approves try excedrine tension headache (only has Tylenol and caffeine in it). Try resting a pencil between your top and bottom teeth (it helps relieve pressure). Also cold wrap or compress over your eyes while you try to nap it away. I’ve had to work through migraines during pregnancy so I totally feel for you. Check with dr for their opinion because sometimes the stress caused by getting through a migraine is worse for the baby than something over the counter deemed safe. Good luck!

2 Likes

Well first off your not sapost to take ibuprofen the doctors will tell you the only thing you should take is Tylenol the headache is normal especially if you have high blood pressure,could also be caused by eating to much sugar,do you take prenatal vitamins? It’s very good for you and the baby…could help!

1 Like

Do you go to the chiropractor? If you don’t I suggest you start! I went the whole way through my pregnancy and it helped so much with widening my hips and keeping me in line! If I have a bad headache for a few days it’s usually because my neck is out of place. Something to try if the above suggestions don’t work :woman_shrugging:t2:

I have had chronic migranes since I was a baby, and they got 20x worse when I was pregnant. Nauseas medicine, Tylenol, and Benadryl would knock it out. Its called the migraine “cocktail”. The benadryl would put me to sleep and I would wake up migraine free.

Chiropractor helped my headaches

Also running hot bath water and sticking your feet in only helps it pulls the blood flow from your head to your feet and relieves the pain.

I’m 36 weeks tomorrow and I’m currently experiencing the same thing. Its a constant headache that just lingers. Tylenol doesn’t help and its not lack of water because I drink water daily and my blood pressure is always good at appts. Its never ending it’ll last for days sometimes and then some days its gone or stays around for an hour or two. It started about 2 weeks ago and I go to my 36 week check up tomorrow so I’m hoping they can figure out what it is. These past 2 weeks have been horrible. I’d hate to have to deal with this for another 5 weeks I have things that need to get done around the house before baby arrives…

1 Like

Rub peppermint and lavender oil on your temples with an ice pack on your neck. I get headaches/bad migranes very often and it really helps me. I hope it helps you. Good luck.

1 Like

Chiropractor, the migraine cocktail, and my dr put me on magnesium twice daily. That’s what helped me.

Check your blood pressure.

1 Like

I started having issues with my migraines being constant, ended up being high blood pressure. It took until 2 months postpartum to finally be diagnosed with uncontrolled hypertension. Even with bp meds, I still can’t keep it down and the migraines away.

My sister in law had CONSTANT headaches with both her boys. Essential oils is the only thing that helped her

Are you absolutely sure the midwife said ibuprofen??? Everyone I have ever spoken to has told me no ibuprofen, only tylenol/acetaminophen. Please dont take it until you call and reconfirm 9r get a second opinion from a doctor. Other than doctors, even Google says no ibuprofen. Please be careful…

4 Likes

NO IBUPROFEN, call dr. check BP, call Dr.

1 Like

Have your A1C check I had the same thing happen with me and it turned out that I have gestational diabetes.

And a low dose of Tylenol is safer than ibuprofen

1 Like

Spoonful of peanut butter helped me

Never ibuprofen! Tylenol only. Could be sinus headache. Could be caffeine withdrawal headache.

1 Like

Im not pregnant and have had a migraine the last 2 days. NOTHING is helping.

Are you drinking enough water?

Hydrate, tumeric milk and chiropractor.

I ended up with hypertension and preeclampsia careful momma

I had a bad migraine one day and the midwives said absolutely don’t take ibuprofen

Try cinnamon oil on your temples.

I had this around the same time. Doctor told me it was just a shift in hormones

I had the same thing around the same time
I drank lots of water
Cold sweet drink to give me energy
And lots of rest (warm milk and honey helped me sleep)

Drink water and a cup of coffee. Then lay down with an ice pack after taking Tylenol for 30 minutes to an hour.

I use Tylenol, try drinking caffeine. That has helped me tremendously. Ice packs or a hot towel & rest.