What causes gallbladder problems during pregnancy?

Has anyone had gallbladder issues during pregnancy? My Dr. told me I have gallstones and wanted some additional advice from mamas who’ve had the same issue

4 Likes

I had them when I was pregnant. It sucked. I had many attacks and they wouldn’t remove it because of how pregnant I was. Once I had my baby they took out my gallbladder shortly after.

1 Like

My doctor told me it was due to everything being pushed up. I almost died. It was not a good time. I could even smell food for 5 days. I was on a floor that they made sure no one was next to either room to avoid me even smelling it. I had pancreatitis as well. They thought it would be too dangerous to do while pregnant so I had to change my diet. My problems went away after never got it removed like I was supposed to

1 Like

I had mine removed at 27 weeks pregnant… Not sure what caused it but its quite common…

1 Like

Looord Jesus I did. Had to have EMERGENCY surgery when my baby was 3 weeks old. The attacks are awful. So painful and I thought I was having a heart attack

3 Likes

I’m having mine removed Friday! I’ve had attacks with both pregnancies and I’ve been miserable since I had my son two months ago. Get that bad boy out the second you can!

3 Likes

Had gallstones weeks after having my second son and had gallbladder removed z

I had it horrible. I had to sleep with multiple pillows elevated on the couch. They said If it didn’t go away after birth I would need to have my gallbladder removed. Luckily it went away after my son was born.

I had to have mine removed a month after I gave birth. It’s extremely common from what I was told.

1 Like

I got gallstones after I gave birth… just been hanging out with them for about 10 years now. I just stay away from greasy foods for the most part & if it starts hurting I drink a ton of water.

I had issues almost immediately after having my first child. It’s awful!

I got gallstones after my first pregnancy took a year for them to figure out why I was in so much pain. Ended up getting my gallbladder removed. Until you can get it removed you’ve just gotta stay away from super greasy food and drink tons of water. If the pain gets too bad definitely see your Dr :slight_smile:

I had my gall bladder removed within 6 months of giving birth. I had a nurse tell me…
Have a baby, have a gallbladder.

I had mine removed when I was 25 weeks because anything and everything I ate would cause my gallbladder attacks, I tried my best to eat low fat yogurts , drink a lot of water , any food low fat it worked for a bit then made everything worse

I had gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. I started to have extreme gallbladder attacks, luckily I was able to get it removed because I was still in the 2nd trimester, definitely keep an eye on all the symptoms because it can get dangerous.

Yes I had to get my gallbladder taken out right after I had my baby! Worst pain I’ve ever felt having gallbladder attacks!! It feels so much better having it out.

I had my gallbladder out a few months after I had my son. My surgeon said pregnancy doesn’t cause gallstones it just makes it more likely you will have symptoms from it. Lots of people have gallstones but if they have no symptoms it’s not a problem. While I was waiting for my surgery I was put on a very strict diet. No meats (besides turkey), no dairy, no chocolate, no caffeine and only things very low in fat and cholesterol. And even then you can have an attack, this just helps prevent one. They say if your attack lasts longer than 12 hours to go to the er because a stone could have moved to your pancreas I believe and that’s life threatening.

If u have stones it will need to be removed. I had mine a month after my son was born… it’s was worst then giving birth :rofl:

It’s common I had issues with my gallbladder for years finally 11 days after my daughter was born the pain would not go away. Woke me up from a dead sleep at 4:30 I had it removed

I had problems starting around 36 weeks. I took lansoprazole every night until I gave birth to help with the sever pain I was feeling. After I gave birth I felt great!.. for 2 weeks. Then the pain came 10 fold as before. I went to the hospital and they admitted me for 3 days. 2 of those I was put on a clear liquid diet then the 3rd day I had it removed.
I feel great now, except I have to watch greasy foods and certain vegetables which cause some abdominal pain and bowel issues. (Way more tolerable than the gallbladder pain)
I thought the gallbladder attacks were 100x worse than an all natural labor :woozy_face:

I was hospitalized for a kidney infection with my last pregnancy and they told me I had gallstones but because they weren’t moving they weren’t going to mess with it. About 2 weeks after having my son in January I started having attacks where I was screaming in pain, very nauseated and a headache, sweating so bad and getting chills as well. I had an ultrasound in the ER and they didn’t do an emergency surgery but I scheduled it and had it done last week. I’m back at work and I feel so much better all together! They told my boyfriend when I was in recovery that they were surprised I wasn’t worse off than I was because my gallbladder was so inflamed and basically useless, they said the baby did a number on it. It was just odd to me that I never had issues during my first pregnancy or after, just this one.

Had mine removed 5 weeks after I gave birth.

Hurts like a bitch. Had to have it removed after giving birth.

I had my gall bladder removed as an emergency surgery 2 months after giving birth. I felt like I couldn’t breathe then I passed out. Lucky for me my mom had just taken the daughter from my arms.

Dont eat anything spicy or tomatoes

I was told it was quite common to need gallbladder surgery after pregnancy. I was pretty much told the gallbladder is just one of those organs we as a species doesn’t really need like our tonsils, since our livers make the bile the gallbladder is just a extra place its stored and we just can over produce causing stones. I didnt believe it was that common until I had mine removed and found out almost every mother I talked to had theirs out as well. My cousin who is was on her 2nd baby finally had hers out not too long ago. Advice, stay away from everything they are warning you about, the greasy foods, fast foods, chips, anything acidic like tomato products, but also lettuce. Lettuce is a ruffage and its hard for our stomachs to digest. I had mine out after my 4th child.

I was in the worst pain of my life. Within 6 weeks of having my son i had to have mine removed. I was in so much pain the day i finally had it removed on the way to the hospital i was banging my head agaist the window and almost jumped out of the car. I remember screaming in pain and then waking up 3 days later in a different hospital bc i had stones in my bile ducts. I apologized to the hospital staff later. Im normally a very polite person😳. Idk what causes it but i wouldn’t wish that pain on my worst enemy

I got gallstones when I was 23 weeks pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I had to wait til I had her to have it removed.

I had awful gallbladder problems while pregnant and finally had to have it removed after having my babies.

Yes!!! I was sick my ENTIRE pregnancy with them and we didnt find out until my son was a month old!!! I still can’t believe no one caught it, they would be like “Oh you should have stopped throwing up by now” or “Oh it’s just pregnancy aches…” it was 4 huge gallstones!!! You want to avoid anything fatty or dairy. Do your best to just have fruits, vegetables and water. It will make the pain go away. Feel free to message me anytime!! Hang in there Momma!

I started having gallbladder attacks a few weeks after I had my baby. I asked my OB about it at my follow up and they thought it was gas. I did looked into my symptoms online and thought it was my gallbladder, so my PCP ordered an ultrasound. It was my gallbladder, and I had it removed. At the surgeon’s office for my pre-surgery consult the nurse said they see postpartum women often. Something about pregnancy hormones they said can cause it.

About a month after having twins I felt like I was having a heart attack. It was so bad I went to the er. They doctor talked about an ultrasound and I was so confused. Im like no, no there is definitely not a baby lol. He’s like no I’m looking at your gallbladder. My what??? Turns out with very little room in there with the twins my junk that passes through the gallbladder turned into one big giant rock and it was broke. I was told that they should have noticed that when I had my c-section for the twins, but unfortunately someone didn’t do their job, and I was headed to emergency surgery.

Yep. Started having gallstone attacks and just assumed it was pregnancy pains. Got my gallbladder removed a.month after giving birth. I did have a lot of dairy during pregnancy and read that causes it sometimes. Who knows though.

I had a gallbladder attack about 2 months before due date. Was hospitalized and put on steroids. They ended up taking her 3 weeks early.

I had symptoms of gallstones right after i gave birth, had them removed 5 weeks later with other complications due to them… i read that it can be caused by all the hormonal imbalance…

Had to have my gallbladder removed in October my daughter was 10 months old. I honestly dont know why or how pregnancy effects it but i didnt have any problems with my gallbladder until after i had my baby

Had my first gallbladder attack with my first. Had to severely limit my saturated fat intake and avoid acidic foods. Had it taken out after my 2nd, 30 years ago.

I got gallstones during pregnancy and thought it was just horrible heartburn. It didn’t go away after having her and it ended up getting so bad I went to the hospital when she was around 6 months. It took going in 3 times for them to find the gallstones and admit me. They kept accusing me of drug seeking :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I had gallstones while pregnant, and i just couldn’t have things with a lot of fat. I also had gestational diabetes though so I couldn’t have hardly any carbs either :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: but i had my gallbladder taken out a month after having my daughter, because it continued causing me a lot of pain and i was constantly going to the hospital. After having it taken out, you will NEED to have someone taking care of baby for the first few days. I couldn’t even use the bathroom by myself or sit up by myself for atleast 3 days.

I had it only with baby 2. Gallstones- broken up with meds (I dont remember which…) and simply peed out. No biggie.

I found out 5 months after my son was born that I needed my gallbladder removed due to gallstones. They aren’t doing surgery right now because of Covid though. I’ve been waiting since February. :confused: I’ve had to be VERY careful what I eat or I end up in pain worse than when I had my kid.

Kailee Roche…beg to differ. What you had was probably kidney stones as the gallbladder has absolutely nothing to do with the urinary tract and gallstone cannot be peed out.

My older sister had them with both of her kids. From what I understand it’s caused from eating greasy foods. My sister ended up get her gallbladder romoved after her second kid.

Yes! I had mine out at 10 weeks postpartum. It caused horrible pain during pregnancy. The doctor told me that many women who have really bad reflux have gallbladder issues.

I had mine removed when my baby was 5 months old. Started after his birth. My OB said happens a lot. Had co worker same thing

My daughter had hers out when she was 19 weeks pregnant.

High levels of estrogen can cause it. Birth control caused me to have gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed because of it.

1 Like

My daughter is pregnant and they had to remove her gallbladder a few months ago

I had gallstones and knew nothing about them until 3 months after giving birth. I had to have my gallbladder removed because I was poisoning myself.

I did. I hurt so much during my pregnancy, but I didnt know what it was. I went to the ER when my son was 3 days old and had my gallbladder out when he was a week old. The ER Dr said they had more post partum women come in with gallbladder problems than anyone else.

I had my gallbladder removed at 17 weeks pregnant. I had been sick for weeks. High levels of estrogen and major hormone shifts!

Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy

It’s actually more common than you’d think! Hormone shifts (and sometimes diet) causes this. We have to take out a lot of gallbladders in postpartum women.

With my first pregnancy my gallbladder went bad quickly and unfortunately I had to have it removed while being like 7 Mos pregnant. But if you can try to keep it, your digestion changes so much without it.

I had a bunch of issues with my gallbladder, I had to be induced and I got it removed.

I had my 2 boys back to back ( I got pregnant with my second son when my first son was 3 months old) I started having this bad pain right after my first son was born and I continued to have it off and on, I had no idea what it was until I was in my third trimester with my second son I found out I had gallstones but because I was so far along in my pregnancy they couldn’t do anything at the time except give me pain medication every time I needed it until I delivered. So six weeks after my last minute, unexpected, C-section I had to go to the hospital because I was in so much pain from the gallstones again so they decided to admit me for a few days to remove my gallbladder, I had a one-year-old and a six-week-old baby at home, I was devastated to be away from them but that gallbladder had to go!! And I’ll be honest when I say the gallbladder surgery hurt more than my C-Section surgery, and the first few days after, until all the air bubbles were out, were ROUGH but compared to the pain I was having from the gall stones it was well worth it!!

I had mine removed 2 weeks postpartum. Hormones and diet are huge causes.

I was told that high fat diets can cause gallstones and pregnancy hormones. My gallbladder attack saved my daughter’s life when I was pregnant with her. I thought i was having a heart attack and had my husband rush me to the Er and when I told them she hadn’t been moving much (long story short) needed an emergency csection with her. She had a knot in her cord and it was wrapped around her neck 3 times. They said she may not have made it 2 more days. I had another gallbladder attack a week later but they said to stay away from fatty foods and caffeine and the stones may pass. 4 yrs later and I’ve only had one small attack

I had gallstones. Funny story, went in for my pre-op blood tests for my gallbladder removal surgery, found out I was around 4months pregnant :sweat_smile:
Had to wait 6 weeks after having my daughter to get it removed bc I was a little to far along for my surgeon to do the surgery comfortably.

Fatty foods - not enough water - dark drinks - lots of stuff. Sorry. It so hurts.

I had gallstones when I was 30 weeks pregnant and because I refused surgery while pregnant they took my gallbladder out when babe was 8 weeks old

I had a gallbladder attack when I was pregnant didnt know what it was but a couple months later I had a bad attack and was in pain all day. I had never been in labor before and my husband thought I was and made me go to ER. It turned out I had gallstones and they kept me in hospital for a few days then told me I had to come back 3 days later to have my son a month early so they could take my Gallbladder out. I told them of I left I wasnt coming back until I was in labor so they kept me. Did all kinds of tests to insure the baby was ok and it was safe to have him a month early. Then they induced me, ended up doing a C section. Then next day took my gallbladder out.

1 Like

I had gallstones 3wk PP in April and had to get them removed. Due to COVID I’m having to wait to get gallbladder removed.

I had issues with my gallbladder during pregnancy, thought it was was premature labor. The squeezing felt like contractions to me… was my 1st pregnancy. Had to have it removed a few months after delivering.

I was just told it was common in young woman during pregnancy. I had my gallbladder removed 2 or so months post partum.i had a few attacks while pregnant and was told it was heartburn, I had heartburn during other pregnancies there is no comparison the attacks were so much worse. Sorry I don’t have any info as to why it’s common.

Yes I thought it was because of pregnant so I didn’t do anything for it but had surgery afterwards a lot of ladies have it it is bad.

I didnt. But my sister in law stafted having bad problems with hers during her 2nd pregnancy. She ended up having to deliever him 3 weeks early to get her gallbladder removed.

I had them with my 1st son and ended up having to have my gallbladder removed a year after he was born.