What can I do if I don't like my daughters new friend?

You’re a good mom and have a really good daughter. Try switching classes if needed, or just tell your daughter to stay away from the girl so much

1 Like

She obviously doesn’t feel ‘loved’ or that 'she can talk to you about anything. There’s clearly an issue with your relationship that you’re deflecting the blame onto her friend.

10 Likes

I would talk to your daughter’s friend directly, in private. I would let her know that she is welcome in my home, and also that there are rules that need to be followed: No foul language, include siblings, etc. Tell her that you care, invite her for dinner, make her feel welcome. In time, hopefully, she will trust you and open up. You could make a real difference in this person’s life. This child is crying out for help, and you could be the one the Universe chose.

24 Likes

As a child who was very troubled but was actually the “good” kid out of my friends i will tell you this as I was told growing up by the man who raised me.

1. Friends are never responsible your anothers behavior…
  2. You know the rules and if you break them it’s on you.
  3. Just like some friends can be bad “influences” friends can also be good “influences”.
  4. You can always say NO or come home
  5. If friends are at my house and they disrespect anyone in my home they will be banned for a couple days and then we can try again.

While new issues do arise when children get a little older and make more “friends” sometimes we try and mimic them so we fit in…or see if the behavior works for them as well. I would definitely try and have a talk with the mom, then talk to your daughter and her friend together and lay down some rules. Honestly the not smiling and not making direct eye contact could be a sign of autism…

11 Likes

How about including this girl in family activities so she isn’t alone with your daughter. Give the girl some love & lots of motherly advice. Sounds like she’s not getting mothered at home. Give her hugs, have the girls help you around the house, do planned activities vs. free time. Take everyone to the pool or playground or for a walk in the park or to a free outdoor concert or whatever.

Tell the school to keep an eye out for the girl—sounds like she could use help.

And don’t worry, at this age friends come and go quickly. And like another mom said, be the bad guy: she’s not feeling well, I need to have her at home today, you can’t play today, she has to do her chores…whatever to be her excuse not to hang with the girl.

11 Likes

Request a change of class first thing.

1 Like

I don’t understand how a 10 year old can groom a 10 year old. If she causes problems at your house then don’t allow her over anymore. You can’t really control if she hangs out with her at school, but you can at least make sure that she isn’t at your house causing problems between your daughter and her siblings.

9 Likes

I had a friend like that growing up the more my parents pushed me to unfriend her the harder i clung to her. I eventually figured out the hard way they were right but im very hardheaded and had to find out for myself. She’s passed away now. I would talk to the teacher and let her know to keep them as apart as can be. Try talking to her mom and her help her feel like she has a safe place and an adult who cares keep talking to your daughter make sure she knows she is loved and what you expect of her attitude and behavior wise.

3 Likes

This sounds like the plot of the movie thirteen. Maybe the girl is struggling at home

4 Likes

I have 5 boys and my husband and I have worked really hard to provide them an environment where we have no secrets, my kids don’t get in trouble for doing stupid shit-we talk it through and help them come up with solutions on how to fix it, etc. That being said, not many other kids around us have the same relationship with their parents. I can’t tell you how many “lost” children have found amity in our home. They struggle with how honest my kids are and they are surprised to learn that we don’t fly off the handle. I’ve built friendships with my children’s friends and let them know that before they do something stupid, I’ve always got a place at my table and time for them to bend my ear, regardless of what it is. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had one of these kids come knock on my door with tears in their eyes at 10 pm because they have no one that they trust to talk and they feel lost, broken, etc. Most parents would have turned these kids away because because they are “bad” kids, their home life is different, maybe it’s a household where both parents are working all the time at the end of the day they aren’t really bad kids. sometimes they just need to be seen and heard. Parents do the best job they can, or at least they try to but sometimes everyone needs a little bit of help. If your daughter doesn’t want to be her friend, there’s nothing wrong with it, but if she want’s to try it, maybe instead of following the other girls lead, your daughter can stand up and be a little stronger and just tell her, no-we don’t do that here followed by including her on how your family does things. Sometimes, showing them a different route is more beneficial in the long run. Good Luck mama you got this.

1 Like

Get her in a different school. Even if you could get your daughter’s class changed, the girl will see her in the halls, lunchroom etc.

2 Likes

Love that that your daughter has you . I was the other kid single parent my mom worked at least 2 jobs . I learned quickly what other kids didn’t learn till adulthood or hopefully never learned the way I did. With that said I would say encourage your daughter to invite her over. Have heart to heart talks with her about rules and how you treat each other in your house. Do not over do maybe ask questions about her house. Then tell her you don’t do that here and why. Maybe let her and your daughter cook a meal with your supervision. There is so much I had to learn on my own .

5 Likes

Ask to have a different classroom, and don’t allow the friendship to continue.

Set clear boundaries and rules, when the friend is at your home clearly communicate house rules to her and your daughter when they are together. There is a huge chance that at this age they will move on to other friendships and groups. Love and consistant parenting behaviors will get you through a lot of stages/trials moving forward.

I overheard a teacher talking with a young boy who had been befriended by a new student. That student, she told the boy, came from a very troubled family home, in a violent, drug infested neighborhood. The teacher than told the boy that he comes from a good home and should not be following that boy’s example. Instead he should be a good friend and try to bring the boy up to his level, and encouraged to lead by example. Soon after, the troubled boy dropped the boy being spoken to, because he couldn’t manipulate that boy anymore. Sadly, that troubled boy is now in prison.

3 Likes

I can tell you force creates resistance. You can not force your daughter to not talk to her anymore. I mean you can but it wouldn’t end well. I would ask my daughter if she wanted to move schools or be homeschooled…

*Change her classes
*Have her hang with her other friends more then the other girl
*Have her do things with her siblings she likes

• tell her a life lesson of being like that towards people and family
1 Like

Cut the friendship off and take away her phone. She is obviously not using it responsibly. Make her earn it back through chores and positive attitude.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t allow this girl back at my home or around my child period :bangbang:

3 Likes

Remember the old saying - judged by the company you keep - sounds like your daughter is trying to be like her friend. She probably sees being home alone being able to do what she wants - sounds cool to a kid - as far as language- school is where they learn that - But nonetheless house rules are family rules-
You might add to your rules no bad language are family, on phone and or texts - no matter who they are with.
Now as far as grooming for possibly a different lifestyle- no I wouldn’t think at that age - but that would depend on the “friends” home environment. But sweetie- you keep acting on your Momma gut and you’ll be okay. Sounds to me you are great parent and you got this young one.

10 is when they start to change. She’s most likely been using bad language with all her friends in person but is only doing it online with this one. At 10 my sister and Cousin no longer wanted me around because I was the baby, so I know how your other kids feel but that’s just how older kids are to younger siblings sometimes, not saying it’s right but that’s just how they feel. I hated when my parents were always hovering over me and not giving me a chance to find myself and always guiding me in there way of being, not saying it’s bad to be involved but kids need space to grow into there own. Instead of not letting them be friends, because let’s face it they will be friends weather you like it or not, include the friend in things you guys do together as a family so she can see how your family interacts with each other. This girl may have it hard at home and doesn’t know what a close family looks and feels like. There’s probably a lot more to the situation then you know.

3 Likes

Keep tuned in, it’s not to late. Move her to another classroom, insist!

2 Likes

Change class, and I would talk to this girl or get to know her mom.

it’s easy for us to blame other people when we see behaviors we don’t like in our children. But our choices belong to us & we don’t encourage responsibility by suggesting anyone else is responsible for their behavior. Engage with your daughter. Find out why she is unhappy, and let her bare the burden of her choices. Not sure why a ten year old has a phone and certainly can’t imagine a ten year old grooming another ten year old. Time to dig deep with your child and live her thru the fun years of puberty.

4 Likes

You become what you hangout with. You hangout with successful ppl, 98% of the time you will become successful. Hangout with ppl with no ambition etc, 98% you will become them. Choose who you allow your child around wisely.

2 Likes

Request the other child be put in a different class due to conflict between the two girls, and if you have to explain to the school what’s happened do it and they have to move her, but also just keep talking to your daughter and and letting her know who is BADD and she will not only love you more for trying to keep your loving family together but she’ll appreciate you keeping the badd and drama away also, and you need to take this stuff to the child’s parent also and say hey this is a problem we don’t do this or act this wayy at my house and I don’t want your child influencing my daughter to act this wayy, so please correct the behavior and keep your child away from mine if the parent won’t correct the issue at hand!!! Just my opinion and what I would do!!!

2 Likes

Involve the girls parent and have a discussion with both the girls. Be open and honest. Let her “friend” know that you don’t appreciate her trying to influence your daughter to turn against you.

14 Likes

Change classes and don’t allow her to be around your daughter at home

2 Likes

Try talking to her about being a good friend and say no at the same the time.
Maybe talk too the parent as well let it be know what she was saying to you’re daughter.

My opinion may be different but I raised very strong willed kids who were not followers in any way. I never held other children at fault or considered them to be the reason for negative behavior. IMO, is you make it more about the friend than your own child you are somewhat justifying it. I taught my kids to listen to me and that I wasn’t responsible for other children’s behavior. I also expected visitors to follow the same rules if they wished to return.

10 Likes

Call me old fashioned…but why is she online at 10 years old???

8 Likes

A 10 year old girl can not “groom” another 10 year old girl. Grooming is something done by adults who have intentions manipulating and sexaully assaulting minors.

9 Likes

It has nothing to do with them been a single parent household thats shocking to say im a single mum to 4 kids who are nothing like that trust me my kids arent perfect and have done things they shouldn’t has does all kids at some point we learn from our mistakes that poor girls mum might not be to blame i have just started working again in the last month and have no choice but to leave my kids alone the oldest is 17 and looks after her younger siblings for me trying to split them up will only push them closer and push ur daughter away from experience with my eldest the only thing u can do is be there for em and keep the bond u have where she can talk to u with my daughter we have always had a safe word and if she starts the sentance with that word i cant lose it i have to listen and shes told me a lot of stuff our bond is still really good for this reason she told me when she lost her virginity shes told me when shes come in drunk and shes told me when she tried canabis we just talk it through rather than me screaming and shouting at her

7 Likes

Ok I couldn’t keep reading once you kept bringing up single households and you saying there’s ALWAYS a parent home at my house blah blah blah … must be nice! I was never allowed that luxury and neither was my daughter

9 Likes

This is a difficult situation. Obviously this girl has issues, yeah you could just make your daughter cut ties & change her class etc but in all honesty if she really wants to be friends with her she will even if it’s behind your back. The girl is only 10yrs old & sounds like she doesn’t live in a happy home, so maybe instead of treating her like she’s some kind of threat maybe try talking to her. Try being friendly & getting to know her. Maybe be a better influence to her than what she has at home, taking her friend from her is only going to damage her worse. It takes a village but you do whatever you think is best, it was just a suggestion.

9 Likes

Maybe the other child only knows negativity at home? Have you tried getting to know her? Show interest?

5 Likes

She’s 10, keep her off computers and phones and tell her hanging with that girls not going to happen anymore ever again.

5 Likes

Seperate them now before she coerces your kid into doing some real shady stuff.

3 Likes

Switch her to another class

4 Likes

I say as long as ur kids grades are good u raised a smart person to do the right thing

2 Likes

Hmm you can’t just blame this other child saying she is the problem and that’s why your daughter is acting out, she could be a symptom too why she’s acting out but not the whole reason, it’s a weird time going from preteen too teen and also calls for testing the waters and pushing boundaries. Either way if she wants to be friends with this girl she will be, so you rather than trying to control it have some helpful rules and set boundaries in place and make them known, and having a single parent household has nothing to do with this child’s problems if she even has any. Just be there for your daughter and keep explaining that her behaviour isn’t right and come up with punishments if it continues rather than blaming someone else for it.

4 Likes

Have the school split them up

1 Like

I would try m get my daughter moved out of the same classes.

4 Likes

Change classes and get rid of the phone. A 10 year old does not need a phone.

18 Likes

Have you talked to the other girls parent? Definitely see if you can get her in another class too and definitely no more phone for awhile.

4 Likes

Forcing your daughter to cut ties has the potential to create resentment. You should also consider that the friend may not have a good home life. While it’s not your job, a little guidance could go a long way. Side note as well, don’t ignore your daughter’s feelings about her home life. Dismissing it the way you seem to be doing is not gonna fix it. Talk to her and figure out what is making her feel that way.

5 Likes

Um she’s 10, unless the kid is coming from a severely disfunctional home, I don’t think there’s grooming happening.
Also what does it matter she’s from a single parent home, that has nothing to do with whatever is happening. You sound really judgemental tbh.

7 Likes

I would invite the girl to hangout with the family. Not for play dates where they go off alone. Maybe a time when she goes to do something special with the whole family, and try to get to know her and make her feel part of your unit. She may not know how to do this.

8 Likes

Could she be grooming your 10 year old child? YES. I work in this field. And it happens. Even if it’s not she doesn’t need to hanging out with someone who is making it a point of conversation to say crap about her own family.

4 Likes

It sounds like your daughter genuinely likes and wants to be friends with this girl and tries to act and make it seem like they have similar situations and thoughts, because otherwise the girl wouldn’t want to be friends. She just wants to be accepted like all kids do. Just lay down some boundaries about how you expect her to behave when the girl is over and in general. And I agree with some of the other comments, it may be true this child has a rough home life but you shouldn’t blame that on it being a single parent household.

3 Likes

If your child has admitted that she has been bad. That means she has a conscious ,this other girl doesn’t. She sounds like a sociopath. Your daughter is picking up on this. Otherwise she wouldn’t admit she knows she’s a bad influence. Ask her why she hangs with her if she knows this. Let her know the girl is dangerous. If you tell her she is off limits she will continue to see her without you knowing. She’s young enough to teach her the wrong people to befriend and she’s smart to see the difference. Let her know you think she is smart enough as well. Talk to her more have a good communication btw you or in her teens it could be worse. God bless. My daughter would write to me sometimes if we got into an argument. It helped so we didn’t yell at each other and it was good to see it on paper to navigate thru our miscommunication.

3 Likes

Talk to the school and have your daughters class changed, the friend sounds like an “older” 10 year old. It’s not up to you to "parent this kid.

3 Likes

Cut her off and ban her from hanging out with her.

1 Like

You have every right to call the school and get her switched out of that class. I’d be doing that immediately. Then I would block the girl on all messaging. This is a very serious issue that needs to be handled with directness. I’d contact that girls mother as well and explain the situation and let her know that your child will no longer be friends with yours. Explain the issue you are having in a calm manner to the Mom. Tell the school. When my daughter was in 6th grade, these girls (not my daughter, but her friend) had a suicide pack. One girl didn’t make it. You just never know. I wish you all the luck and I hope you let us know how it turns out.

7 Likes

If it was me I’d ask the school to switch to another class :+1:

2 Likes

I am a single mom and would not give my kids any excuse to act that way. I would immediately ask for my daughters class to be changed explain the situation to the school and keep them apart as much as you can while you still have control!

7 Likes

My niece had something similar happen to her, my sister had to cut ties and not let my niece hang with the girl anymore. My niece began to get distant and depressed. Since cutting ties, my niece has ventured back out and finally getting back to her usual. Going to school in general, being around other kids who influence, I feel kids change anyways. I know my 3 older girls have changed significantly being in school. Good or bad, we all go through change. My girls all are 13,12, & 11 and they all go through spurts where they can’t stand their siblings. Do I like it? No if we had it my way, we all would get along and love eachother, but that isn’t how it always works out.

I wanna lead by saying I do not have a 10 year old. But I think the idea of running and hiding isn’t the solution. This is a teachable moment. This is not the first or last bad influence she will have. This is an opportunity to teach her to be secure in who she is notwithstanding who is doing what around her. I run into this with my daughter (6) and even though I don’t encourage the interaction (ie play dates) I don’t ostracize her from the person (ie switching classes). Work through the relationship with her. Encourage a strong sense of self. It seems like ur willing to have these reflective conversations as it stands. Banning her will encourage secrecy. U want her to discuss the relationship with u so u can coach her through it.

8 Likes

Take the phone away to young

4 Likes

I would talk 2 the school and let them know the situation and see if I would be able 2 put her in a different class

2 Likes

Talk to the school about changing classes. Start becoming unavailable for the kid switch up what your doing bring your kid elsewhere. Avoid them they’ll go find friends more like who they are.
But have a convo with single mom. Bet she doesn’t know what her kiddos been up too. …hopefully she can find ways to resolve any issues going on w friend

1 Like

Speak to the principal and school counselor. Have your daughter placed in the other 5th grade class if they have one. Or u might have to change schools.

I would try to give some guidance to this little girl, maybe there’s a reason. I was considered a bad influence growing up, because my home life, wasn’t as perfect as it seemed ( not going into detail) but my acting out, was a cry for help! Maybe your daughter can change things and be the good influence, this girl may need! Encourage your daughter to show this girl the right way! And maybe set a good example for her! Encourage more time and your house to watch over them, and encourage them being nicer to the other children, this girl may lack structure. Just because things aren’t the greatest now, doesn’t mean it can’t change. They are kids, encourage, kids being kids!

3 Likes

I would definitely switch classes.
Furthermore I won’t allow her to use a cellphone. If she has a cellphone for emergencies, i will provide her with a cheap cellphone that can only make phonecalls. She’s too young for a cellphone.
I will also not allow her to go visit friends where there’s no parent present. They can have their time at my home then. And i will not allow them to be behind a closed door (Any friends for that matter not just the one in question)

2 Likes

hen my son was this age, he had a friend that used bad language, had an attitude and spoke badly to his mother. My son’s behaviour started to slip and I told him he needed to be stronger and reflect how he was raised or they wouldn’t be able to chum together. He asked why I was blaming the other boy and I assured him I was not. I was blaming my son for not standing his ground and being a better role model. Problem solved.

10 Likes

Definitely change the class, and see if you can arrange a meeting with the friend’s parents to straighten your worries out, best of luck to you and those children… all that is involved :heart:

2 Likes

Cut it OFF and get her AWAY. Then address why she was interested in the dysfunctional aspects of things in the first place i.e. feeling like she needs to pretend her home life is bad etc

3 Likes

Yeah cut her off! your daughter will have a new best friend in no time. I have a 10 year old so I can def say I know what I’d be doing. & I don’t think your daughter is lesbian I think this other kid is making her think that way or your daughter is just going along with it, I think a lot of young ones these days are Gay because it’s also popular now., I’d be asking my child if she has tried doing anything rude with her. Just because they seem to be getting pretty serious for 10 y o. And maybe even see about her being in a different class if your that concerned.

1 Like

Sounds like the movie 13

I would be changing her class ASAP

2 Likes

I honestly think that the girl not wanting the siblings around could be that maybe she is in charge of watching children at her house? But who knows and I think that you are right and being worried. I would see if you could change her class at school oh, this is something I had to do with my son to get him away from a boy that was a distraction because they would always talk to each other and splitting them up never worked well so I just put him in another class. I would not allow her to communicate with her on the phone and would block the girls number from the phone oh, and I certainly wouldn’t allow them to be around each other outside of school oh, that is the best advice I can really come up with for the situation and I commend you for paying attention and seeing the red flags

Definitely have her switched to a different class and cut all ties. You definitely do not want her influencing your daughter at such a impressionable age.

5 Likes

Switch class :v:t2: your child is your priority. :heart:

6 Likes

I would also talk to this girl’s mother if she is approachable. I I know from experience that not all parents are approachable so I do understand if you don’t go to her mother but I would absolutely try

4 Likes

OK So my phone is about to blow up with hate comments, but I’m just going to tell you how I honestly feel in this situation…. I don’t think your daughter is a bad kid and I don’t think her new friend is a bad kid either…. I think they like each other‘s lives and they are just trying to fit in to make each other like them… your daughter might think her life is so cool cause no parent supervision and her friend is probably soaking up the attention that your daughter is giving to her. Your daughter is probably the only kid that has befriended her and finds her interesting and this girl is probably overwhelmed with excitement that your daughter likes her. Anyway keep talking to your daughter about right and wrong.
I love how you asked your daughter how would she feel if one of her siblings said that about her. That was a good example… I think they are just trying to mirror each other. I think maybe the friend feels awkward that you are around and doesn’t know how to behave…. Ask her friend to come over and treat both of the girls for some ice cream…. Maybe get involved. Have the girls paint nails and supply them with popcorn…. Do silly kid things… but at least TRY to show your daughter that you are trying…. Let this girl get to see how great having a family really is… maybe your love and acceptance is really what this child needs….

19 Likes

Then she could just find snother friend in snother class you need to get your dsughter in check at ten years old it will just progress but as far as this new friend yeah thsts a no more outside of school situation

I would be contacting my daughter’s school and speaking to someone to get my daughter out of the classroom with this other girl. The friend is bad news! Big hug from me to you momma :heart: Don’t lay down on this matter!

3 Likes

I don’t understand what you meant by “grooming” isn’t that a term more so used with adults towards children?? Anyway give the girl a chance but continue talking to your daughter and closely monitor the situation… I think if you switch her class it could actually make things very uncomfortable for your daughter and this other little girl at school…

1 Like

Ever heard that little old anecdote about the wet paint sign. Human nature dictates that if you put a wet paint sign on a park bench, 97% of people will touch it just to check. It’s almost a compulsion.

In other words, telling your daughter she can’t be friends with that girl, will only drive her to continue contact.

Why not look at it as an education moment, a lesson in compassion and maybe you could be a positive influence in that girl’s life? I’m sure she already receive enough negative attention in her life, why not wrap her in love and acceptance and facilitate behavioural change through tolerance and care.

5 Likes

The girl may have anxiety and doesn’t smile etc because of it. She comes from a very different family then yours.

A lot of kids start acting like this at their age. She’s just trying to fit in with the kid.

Remind her how she’s acting isn’t nice. She’s being mean to her siblings and that’s bully behaviour. Don’t allow her to be home alone with this girl at the girls home. They’re ten? That’s illegal where I’m from not sure about where the OP is from. If she continues to behave like that then you need to address this further and not allow them to socialize out of school

I’d switch my daughters class at the very least. And she’d be done talking to that girl

1 Like

Get help for her friend. Baby girl needs it.

2 Likes

I would see if moving her to another classroom is an option. I have been in that situation as your daughter before when I was in 6th grade. I was raised by just my dad. He highly encouraged me to find other friends. Im glad I ended up doing so. None of those girls ended up being good influences. I wish you luck! It’s a hard situation. Try to show her what a real friend looks like and what a bad one looks like. Maybe that will help too?

Have the school switch her class

2 Likes

I just wany to say GO MOMMA!
I cried reading this. I also met a girl at 11 JUST LIKE THIS. Only my parents didn’t care. I turned down a very hard and dark road thanks to the bad influence friend and I would have given ANYTHING for my parents to step in. Get her away from that girl ASAP. Switch her class of you must!

10 Likes

GET HER AWAY FROM THAT CHILD AND CALL THAT CHILDS PARENTS AND TELL THEM TO KEEP THEIR CHILD AWAY FROM YOURS . This will ensure she avoids your child - then have the school move them to different classes
Also HOLD your child responsible with punishment for lying about yall

3 Likes

Please put some responsibility on your child also…you can’t make some do something she doesn’t want to do….but Have a talk with both kids together abt this situation and have one with the other parent. Also this is not because of a single household

5 Likes

I would request your daughter be moved to a different class.

1 Like

Switch her class and dont allow the friendship anymore. You’re her mom, not her friend so you’ll have to do things that she will be pissed at you for a while about but she will get over it eventually.

1 Like

Obviously this girl is around the same age as your daughter an doesn’t have the luxury your daughter has in her home life, maybe try to include her in your family like family dinners or little family trips that you all do, an treat her as you would your own kids, while she’s in your house. Have a talk with her an let her know what your rules are for while she is in your home an what kind of punishment she will have for breaking the rules from how it sounds your not sure of her home life other then they left alone most of the time maybe she don’t feel loved at home an being included in your family might be what she needs in her life, you never know how much just that lil bit could change that lil girls whole life

5 Likes

At ten years old I don’t think they need boyfriends. I would contact the school and have them separated. The friend is bad news! Plus, you don’t know what this little friend knows or has done. Especially if she is alone at home a lot. I definitely would not allow my daughter to go to her friends house. If you are going to allow their friendship to continue you need to meet the friend’s mother and find out what kind of person she is. I never allowed my children to go to anyone’s house without knowing the parents. Boyfriends should be the last thing on a ten year olds mind. I wish you all the best for the future. God bless you

1 Like

She probably has a mental disorder, I’m autistic and parents constantly turned my friends against me by convincing me I’m weird. Definitely talk to the school and see if they could have a counselor speak to her :heart: ps let the school mnow about the inappropriate messages

1 Like

If that were my child she would get her mouth smacked for being rude and mean to you and others and for the bad language. Grounded for a month, I would talk to that new friend’s parents and tell them that she is not allowed back at the house until she has respect for the home and your family. I don’t allow bullies in my home nor bad kids around my children.

Do what is best for your child , switch classes and discourage interaction with this girl. Sounds like the other girl’s environment may not be good. Seperate classrooms will naturally encourage them to choose friends from their class.

Switching her class isn’t going to do much of anything sorry. They still may have lunch, recess and etc together. If the other girl is always alone bring up the concerns to a teacher,principal or better yet a school counselor. If not then call CPS to do a welfare check at her home. She could be getting abused or something at home. I was an odd sort of kid. I didn’t smile much, wouldn’t make eye contact with adults especially men, wanted to run away and the list keeps going and yeah parents would tell their kids the same that I’m a bad kid and etc. In reality I was just being abused at home and of course no one bothered to check. Of course always keep your child’s safety first but definitely try to find out about the welfare of the other child please .

5 Likes

Maybe try to engage with the girls more. If she’s having a bad homelife then show her what a good home life can be like. I gre up in a single household with mom always working. I went to friend house not to feel alone. Seems like she’s acting out qmd your daughter amd you are the only 2 paying attention. Include her. Make her feel worth it. Changing her behavior amd showing her how to love will not only benefit her but you and your daughter bringing everyone closer. Good luck

1 Like

Just because YOU think your child has a good/easy life that is completely irrelevant to how your daughter may feel
At 10 it is perfectly normal for them to want to hangout together without the younger siblings especially with puberty going on
The ONLY concerning thing is the running away part, you need to figure out WHY your daughter wants to leave and not just blame the friend
Chances are you daughter is unhappy and this friend is someone she feels comfortable opening up to

6 Likes

I wouldn’t allow my child to be friends with some one who is like that. When my kids turn 18 they can have friends like that if they want to because they will be adults by then.

2 Likes

If I could tell you how much my daugbters frieNds tore up her good nature I woukd. It is immesurable. All the alone time is where it happened. get rid if all social contact with the gurl abd flat out tell the gurls mom why you wont allow her over. Remove online use from your daughter.

3 Likes

I would sit both girls down and talk to them both about what is acceptable behaviour in ur household and nastiness won’t be tolerated at all. Also let them know that u r aware about them wanting to run away. They are 10, not 14-15. If it continues mayb have a chat with the girls Mum and if that doesn’t help I would ask to have ur daughters class changed and stop the other girl coming to ur house … good luck :rofl: girls from about 10-16 are horrible :sweat_smile: hormonal, moody, nasty mouthed little witches :grimacing: (Mum of 7 here - 3 girls, 4 boys):sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

This is nothing to do with being a single parent family! I’m a single mum and my children would never act like this! I’ve told my daughter a few times that I don’t like her mates attitudes and I think that she’s best to stay away keep them at arms length!! Try move your daughters class!!

3 Likes