What could cause my daughters head to be measuring bigger than her body?

My baby’s head was off the charts in utero and her body was not. Please try not to worry.

My daughters head measured way bigger then it should have. She’s fine.

She still has a big head too :woman_shrugging:t2:

Take a breath!
I understand being concerned. Really. I get it. but generally speaking if it was something you needed to worry about particularly in the immediate sense they would have addressed it already. Either at the ultrasound or they would have contacted you before you contacted them.

I had a growth ultrasound at 29 with my oldest…right?
The tech couldn’t see my cervix because my son’s head was in the way. She did tv ultrasound. Called the doctor. And was told I needed to go back in a week for another. Apparently my cervix had started to funnel indicating potential preterm labor.
Even though it isn’t abnormal for some opening and minor dialating to happen at 29 weeks they were still cautious.

That said… Percentiles are based off averages of other babies at that many gestational weeks…
They’re not always right.
They don’t always mean much.
They told me my youngest would be 10 pounds.
He was 6 pounds.

My oldest kiddo is low on growth percentile…
2nd percentile for height…his primary actually sent us to Endo over it…
He’s just small…if you look at genetic predictions and growth plates… he’s where he’s supposed to be. I’m 5’1. His bio-dad is 5’6. 🤷 I mean I’m glad she wanted to be sure…but it’s not anything we need to be worried about

2 Likes

Get her pituitary gland checked out…

Don’t make yourself crazy. They would have had you in the office immediately if there was anything to be concerned about.

2 Likes

My baby had almost the exact same as your percentile and he came out fine. Nothing wrong. very healthy he is now 2 and a half

Out of my 3 almost 4 babies I had 2 with 90th percentile heads. One is 9 years old and smart as heck lol. They were perfectly fine.

My son’s head has always been off the charts. No issues from it and he is completely healthy normal kid. I always tell him he needed a big head to hold that genius brain he has. His dad has an unusually large head too lol

It could be something, could be nothing. It’s hard when you’re in the limbo of not knowing since you couldn’t reach the doctor. I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time getting answers.

If it were me, I’d request an appointment asap to speak with your OB if labor and delivery can’t tell you anything.

I will say I was born early(my mom was between 25 and 26 weeks) so my growth was a bit off for a while. But my head was abnormally large the whole time. Even when I was on track for everything else my head was still measuring really big.

They made my parents have my head scanned to check for hydrocephalus and it ended up being my head was just very big lol. Even as a child playing softball I had to wear the hats they gave the team for the coaches and had trouble fitting in the helmets for batting. :sweat_smile:

I hope you get answers soon!

Why would you go to L&D? You have no reason and they’ll send you right home. They can do nothing

1 Like

My daughters head has always measured above 100% both during pregnancy and after birth… shes totally fine. Unless they say u should worry, there is no reason.

First and foremost stop googling please google is your enemy at times but if your doctor isn’t concerned (they get everything sent to them by the tech) then u shouldn’t be worrying yourself cause stress isn’t good for you nor your baby

2 Likes

Please don’t Google it. Google seems to make everyone freak out. Don’t take this the wrong way, but it could very well be that baby just has a big head. My sons head measured on the bigger side and when he was a baby, he had a big ol bobble head. He’s almost 13 now and has sense grown into his head. My oldest daughter was the same way. They didn’t mention anything about the size of her head, but she had a big head too and grew into it. Baby still has 6 weeks of growing left to do.

She just gotta big head lol

My daughter’s head was 99th % but her body in the 20s (5lbs 5oz at birth) with clothes on you couldn’t really see but naked she looked like an alien :sweat_smile: I made sure they ran every test possible and all the results were the same, she was just a big headed baby!!

If they were something wrong your dr would’ve called back immediately! Stop stressing it’s hard to not stress but your stress affects your baby too relax mama and think positive thoughts !

2 Likes

I mean…my daughter has a slightly bigger then normal head but thats just cause her dad does :joy:

My bonus kid is 4 and still 90% for circumference and 10% for his size in general. There’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just got a big noggin.

Is this your first baby?

She still has 6 weeks to grow and of course she will be much more than 4lbs at birth maybe her body will grow and her head is done growing….?

If it was something to be concerned about they would have addressed it right then🤷🏻‍♀️

All my kids heads was measuring ahead they all just got big heads lol nothing worry about!

1 Like

My son’s head was big my whole pregnancy and he is a 3 years old healthy boy. I wouldn’t stress mama

Both mine have big heads, they get it from their daddy. They just have big heads

1 Like

Some kids just have big heads. All my boys did. Their bodies have grown into their big heads :joy: runs in the family :relaxed:

Some times babies heads grow a little bigger at first than the rest of the body. My “general” rule is no news is good news….as in if it was emergent they would let you ASAP. If they saw something that required surgery when they were doing the measurements then they would have mentioned it then. I know both my boys had bigger heads.
Prayers for you Sweetie! Try not to stress too much as it’s not good for you!

My 9 year old has always had a big head. Like he can’t wear the same size helmet as my almost 12 year old but the same size as my 17 year old. He has a hard time with some shirts.

You sound like a great mommy already! I understand how you could be worried. I would be too. I feel like if your doctor thought something could be wrong they would have talked to you about it. But of course voice your concerns and get testing done if you can to be safe. Really though the ultrasounds are not accurate. I’ve heard from many people they were wrong on measuring including with mine. They thought my son would be around 7 pounds. He was almost 10… lol so don’t worry yourself too much!

Measurements from the womb can be off.

I totally understand how you feel! As a mom you always tend to overthink but it’s in the best interest of your child. I can tell you that if your OB was at all concerned with this information then you would have been contacted right away if this was truly serious. Your baby is still growing and she still is gaining weight, they may schedule another ultrasound just to make sure that her body is still growing normally if there is any slight concern but I wouldn’t worry to much babies aren’t perfect but as they grow it will become noticeable. She could just have a big head but she will eventually grow into it

Both my boys have hydrocephalus

My last baby my doctor gave me zero idea on possible weight or size of my baby before birth. They said even with new technology it just isn’t very accurate so they don’t even try to guess. As long as they are saying you and baby look healthy I wouldn’t worry too much. As someone said above even after they are born the percentage is just how they compare to others their age.

4 Likes

They get it wrong a lot, they told me my first child was measuring small so I needed to be induced she came out average weight & size, my 2nd child they said his legs wasn’t growing on the 2nd to last scan & that it could cause problems, 2 weeks later he grew over a lb and was starting to measure too big… he came out average too! They can’t get it right everytime on the measurements cause the baby moves & they can’t be 100% accurate anyways x

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What could cause my daughters head to be measuring bigger than her body? - Mamas Uncut

Take it easy and speak to your dr. Most if the predictions they make about baby’s weight always seems to be wrong, from my experience!

My great granddaughter had that.They rest of her body caught up. Development IS from the head first,then outward.I am sure she is fine.

My son is almost two and his body is finally catching up to his head! I’d say nothing to worry about!

My nephew was the same way he is a very brilliant little guy! His head was always bigger than his body till about 6 his body caught up with his head.

1 Like

One of my grandchildren was born with a larger than normal head. It took several years for his body to catch-up. There were no brain issues, just a genetic family trait that shows up time to time. :heart: Congrats on your new daughter.

2 Likes

My granddaughter has a big head just like her father…it is a family thing

I feel like if it was something concerning they would have discussed it with you immediately. Just try not to worry all weekend. It’s not good for you or your precious baby.

My brother’s head was very big. He now in Hs 50’s and has been a pharmacist for 20 years! Stress is not good for you or the baby. Just try to relax and think how much joy you will have with a beautiful new baby!!

That’s normal. Their heads are always larger than their bodies.

I agree that you shouldn’t worry. But I know it’s hard not to worry about everything when you’re expecting, that’s pretty normal and common. I do think if they were concerned they would tell you.

1 Like

Ok. Calm down momma. First things first. It could just be a plain error in measurement. Babies are hard to measure perfectly…they move…A LOT. And you’re talking about a tiny bit off being a big difference. OR…your sweet baby could just have a big ol head. And that is ok. Lol!

One of my nieces gave birth to two children, both with large heads, but they are fine and grew into the head size. The worst thing you can do is worry about it. There is probably nothing to worry about, but until there is, don’t. You don’t need the stress. Praying for you and your little one, that all goes well and the baby is perfect in every way. Hugs from Alabama

If doctor didn’t mention it or call you then I wouldn’t be to worried. Those measurements aren’t always right more a guess anyways. Or baby could just have a little bit of a bigger head. Not always something wrong with baby.

4 Likes

My daughter had a larger head and smaller body. She has the most common form of dwarfism. Not in family genes, just what happens. Like others have said, try not to stress.

my cousin was born with a bigger head. she had water on her brain. they put a shunt in that grows with her. shes in her 40s now

This is exactly why doctors should call when they say they will.
Don’t worry mama, it won’t help. Trust me I know, I spent plenty of my life worrying and it never helped. Pray, that’s not a waste of time and it will calm you!:heavy_heart_exclamation:

My children had large heads at birth, nowadays it’s addressed with children wearing special helmets
Did I mention my children are now very smart adults,and no physical problems

6 Likes

I was told as i was rushed into theatre for an emergency cesarean that my son had water in his lungs and brain and he wouldn’t live and would be a vegetable for however long he survives…my son was born absolutely normal and is 22yrs old tall and handsome and smart and an awesome young man. I believed in leaving it with God…and am glad I did

4 Likes

My daughter was born at 35/0 at 5.5 so I would say overall you are in a good place. The machines can have up to 1# error, so I wouldn’t panic at this point.

My son measured big on everything. He did after he was born as well. He is just a big guy, no issues other than me always explaining he was younger than what people think

2 Likes

Large heads run in my husbands family! 9 lbs… born with a large head size! She grew into it. Also proven genious!

I had same with both kuds, both were born healthy with normal size heads. Don’t stress unless doctors say there’s a problem

I also had a child like this. My youngest child, but let me tell you he’s going to be 21 in August, very intelligent, you’d never even know. He’s also my tallest boy, grew into his head.

All of my kids grew into their big heads.

Tell doctor you don’t appreciate the lack of return call. There are a number of reasons. For a large head. If something serious you should have had more evaluations and a plan

Yup, I had a “90% head / 20% body” child. He eventually grew into it, lol. I hope all is well with your little one.

My just-turned-two years old grandson has always been around 30th% for height and weight and 90th% for head circumference. He was a premie, born at 36 weeks!

Macrocephaly, the term for a larger than average head can happen but in the majority of cases is nothing to worry about. In very rare cases in can be a feature of an underlying medical condition. In utero, babies can often be inconsistent with one percentile not keeping pace with others. Your OB and midwife should have reassured you as it is obviously causing you distress. I’m sure that if there was a problem this would have been flagged up at ultrasound. However, ring the midwife again and ask. You have every right to.

3 Likes

Please do not go to the Emergency Room. ER physicians are not Obstetricians they are Emergentologists. You will have a long wait, get a big bill and no answer. If you must go somewhere - go to L&D - they can probably get in touch with your MD. Continue to try and contact your physician or midwife to help explain the results - even if the office is closed there should be someone on call.

Don’t stress your self out untell the doctor tells you something is rong some measure bigger and they come out with nothing wrong with them I will be praying for your baby

My partner was born with an abnormally large head that didn’t match his body. He now looks normal and is a IT guy.

If you dont get a response from the dr, I would show up at the office and tell them you are not leaving until you get some answers.

1 Like

Gestational Diabetes can cause the head to be bigger but after birth everything will even out.

Your dr should have already addressed this. This should be takin down.

1 Like

It’s normal. My son’s head was as big as his body when born. 6. 4 now

Ask your doctor. Chances are there is nothing abnormal about it. Growth patterns vary.

Quit looking up stuff . My kids all had big heads they grew into them . If it’s bad ur Dr would call u right away . I’m a mom of 12 all big heads lol

My son had a big head but only weigh 6lbs 13oz. He is 39 and fine. Grew into it.

The head is the largest part of a ffetus and then newborn.

Don’t worry momma. The worst that will happen is dr will cut your down stairs to make room for baby to get out. (Happened with both my kiddos). My son is extremely smart. And my daughter isn’t even a year old yet, so dunno about that one. But my 4 year old has done nothing but succeed in his short life.

What does it mean her head is bigger than the body?

You worry and stress are no good… Please please BREATHE and just take it easy relax. They will call you and if nothing call again 1st in the morning. :pray:t5:

Don’t worry yourself with this!! You’ll drive yourself crazy

1 Like

She will be fine she will grow into it hugs xx

Yes, none of us know. Unless there’s a doctor on here somewhere.

For new borns the head is the biggest part of their body… that is why you need to support their necks so carefully when they are first born. They grow into their heads as the little body grows and fills out.

2 Likes

My daughters head always measured at 90 or greater in ultrasounds!! Shes perfectly fine!!! She still measures above 90% for head and 50 for height and weight. :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to speak to the nurse in my doctors office for two days they set their own rules

1 Like

Head is supposed to be bigger…it will even out. Try not to stress mama! I had cancer diagnosis at 24 weeks and major surgery. He was born at 39 wks and 8lbs 9 oz and is now almost 30 yrs old with no problems!

That’s not fair should have explained

I’m Darren’s wife. My first born was measured to be 13 pound and I was induced early, she came out at 8 pound 11 and normal. My second was measuring at 99th centile for head and 40th for body and weighing 11 pound. She was born 7 pound 2 and itty Bitty.
My point is that these scans are just an idea, they aren’t 100% accurate. It’s nothing to stress yourself over just be positive. Even if there is an issue there’s so much technology and assistance now that there won’t be a problem. Head up mumma you got this, just relax and let fate take the wheel :purple_heart: Hannah Harper x

Very rude of them not to call you back.They have to know how emotional some p.g. women can be

5 Likes

Did they rule out down syndrome

Baby’s heads are the biggest part of their body- that’s why it’s best for baby to be born naturally head first.

So you came to ask the F/B experts??? SMH…

My son was same way, nothing of concern.

Go to your doctor. FB is not a free medical clinic!

Facebook doctors in here?

My frist head big head and he was find his body finally caught up with his head, try not worry

Your baby is fine. Stop worrying. You’re worrying for nothing.

Ask your Dr. for keerist sake! Answers from here will either scare you, or give you false hope/ misinformation.

Pray about it.
I’m praying for you.

Ask your doctor not FB.

You are overreacting.

Better have a C section

2 Likes

Praying for you and your baby :heavy_heart_exclamation: