What is a good pet for a toddler?

Ok mama’s I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting a pet of some kind for my 3 year old. We aren’t ready for a cat or dog as we aren’t home enough for that and it wouldn’t be fair to the animal. (Fulltime simgle mom, work full-time, and a full-time student here lol) What have yall had good experiences with as a pet for a toddler?

44 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-is-a-good-pet-for-a-toddler/18576

A fish, hamster or plant

1 Like

I’ve had dogs cats rabbits hamsters a chinchillas fish

Got our son a fish at that age. Even showed him how to feed it. After a couple weeks he was feeding the fish on his own.

Fish or hermit crabs

Well if u ain’t home enough for a cat or dog then u ain’t home enough for any animal…most of ur animals need 2 be feed and watered every day and need a lot of attention

5 Likes

A kitten honestly. When they are litter trained they dont require constant attention or play. You feed the kitten. Give them water and clean the liter box. Simple.

2 Likes

We got our kids (4 and 2) fish they have had them for 2 years and they both enjoy feeding them

My kids had a fish tank… well I did and they were obsessed and named all my fish…

Was going great, until my oldest decided to save my 4 yr old goldfish from drowning…

But… after a long discussion, a funeral, and a trip to the pet store… tuna salad was buried and yummy joined our family… (again, my kids named the fish, lol)

They’d stare at it forever, fish are reasonably low maintenance…

3 Likes

If you do a fish make sure they have a large enough tank. Never anything below 10. Nit even for betta

3 Likes

Toddler are to young for pets. Specially a cat or dog. They don’t know how to treat them without hurting them

Honestly, a cat. They are pretty good at looking after themselves when humans aren’t around. I found ginger cats (mostly male) are very tolerant of babies and children, even ones who have never had previous experiences with children. Just as long as the cat doesn’t have access to the toddler while they sleep, a cat is the best bet

2 Likes

Fish are so relaxing to watch. They can help feed as well.

Honestly? I would wait. It sounds like you have enough on your plate at the moment.

5 Likes

Rabbits are horrifically fragile and very expensive. We have 4 rescues.

5 Likes

Nothing
A 3 year old doesn’t need a pet :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Hamsters are high maintenance like dogs n cats need habitat changes food n water changes frequently especially in the summer when it’s hot , I suggest fish

Fish bird or rabbit we have a dog cat fish and a canary bird, canaries are great super cheap and even lower cost they also sing beautifully (only the males) my 3 year old is obsessed she’s even learned to whistle to him lol

I’d say none or maybe a fish
All my kids we’ve had rabbit guinea pig and hamsters but all when little older. All can be temperamental and bite scratch so I’d say at 3 not good for a kid. My 10 Yr old has guinea pig now and Is ok. But a pet will end up your responsibility. Lol

Fish or nothing. At 3 they don’t understand being gentle. Wait a couple years

2 Likes

NOT a Guinea pig. I have two and they are wayyyy more work than my cat. Way more work than I ever thought. If you have one, you have to get another so they have a friend and won’t get lonely. They poop a ton, cage needs to be cleaned about every 3 days, fresh veggies everyday, hay and pellets everyday, as they grow you need to get them a larger cage to live in. They aren’t very cuddly (some of them, my girls are fiesty and anti social) so you basically get NOTHING out of it besides a cage full of poop. So NO, GUINEA PIGS ARE NOT A GOOD “FIRST” PET. Get a cat.

Not a guinea pig. They require too much and you would need more than 1. I suggest a fish or a bird. Just remember, whatever you get, you’ll be the one primarily taking care of the pet.

None you sound like you have hands full already. Toddlers ain’t really into animals will soon get board of bunny, fish etc. Birds a no go

3 Likes

I would say fish or a baby turtle (so they can feed it)

Or a budgie or a little bird that u can hand raise an teach to talk.

All pets , even fish are high maintenance if we are going to give them a decent life. It’s just some are happier than others to be left alone for long periods of time . Most need companionship and entertainment if they are to be happy.xxx

3 Likes

My 3 year old is enjoying the chickens… but they are a pain in the rear to raise

Fish :tropical_fish: or they have color frogs :frog: or a turtle :turtle: something they can look at and not touch lol

You sound like you have your hands full enough already. Toddlers really aren’t ready for pet care and their attention span will stray quickly. I would get a pretend toy pet or maybe some visits to the shelter to help socialize the animals there until your home is really ready for one. They don’t need a pet so don’t feel like it’s something you have to do.

2 Likes

My grandkids have a bearded dragon

None. Every pet needs something pretty much daily. Maybe go to local dog parks or talk to friends with pets.

1 Like

If you don’t have time for a pet, why are you asking?
What animal, if any, requires no time or maintenence?? … none. Even a fish needs to be fed and their bowl cleaned regularly.
Maybe wait until your kiddo is older and you are ready to put time in for teaching your child to care for a pet properly.

6 Likes

You sound like you have your hands more than full enough. If you arent going to be home enough, why get a pet for your toddler. In the end you are still going to need to care for said animal. Dont get an animal if its going to be left home alone most of the time.

Betta fish, super easy to take care of.

My daughter is 4 and was born into a crazy cat ladies house. (Me being the crazy cat lady). She’s been around cats her whole life and is very responsible with them. She helps me feed them everyday, she helps me fill their water fountain, brush them, etc. A toddler most certainly can help out, but I do agree that they shouldn’t be expected to take on full responsibility for a pet. But first you should know that ANY animal you get, even a fish, turtle, or bird is gonna need proper care, attention, stimulation.

My 3 year old swallowed a fish. She’s 8 now so she was fine. But she wanted to “pet” it and I didn’t know it was in her friends room so I didn’t prepare her for it. She took it out and when a grown up came and she couldn’t get in back in the water she put it in her mouth and swallowed it. So I don’t recommend a fish :rofl:

8 Likes

How about a nice stuffed teddy bear. With your schedule a living animal would not be fair to the critter. Please make sure if and when you decide to get a pet that it is safe, cared for, and loved. Children need to be taught to have soft hands so let her learn with a stuffed animal.

1 Like

"What’s a good pet for someone that is to busy for pets":man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Get them a tamagotchi. When they’re old enough they will have experience in routines ect.

1 Like

For a toddler? A fish. They can help clean the fish bowl with you, and will get a kick out of feeding it. But I wouldn’t go for anything thing else really until after the toddler stage. If your to busy for a cat or dog, you’ll be to busy for a hamster, or guinnie pig, etc also they take a lot of care also.

A fish is best for people who don’t have time… and especially for toddlers. Toddlers like to hit, squeeze and throw things. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

You have a lot of responsibility already and you’re doing fantastic, maybe a pet would be better in a few years, when your child understands care and commitment to a living creature, and maybe there will be more time available to look after one when you graduate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fish would be the easiest

People recommending fish etc, they are just AS much work as a dog if properly cared for.
You can’t and don’t just stick them in a tank and feed them every other day. There’s SO much more to it.

I wouldn’t recommend anything. You sound super busy and sound like you have a full plate. I wouldn’t add anything more to it.
Maybe one of those fur real pets? You can buy them from Kmart etc
Even go as far as getting water dishes etc and making “food” for it. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

If u dont have time for a dog or a cat then you don’t ga e time for any living creature to be honest. Everything requires time and effort to thrive xx

3 Likes

None. If you are not ready for a dog or cat then you are not ready to commit to any animal. I work at a Sanctuary & we are called daily about people not being able to care for animals due to xyz & it is not fair at all to these animals when people buy a animal have no idea anything about the animal & expect it to just be easy. That even goes for fish. You don’t ask a question about what animal is best when you have 0 time for it. Even fish require upkeep & something daily. They have fake pets that would be perfect for you & your child.

My child is 3 & she has a fish tank that she has learned to help me with. We as a household have 2 dogs, a cat & a bunny. She also goes to work with me & feeds all the farm animals on the Sanctuary as well as helps with clean up. I am a stay at home mom besides working at the Sanctuary & it’s hard for even just her fish tank, 2 dogs, a cat & a bunny at times. Owning a pet takes a lot of work it’s not just a heres some food & water type deal. If you cannot commit to a animal please don’t get one until you can commit.

1 Like

There are stuffed animals that are electronic and act like a real animal.

3 Likes

How about a goldfish or a budgie

Single full-time work full-time school? Pet Rock.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t trust my toddler with a rock let alone a live animal! Lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

no bunnies, guinea pigs or hamsters plz… they’re a lot harder to take care of than most realize…

6 Likes

Get a Beta fish they have some really cute tanks you can get!

2 Likes

Fish I got one for my daughter when she was at that age and got more when she was 4+. Get an Oscar fish or gold fish ?
We already had three dogs at home lol. But the fish that was her own responsibility to care for and clean the tank when it comes to it. I helped most of the time but she does it all when she’s allowed to , she was already going to head start/ pre-K and she fed the fish twice a day.

None. They don’t understand the responsibility and you won’t be home enough. Get them stuffies and they can pretend.

1 Like

I would go to a rescue and foster first. They need fosters more then anything right now and if the foster works out you can adopt

None for a toddler of 3 your better of waiting until older when you have more time…animals need time and care.

2 Likes

I see people suggesting a betta fish. If that’s the route you choose, please do your research. They need a heater, filter, silk/live plants, no painted decor/gravel, and pristine water parameters.

2 Likes

My daughter’s first pet was a guinea pig ! He was her 3d birthday present and 18 years later she’s going to college to be a vet tech

Fish tank! We had one as kids and loved it

There’s also the option of corn snakes

2 Likes

A beta fish. Little work and they don’t mind being left alone lol. My son got one from his grandma when he was 3 and he loved that fish.

Fish! They are a great way to help kids learn what it is to care for a creature:)

1 Like

Rats are great. They are low maintenance, smart, can be held and cuddled. They are really amazing pets.

1 Like

We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and we have turtles and fish! My daughters help feed them and me and dad do the cleaning and everything! But it teaches my girls how to be responsible and do feedings on a schedule!

Cats are super easy, just be sure their food
And water bowl
Is full each morning and scoop the litter every couple days. You don’t have to be home a lot for a cat. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Fish are great. My kids loved watching them.

Avoid betas and goldfish. Both produce a lot of waste so their tanks need cleaned more often.

Guppies produce mass amounts of babies and inbreed quickly. You’ll start getting malformed fish fairly quickly.

Mollies and platys breed but not as fast. You will eventually end up with the same situation. The adults will sometimes eat the babies so the excitement of seeing baby fish quickly dwindle I numbers is hard on kids.

Neons, tetras, and danios are colorful and generally less expensive. They are schooling fish so you’ll need several but that’s more fun to watch anyway. That would be my recommendation.

My kids also liked snails.

Frogs are fun but not as hardy.

You’ll need to set up the tank ahead of time. If you can get a gallon of water from someone with a healthy tank to start out with it will help. A bubbler is really all they need equipment wise unless they are in a cold room. Get a gravel vacuum to do water changes. The first month, change half the water every week. After that you can go longer. 2 weeks then 3 weeks then once a month.

1 Like

I’d get a fish, they can learn to feed it everyday. Help clean the tank.

One you want to take care of.

5 Likes

wait till hes older and help care for it

Once were the days where we had to keep a tamagotchi alive :rofl: I couldn’t even do that LOL.

I say fish as well but not a big tank . Small to start with get a beta fish. People say they die really quick and that is not true , I had one the thing lived 12 years . Like what :rofl:

3 Likes

Also a leopard gecko if you want to go reptile route. They’re super easy to care for and clean up after. Just have to buy a proper tank, heat lamp, etc. After that they just love crickets and meal worms. Feed them every other day and always have water for them in their tank. I’ve had mine for over two years. Just do research first of course.

2 Likes

Fish or bearded dragon

our girl had her own fish when she was about 1 years old. she LOVED watching the first tank. she’s almost 3 now and we got a new puppy last year, just got a new puppy last month, and we got a rabbit last year. she loves them all!

2 Likes

Sound like u got a lot going on. So the easiest thing would be those cheap lil goldfish

3 Likes

I’d definitely recommend fish as they don’t need much interaction and will thrive from simply being fed and having their tank cleaned when needed. I’d stick to a small tank or get a betta fish in one of those pretty vase’s with the plant on top. Simple enough and smaller for cleanings. They don’t need the bubbler thing or heat either from my understanding, double check on that though to be sure.

Definitely a fish!! I feed mine twice a day in the morning when I wake up and at night before bed there are days where I’m not home at all for a couple of days and I drop feeding pods in the tank for depending on how long I’ll be gone for and they’re good while I’m gone it’s also helped me sleep I watch them swim until I fall asleep just make sure you do your research because certain breeds of fish do need tank heaters so that the tank water can stay between 75-80 degrees and those are your tropical fish like Bettas, Mollies, Plecostomus, Platty’s the fish that don’t need heaters would be your cold water fish that tank should be kept at 60-75 degrees and those fish are Goldfish, Cloud Mountain Minnow, Paradise Fish, Bloodfin Tetra. I’ve had fish since I was 4 years old my first pet was a fish and I absolutely love them and their peacefulness

Cage animals are easy to care for and maintain. Gives the child something to watch play and something to pet.

Hamsters have short life spans. Unless you want to replace it every couple of years you can go with a Guinea pig. They have short hair and long hair ones. The long hair ones are fluffy. They live 8+ years.

My son got one years ago and my God daughter loves playing with it too. She’s 5 now. Very mellow and easy to teach a toddler how to play soft without worrying it will bite their fingers off.

1 Like

Definitely a fish to start. If all goes well, there’s also small rodents or reptiles that are also minimal maintenance.

Definitely fish.
I don’t suggest goldfish as they can have shirt life spans.
Mollies and platties are pretty hardy, they are active swimmers, and are free breeders.
Also, snails are fun!

My daughter loves to look at my bearded dragon. If it’s something you would consider, I would highly recommend adopting an adult from a reputable rescue. Baby dragons can be difficult for first time owners due to their care needing to be nearly perfect. Adults are more durable and a few mistakes don’t hurt them like they would a baby

What ever you want to take care of… Get a stuffed animal really. People are going to yell you “easy” animals, when there are no easy animals. Some are just easier to neglect. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Fish. We have 5 glofish, a bottom feeder and 3 snails. She won a goldfish at the fair when she was 3, that one kicked the bucket. She’s 6 and now we have 9 total

For a toddler? Stuffed animals.

For you with help from the toddler? I’d go with fish, 2 guinea pigs (need to be in pairs), or a hamster depending on your child’s ability to be gentle.

Why even bother to get a pet for a toddler ? Lol if you don’t have enough time for a cat or dog you won’t have enough time for any pet. People keep saying fish. Uh no there’s a lot of maintenance there as well. You’ll be the one caring for whatever pet you decide to get. Stick w/ toys until your family is ready to care & commit to a pet.

5 Likes

Fish. They don’t need constant attention to thrive and if y’all aren’t home they don’t suffer unless you are completely neglecting tank changes/cleanings or feeding it… ANY pet you get will take some type of upkeep. If you can’t handle a pet right now and know it, I would definitely second think that train of thought.

Seriously glad you are putting thought into this though, because SO SO many parents just get the kid whatever they want regardless of the care it takes behind keeping them. The pets suffer.

Fish or stuffed animals. A toddler doesn’t understand that an animal has feelings too and will often unknowingly abuse a dog or cat. Wait to get a dog or cat till they are old enough to understand when you say “no, don’t do that. That hurts the doggie.” Or when they can know it hurts them themselves.

Bearded dragons are kind of low maintenance. If you get a baby one and hold it frequently it will mostly stay where you can hold it, have it out. They need to be fed, and cleaned as any other animal.

Fish! I got my son just 1 beta and his job is to feed it and turn off its light for bedtime and turn on its light when he wakes up.
I do clean the tank and he helps by standing on his stool and rinsing the toys/plants after I do as practice

1 Like

I would wait until your toddler is a little older and understands you have to be gentle. I know someone who got a little ferret for their two toddlers and they accidentally killed it. She also had a cat that she’d had before having the kids and they pulled it’s tail and hit it and she ended up getting rid of the cat because she began scratching the kids in defense.

Don’t get fish unless you are prepared and willing to learn about how to properly care for the tank and do weekly maintenance. They are not as easy as people think and many beginners lose fish at first which can be traumatic for children. If you do get fish DO NOT GET GOLDFISH. They get quite large are actually pond fish and not suitable for a home aquarium unless it’s over 75 gallons. My suggestion is to wait until your child is older before introducing a pet. Or, adopt a kitten if you can find a rescue willing to adopt to you with a small child. Cats are very self sufficient and don’t need to be walked. Cleaning a litter box once a day is easy. A cat has a personality and can cuddle with you and be a long lived family pet.

2 Likes

I have a cat who belongs to my 3.5yr old. He was a rescue cat from the outdoors and originally he was mine, but because he has an amazing temperament and the biggest snuggle bug ever, I gave him to my son

Stuffed animal for a 3yr old

6 Likes

Cat would be fine. Doesn’t require a lot. Uses litter box and sleeps most of the time. Lol! ??

We have a guinea pig and love him!
Low maintaince, loves lettuce and most other leftover veggies.
Only really expensive part is he has to have hay all the time but my mom supplies him that from her horse farm
they live 3 to 5 years normally unlike Rabbits who like 15! Hamsters are around 3 years as well

1 Like

My son has a Russian Tortoise. They live 50+ years and eat lettuce. Easiest low maintenance pet we’ve ever owned and he’s never bitten or even tried to bite.

a newt or a hermit crab are both very low maintenance and cool

A chicken! We have a chicken and the 3 year old i babysit took over it as “hers”.she knows to check on her. Let her out in the morning…feed her… Try n keep her out of the house… She even picks her up. Gives her treats, etc.

2 Likes

Other than a cat or dog? Nothing

1 Like

My daughter had a hamster when she was a toddler

I did a hamster :hamster: for my kids when they were like 3 & 5 … they loved it … get the hamster one of those lil balls it can roll around the house in … kids love it and the hamster stays safe … :heart:

We just got out first pet and he’s a beta fish named sonic very low maintenance honestly not sure what he’s surviving on bc he don’t any of the pellets and fish flakes I’ve bought him but he’s alive and well didnt need a huge tank no filter I did buy drops that go in his fish bowl to help with his water we have had him about 3 months now