What does a cyst on the placenta mean?

I’m 22 weeks pregnant, and I received a call from my obgyn, he told me that I have a cyst on my placenta and that he would like for me to see a high risk doctor to have it further looked at. Everything else with baby looks great, super healthy baby, and measuring a day ahead of time. I was wondering if anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any advice you can give me to give me some reassurance that the baby will be okay? Thank you!

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What does a cyst on the placenta mean?mother

I had a cyst on the umbilical cord with one of mine had to have a planned section cos they didn’t know what would happen if I gave birth naturally xx he is 6 now x

I found out I had a placenta cyst at 22 weeks as well. As long as it isn’t on the umbilical cord it shouldn’t cause issues. If it is, it CAN cause their growth to stop. Mine started out small but with each biophysical it got bigger. By the time i had my baby it was 6 cm. I wouldn’t worry as long as a close eye is kept on it. :heart:

I don’t have any personal experience, but it’s probably bc it can increase your risk of placental rupture.