What could abnormal cells mean?

Both pregnancies I have had abnormal cells. By 6 mo that after they were normal. And my kiddos are 10 years apart. Don’t stress. Just enjoy your pregnancy and do the follow up and they will determine then if a biopsy is required.

Ive had abnormal cells. I wasn’t pregnant though. But I ended up having a biopsy and they were noncancerous polyps. Nothing to cause problem. They went away on their own but grow back if I take any birth control.

They will wait till after baby bc I had the same thing with my 3rd. They will do a biopsy and clip the cells. Mine was not cancer but they said if I waited that it would/could eventually turn to cancer over time.

Mine comes back this way often. It’s never been anything after a retest and close watch.

I had this, turned out to be nothing after a biopsy was done. I was 17

Yes right before I got pregnant with my twins (28 weeks now) it was precancerous cells. My doctor said we will make a plan in the future about a treatment/getting rid of cells.

I’ve had this since I was 16 and I will b 40 this year. I think it’s a lot more common than people think.

I had abnormal cells. They eventually did a cone biopsy and removed a portion of my cervix. That was 11 years ago and it has never returned. I have had children since then with zero issue. It’s ok mama.

I’ve had abnormal cells before and it wasn’t cancer but make sure u get it checked out cuz u never no

I had this and they did a scraping and everything looked good. I had to have paps every 6months for a bit but now I’m back to once a year.

I have had this ever single time I was pregnant after baby it resolved with hormone treatment I did have a leap procedure after my first baby which made my crevices very hard to open with the other three baby’s my next delivery was crazy scary full labor for three days :sob: she was five pounds over all that wasn’t an issue but I did develop ovarian cancer and that was a complete different story I go in for check ups every three months

I’ve had this before as well, for me it turned out non cancerous.

I had LEEP procedure done in 2006 because they found abnormal cells on my cervix from HPV which was missed on my pap. I had the surgery and the series of shots with no more trouble!

I had abnormal cells at my follow up appt 6 weeks after delivery. Scared crazy (because my family has a severe history of female cancers) but it turned out to be nothing.

Wasn’t until several years later I was told that it’s not unusual for cervical cells to be “abnormal” during and following pregnancy. :woman_shrugging:

I have had abnormal cells 3 times. Generally it’s normal. I have also had 3 biopsies done. All clear.

I was told my pap smear results stated that… I went to get another opinion… came back normal.
Sometimes abnormal cells develop in our body and most times our body fights it off.

i had to get leep and colposcopy done 2 times not the same year 1 was last year. everything was fine they just want to take the cells that are abnormal and test them.

When I was pregnant with my twins I had several come back abnormal. Everything was fine after I had them

Happened to me. Had high risk HPV and needed cervical biopsies. Ended up okay but so scary for sure

It happened to me but my next pap smear came back normal thank God

This happened to me a few times and one time it was cancerous cells they just ended up scraping it out with a laser they ended up removing most of my cervix only because it was literally all over the place

It could a polyps, non-cancerous cell. I had it last year.

I’ve had this happened to me about 5 years ago but nothing was wrong they went away on their own

When I had abnormal cells on my pap i had to go back to have a cone biopsy to verify and it ended up being nothing in my case just .

It could be nothing but it could be cancer. Try not to worry until they can test further to confirm what it is.

This happened to me once but the cells turned out to be noncancerous he said it could be a variety of things like having intercourse too close to your pap smear

Hi hun I had abnormal cells in my cervix I had to have them removed and a part of my cervix with it I wasn’t pregnant though and now I need to have more regular pap smears xx

I did and they froze the cells and it came back 12 years later

I was getting abnormal paps and found out after going through pain and torture and every 3 month visit that when I switched they said it was more than like cause they were opening the pap smear stuff long before the doctor came in and was ready to use them. Which then was xposing to germs and air born stuff

After I had my first child I got a pap and had abnormal cells…I just had to get another pap and everything was good.

Me it was only mild HPV which is so common

Had cervix frozen and never had another problem. I was 22

It’s nothing to stress over just get it checked further. I am sure everything is alright! :slight_smile:

It’s probably pre cancerous… hopefully they can scrape it out

The best source for consultation is your doctor.

I had a polyp on my cervix while I was pregnant and mysteriously vanished when I went for my first pp check up. I did have bleeding a few times over my pregnancy due to my cervix not fully closing. They did test for cancer and it came back benign. They will monitor you! Try not to stress mama!

That means you got HPV

1 Like

Abnormal means you have some cells that are infected or cancer cells. Now to know exactly the extent of infection or spread of cancer cells you have to do more tests. It could be just a small area one layer of cells (no big deal) or it could be a whole piece of your cervix (still no big deal) or it could be all the way inside your uterus (not good). The tricky part of this is that you need to nip this in the butt IMMEDIATELY. Because while it can spread slowly it can also move REALLY FAST. And if you catch it in time you can remove it completely without anesthesia without needing surgery but if not… I’ve seen two women die from this shit. It is not something to ignore or procrastinate.

It’s called cervical dysplasia and is often considered “pre cancerous”, meaning a small percentage turn cancerous. I had this same thing happen to me. I did Pap smears every three months (I had to go twice) and they were clear after that. Did another pap 6 months later and was still clear. Most of the time it corrects itself, and if not, they can do a small procedure to clear it. Don’t stress at all!

Mine were precancerous cells.

I had the same thing when I was that age and gestation. The cells were abnormal due to pregnancy and I got a colposcopy just to be sure.

I had them. My doc told me they could clear on their own. They did. That was 4 years ago.

I had the same thing happen to me all I have to do is do 6 month check up instead of annual sometimes they even ask me to come every 3 months just to make sure it doesn’t grow.

It’s been 6 years since and thankfully it’s still nothing that has alarmed them . I haven’t gone this year though you just reminded me to re schedule my missed appointment :sob:

Mine came back negative/ Benin. They did a biopsy. No it won’t hurt your pregnancy or harm the baby. I had mine done at 30 weeks. I’m a year post partum. I’m supposed to have it tested every so many years.

How old is this post.

Another reason is HPV

2004 , pregnant with my 2nd I had to get my cervix scraped and tested. Luckily then came back ok. But… ever since then my paps would always come back abnormal. Fast forward to 2018 after 2 more pregnancies, I’m hpv16 positive :frowning: I’m currently undergoing paps to make sure it hasn’t progressed and to discuss treatments if I do come back with cervical cancer.
I went years after 2012 with my last child without paps. Please dont make that mistake. :purple_heart:

Did you have sex a day or 2 before your pelvic? That can show as abnormal cells

Abnormal cells are a sign of HPV. Most women get it. It clears after a year for most women. It is important to follow up in a year and see what they say

2 Likes

I’ve had it multiple times. I did end up having a LEEP procedure done to remove them. The risk of pregnancy is because pregnancy causes cells to reproduce more rapidly. They tell everyone there is risk of cervical cancer. You probably have HPV which is very very common and causes abnormal cells. If you’re worried, talking to your doc is going to give you more peace of mind than all of us. I don’t think they can do much though now that you’re pregnant

1 Like

Long before I ever was pregnant I had a routine Pap Smear. The doctor looked at my cervix and said I had some possibly abnormal cells at 11 o’clock. He took a sample then used a CO2 disk on a long rod to “burn” off the rest. I was about 30 then. I am now 70 and TTL nothing more ever happened on it because the cells were normal.

FYI You get a surprise when you hit 65. HMOs only give you Pap Smears if you have cancer, etc., in your family. In other words, bye-bye OBGYN, the actuarial say their cost-benefit analysis does not warrant the expense. I think I will ask for one from NY doctor anyway when it has been 5 full years.

Good luck everyone with your pregnancies. Bless you all and may you be well and your babies healthy. :baby:

My story was bad, so I’ll leave it out. I always say get a second opinion if you get cervical cancer diagnosis. I wish I had saved my eggs when I had the opportunity! I wish you all the best & a healthy pregnancy.

I had abnormal cells this pregnancy and it just came back to be non cancerous cysts. Just get the further testing done so youll know momma. I wish you well.:heart:

Don’t be alarmed
Sometimes it’s nothing you might do another pap and it’s fine
Happened to me once and I was freaking out and it was nothing I repeated the pap and was good

Why didn’t you ask your doctor this when you were there??

1 Like

This is very common.

I had the exact same result, had a biopsy taken on the 14/12 found out I was pregnant 16/12 results came back all clear. I’m now 5 months pregnant. Try not to worry I know it’s easier said than done. Make sure you get booked in for another appointment once baby is here xx

I had abnormal cells and HPV in my 20’s. Had to get culposcopys every 6 months for years to make sure I didnt get cancer. Went back routinely for years. Then in my 30’s all my papsmears starting coming back normal. No HPV, no abnormal cells. So weird. My doctor said men and women can get HPV and cause abnormal cells. And if your immune system is strong enough it can fight off HPV by itself. Some people aren’t so lucky. Now we have the HPV vaccine. Hopefully men and women dont have to go through all that now. Best wishes to you!!!

Happened to me, had to have LEEP surgery (part of cervix) removed…4 yrs ago totally fine since…no more kids (was ok for me) they will of course wait til you deliver ( if that’s even it) there are many other things besides cancer, most likely precautions

1 Like

My sister has had abnormal cells found 2 times over the past 8 years. Her ob/gyno has scraped them out and had a biopsy done. Both times came back negative for cancer. It just lead to her having pap smears done more often than usual.

11 Likes

I just got my results back from abnormal cells. They came back completely fine. Don’t stress i know its hard but its not healthy for baby and you.

1 Like

I had this my whole second pregnancy which was 9 years ago, it was abnormal until I had her then it went back too normal.

I tested positive for HPV and I think they said CIN2 back in 2009. They monitored me by giving me colposcopies every 6 mths for 2yrs and then yearly up until September 2013. There was no changes to my abnormal cells but they decided to remove them with the LLETZ procedure. I had a checkup 3 mths after surgery and have been clear ever since

1 Like

I Had Abnormal Cells In 2016. As Soon As I Had Baby, They Did A Biopsy & She Was Able To Scrape Out Most Of The Abnormal Cells. I Have Low Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions… The Risk For Cancer With These Is Very Low And They Are Being Monitored Every Few Months.
Don’t Stress! It’s Usually Nothing Or Something Very Minor So Don’t Stress Over It! I Know You Will Be Fine❤️

2 Likes

Mine is more on the flip side… Found out while I was pregnant that I had cervical cancer. It’s hereditary in my family. At least one of us every generation gets it. I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 months after I had my daughter. Mine is a rare occurrence though. Just breath momma! Everything will turn out alright and soon you’ll have that beautiful baby in your arms

4 Likes

I had abnormal cells too. Next pap was normal. Try not to stress too much. It’s very common as you can see. They will check again next pap. Good luck with your pregnancy!

10 Likes

Listen to your Dr. Do what is recommended, everyone is different. Dr’s will most often err on side of caution for your sake. Precancerous cells doesn’t mean you have cancer, or will get it,but the possibility is there. Doesn’t mean you have HPV either. A LEEP procedure doesn’t mean you can’t have any more kids either. PLEASE get professional advice and answers from your Dr, not here.

1 Like

It happened to me. After my daughter was born had a cryo procedure to freeze them off. I was good to go after that.

3 Likes

I’ve had abnormal paps since I was 16. No cause or reason for it. And it mainly happens when I’m pregnant. Most of the time though the cause is hpv which leads to cancer

1 Like

It usually means you have HPV and are at higher risk of developing cervical cancer
You may need a colposcopy for biopsy
You may need a LEEP to remove the cells
You’ll need to get a pap smear every year to monitor

9 Likes

Sometimes they can right themselves, doesn’t always mean cancer

2 Likes

Happened to me, they wanted to just wait til my next annual exam to look. I went in anyway, teyu did a biopsy and all was well. It’s comkon to have abnormal cells that are nothing. At least, that’s what my doctor told me!

Over the last 12yr I’ve had abnormal cells show up a few times. It’s always self resolved and been nothing

1 Like

It can be nothing, it can be something. 2 years ago I did as well. We decided to have our youngest after that… just in case. I gave birth in July and by November I had a hysterectomy because it had changed from ascus cells to CIN3 in a year.

For my mom, she had a leep and hasn’t a
Had a problem since. They leep didn’t work for me it just came right back. Are you hpv positive by chance.? That has a lot to do with it, at least in my case

It happened to me. My next pap postpartum was normal, every one has been normal
Since- 10 years later.

2 Likes

I commend the admittance of HPV . I myself have it. Same thing abnormal pap smears… not many admit it💗 I would ask for more information from Dr but to me it seems he isn’t too worried…

2 Likes

Abnormal cells here…went for a biopsy …week later I had a leep. 11 years later all is good :blush:

1 Like

I have had them for over a decade on and off, had treatment to burn them, multiple biopsies and had 2 colpolsocopy whilst pregnant. It’s all fine once you keep an eye on them,nothing to worry about DO NOT MISS YOUR APPOINTMENTS/CHECKUPS…

I had abnormal cells all my 20s and 30s, getting LEEP and freezing of cells. I was very close to a hysterectomy. They came back mid grade then low grade for years. Then gone. I stress getting a pap every year.

2 Likes

Had this when I was 18-19 had leep surgery had paps done more frequently then normal for a couple of years and just got cleared a few years ago to get paps done within the normal timeframe as everyone else and have been good since.

I had this before, they did a biopsy and it turned out to be nothing at all. Just had me come back every year instead of every 3

1 Like

I have had abnormal cells a couple of times …first time 17 years ago …and it’s nothing…I just have to keep an eye on it by being regular with my pap tests

I completely understand your concerns, I’d be worried as well. Your doctor may want to perform more tests and take more samples of those cells to determine if it’s something serious to worry about. I’m not sure if an HPV test was done, but that could be the culprit. It is quite common for people to have it and not know it. And without a reason to look for it, they may never find out.

Try not to worry abnormal cells doesn’t necessarily mean cancer cells. Xx

This happened to me at a clinic. I went to my regular doc afterwards and he said I was fine. Clinics just say you have abnormal cells and need a cryo for money. That’s how they get their funding. I would not worry and get a second opinion. I did . I was fine. Don’t stress

I wish doctors would explain a little bit more :roll_eyes: and not release a patient to worry. These are usually non concerning after more tests can confirm

You will be recalled yearly now to have more smears. They may send you to colposcopy for a good look, and another smear. The decide from there. I had cold coagulation done on mine, had a few clear smears then again one with abnormalities, went to colposcopy again and nothing to be seen xxxx

1 Like

Same thing happened to me. After giving birth I had a procedure done and all has been well for 21 years now.

Had the same thing when I was pregnant back in 1980. I carried my baby full turm and then had them removed by freezing.

1 Like

I had this with two of my pregnancies and ended up disappearing after both births.

Did you have sex prior to your appt? It could just be your partners sperm. That happened with me and my husband when I was pregnant.

Oh no dont stress or worry talk to your doctor about it, it can mean many things I had the same problem but I’ve had 3 kids and pregnant with 4th one now, are body changes so much that sometimes are body’s take it differently so dont worry and talk to your doctor

I did too but it ended up being from an infection. Did they test you for infections as well?

Abnormal cells are extremely common and easy to sort

Abnormal pap is common during pregnancy

Could simply be from pregnancy. Could be false results. Have it rechecked.

1 Like

i’m 19 years free of cervical cancer :blush:

2 Likes

I had cervical cancer had a leep procedure to remove …

It’s happened to me because I have hpv. They do a biopsy and sometimes nothing shows up… it clears up on it’s own. It’s probably nothing to worry about. They test you more often just to be sure. Don’t worry. Congrats!

1 Like

Go back to your doctor and ask those questions