What is a good parenting plan?

I don’t have any custody agreement or child support set with my kids’ dad. We’ve always kept it out of court. He’s multiple girlfriends this last year, and our kids have met all of them. We currently have a 50/50 agreement (nothing on paper). Seven days on seven off. This agreement just came to be about 18 months ago. Things are about to get rough, though, as we cant agree out of court on custody seeing as he’s moving him away, and neither are will to give up time. He wants to change their schools, and I don’t. They don’t either. It’s really upsetting them. I don’t want him to lose time with them, so I’m looking for custody ideas. Right now, I’m thinking three weekends a month plus days there is no school, i.e., 3 or 4 day weekends, spring break, and the summer we would switch (I’d do three weekends a month while he does weekdays). Then like an agreement when it comes to Xmas and Thanksgiving break. Any ideas for a better plan?

14 Likes

Sounds like a good plan

Kids need structure & routine & if him chooses to move then that’s up to him. I would keep the kids with you & take it back to court because honestly he can keep the kids n file for custody when he has them.

11 Likes

If hes willingly moving away the judge wont continue week on week off. What you’ve come up with is a great compromise

I think you need a legal custody agreement. You should get a lawyer.

2 Likes

Was the comments about the multiple girlfriends needed? :thinking::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My ex and I do the following: one weekend a month, unless a holiday then it trumps the weekend visit, he gets our son a week after school gets out until the last Sunday of July. He lives 8 hours away

I’m going to say this since no one else has…do it thru the courts…he could just decide not to bring them home and claim custody and there won’t be much you can do about it other than go to court and fight for custody. If y’all are disagreeing on things he may decide to play dirty and take them.

17 Likes

I think you need to make a move real quick as he legally can take them without your consent and do what he wants until soul custody is established. Get an attorney and I would be real careful until you get a temporary court order

3 Likes

My daughters dad moved 6 hours away. He gets her one weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer and we rotate 4th of July, Easter, thanksgiving and rotate Christmas and new years 1 week and 1 week alternating. If he wants her additional time if he’s down then of course I do as long as we don’t have anything super important going on but it’s always communicated upfront. I would def get it on paper though even if you guys agree to it cause at any time he could just not give them back. It’s also in my papers that her school goes off of my address. It also matters how far he is moving. Is it drivable to where he can do every other weekend like an hour drive? Or is it multiple hours?

2 Likes

Get a lawyer if you love your kids.
We have a split custody in my family and both parents live in the same area, the kids have rooms in both places, they switch homes every Monday, and the week they’re at one parent’s, they do dinner with the other parent in Weds. These kids feel loved because there is some kind of structure in their life. It’s because the parents put the kids first which is what is needed. Protect your kids and your time with them. Whatever you do, the kids come first.

3 Likes

Good
Plan but why is he moving? Could stay for the kids I’m
Divorced also and I
Had too stay put close in distance to
Dad for the
Kids as parents we make choices as to what’s best for our kids and I don’t see how dad moving is
Best?

1 Like

You won’t be able to decide your own custody arrangements. That is up to the judge . Get yourself a good lawyer and plan to spend some money . Most judges are agreeing in this day in time on joint custody . Lots of luck !

1 Like

I would do every othee weekend. Every other holiday, days off school. One month out the summer. Eith june July or Aug…that’s a pretty standard joint custody agreement

That’s why I don’t do upfront cash

Go to the courthouse and file a custody petition and whatever address is used for the kids is usually where they stay. Since the dad wants to move let the court decide.

2 Likes

Legal custody agreement idk where your at. I am Missouri and ours are very strict. Mother is usually the one the child lives with primary unless unfitted by court. Which is what mine is they live with me go to my school district I am the only one to claim in taxes child support agreement for visitation is he gets them every other weekend. Holidays are split but I put a exception in our I always get Christmas Day and has eve. Then one week vacation during summer only. He has to come to me at all times to pick up and drop off, but that is limited to 100 miles, after that we have to meet half way

1 Like

If he is that adamant about them changing schools I would get a custody agreement set through the courts before he does. Most cases they side with the mother as far as where the kid should go to school you guys could still have a great custody agreement set up and both be able to spend plenty of time with your children but if they don’t wanna leave the school district and you don’t want them to leave the school district I would definitely get some things set in stone saying that they’re going to stay where they’re at for school. Good luck momma!  

3 Likes

I think you already have a good plan. An you just need to take it to court an present it to the judge. That’s way more than a standard visitation an any judge would think it was more than generous. If you still want to keep it 50/50 have it listed as joint custody with you holding custodial custody. He still has the same rights and no support (unless that’s something you want) an it’s still shared custody they just live with you can

1 Like

Have the court decide , without legal papers verbal means nothing.

2 Likes

Just go to court with him because u both have the same rights and he could keep them and not give them back be careful

4 Likes

We do 3 weekends a month. Thursday through Sunday. Plus split. Holidays. And very low child support

Dad is choosing to move. He shouldn’t get to change the kids life for it. I think your plan sounds good. You’re clearly trying to give him time but also maintain the status quo for the kids

2 Likes

He is moving away. HE wants to switch schools despite his children’s protests. He wants to uproot the stability your kids have. This is about the kids. Not him, not you. That’s what it boils down to. Your kids don’t want to make that transition. New schools are hard. Trust me, I was in 12 different school districts by the time I was in 9th grade because of my parents. Do right by your kids. Not him. Keep them in their school. Show them that you won’t betray their comfort by obeying their father’s orders. I had no friends growing up aside from my cousins because of the constant moving around. It really messed with my childhood and restricted me from ever having a bond with anyone. He’s the one moving. He can make the proper adjustments without uprooting his kids. Or he should at least want to if he gave two shits about your kids mental states. Just saying.

2 Likes

Better to have an agreement in court cuz with him being the legal father and he moves he can file abandonment on you and get full custody. Not saying will. But at least with court it’s easier for all parties mainly the kids

1 Like

Anyone keeping it out of court is asking for trouble. Get it all in court and in writing…make him pay child support.

1 Like

Get an agreement in writing by court and designate how far he can move and still see the child(ren). Changing school is not a good idea, he would have custody most of the time then. You are being generous but get it documented!! Please!!

We did something similar a couple years ago while we were temporarily separated. I lived in southern Colorado and he lived in Tulsa. It worked really well for us, during the summer we did every 2 weeks, school breaks she went with dad, any weekend she had at least 4 days off she went to dads, I gave dad most holidays and we shared xmas day. We are getting divorced now and custody is set but we live in the same town so we let our child go to whichever house she wants to be at. You guys have done amazing coparenting so far and you just have to get a bit creative with it if one parent moves farther away. Keep up the good communication and I believe you’ll be able to figure something out

Usually the mother hold all our most of the cards when it comes to custody, Depending on where you live. Most attorneys will give you 30 minutes free to clarify where you stand. I admire your desire to keep him involved in the children’s lives, but you have to do what is best for them. I would not change the kids school to appease him. Talk to an attorney,and come up with a reasonable plan. You won’t be able to avoid court if you want something binding. Do your homework and do what is best for your children.

Get an attorney and GO TO COURT. Why is this such a hard concept for people. Ugh

1 Like