What can I do for my son who is scared of water?

You could just leave him alone, not everyone likes the same things he doesn’t have to like the water just because you want him to. He is allowed to be afraid of things, is there nothing in this world that scares the shit out of you ?

I’m terrified absolutely terrified of snakes putting me in a tub of snakes would not help that :roll_eyes: my son loves snakes and that’s great but we can like and dislike different things :woman_shrugging:t3:

It’s a pretty easy fix if he can’t swim and is around water he wears a float of some sort stop trying to use drowning as a way to force someone to do something they A dnt like and B are deathly terrified of !

I get paid 0ver $ 109 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 12885 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
SEE MORE HERE… https://Jobs4.pages.dev

Swim lessons, a counselor or therapist, get a small kiddy pool, toys, make it seem fun. He can definitely have a fear of water, deep water, whatever. It may be irrational to you, but it’s real for him. Don’t traumatize him more. And see if you can get him to open up about it. To you, away from your husband.
Sidenote- my sister and I didn’t grow up together but we both have fears of deep dark water, like oceans. Xoxo

2 Likes

I know how you feel. My son will be 9 next month he hates when water is on his face he freaks. But he will play in the shallow water at the beach with his life jacket on

I was always scared of drowning maybe he is too

1 Like

Start off with a kid pool. Set up fun games water balloons that he can make. Just throw them into to the pool or the ground. Play water balloon volleyball with towels & big water balloons. My lil cousin hated water when we were young. We played this he couldn’t get enough. That summer he spent so much time around water with us he just got used to of it. Just keep putting him around water till the fear it goes away.

1 Like

Start off with a kid pool. Set up fun games water balloons that he can make. Just throw them into to the pool or the ground. Play water balloon volleyball with towels & big water balloons. My lil cousin hated water when we were young. We played this he couldn’t get enough. That summer he spent so much time around water with us he just got used to of it. Just keep putting him around water till the fear it goes away.

1 Like

I am 74 years old. I never liked water in my eyes and do not like going under water. A friend in high school pushed me in the lake. I swam back to the dock and wasn’t happy. I can swim across the water. Once in Florida I had a couple of drinks and was driving off the diving board. The next day I would not do it again. Leave him alone and let him go at his own pace. It is terrifying and if you force him he may never swim.

2 Likes

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR HUSBAND PLEASE! Small steps are great with a phobia. You’re going to further traumatize your child if you do it your husband’s way. Maybe start with a cool sprinkler under a trampoline, water guns, fun water toys, and work your way up. Very very small then work your way up to a kiddie pool. He’s got to get used to the water being in his face first it sounds like. My grandmother is deathly afraid of water and has been her entire life. No one ever worked with her through it, so to this day she will only put her toes in the water wherever we go. I also agree with people saying professional swim lessons once he’s worked through some of this fear. I feel he needs to get through some of this anxiety and be able to at least play with water and have fun with water toys before you take that step though.

5 Likes

First thing Mom, is he is 7 years old, Why are you still bathing him?? Secondly I am 63 years old and can swim, but I have a problem when I get water in my eyes and face. I feel like I’m not in control. I would suggest getting counselling for the whole family… ASAP!! P.S. It only takes 2 tablespoons of water to drown…

2 Likes

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR HUSBAND PLEASE! Small steps are great with a phobia. You’re going to further traumatize your child if you do it your husband’s way. Maybe start with a cool sprinkler under a trampoline, water guns, water balloons, fun water toys, and work your way up. Very very small then work your way up to a kiddie pool. He’s got to get used to the water being in his face first it sounds like. My grandmother is deathly afraid of water and has been her entire life. No one ever worked with her through it, so to this day she will only put her toes in the water wherever we go. I also agree with people saying professional swim lessons once he’s worked through some of this fear. I feel he needs to get through some of this anxiety and be able to at least play with water and have fun with water toys before you take that step though.

1 Like

It would be nice if they could also play or see kids their age love the water or bathe in the pool with the other kids or their friends.

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16298 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. ===> https://dollarquick140.pages.dev/

I’m 34 years old and hate deep water. I know how to swim but I don’t like it. Also, I don’t like the feeling of being wet. It don’t hurt, no. But it’s uncomfortable and feels weird. Idk how to explain it but the sensation sets off my anxiety

1 Like

Sounds like a past life issue

1 Like

My grandson was like that, when I took him and his big brother to the pool. I put his life vest on and if he wants to come in he can. His brother and I go in really close to where he is and just play. It wasn’t long before he was in up to his knees. He didn’t want to go any further and that’s fine. Next time I hope to get him in more, but for now this is fine…

1 Like

Swimming lessons. Tell him it’s so that he can get stronger and to teach him how to not drown.

Talk to him about what he would learn and how it could help him when his in the water.

For water on his face say eyes down, bubbles and then tip (a small amount to begin with) some water over his face. The eyes down means to close his eyes and bubbles means to blow bubbles (you can even hand him some bubbles to encourage him) like you do under water.

Maybe you should accept him as he is and make plans around it.

2 Likes

He needs swimming lessons….

1 Like

My daughter had the same fears after she almost drowned at 4. We took her for swimming lessons at the Y. Seeing other kids her age and the really good instructor helped her be able to get in the water. She’s 26 now and will go kayaking and in pool, but still wears a life jacket

1 Like

Swimming lessons and perhaps therapy to help him overcome his fear. This is definitely one he needs to conquer.
Also, it sounds like a past life issue.

4 Likes

My 9 year old is on the spectrum and is the same with water. He never goes in a pool higher than his ankles. Just embrace it and support him. Don’t force it or belittle him. He will either come to it in his own time or he won’t… either way is not wrong or right :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m kidding, honest.

Swimming lessons for at least his safety of learning so he dosent drown one day if a accident ever occurred

My child was like this. She was deathly afraid of water. & she is the same way in the tub, she needs to wipe her face a lot & she doesn’t like the feeling of water in her hair. I think it’s more of a sensory issue for her, which gives her anxiety & turns into fear of water in general. The older she’s gotten the more comfortable she is with water. I would def say just be patient & don’t force him into the water if he doesn’t want to go in. When my daughter wanted to sit out, we would just take turns sitting out with her or staying by the side so we could watch her closely. Now she’s fine to go in the water & makes that call on her own. It’ll get easier.

1 Like

As someone absolutely terrified of deep water - 42 and unfortunately I hold by breath in the shower - I know it’s completely irrational but it’s completely involuntary-
I’d say try swimming lessons and outline his fear to the instructor-
I’d also do a small kiddie pool then maybe a little bigger so he can acclimate in private away from unpredictable strangers.
And just to be honest - he may never take to it fully.
Just love him and do your best

2 Likes

So you think pushing a kid into bathing and water fun that has aqua phobia is the right thing smdh I am glad I don’t have parents like you

2 Likes

As children our mother passed her fear of the water to us. It was something I have never been able to get over. Don’t push him, it is already traumatizing to the child.

Give him swimmimg lessons by a swimming instructor, They teach breathing and they will get a certificate when finished. Backoof and let someone else doit.

Has he had swim lessons yet

I would try a hypnotherapist

Try kiddie pools with each one get a bigger one next time keep getting bigger one but only to his waist deep let him decide if he wants to dunk himself but only him decide that let him know he can stand up and not drown but maybe only thigh to waist high all while he has his life jacket on then go from there I can swim good but do not like splash water on my face

2 Likes

Our 6 year old grandson was just like your 7 year old - with the exception his 2 older brothers (10 & 12) loved water parks and diving boards. We purchased a 2 foot inflatable pool one summer where he could cool off and mostly feel safe. He learned to hold his breath and “swim” under water - all on his own terms while his brothers enjoyed water parks. That summer gave him the confidence he needed to enjoy the water and not be afraid. He swam competitively on the Y swim team from the age of 8 until high school - where he continues to swim competitively and breaks records!!

1 Like

My son had fear of water. He is cool in the tub minus the fact he wants a towel to dry his face all the time. We ended by chance being at river and he could touch the bottom with his life jacket on and he was ok. So I ended up getting a pool that he could stand up in and he is now like a fish. I never pushed him because my grandmother deathly scared of water. A healthy fear of the water is good. Water parks are extremely overwhelming. I’m a strong swimmer and they make me feel uncomfortable. Try working him slowly in not deep water a little at a time. I am always right beside my kids

I do not like water parks either .GET him goggles and a snorkel,let him try them on in the house .THen get him to try them in the bath tub .Explain what they allow you to do or let him discover for himself .I always used arm bands for my kids and they all can swim like fish .

My mother almost drowned in the ocean when she was 17. She was caught by an undertow, and if it hadn’t been for her uncle grabbing her long hair and pulling her back out, she wouldn’t have survived. After that, she was deathly afraid of the water & swimming.

My dad respected her fear, but he insisted that my sisters and I take swimming lessons when we were young. We spent a lot of time at the beach, and in the ocean … and I never had a fear of water. But I understood my mom’s fear, after I was caught in an undertow. Had I not known how to swim, and had I not felt completely comfortable in the ocean, I could have easily drowned.

Fear alone can be deadly, because it prevents you from being able to relax and keep your wits about you.

Your child has a deadly fear of water. Forcing him to go in the water is only going to cripple him, and scar him for life. You need to really listen to him, and hear him, when he expresses his fears to you. I would suggest professional counseling, just to help him feel like you are really listening and taking his fears seriously.

Forcing children to confront a fear when they aren’t emotionally ready can cause so much damage, and can affect them for the rest of their lives. It might seem trivial to you, since you can’t relate to his trauma … you don’t have fear of water, so you just can’t understand his fear of water … but his fear is real.

Think of something that really scares you … that you are so afraid of that you start hyperventilating just at the thought … and that’s where your son lives every time he is around water. It doesn’t have to make sense to you … he just needs to know he can count on you … both of you … to keep him safe. When your husband talks about throwing him in the water with a life jacket, it makes your son lose his faith and confidence and trust in you as parents.

You need professional counseling for your son … and family counseling wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.

3 Likes

Start in very shallow water, kiddie pool! He’s scared and has to get over it! Pond edge, w sand? Something he can play in, and just start by getting his feet wet, literally! I was the same way as a small kid (till about 6)! Mine wasn’t ‘cured’ the same way, but wish it was! My mom was a swimmer. So, when I was 6, she took me to pool, where they were having a swim meet, and threw me in the pool. Got third place and didn’t quit swimming for about thirteen years!!!

2 Likes

Does he has and problems with sensory processing ?? My son hates water splashing on him and it’s taken him so long to get used to water but we found out it’s a sensory thing and there’s ways to work on it

1 Like

So does this mean he’s never taken a bubble bath?!?!! Played in a tub with water?!?! No idea where you live but children MUST learn how to swim especially if you live in a state where there are beaches, lakes, swimming pools etc… his fear is real and it won’t be easy but find him a swimming school, redcross.org is a good place to start

So does this mean he’s never taken a bubble bath?!?!! Played in a tub with water?!?! No idea where you live but children MUST learn how to swim especially if you live in a state where there are beaches, lakes, swimming pools etc… his fear is real and it won’t be easy but find him a swimming school, redcross.org is a good place to start

Is it possible that he has a sensory disorder? My brother has a sensory problem and was terrified of the water, too. Even things on his hands bothered him. Just something to consider.

1 Like

I would get him checked for a sensory disorder. That is possible with the fear of water. I’ve heard it ALOT.

2 Likes

Leave the poor kid alone. You and your husband are making it worse

6 Likes

His face needing to be dry sounds like it could be a sensory issue. I would do some googling though. Aversins to water in children. Sensory issues with water in children. Fear of water in children. I’m sure there is a lot of helpful information under those contents. I hope you find what it takes.

3 Likes

Yes Ginny is right, my son was not that bad but would not stick his face under water was so proud when he did and was under longer then his instructor , this was many years ago and he had a college student giving him lessons

Professional swimming lessons . Some goggles and someone with patience, who will allow your son to feel at each stage he is safe and ready for the next

1 Like

Have you tryed a small paddling pool, which you could leave up, and just wait and see if he sees his brother having fun in it might help, but please don’t push him, it will make him worse.

Face goggles in the tub to help him practice ‘swimming’ then water won’t get in his eyes or nose! Get him use to water little by little… baby steps!

2 Likes

l just g0t pald over 130 D0IIars per h0ur w0rklng fr0m h0me. l never th0ught l’d be cap@ble t0 d0 lt but my best buddy gets 0ver 19598 D0IIars a m0nth d0ing this and she c0nvinced me t0 try.

https://dollarquick33.pages.dev/

Please do not force him! It will only make it worse. Maybe you could talk to a counselor and hire a professional for 1:1 swim lessons, someone that is experienced with teaching someone who is terrified of water. BABY STEPS!!! It may be something that he will never do all of his life. I know some adults that have never learned to swim and are scared of the water. Please do NOT force him!!

2 of my kids (husbands from another relationship) werent use to bathing reguarly so they acted way up getting a bath screaming at the top of their lungs and crying. Gotta just keep doing it. Dont baby em. Tell em their fine and continue on. We payed for a water park and the younger 1 still doest like the water . it ended up being a waste. He screams bloody murder, he did the same last year got about a hair better so far this year. The older 1 ended up liking swimming after we forced him to do it. He loves to swim now. Just take him swimming alot and let him get used to it

It might just take time unfortunately. My 6 year old is the exact same way with water touching his face and will not go under etc. this year was the first time I got him in the water without freaking out because I bought him a tube that he wears and he can move around freely. But he will still freak out over things that seem silly. He has sensory processing disorder and that’s why the water in the face is such a big deal. My 13 year old used to be afraid as well but as she got older and more comfortable and understanding she will swim on her own now. Just give him time and eventually he’ll do these things when he’s comfortable. Forcing him in will not help the situation, that was his fathers idea as well but I refused to allow that.

I drowned when I was 12. I won’t go near water…rivers. Pools or boats it is wise to be fearful of water…it kills…I take showers and bubble baths…but for some here saying he must learn how to swim…we are not fish or ducks…try saving a drowning victim…and you’ll drown as well…leave the kid alone…use baby wipes and never throw us in a pool or river thinking we’ll swim…for we will indeed drown !!!

4 Likes

I only read a small portion of this but I was terrified of water when I was a kid had to have a vest/floaties at all times and would not let go of my mom… I honestly don’t rember what exactly pulled me out of it but I just kinda grew out of it at some point… But if he doesn’t want to go swimming don’t make him :woman_shrugging: if he freaks out in even a bath don’t make him go in deeper water if he’s terrified that’s just mean… Let him get into at his own pace

2 Likes

I think it’s imperative for all children to learn how to swim. It could save their lives one day. That said, if your children are so frightened of water, a trained swim instructor is the best bet for your children. They will know how to handle this fear and help them get over it. They don’t need to be Olympic grade swimmers but you never know when an emergency would arise that would put them in a position to need to keep safe. It will take a lot of patience and time. I wish you much luck, my dear.

1 Like

Your child has a phobia… It’s real. It’s not something you just traumatize him with to get over it, just because you like water :flushed:

My mother has been deathly scared of any water past showers, baths & rain to the point she has nightmares about drowning.

Seek help for him but do not traumatize him so you can continue your “fun water activities”

7 Likes

Not sure, but water to me equates to emotions. Suggest a creative visualisation in front of water to see what emotion and allow them to explore the reason.

It sounds like a sensory issue, I know of someone who has autism and hates water. And will cry and scream in the bath.

1 Like

Try a baby pool in your back yard. Give him some goggles. Let him set the pace. Get him to the point where he can control himself in the water. Push himself up off the bottom of the pool with 1 hand. Once he gets comfortable with this, get a little deeper if a kids pool.

Counseling therapy and continue to take him to the pool! He will stop eventually

1 Like

Let your husband take the reigns on this one!
Don’t interfere. Stand way back or don’t be in view. He needs to confront his fear and this is the only way.

Coming from someone who almost drown two times in a row when I was 5 yrs old and was terrified of water. It occured at the beach and I got sucked in the low tide waves :ocean:.
Years have past and I wouldn’t even go swimming or to the beach and walk on the wet sand. One day my parents took my twin sister and I to the beach and suddenly my dad carried me to the ocean and put me down where the waves were at ny ankles… I kicked and screamed trying to escape his grasp. He refused to have me be afraid of water for the rest of my life! We must of walked a couple miles with me kicking and screaming and he held my hand not letting me run off . I suddenly realized that I wasn’t getting sucked in the waves and that I can handle it. My mom and sister did not save me. My dad did-the one who forced me on the water.
I know how to swim, I learned Becuz it’s important to face fears. I can go in pools and can go to the beach and also u don’t go deep in ocean and still lil paranoid to allow my kids to jump the waves I make sure there’s an extra fault with me and I can enjoy the beach. Not living in fear is better than just avoiding all rivers lakes and beaches for the rest of your life.

Do not toss him in and let him scream and cry until he realises it’s ok. He will not realise it’s okay.
I hate water. Always have. Can’t stand it on my face, it freaks me out. Deep water absolutely terrifies me. The very idea of being tossed into water and abandoned gives me EXTREME anxiety. Since I’m older I can put it into words - water = drowning. Water on face feels like drowning. Being tossed into water with a life jacket means I can’t touch the bottom. I don’t know where the bottom is. The bottom is my security. Take that away and all rational thought disappears. Please do not do that to him.

It would be better to have a professional deal with this rather than traumatising him further. Perhaps a swim instructor who is familiar with water phobias and can assist him in overcoming his fear. Or even a therapist.

6 Likes

My youngest daughter was absolutely terrified of water when she was little. Didn’t even want to walk in the kiddie pool. We tried everything to get her comfortable in the water. Eventually I had to sit in shallow water with her at our community pool and hold onto her as she clung to me and just sit there reassuring her. Every 10-15 minutes I would edge a tiny bit further in. We did this several times. Finally once we had gotten out a little bit where I was no longer able to sit I started working on getting her to try splashing. She wore one of those life vests that go around the body and around each arm, I can’t remember what they are called. She got comfortable and finally she was wanting to play in the water. She is now like a fish, swimming every chance she gets. It was painfully slow, but it was so worth all the time and effort! She has had lessons now, swims under water and just loves to swim. Please don’t force your child, just have patience and take your time. It is do worth the effort!

Have him tested for a sensory condition. Then, get a therapist to find out where this fear came from. You need to cause to dind the cure.

3 Likes

Look in to SPD. Even if he doesn’t have a sensory processing disorder, I’ve found that a lot of the skills, tools and approaches to tackling things kids are having trouble with so very helpful.

Sensory therapy, trauma therapy and they will guide you step by step.

1 Like

With my kiddos (one 6 one 3), we had this same issue. :woman_facepalming:t2: last year we ended up living at an apartment complex that had a pool. I went EVERYDAY I had off. Eventually it turned into being ok with being carried in the water. But what REALLY helped was kids their own age with NO fear of the water. They would sit for the first few times and watch these kids and be like “I wanna play with them.” And I said, welp, get in your floatie and paddle out there. Now these same kids of mine (7 and 4) are showing other kids the same ages (that also experience the same fear) to jump into shallow water, floaties, and also teaching them to swim on their back.

So it could help if they have siblings or good friends that around the same age. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I am scared to death of water I have been since I was a child I am a great grandmother now and I am still scared to death of the water. Whatever you do don’t force him into the water he cannot help his fear and forcing him will only make it worse.

3 Likes

Start small in getting him used to water. Instead of putting him in these big water parks try smaller play areas where there is a sprout to run through. Let him just uses his hands and play in water making bubbles, helping with dishes, doing projects with water like feet painting, hand painting. Show him how to move water with his mouth by blowing on it. Talk to him about his fear of water calmly and see if it was a show that someone drowned in that has made him fearful. Learn to accept the fact that he doesn’t want to put his head under water. At sometime he might came to accept that he can do it. Sit with him at the side of a brook or a pool where you might be able to watch fish swimming and birds to. Make a game of it. How many can you see? What color do you think they are?

My son was this all over including the towel for the eyes and ears and face

So firstly get baby Johnson’s shower gel (it’s the gentle on the eyes yellow one)

And then let them wash themselves and what was a game changer for me was moving house, I found trying to get him to put his head back and using a bucket was just no good for us.
In our new house there is no longer a bath and we now have a big shower with a hand held tap or the set tap so I change it to hand held and got him use to putting his head back and just setting the hair, no soap!! So there is no fear is simply a trust challenge for both of you, don’t wet the face and only wet the hair and use you hand as a shield for the forehead if you need. Once you do this a few times saying you did so well and I’m proud of you and lots of praise and see that wasn’t bad type of stuff you the. Introduce the baby Johnson gentle on eyes and you just do the hair!
For the face you wet a face washer (no soap) and you wring it out and let them wash over their face! We are not up to soap on the face yet but we will get there

Also put my son in swimming lessons coz they really fear getting in water with mum and dad, he loves his swim teacher and I’m so glad I did that at the start of the year, it’s helped him so much he now puts his head under the water and can swim! But showering is another story, still asks each shower if he has to wash his hair and I tell him he can play but today is a hair wash day and to call me when he’s ready, or we can do it now before the water gets cold and you can spend the rest of the time playing. You gotta find what works for you and gently show them how and build that trust with them so they know mummy won’t wet my face

So firstly get baby Johnson’s shower gel (it’s the gentle on the eyes yellow one)

And then let them wash themselves and what was a game changer for me was moving house, I found trying to get him to put his head back and using a bucket was just no good for us.
In our new house there is no longer a bath and we now have a big shower with a hand held tap or the set tap so I change it to hand held and got him use to putting his head back and just setting the hair, no soap!! So there is no fear is simply a trust challenge for both of you, don’t wet the face and only wet the hair and use you hand as a shield for the forehead if you need. Once you do this a few times saying you did so well and I’m proud of you and lots of praise and see that wasn’t bad type of stuff you the. Introduce the baby Johnson gentle on eyes and you just do the hair!
For the face you wet a face washer (no soap) and you wring it out and let them wash over their face! We are not up to soap on the face yet but we will get there

Also put my son in swimming lessons coz they really fear getting in water with mum and dad, he loves his swim teacher and I’m so glad I did that at the start of the year, it’s helped him so much he now puts his head under the water and can swim! But showering is another story, still asks each shower if he has to wash his hair and I tell him he can play but today is a hair wash day and to call me when he’s ready, or we can do it now before the water gets cold and you can spend the rest of the time playing. You gotta find what works for you and gently show them how and build that trust with them so they know mummy won’t wet my face

1 Like

Do not force him 2 children no fear jumped off diving board the oldest one was afraid made him go with us but did not make him go in and I did not say athing he eventually went in on his own

Swimming lessons by a professional and therapy

3 Likes

swimming lessons with similar age group. parents not present.

Get him a swim mask, maybe a snorkel too for the tub. My kiddo was this way until about 10, wore her mask in the shower so water didn’t get in her eyes.

1 Like

Therapy, including occupational therapy. This is much bigger than you realize. Children have very real fears just like adults, and he is in desperate need of coping mechanisms to help him feel safe.

Swimming lessons where they let him sit at the side of the pool. There are swimming lessons that give children something to hang on to something. Wade with him in wading pools and along the shore. Don’t push him
Showers not tubs or a minimum amount of water. Slowly letting him change the depth

If you decide to go with the kitty pool idea, including some water activities, some things he likes to play but incorporate with the pool.

Why would you book a holiday at a water park if you know your child is terrified of water ? It’s cruel . I’m amazed they didn’t have a heart attack when your husband put them in the water . Be a mother , protect your child and get them some professional therapy . You wouldn’t go into a room full of spiders if you were terrified of them yet you’re expecting your child to confront his fear head on :rage:

Why would you book a holiday at a water park if you know your child is terrified of water ? It’s cruel . I’m amazed they didn’t have a heart attack when your husband put them in the water . Be a mother , protect your child and get them some professional therapy . You wouldn’t go into a room full of spiders if you were terrified of them yet you’re expecting your child to confront his fear head on :rage: