What do we need for a pet rabbit?

We have a pet rabbit, he had a cage for the first few months, but he was always so loud and messy in it, so I litter box trained him and he’s been out of a cage for 2 years with no big issues, I have him in his own room since I have dogs and cats, just know they need mostly hay in their diet

2 Likes

Rabbits are hard work and aren’t Easter gifts😤 They need a secure free roam area, not a hutch. Prepare to have chairs, couches, cables, carpets, bedsheets etc chewed up. No other animals can be trusted with them. They need gentle attention on the ground, NOT picked up and played with. They’re like having a dog, cat and a rat together. They’re hilarious but they’re not easy for beginners.

2 Likes

Well first find out it’s sex . When a female comes into heat she humps anything and every one she becomes aggressive snd bites . My daughter learned her lesson the hard way. Keep there’ cage clean fresh water and rabbit food . You can litter train them . But most importantly is spaying of neutering

Some people are very allergic to rabbits. My daughter is. She was once subbing in a classroom with a bunny, and she called me to bring her some allergy med. So that is another thing to watch.

I always join a Facebook group pertaining to the pet I’m looking to buy. I own a lot of reptiles lol

“You’ve done your research” yet you don’t know what you would been to care for a bunny🤦‍♀️

I have 3 bunnies and they aren’t pets for kids as they really don’t like being handled and also they can’t just live in a cage and they can be destructive so that all need to be thought about before adopting. Also bunnies are prey animals so they hid there illnesses and vet bills can become large fast because they need to see an exotic vet not just a regular old vet. My one bunny who’s 9 years old and I’ve had her since she was 4 months old got sick a few months ago and it was 2500.00 at the vets so be prepared for things like that. There’s plenty of other animals besides a bunny that’s better suited for a “child’s pet” so I would really consider maybe looking into a something different because bunnies take a lot of time and patience to litter train and even spaying/neutering then is between 200.00-350.00 and females have a much higher risk of cancer if there aren’t spayed but you should know all of this if you’ve done so much research.

7 Likes

I think this person is looking for info outside of basics, more of experience from people. She clearly stated its forever and then everyone jumps the gun. I’m so against the holiday pet trend but this person made a post I take to say regardless how the daughter takes the responsibility, shes the back up. I applaud that instead of the if my kid dont do what they say it’ll just get dropped. People can be negative, I don’t do bunnies or any other critters but dogs but i hope you get more of the “helpful” responses you deserve

1 Like

Someone just told me that a rabbit is NOT like having a cat. They need special food, their bones are very fragile and they need a special vet to take them to. They get very expensive to take care of.

1 Like

Litter, litter box , lots of veggies and some pellet food.

I had 17 diff kinds of bunnies and showed them in rabbits breeders of america

What information did you gather from your “research”?

4 Likes

I would recommend adopting from a shelter. We live on a hobby farm and got 2 rabbits for our daughters a few months ago. Through my research I learned that unless you get females spayed they usually end up with cancer and die a slow painful death by 4 years old. Males dont make good pets unless neutered because of their hormones and drive to breed. Called around to vets in my area and to neuter male averages $450 and males are cheaper than females to fix. We adopted ours for $25 each and they were already neutered. They are also litter box trained. We have them inside right now but we’ve been acclimating them to our chickens so they can have access to the large chicken run outside. For now they have the run of a bedroom. They arent a low maintenance pet. I think my dogs are easier.

2 Likes

My bunny liked veggies , and rice Krispies I had him potty trained , he never stayed in a cage , just put tray in corner with chips in it and that’s where he would go , he even slept with me .

ummmm no. don’t do that

1 Like

Make sure you have a cage big enough so your animal has lot’s of room and have food water bottle bedding and lot’s of rabbit toy’s and treats and I think you will be ready to go I have an indoor rabbit and she is the love of my life

You’ve done your " research " but you dont know what to do to care for one!? :thinking: I would suggest getting with a breeder or an adoption agency and they can give you expert advice about it. I have owned a couple of rabbits but I was young and didn’t really know the proper way to take care of a rabbit and they didn’t make it past their first year, soooo your " research " is going to go down the toilet if you don’t get the proper advice :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

A cage. Don’t turn it loose in your house like we did so it can chew every wire it can reach and cause a house fire.

1 Like

I have a house bunny.
She has a cage but is only in it at night. For a litter box I got a small white tub thing that one may put in a sink to wash dishes in. I buy shaving for her litter box from the local feed store so huge bag for under $10 and last me months. She roams the house freely during the day, 1st person up lets her out and last adult to bed puts her to bed. My kids quickly learned how to
help care for her. My bunny lives happily with some cats and a dog. If we are away for a few nights I have 2 metal dog pens that I rig up to a massive pen for her. I have someone check on them. I know they like to chew so I made sure to have cable protectors and leave out rabbit safe wood for her to chew on. I toss her some toilet paper and paper towel rolls to play with…she has Toys…treats…she loves sitting in the cat tree and window. We made sure to have her spayed. I also make sure to have a rabbit safe fruit/veggie/herb list and always switching things up for her.
It was hard at first like with any pet but now she is no more difficult than any of the other pets.

4 Likes

Large cage, Timothy hay, pellet food, veggies, liter, liter box, paper for bottom of cage.

And you said you did research…

4 Likes

Also, make sure your cage doesn’t have open platforms. Mine was low enough per all I read, but our bunny broke it’s neck falling /or jumping off.

if you’ve done your research you would know what you need.

8 Likes

Pet store will help you make sure you get what you need

If you did your research, you would know what it takes to keep, maintain, and care for a pet rabbit. They aren’t Easter gifts for kids that can just be forgotten about after the fun of it wears off or the children get bit or scratched because they tried to handle a timid rabbit… or held it the wrong way. They can die if fed the wrong things, get broken bones easily if thrown, and so much more. Please rethink this idea.

5 Likes

100% recommend doing much more research. Rabbits need a lot more care than many people think.
They need lots of space or lots of time out of the cage. They can destroy things as they are chewers. They tend to like cords, carpet, furniture, floorboards ect. They can absolutely be litter trained and pine pellets work fantastic as a litter for them. They need 24hr access to hay as that is EXTREMELY important to their health. You can give them pellet food but depending on the size of the rabbit will determine how much you would use. Many people think it is a necessity it isn’t hay is. Obviously fresh water all of the time. Some rabbits only use bottles MANY drink better out of heavy bowls (so they can’t tip them). Most rabbits do not like being held. They will come to you for love. There are some who love it but many prefer pets instead.
They should NEVER be bathed unless absolutely necessary. They keep themselves clean. They will need regular nail trims as most pets do and always need things to chew to keep their teeth down. There are many fresh fruits, veggies and greens they can and should have but many that are only once in awhile and others that can be deadly so make sure to really research what is ok.
Rabbits are super smart and not a short lived pet. I miss my boy so much. We just lost him just before his 9th birthday and we had him from 8 weeks. He was an Easter gift for my daughter and myself. If you are willing to put in all of the time, effort, cost and love into them it is just fine for them to be a gift.

3 Likes

For indoor you’re going to need a litter pan and a cage for when it’s not hop time. Beware some like wires and some don’t watch to make sure it doesn’t eat the sheetrock. Just like other pets some rabbits make good house pets some don’t. Watch your bunny with cats and dogs

I’ve heard to get very attached to their owners and have a very difficult time without them

Bad idea! They’re nasty. They aren’t these potty trained, non chewing on everything you’ve ever dreamed of rabbit… You won’t be owning peter rabbit, That’s for sure.

1 Like

Just a question … if you’ve done the research why ask what you need?

7 Likes

Rabbits aren’t supposed to be inside pets

1 Like

DO NOT purchase from pet store find reputable breeder also almost all store bought cages are to small ypu need to save up and have it spayed or castrated i avoid alfalfa hay I use Timothy and orchard grass blend and a small amount of pellets daily. Handle often but do so quietly and keep dogs and other animals away

If you had done your research, you would know exactly what you’d need for a pet bunny.

13 Likes

You’ll need a good sized crate, bowls for water and food. Hay, rabbit food, a soft bristle brush, a smaller transfer crate, and any vet recommended toys.

avoid it had 2 smell house out and make a mess eats all cords

3 Likes

You’ve done your research yet you don’t even know what they need??

5 Likes

where’s the research. content with your indoor bunny rooms

You’re going to need a lot. An large indoor puppy pen or X cage (not a little rabbit cage from the pet store. Equine pellets from the farm store is the cheapest litter. Hang a hay holder over top of the litter box. A rabbit needs UNLIMITED hay. A few inexpensive fleece blankets to line the floor in the pen. If you don’t plan to de-sex, prepare for the fact that there will always be forbidden coco puffs in your floor, and possibly a good bit of mating your leg too. A large heavy glass dog bowl for water. They can drink as much as a collie in a day and they constantly knock it over. A box (wooden or cardboard) for them to hide in. Enrichment toys and chewing media is a must. Bits of torn towels or blankets for them to nest is a nice addition. They also need a fairly expensive amount of veg every single day. I did a base of kale, with 2 chopped sweet peppers daily with a small “treat” from our weekly vegetables 3x a week. They get scurvy easily and should have a diet high in vitamin C or they will die, but they can’t have too much gassy foods because they can’t fart and they’ll die. A lot of things you think are healthy are not for a rabbit and they will die. Upkeep is not cheap. $20 for a bag of good quality pellets that last maybe 2 months. $10/mo in hay if you get it in bulk, $10/wk in veggies, $15 for equine pellets that lasts maybe a month or two. You need to find a speciality vet in your area for care. Rabbits are a lot of work.

1 Like

Timothy hay. Lots of Timothy hay …we have 2 rabbits. They love that shit. Mine love grinding pads too. Blankets, bedding. Food. Water bottle. Toys. Hideouts. Litter pan. Highly recommend a litter pan.
Fyi, they do not smell. Their cage will if you don’t clean it as you should. They can easily be litter trained so they only go in their pan. Much easier to clean.
Also recommend a girl, unless you’ll get a boy fixed. Boys tend to spray if not fixed.
They truly make great pets!!! They won’t chew stuff they shouldn’t, if you provide them chew toys. My 4 kids handle them all the time, they’ve never bit. Love rabbits.

You guys are so rude. :joy:
Maybe she did her research and still wants experienced input. Why even comment if you are just going to be snide.

Maybe the gal DID do her research but just wants input on what others with bunnies do for them… Some of you guys kill me!!!
Many times hearing from other owners helps more than the “How to do” books :books: Stop being so negative & help the gal out already!!!

17 Likes

If you did your research why are you asking…

2 Likes

Don’t buy bunnies for Easter that’s not what their for. They are hard to care for need exotic vets and LOTS of room to explore! Especially as a “beginner” pet would not recommend a bunny/rabbit

2 Likes

They love to eat cords and tv remotes, plus poop in the floor.

If you’ve done your research why you asking fb what you need?

7 Likes

God everyones so rude, I think this person wants personal input as well as Google!!

I had a house bunny and lots of puppy pads to teach him where to go to the toilet and biggish hutch that we kept in the kitchen so he could have his own space and lots of little nibble toys (if you can put all wires up do that if not try and hide them because they will nibble through them :joy:)

I bought my 2 yr old a rabbit years ago if j get a boy get him neutered as he’ll spray everywhere in doors, get females spade otherwise they can die young from cancer, indoor hutch or cage, hide all wires and expect your house to get destroyed whilst their young. My three are 7,6 and 1 now. Fun and roam freely during the day. But like to dig to. Hold them lots, we had one that loved being hoovered! Mine also don’t have an exotic vet they go to a normal vet.

2 Likes

She has done her research as is clearly in the post she is just asking for advice from people with experience she’s also an animal lover and I believe if she gets a bunny it will have a very good home go for it but they do smell the house out and need lots of space I never had one but my family member dose and their house is stink even though they clean the cage regular best of luck

1 Like

Hutches and cages are not big enough

Lots of space, hide all cables and wires! I keep a spare WiFi cable now as i have learned the hard way many times.

Unlimited hay always, they prefer to drink from a bowl over a bottlee, as its easier for them. I suggest a heavy ceramic dog bowl they can’t be tipped over.

Neutering is essential, even if its a single bunny or same sex pair. Reduces their risk of getting cancer, improves behaviour and helps litter train th easier.

Also many rabbits dislike being held or carried due to the prey instincts carried on from their wild ancestors.

It amazes me at how many of you just popped off straight rude comments. “iF yOu DonE YoUr rEsEaRCh wHY YoU AsKiNg”… It was clear to see she’s basically saying “Hey I’ve researched this but would like to hear from some actual people with experience so I can be a little more knowledgeable before I take on this pet” :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. A little kindness goes a long ways.

A massive Hutch, rabbits need space hay don’t feed it carrots bad for teeth water bowl food bowl alway get rabbits in pairs cos they do get lonely plenty of hay so it can keep warmand for winter a front cover

Litter box food trays, a play pin for when you are gone

Don’t bath the bunny :woman_facepalming: learned that the hard way when I accidentally killed our Easter bunny. I’m glad you did your research bc I clearly did not. My oldest still won’t let me live that down. Before anyone loses their mind, this was 10years ago and we strictly stick to cats and dogs now for pets :pensive:

Just remembered bunnies should be in pairs or groups, either desexed or same sex. So wouldn’t recommend just buying the one. They are very sociable animals and do get very lonely, so please don’t just buy the one.
Pets stores won’t tell you this and will happily sell a single bunny to you, so if they say it’s fine, it’s really not.

So what you’re saying is you didn’t do your research. Responsibilities are not gifts.

2 Likes

My rabbits indoors and as long as they have PLENTY of space loads of stuff to play with and you can spend alot time with them (as there sociable animals and will get lonely) if not grt them a friend and don’t put them together straight away unless you bought them together, not all rabbits will appreciate another rabbit there all depends on the rabbit. Just phone a vet for some advice over the phone won’t cost anything, just remember a rabbit can live 12 years so its just as much of a commitment as a dog.( rabbits also smell so will need daily cleaning)

1 Like

Do you have a spare bedroom? That would be ideal for a pet bunny until it is litter trained. I had bunnies growing up and the hutch we had was big but not big enough. I think you’ll do great, they’re easy to care for and a great animal for your child to create a bond with. Don’t ever feed them rhubarb leaves. (How I lost one of mine. I was 5 and didn’t know)

A lot of space for it to run so we can have out of the cage time hey pellets fresh veggies brush nail clippers you’re going to have to clip their nails they can scratch I have 2 myself the one in pic is yin she’s a mean little thing also toys for them to chew and when they are out of cage they can rip up carpet chee cords and couches so really have to watch them they are quick about it and also there pee can stain things also helps to clean cage about every other day also a little box you can train them to use one

I would recommend getting it something to go around the cage if your going to keep it indoor! They pee out the side a lot and are very messy around their cage. Also a nice big outside spot for him to enjoy

My daughter has one!! He’s awesome!! You’ll need a large cage, even if he’s small. My daughters rabbit is 3.5 lbs and I (5’ 2", 113#) can fit in his cage. You’ll need a hay feeder, a bed, a hideout. Food and water bowls of course! Cheapest way to get hay is finding a farmer and buying a small bale, as hay will be the main food source and bunny’s need CONSTANT access to it. A measuring cup for food (1 tbs of pellets per pound) I love our cage, my 9 year old can clean it herself, it pulls out from the bottom. Bunny will also need a corner litterbox with shavings in it. Feel free to message me I can send you pictures!! We love our bunny!!

I used to own 6. You can litterbox train bunnies, they need chew toys to keep their teeth from over growing, pet wipes to keep them clean (mine liked water so Id give mine baths. A decent size wire cage depending ob type of rabbit. ( I had one thay was 9 1/2 )lbs ear wipes to keep ears clean of mites and ear infections.

If you did your research… why are you asking here?.

Investing and getting returns is what I ever wanted, I finally found the right manager Mrs I advise y’all to contact her below and start trading with her amazing platform.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Work hard for what you want because it won’t come to you without a fight. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive, train your mind to control Up your loose emotions or someone else will control then along with you contact her for more details :inbox_tray::inbox_tray:
:point_right::point_right: Redirecting...

If i enjoy this privilege all alone, it shows how ungrateful I’m because I got this opportuenity from a post here as well and saw recommendations too. All thanks to the good work of :point_right::point_right: Redirecting...

𝙸𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚣𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚓𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚎𝚢 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚢 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚢 𝚑𝚘𝚖𝚎, 𝙸 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎 Kathryn Edwards 𝚒 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚛. 𝚂𝚑𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚑𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 Redirecting...

I started earning the day i took the courage to invest in her platform… now I’m glad and looking good because I’ve found the best Platform… you can also monitor your trading account and make successful withdrawals as well… contact Mrs Kathryn Edwards for more information and start making money online…
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴛᴏʟᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴀᴄʜɪᴇᴠᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ ʙᴇɢɪɴs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴄɪsɪᴏɴ ᴛᴏ ᴛʀʏ. ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴅᴇsᴛʀᴏʏ sᴏ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛɪᴇs. ɪ’ᴍ ᴀ ᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴄᴏɴᴠɪɴᴄᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ᴍʀs Kathryn Edwards sʜᴇ’s ᴀɴ ᴇxᴘᴇʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʟᴇɢɪᴛ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ sᴏ ᴍᴀɴʏ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴛᴇsᴛɪᴍᴏɴɪᴇs ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ʜᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀɴʏ ᴘʟᴀᴛғᴏʀᴍ. ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀᴄᴛ ʜᴇʀ ᴡɪᴛʜ ɴᴀᴍᴇ ʙᴇʟᴏᴡ
:point_down::point_down::point_down: