What do I need after a hysterectomy?

I waiting in the approval from my insurance, I am getting a hysterectomy with bladder sling. What did you do for after care, what pillow/wedges did you use, what advice can you give.

34 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What do I need after a hysterectomy? - Mamas Uncut

I had that done in 2017 and now my bladder just fell again

A belly wrap! It helped the pain so much!!

3 Likes

I didnā€™t use pillows or special anything. I spent the first month packing my house because we lost our house due to them selling. I didnā€™t need a bladder sling though. I also kept my ovaries.

The healing process took a long time i was off work 16 weeks, just rest and rest and more rest you can not do any household chores for at least 4 to 6 weeks or you will pay for it after

Walk frequently after surgery.Gas build up hurts worse than surgery and you can get rid of the gas by walking. Hold pillow to stomach when coughing. It reduces pain and pressure. Do not lift more than 10 lbs for 6 to 8 weeks so your incision wonā€™t dehiscence. Clean incision every day and make sure it stays dry so you wonā€™t get infected.

3 Likes

Belly wrap, rest, and save the pain meds for a couple days after the surgery. Most of the pain is day 3 thru 5. Also, watch your urineā€¦ I ended up getting an infection from the bladder sling.

Beano!!! Buy some type of over the counter gas relief! Best investment ever!!!

Gas pills (trust me!) Water, oh yeah, poopy pills. Lol the prayer method truly works! Lol do not push! Cuz your guts could end up falling thru.

I was up and going in 3 days.

1 Like

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per hour w0rĀ­kĀ­iĀ­nĀ­g fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m h0me. l Ā­neĀ­vĀ­Ā­Ā­eĀ­rĀ­ thoĀ­uĀ­ght Iā€™d be Ā­aĀ­bĀ­lĀ­Ā­e to do it but my buddy makes over $ 16091 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://upgradejobz52.netlify.app/

I didnā€™t need pain meds or anything went back to work a week later

A belly wrap and a stool softener and someone to help you the first few days

2 Likes

I had 5 holes robot surgery. I did spend a week in the hospital due to getting a blood clot in my lung. Was put on needles blood thinners for 6 months. Had my surgery in 2015 Dec returned to work in the beginning of Feb. I had a full hysterectomy had cancer. I only have one scar.

1 Like

Good info. I, also, am anticipating having to have a hysterectomy and I am the caretaker of my ex husband, although itā€™s not lifting. Iā€™m hoping to recover quickly.

I am having a vaginal hysterectomy. Belly wrap still useful?

Followingā€¦ I didnā€™t know you need a bladder sling. They say I need one because of fibroids, but hopefully maybe thereā€™s a nonsurgical option for fibroids! Iā€™ve been reading on total abdominal hysterectomy, and the effects of it are scaring me! Like your hair turning gray & crap?? Iā€™m only 49 :disappointed_relieved:. My friends who had this surgery say they were fine, but now Iā€™m reading comments that are scaring me. Like is this horrible where youā€™re bedridden?

I didnā€™t use anything just took the pain pills when I need then and sat on the cough after a week I started doing more but I also had stitches buy my rectum that hurt worse then the hysterectomy the first week was no lifting over 20 pounds

High waisted, too big undies. You want those things to reach above your belly button. Cotton.

Your incision sites will be tender and you donā€™t want tight undies rubbing on them. Also this helps keep a barrier between you and the belly wrap.

1 Like

Nothing. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner the day after I got out of hospital

2 Likes

I didnā€™t have a bladder sling. And didnā€™t do anything specialā€¦ only followed the Drā€™s lifting restrictions and out of work for 10 weeks. Which was really unnecessary.

Iā€™m having mine in July. She said pain for 2 weeks and no lifting for 2 months. Iā€™m assuming similar to a c section recovery. Iā€™ll wing it
Iā€™ve already got my tubes gone and she leaving my ovaries. I think everyone is different based on the type of surgery which there are many as well as what all is being take out, amount of scar tissue, etc. good luck!

Follow the rules your doctor gives you. I used splint (pillow) for by belly while coughing, sneezing, etcā€¦ Use good posture when walking. No lifting, vacuuming, etcā€¦ for at least a week or two. Just listen to your body. I had pain for about a week but it subsided. It wasnā€™t horrible pain just uncomfortable. It also makes a big difference if itā€™s done via laparoscopy or they do a traditional incision. The laparoscopy heals much easier & faster. I didnā€™t need to have a bladder sling. I had a total hysterectomy. They took the entire ā€œplaypen.ā€ Enjoy your down time. Rest. Donā€™t push it.

1 Like

For me, I was walking around Walmart next day. The medical advances makes it so much easier to heal! It was honestly way easier than my gallbladder removal. Your body will tell you what it needs to heal. Just listen to it :slightly_smiling_face:

Not really what you need, just advice. Do NOT lift anything until the Dr says you can. I thought it would be ok to lift my child and I ripped internal stitches and got so sick.

Iā€™m having my tubes out on mondayā€¦isnt it roughly the same type of surgery? I didnt think Iā€™d need anything specialā€¦I was gonna make some homemade ice packs for the incisions sites but that was itā€¦ I feel like maybe I should be preparing more???

I had a bikini incision. Nothing special done

Nothing. I went to my daughterā€™s dress rehearsal and changed 7 costumes the day I was released with a hip to hip incision.

I had it done robotically laparoscopically. Make sure you have a pillow to cover your abdomen on your ride him.

1 Like

Heating pad pain meds might need pads gas meds . Comfortable pillow to put between legs donā€™t lift bending over hurt so try not to . Try not to over due yourself. After both surgeryā€™s watch for c-diff from antibiotics.

Didnā€™t really need anything special. I had a lot of pain in my right hip. No pain from hysterectomy. Found out the hip pain is nerve damage from the position during surgery. Blocked off major nerve for 6 hours. Permanent nerve damage.

Get a good therapist :heart:. Not only psychical, its also mental as well ā€¦you will go thru emotions :pray::bouquet:. Best wishes

First week was In a lot of pain slept a lot body was just really exhausted. They gave me a belly band and that was life ā€¦ I slept in a recliner because it was hard to get into my bed . But best decision I ever did .

1 Like

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per hour w0rĀ­kĀ­iĀ­nĀ­g fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m h0me. l Ā­neĀ­vĀ­Ā­Ā­eĀ­rĀ­ thoĀ­uĀ­gĀ­Ā­hĀ­t Iā€™d be Ā­aĀ­bĀ­le to do it but my buddy makes over $ 17069 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarjobz58.netlify.app/

1 Like

Just as an FYI, perhaps do some research on the ā€˜bladder swing. My friend had huge issues. I decided against it. And Iā€™ve had no issues.

1 Like

I was crampy for a a few days but no worse than my periods were. Ibuprofen worked for me

1 Like

Pregnancy pillow was my best friend.

And just remember to be patient with recovery time. I was not pain free until about 8 weeks post op.

Heating pad.
Large ice packs.

I was fine after mine. Felt great. Now Iā€™m sorry I had the Sling. You have no muscle control at all.

2 Likes

Well youā€™ll definitely need someone close by to help you. Lucky I had my daughter. I had a reaction to morphine and I was very uncomfortable. Itā€™ll be hard to get up on your own and you will need help. Follow Drs orders and you should be fine. Donā€™t rush it. Good luck in my prayers.

1 Like

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per hour w0rĀ­kĀ­iĀ­nĀ­g fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m h0me. l Ā­neĀ­vĀ­eĀ­rĀ­ thoĀ­uĀ­gĀ­Ā­hĀ­t Iā€™d be Ā­able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18943 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarjobz63.netlify.app/

I didnā€™t need anything. I didnā€™t even get the pain meds filled. Just slept a lot the first couple of days. I just couldnā€™t wear jeans for a couple of weeks.

I didnā€™t have this but in my mind a pregnancy pillow suggests some relief just based on other surgeries Iā€™ve had. Ice packs for the first few days then heating pads. Talk to your surgeon pain meds will be limited

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per hour w0rĀ­kiĀ­nĀ­g fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m h0me. l Ā­neĀ­vĀ­eĀ­rĀ­ thouĀ­gĀ­ht Iā€™d be Ā­able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18168 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarjobz68.netlify.app/

I had a hysterectomy a week ago today.
Take it easy, and you need someone there to help you, even for the little things.
I donā€™t know about the bladder swing, but use precaution.

I didnā€™t need anything. I was driving nxt day I got out

2 Likes

I didnā€™t do anything. I couldnā€™t lift for a few weeks or drive, he told me to take it easy and rest.

Had mine 3 weeks ago. Pillow for ride home for your stomach and take it easy. I didnā€™t use the pain meds only ibuprofen. I was up slowly walking a few hours after my surgery.

Do not get a mesh sling - turns into cancer later

1 Like

didnā€™t they have a lawsuit on slings

2 Likes

DONā€™T vacuum 2 days after you get home!!!
Rest n follow postop instructions. Have someone set up to help with cleaning, kids, n restā€¦ I couldnā€™t do stairs so had a bed downstairs for about a week I think (many many years ago)ā€¦

After successfully 5 days of Trading with
Mrs Lisa jennifer and I withdraw my profits I made a promise to her that Iā€™m gonna share the good news to people mostly the US .if uā€™re looking for an account manger Iā€™ll urge you to contact maā€™am lisa jennifer sheā€™s one of the best regarding to trade
Contact her through the name below

I will spread the Good work of Mrs lisa jennifer she helped me earn a lot of money during the period of covid I Never through am going it in life I lost my job fews months ago,i saw a lot of people testimony about Mrs Lisa jennifer on Facebook, how she help people trade on her company I thought it was a Scamā€‹:unamused:i give a try with small money left from me it turn to legit all thanksā€‹:pray:to you Mamaā€‹:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:for making me a who am I today, forever grateful Mama :pray:
reach out to her by clicking on the name below :point_down::point_down::envelope_with_arrow::point_down::point_down:

Ask your surgeon :woman_health_worker:

Whatā€™s a bladder sling

Research bladder sling if it mesh, its really bad, please do ur Research many women suffering from the sling