What do we need for a pet rabbit?

My daughter wants a pet bunny for Easter. This WILL be a forever pet, I have done my research and it will strictly be a pet that I know she will care for. And im a huge animal lover so itll be well loved…my question is…what all do we need fo ran inside bunny?

66 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get baby to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

If you’ve done your research, you’d know…

24 Likes

If you have done the research you should know what you need….?…

12 Likes

Thought you did your research? :thinking:

11 Likes

Join some rabbit Facebook groups and ask questions there. Rabbits are a huge responsibility.

1 Like

This might help out

https://therabbithaven.org/basic-rabbit-needs

I’d join a rabbit group on Facebook so that they can help you out.

1 Like

I had one. And it had free roam of the house and went to the bathroom outside. I only used a crate for bedtime (for everyone’s safety)

Cage, food and water bowls, bedding. Just know even tho you may change bedding reguarly, they smell lol

1 Like

My ex husband bought one. They :poop: everywhere. He bought his and hers then was shocked when they had 3 litters…

10 Likes

This is not going to go well for you in the comments, is really not a good place to ask for animal care … You don’t know who is answering or what their experience is, which is concerning. I would absolutely recommend joining a page that is specifically for rabbitry as this will probably give you a lot more useful information.

8 Likes

They can get territorial if they don’t get enough exercise. I always put a pan or box in a corner with the wood chips for the litter pan. Alfa hay… mine currently won’t eats pellets just her veggies and fruits… says not to bath them but it is fine you just can’t let them be cold. … Everyone took the time of day just to type about your research. I’m not a professional just saying how I always have cared for each bunny I have since a kid.

Guys, wasn’t that kind of rude? She probably did her research and wants first hand accounts from people that’s had them before! I’ve had rabbits since I was 6. Bunny treats, fresh water, a lot y box of your planning on training it, a brush, rabbit safe toys, and a crate for bedtime

My ex had bunnies when we got together. They were outdoor but really, if you have a room they can have to run around in for exercise is awesome. A good size crate, shavings, water fountain. Try to avoid/limit veggies with too much sugar (colourful ones) and fruits and never avocado.
But yeah, a big space to get exercise is often overlooked.
Oh, and be gentle. No loud noises or big animals. Bunnies are prone to heart attacks. Also, if its a female, get her fixed. It helps prevent cervical cancer.

Why would you ask if you’ve done your research :thinking:

6 Likes

2 story rabbit hutch, unscented litter pellets and litter box, natural food, Timothy hay, water and food bowl are prob the basics.
If it’s a female you will need to get her spayed by 2 years old or they have a super high risk of cancer.
You may also have to get their teeth filled which can be $200 every 6 weeks.
They are more  difficult than people think, and you realize it the longer you have one.

3 Likes

Mine would roam then go to the cage for the litter pan. Just have to let them get used to the cage surrounding. I would still cage it up when not able to watch them

There are a ton of bunny care Facebook pages with very educated owners! I would start there and it would be fun for you guys to research and learn together

1 Like

The Misogynist on this page wait for people to pounce on. It’s unbelievable the venom in here.

3 Likes

Cage with water bottle attached to the cage , bedding, food bowl, food and snacks are the basics .

1 Like

“I’ve done my research” had you done the research you wouldn’t be on here asking. :roll_eyes::unamused:

11 Likes

A giant enclosure for them. Not the pet store cages that they sell. They need a big area and hay/veggies. Chews for them to trim their teeth. Hideaway areas, comfy blankets to lay on. Rabbits are a massive responsibility and they can be mean and bite. They’re not the friendliest of pets, and some don’t like to be handled.

3 Likes

Smh, Obviously you haven’t done enough research if you are on here asking. I raised and bred a few different breeds over the years and It all depends on the breed of rabbit you go with.

3 Likes

Bunnies that are allowed to free roam live longer happier lives. If you can’t let one free roam the whole house then a room or a very large pet playpen will work. They need high quality pellet food. Hay available 24/7 and they eat a lot of it. It gets expensive. Our 2 got bottled water. Fresh veggies. Lots of toys for enrichment. If they don’t chew their teeth will grow and require a vet to file them down… Super expensive. They need their nails trimmed which can be hard if they don’t like to be held. They can be litterbox trained but their box needs to be cleaned very often. They get smelly pretty quick.
Bunnies are a huge responsibility for a child. They don’t live very long compared to other animals. I would suggest a cat instead.

4 Likes

Change the bedding eveey other day and put something under the cage to soak up the pee , my bunny would aim out the cage somehow and pee everywhere. We bought her a leash too and my daughter trained her to walk on it. They are fun pets ,but a lot of upkeep .

1 Like

You can train them to use a litter box, but its hit or miss if you aren’t consistent with keeping it clean. Most rabbits get fairly large and will need a safe enclosure. You also need to pay close attention to their diets. Find a rabbit group on FB and get thoroughly educated before you buy one. And above all else, DO NOT turn it loose to fend for itself if you get tired of it. Domestic rabbits do not do well in the wild

1 Like

Maybe do some research bunnies are not all fun and games they can be alot of work please be careful you don’t let it get electrocuted or cause your house to burn down

1 Like

You should have at least 2

3 Likes

If you’re looking for interaction for your child, a rabbit isn’t the way to go. Guinea pigs are much better!

2 Likes

Why are people so mean… you can do as much research as you can but advice from someone experienced is so much better… /: meanies

4 Likes

When did Easter become Christmas and to answer the question lots and logs of bedding. It’s like having a baby on diapers but instead of diapers bedding

1 Like

I would direct this question to an animal professional and not a mom Facebook page.

5 Likes

You’ve done your research but you don’t know what they need? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

15 Likes

Get a puppy pen that you can set up indoors / outdoors with strict supervision\ so that the bunny can get plenty of exercise

2 Likes

Cage, hay, bowl, hay feeder, water bottle, veggies, food, toys and tons of chew things, nail clippers, brush, can litter train but ours won’t litter train. But it’s neat having one! We love ours

1 Like

Please spend more time researching, rabbit proofing your home, planning, purchasing a breed friendly enclosure, bedding, food and water sources before you even think of bringing one home. Join rabbit groups on FB and speak to your local veterinarian to see if they can help you care for your animal.

8 Likes

Don’t give them leaf greens. It messes with their digestive systems. use pine wood chippings.
If you get two make sure they are both girls. Not 2 boys they will kill each other (literally)

1 Like

We let ours roam around when we were home and awake. They eat a lot of Timothy hay, and fresh veggies, carrots sparingly though. They also have treats, and treat mixes at Petco. Definitely need to clean the box often. Good luck!

1 Like

Exotic Vet Corners Educational Group — Vets/Approved Contributors Comment

2 Likes

They are a high maintenance pet. They have to be out of the cage daily. I don’t mean for an a short time like an hour. It’s like having a crawling baby. You need to rabbit proof the house. They will chew anything. They can chew holes through the wall like a rat. They are messy when it comes to the cage. They will throw out their eating hay. The pee/poop box will need to be cleaned. They smell quick. Rabbits can be litter trained like a cat. How to is on the internet if you want to do research on it.
I listed a lot of negatives. On the positive. They are very entertaining, snuggly and fun. We’ve had a pet rabbit. We loved it but it took way more attention than we expected. We were the rabbits second family. To put it bluntly, we kept it until it died of old age

Get a female, males spray like a cat and it stinks

1 Like

I have two rabbits myself. If you choose to keep them indoors, you’ll need exercise pens (at least 36 inches high), cat litter boxes are the best for buns because they like to eat and go potty at the same time. No corn, dairy, or seeds/nuts in their diet. Oxbow and Small Pet Select are the best brands you can go to for food, hay, and treats. Timothy and/or orchardgrass hay are the best for your buns. Fruit is okay in small quantities for treats. Carrots are actually very high in sugar, so those may be a once a week treat. You can go to the local grocery store and buy a pre made spring mix lettuce blend for extra nutrients. When potty training, use aspen shavings or kiln dried pine pellets (small pet select). Pine or cedar shavings will kill a rabbit. Water bowls only. Bottles don’t give out enough water.

They’re a lot of work and they are not cheap. 2 bunnies are better than 1 so they can socialize. But they MUST be spayed/neutered. Even if you have a single rabbit, it’s best to spay/neuter so it will decrease the chance of territorial behaviors and eliminate reproductive cancers.

2 Likes

Get it fixed, I got my daughter one and she became very aggressive due to hormones :slightly_smiling_face: also most females will die at a young age from cancer if not fixed

Unlimited access to Timothy Hay.

Unlimited water in a BOWL, not one of those bottles.

1/8-1/4 cup pellets.

1 cup greens per day.

Wood to chew on so their teeth don’t over grow.

Large Rubbermaid bin as a litter pan. You can use wood pellets as the litter. Put their hay in the litter pan. They like to do their business as they eat.

Consider a bonded pair as rabbits are very social creatures and need a lot of attention and companionship.

Rabbits have extremely sensitive digestive tracks. You need to be well versed in what makes them sick or could kill them.

Rabbits should be given PLENTY of space. Preferable free roam in a dedicated room or in your house. If that’s not possible, a large dog exercise pen is ok. They must be able to do 3 hops and have plenty of space to binky and zoom.

Be prepared ti have your rabbit fixed. Males spray like cats and it STINKS if not fixed. Females are prone to uterine cancers if not fixed. They can also be moody due to hormonal changes.

5 Likes

We free roam ours only in the cage to eat. And hang out.

2 Likes

Don’t forget they’re always eating peeing and pooping so a large cage with back yard no dogs or cats. And yes they make nice pets, just feed them always, they never stop. Almost forgot their teeth are always growing so u’ll need to provide them something hard for their dental hygiene.

Rabbit are not child friendly pets
They are not easy to clean after
Do not use a sandbox like a cat
Are nit awfully cuddly
Are not awfully friendly
Do not do well with loud noises

3 Likes

Bunnies are not a kids pet!
90% of the time they lose interest cuz they dont like to be held or picked up and it’s not easy to teach them tricks and keeping them in a cage is cruel.
If she wants a bunny get a toy and see if the desire for one is still there in a few weeks or months
I spend like 30$ week on my bunnies fresh foods alone
The damage they can cause to your home can literally cost thousands of dollars
And fun fact did you know bunnies cant throw up so if they arent groomed properly allllll the time they could pass away and the surprise vet bills can easily run a few hundred dollars

4 Likes

My daughter raises them for 4H but she got a pet one this year for her bday which was the 14th. Hers is already litter trained. She has a little net bag that she Carries her in.

We have a pet bunny. She is litter box trained - really easy to do! She has a really big cage/ 2 levels and we have a play pen that we let her out and play with her (she likes to eat wires so we need to keep her contained). She has two water bottles, gets fresh hay daily and rabbit food, and has a separate bowl for treats/fruit They are very easy to care for and very gentle, have two dogs and four cats and she loves getting attention from them.

1 Like

If you go to a pet shop they will help you

Seems like you should have done all research before committing yourself…

9 Likes

Pls don’t put it in a small pet store style cage , they need room ! Research they’re diet because some veggies and lettuces are actually not great for their tummies. You can litter train it , it does need atleast 2hours or more per day of exercise so playing with it everyday outside of the Cage where it can run free to play is necessary. Etc. Also nail trimming is important

1 Like

Also kitty litter on top of newspaper in bottom of cage is a game changer. Add some orange and/lemon peel to the kitty litter and it will help with smell

There are loads of rabbit Facebook groups. Indoor and outdoor.

If you’ve done your research you should know what you need :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes

Get a female and get it spayed. It will still need a cage (the bigger the better and not one of those gerbil cages), Timothy hay, food, water bottle, bedding, chew toys and etc. A rabbit is almost exactly like a dog. You will need to find a vet that cares for rabbits because not every vet does, a groomer that can clip it’s nails etc. They can be potty trained and leash trained. Also be prepared for a short life span. Mine only lived for 6 years.

We had 2 bunnies but,had to re home them due to my daughter being serverly allergic to them.For ours,they had a huge cage(2 stories)2 water bottles,food dishes,hay.We let ours have supervised free time bc they loved eating anything they can get their mouths on

Summer Richey she has an indoor rabbit and is studying to be a vet tech

They love veggies, stay stocked. Stuffed animals…collar w leash to take on walks. A box to potty. Blankets. I love bunnies, they have cute personalities :rabbit:.

There definitely a pretty long term commitment ! We have a Dutch rabbit he’s 6 years old litter trained he has a big indoor cage and my 8 year old plays with him almost everyday …in the summer time he goes outside in a big hutch !! He’s very friendly the more you handle them the less skiddish they will be :slightly_smiling_face: good luck !

1 Like

Bunnies are not easy. I did research and it did not prepare me for what I would go through. I loved my bunnies and they were worth it. Make sure they have unlimited hay and water 24/7. Each bunny has different likes and dislikes. My girl loved to be held non stop. My boy hated being held. Both of mine died sadly and I want another but decided wait due to my Father’s health problems and me having to care for him.

So grown people can’t give input without being rude? :woman_facepalming:

Keep all electric cords up they will chew them up

1 Like

My little bunny moo-moo :rabbit:
it def is alot of work. Alot of cleaning to and gets expensive. Mine had free range of the basement til he started chewing on the dry wall and making fire hazardous holes. Yes, they are chewers​:sweat_smile: now I have a huge cage and is much better. I was told not feed them cabbage or seeds/grains as they can’t digest it properly but still needs a cup of fresh veggies daily along with rabbit food pellets and a water ‘bowl’ to drink from; not the water bottle ones where they have to move the ball to get the water. They like blankets/pillows to sleep on aswell. There’s lots of groups out there with lots of different info to, worth a look but def do some research :blush::rabbit::sunflower:

I don’t like the idea of buying bunnies for Easter. Make sure she takes care of it and doesn’t just get bored of it.

2 Likes

Lots of patience. Bunny’s are a lot of work. They pee and poop NONSTOP and their teeth never stop growing so you have to constantly- like bi-weekly- have their teeth filed down. It’s difficult to do it your self but not impossible. Most vet clinics won’t do it. You have to find one that specializes in exodus animal. They need to a of room to run and play and all the rabbits I’ve ever had- over 10 different breeds - will bite you at some point. If you are an animal love then you should be fine.

You really haven’t done your research then… So many animal shelters are full of bunny’s that someone decided to get as an Easter present and did not do all their research beforehand

5 Likes

Food water and big cage

80% diet is hay, 15% veggies and 5% fruits/pellets

Don’t do it i had some they chew everything, electrical wires, walls, shoes everything!!!

Join a Facebook group for rabbit owners. You can learn a lot from groups like that by just reading and there are always people willing to answer questions like this.

1 Like

Cage with some kind of hiding area.
Food container
Water bottle
Rabbit food
Hay
Wooden things for them to chew on…if they have enough to chew their teeth will be worn down… you want this…rabbit teeth never stop growing and they can die from it…
Bedding
Small pet litter pan and pine pellets litter.
Either have a rough area for the rabbit to hop on or buy a nail trimmer…the nails never stop growing and can cause health issues.
Rabbits are very social a sibling group would be good…either get two the same gender or her them fixed young.
Be careful about giving human foods or too much outdoor vegetation as rabbits have a delicate system and can die from diarrhea.

1 Like

I love my pet bunny. My daughter is great with her pet bunny. :heart:

Admin can t you please block this Johnson William he keeps on trying to bother people mamas uncut admin

4 Likes

I highly suggest liking tons of fun bunny pages if you really get one. I have learned a tons from these pages. Example: Bunnies perfer a water bowl over a water bottle. I didn’t know this at first. After I learned this now they both keep a bowl of water and a water bottle but honestly they don’t tough the water bottle.

Check this group out…they’re not easy pets, they’re destructive, expensive and complicated

4 Likes

Johnson Williams needs to blow up doll!:joy::joy:his looking a little bit desperate! Trying way to hard!

2 Likes

It’s a smelly pet kids probably will not clean the cage every week so it depends if you want a pet.

1 Like

Get a female bunny. My rabbit liked bananas, romaine lettuce, strawberry tops, celery leaves, cucumbers, peppers. We kept her in a large cage with horse stall shavings. Some can be litter box trained. Ours wasn’t. Get two big water bottles that hang on the side of the cage. Keep a cheap stick vacuum next to her cage for nightly quick clean ups. Rabbits are messy.

I suggest not getting one and think about it for at least a year and research/join groups.

3 Likes

Just so you know a lit of bunnies can become good friends with dogs and cats. My younger female bunny LOVES my dog. My male older bunny likes my super old cat. Sadly my son took the old cat when he moved out (he’s an adult now). The male won’t take to the dog. He did love the cat tho.

My little sister has one. She started out inside and then as she got bigger they put her outside in a big ol cage. She has a house, food bowl, a water thingy and i think hay as bedding??? But i don’t remember. They do bring her in its rainy or cold. She eats lettuce, loves cabbage, carrots, bananas.

They are so much damn work. And if not socialized well they are not that friendly and will tear your hands up kicking if picked up. I have 2 of the fluffy jerks and if my kid didn’t love them so much I wouldn’t have them personally. And SO.MUCH.HAIR! Swear this thing sheds worse than my German Shepherd :rofl:

My kids bunny was s Hollander lol he was so cool cuddled with us sweetest guy ever he had a big indoor hutch s play pen Timothy hay pellets a litter box bedding he suddenly died in match after hdving him s year no idea what happened

Make sure they keep playing with it down the road. We’re currently looking for a new home for the one my stepdaughter got 2 years ago as a “gift”.
She doesn’t play with him, doesn’t want to be responsible for keeping his cage clean, fed, watered, entertained etc.
It’s not fair to the rabbit.
I’d recommend some kind of outside structure or fenced area for those warm days that it can be outside.

If you did your research you should know. Leafy greens should be 75-80% of their diet, their teeth constantly grown so they need wood to chew on etc… don’t just get one for Easter it shouldn’t be a random decision that’s made. It took us months and months to be sure we were ready. They aren’t cheap and they get lonely. As for cages you can’t get a small one … if honestly get a dog kennel like the size for a Great Dane if you get a cage

4 Likes

I highly support the comment above to think on it for a while while you research in bunny groups. They are a 10+ year commitment. Rabbits are considered exotic pets and need rabbit savvy vet care. They should be spayed/neutered once old enough as well as receiving the RHDV vaccination (both shots). Cages are absolutely NOT adequate spaces for buns. ExPens are a good enclosure solution. They drink from bowls, not bottles and need a constant abundant supply of good quality hay. There’s SO much more to basic bunny care. If you’re serious about bringing a rabbit home, please adopt, don’t shop.

1 Like

I suggest making that decision when it’s NOT Easter. To make sure the novelty isn’t going to wear off. You really haven’t done any type of research, because you have no idea the amount of bunnies stuck in shelters now, because people had this same “idea”

3 Likes

I love my bunny! They need to be fixed,300,-400 dollars. Need a Diet is mostly hay, small amount of good pellets. Small amounts of greens-fruits, just for snacks, they are high in sugar. Small litter box with stove heating pellets. Water bowl. Need exercise daily, my Albert is free roams when we are home. Need a bunny savey vets. My bunny lives with 2 big dogs and a cat. They are best friends.

1 Like

If you did your research you shouldn’t have to ask the question.

5 Likes

“I’ve done my research… but please tell me the care they need” :roll_eyes: there’s a reason these people want to post anonymously… they know they sound dumb af. That or this page just makes crap up

13 Likes

Had a small male bunny that was litter box trained like a cat.

Please don’t get a bunny for Easter. Nobody should unless they have been researching and planning for at least a year. They need to be maintained and taken care of obviously, so she could lose interest and then what are you going to do?

Good luck even finding one. Pet stores don’t usually sell rabbits during Easter time because they’re ditched a few weeks after the holidays.
Also, if you’ve done so much research, shouldn’t you know what to get :thinking:

5 Likes

Tracy Melinda !! This post is for YOU!!

My dad made me a cage and we feed him every day and let him run the house after awhile got to get them used to potty in the cage then at night when we was in bed put him back in his cage did the same with a ginnypig

If you have done your research, then you should know what you need for the rabbit…

5 Likes