What causes toenails and fingernails to randomly fall off?

Take the children to the doctor.

5 Likes

Sounds like possibly a fungus that is killing the nails. Have you taken them to a doctor?

Idk where you are or how your system works but that kind of a question I would speak to my pharmacist which is free in Quebec and definitely reassuring or they refer you to where you need to be :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hand foot and mouth. Happened to us a few years ago

This is happening to my 2 year old. She had hfm 2 months ago.

Please take them to a doctor… I don’t know your situation, if you have insurance, etc… but even speaking to a pharmacist for free would help. There are several different things this could be, but getting them to a doctor is better than trying to guess… keep us updated

3 Likes

Hand foot mouth can cause that! My kids had it and lost some of their toenails and fingernails.

2 Likes

Not to be rude but this seems like something you should definitely be more worried about? I’m sorry if my kids toenails were falling off I’d be flying to the hospital not asking on some anon page :thinking:

My kids lost some when they had hand foot n mouth

Please talk to their pediatrician

1 Like

My 2 boys’ toenails did that, pediatrician said it was fine.
But maybe ask at their next dr appointment.

Have they recently had foot and mouth?

If they’ve recently hand foot and mouth disease then that could be the cause and not much you can do and nothing to worry about if that is the case

Not at all saying you’re a bad parent. Ok?!! But it sounds extremely like malnourishment of some kind even if it’s just something that they are not getting or getting too much of. And I don’t want to sound accusatory but it also kind of sounds like some type of poisoning. Definitely get them to the DOCTOR quickly

7 Likes

I agree I have heard hand foot and mouth causes this

First, take them to the dr… fungus is common especially if they wear shoes without socks.

I just lost 3 and got checked out… not fugus related at ALL! It was all due to stress from my divorce. I also fell asleep at the wheel because of so too at 3pm.

Get those babies checked out :black_heart:

1 Like

This happened to my kids when they had hand, foot & mouth, very common.

2 Likes

Hand foot and mouth did this to my son.

What is that? Foot & mouth?

Hand foot and mouth can cause that. Among other things. You should take the kids to a dr asap.

2 Likes

Get them to a doctor as soon as possible. Why are you even asking someone on the internet???

14 Likes

Hands foot and mouth disease caused my daughters nails and toe nails to fall off

It could be a fungal infection of the nail bed…there is an antibiotic cream that can alleviate the symptoms.

1 Like

It sounds like a nutritional issue or a fungi issue or something like that seriously take them to the doctor that’s not something I would come on Facebook about I’m not trying to be rude but Facebook doesn’t solve problems like that there’s a lot of deep issues that could cause this that only a pediatrician can solve

A nail fungal infection, or hand foot mouth can cause that.

2 Likes

Pediatrician / podiatrist / medical advise

1 Like

HFM / cockasackie virus.
The only reason I’ve seen it or heard it’s once they fall off they do regrow and are fine

Get those babies to a doctor asap! Hopefully they’ve had hand foot and mouth recently and that explains it but this is very concerning! I’d be worried about fungus at the least, malnourishment comes to mind too

2 Likes

onycholysis is the name for the condition but the cause could be anything from vitamin deficiencies to illness to poison or fungus, take them to the doctor!

3 Likes

I would definitely consult with a doctor about that.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-causes-toenails-and-fingernails-to-randomly-fall-off/11292

2 Likes

Hand foot and mouth is my first guess but that typically comes with misery in the mouth!

3 Likes

My son and I just delt with this we had a bag stomach flu, and I read it could be fungus that makes it happened. I had several toe nails and finger nails that I could literally just peel off me and my son, the slightest tug they’d peel and fall off like we were shedding. Never figured it out but they stopped and haven’t had it done since then.

1 Like

My daughter created a terrarium when she was younger and had slugs in it.
She ended up losing some fingernails due to a fungus that developed (we suspect the slugs were the culprit),and she may not have been washing her hands and under her fingernails well enough also.
Her fingernails grew back fine,but it took a while-and we went through lots and lots of Bandaids!

3 Likes

A podiatrist can most definitely help. I used to work at a podiatry and that was common (not so much in kids though so I can’t speak on that part).

2 Likes

I did nails in the state of California since 1978. I am NOT a doctor. You really need to consult your doctor. Fungus is contagious. It will spread to others. Some lie dormant and come back, spread to eyes, etc.

4 Likes

I am a Nurse Practitioner- see a medical professional!

3 Likes

Hand foot and mouth , see your pediatrician and avoid other children

take them to the doctor

3 Likes

Could be a fungal infection under the nails.

1 Like

Go to their Dr and let him/her see the nail beds. Ask questions and inform them of when it started and go from their. FB is wonderful but when it comes to a diagnosis only go with you Dr since many things look the same but get treated differently.

2 Likes

If they are putting shoes & socks on after the bath & not drying their feet properly it’s a fungus that grows in damp conditions. Their shoes need to be cleaned regularly. Wash sneakers & put talcum powder in other shoes. The hands need to be kept clean & dry. Teach children to dry hands completely & use antibacterial soap. Teach them not to touch face. WASH REGULARLY. Don’t just wash but SCRUB WITH A BRUSH the toenails & fingernails. They probably get frequent ear aches & Eye infections too. It’s all about CLEAN.

Its very rarely thatthey fall off in hand foot and mouth but they will fall off if a child has a bacteria infection or fungal infection .

1 Like

I have a thriod problem,it causes my nails to be brittle.

You might be exposed to something pretty toxic. Water , soil, factories nearby, mining. Wow though, I hope you figure out what’s causing it soon.

Psoriatic arthritis can cause this. My dad and I have it as does my 22 year old son and we have all lost random toe nails. Not often, I am 52 and it’s happened twice to me.

3 Likes

Vitamin deficiency. Happened to my granddaughter when the school was pushing reading fat contents on labels and she wouldnt eat anything with meat or fat. We put her on viamins and it stopped.

I’d get to the pediatrician

1 Like

Sounds like they are Vitamin D deficiency…but always take them to their pediatrician first & foremost…

4 Likes

Hand foot and mouth disease. They could have had it without getting any visible blisters. A few weeks after they are better the nails kinda peel away… I would still ask doctors

3 Likes

There’s been a few cases that I know of going around kids having hand foot and mouth

1 Like

Sounds like a fungus or, as far as the toenail, shoes that are too tight cause that.

3 Likes

I had it when I was young it was a vitamin c deficiency but call the dr

Yes take them to your family dr asap! Why would you even wait when it happened to the second one! If these ppl are not drs you don’t know what could be going on with your children! Call your doctor in the morning for your next possible appointment! !! These are your children, what are you thinking!?

2 Likes

I have a vitamin D deficiency. My tie/ finger nails break easily and are thin and soft. Ask their Pediatrician to check their Vitamin D levels.

1 Like

Check there electrolytes and minerals. Sometimes imbalances can cause this. Check their skin as well sometimes this can go hand in hand with some skin issues. Consult with their pediatrician especially since no trauma

2 Likes

This can happen if the children have hand, foot and mouth. You need to take them to their pediatrician. Could be something worse

Shoes too Tight. Or Walking Barefoot & stubbing Their Toes & Fungus Getting it Under Toenails. Pour White Vinegar on their Feet After Showers or Bath . Fr 4 days. Then Put Socks on Them After Baths & Vinegar. Their Nails Will Grow Back. They Also Need A Children’s Good Vitamin Daily Like " One A Day "!!!

Go to the doctor sounds like a fungus!!

4 Likes

Idk about randomly but I had mine come off on my toe because I opened a door with my foot in the way so it ripped my toe nail off when I was 5 :confused:

Have you taken them to a doctor?

1 Like

How many of the people answering the question are medical professionals?

2 Likes

NOT A FACEBOOK QUESTION! Call the Dr. If you don’t have a dr, take to the hospital… Not a clinic. And they will help you find a dr, and help find a way to cover the cost. Here is why… You can’t afford it. They dont get paid. There are progranms and what not to help them get paid.

This is not normal.

1 Like

Call your family doctor or pediatrician. Getting random medical advice online can be dangerous.

You might try vitamins it helped me

Go to dermatologist.

1 Like

Time to check with a doctor.

Take the children to see the doctor! You don’t need random advice…consult an expert…please!

They need to eat veggies

1 Like

Go to the doctor, don’t come to Facebook for medical advice

I would take them to the doctor and ask them.

I think you need to get them to a Dr.

Its nail fungus it happens if they play in the dirt and dont wash their hands

2 Likes

Wait a minute… You’ve only seen them lose their nails when slammed in a door??? Did any one else catch that???

4 Likes

I have lost toe nails from working in shoes that are the wrong size ( because they were too cute and didn’t have half a size up) other than that…maybe a vitimin deficiency. Weird that it’s both of them, so maybe a fungus?

Dr advice only on this… Too many things could cause something bad… Just call the dr

5 Likes

What does your pediatrician say??

go to a clinician/physician. Nobody who is a medical professional will just guess.

Take to family dr or pediatrician.
2. Do not ask on fb since there is a barrage of responses which does not help your situation.
A doctor will give you straight answers as well as corrective measures to take.

You need to go to your podiatrist or family physician .

1 Like

Because might be they are lacking in their diet. Jello. Lots of it. Or you can buy the jelly tabs over the counter It is also for your hair. At this point of time I’m lacking the name
But. 100% I’ve had no nail due to lacking
Of Karatin

Oh. I remember it’s
Lacking of. “Keratin “

I would take them to the Doctor.

1 Like

Time for the pediatrician!

1 Like

My suggestion is to go to your doctor.

1 Like

Call your pediatrician ASAP. Dyskeratosis Congenita in Children - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center

Yep hand foot and mouth

Take them to a doctor!

Call your Dr… Stop asking Facebook

Bad medical attention has caused it

I think your water is poison. Have it tested. County extention agent.

1 Like

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!

Why the hell do folk think that asking a bunch of randoms is a substitute for going to a real doctor?

1 Like

info for ya. hope it helps! What Would Cause Fingernails to Fall Off?

info for ya: Fingernail Falling Off | New Health Advisor

My sister suffers from localized pustular psoriasis… it was misdiagnosed as hand foot and mouth also misdiagnosed as fungus… while searching for the reason there was more damaged caused… please contact me

Dearly Presents Can you please have RP contact me directly… I fear my comment will get lost and I’m pretty sure I know what is going on… my sister suffers from this and it is very rare

Please seek out professional help…

Mine fall off due to stress

Go to the doctor not fb

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hand,%20foot,%20and%20mouth%20disease

Take them to a doctor.